• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

Ormania

Hi my people!

It's been almost two months since the winners are announced for DV 2015 but i don't see winners from my country. Please let's use this thread for 2015 Ethiopian DV winners. Ask, answer and participate. All will be benefiting and helping each other. We, the 2014 DV winners, will be by your side to help any time.

Come, participate. Information is power, i learned it from this forum! CHEERS!:D

For starter let's see some of the terms most often used in DV processing.

1) Visa Bulletin (VB)

Visa Bulletin is a publication regarding immigration to the United States published by the United States Department of State. The primary purpose of this bulletin is to provide an updated waiting list (also known as Priority Date) for immigrants that are subject to the quota system.The content of the bulletin is available on the web address http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin.html

2) Current

We say current when visa numbers are available for a specific qualified applicant. Visa numbers are available only for applicants whose priority date is earlier than the cut-off date listed in the tables

3) 1st NL and 2nd NL

First NL (1st NL) is the First Notification Letter that you received explaining that you are a winner. While the Second NL (2nd NL) is the Second Notification Letter that the Kentucky Consular Center send to your email describing your date, time and place of interview.

4) C.O

Is the Consular Officer who will conduct your interview in the embassy when you go for the interview.

5) P.O.E

Is the Port of Entry. It is the first entry point where you enter the United States of America after your entry is approved by the US Immigration officers.

CHEERS!

The FIRST winner just landed!

Welcome and congratulations for being the 2015 winner!

What is your status? have you filled the online form already?

Ormania how is life in states, I have one question is there any problem with passport replacements , because the passport what I filled on ds260 will b expire next September 2014, I have a new one next week, is there any problem or how I can change it I have already submitted ds260.
thanks in advance

Ormania how is life in states, I have one question is there any problem with passport replacements , because the passport what I filled on ds260 will b expire next September 2014, I have a new one next week, is there any problem or how I can change it I have already submitted ds260.
thanks in advance

That is no issue at all, just take the new and old passport to the interview.

i have already filled ds260 form. but i dont know when my interview will be.

Hi dawgeb!

Good to hear that you already filled the form. The interview schedule depends on the speed how the embassy performs. But based on previous schedules most probably January/February. Just be patient.

I am also from Ethiopia who were in dv-2015 winners list with the case # af***21***, keep in touch , tnx dawgeb !

Welcome to the thread and congratulations!

Your question is already answered by Britsimon. No problem just go and get your new passport and staple them together. Not a problem to worry about sis. Cheers!

Last edited:
My husband is an industrial engineer , 10years working experience having average monthly income, and every time when we discuss about our dv case he is cautions almost arguing with me that , if things goes right (with god’s pleasure ) , and as we have a baby girl aged 4 ,even didn’t know a soul in usa who can accommodate us till we get our green cards , help us secure housing & employment etc he is stressing on how will it be our moving plan? , he is also telling me if things goes right the total cost we need for our medical , visa fee , ticket cost for three of us would be almost $4k , and he needs to know how much maximum dollar will be allowed to carry for our family when we went to usa? Though it is too early to discuss about these things, can anyone help me to answer his vital questions.
1.Is it possible to know the average housing cost from reliable source?
2. Is it to possible to secure housing from reliable source before we move, so as to go directly where we would stay by ourselves?
3. How long will it take to get our green cards?
4. Is not possible to start work before we get our green cards?, how is employment start up process in usa?
5. How much dollars will be allowed to carry for our family, and is it sufficient for our family average cost of living and average housing rent?
Thanks for help in advance

Congrats to the winners and welcome to the forum!

Rolex,
1. Housing costs are dramatically different depending on the area of the country. The southern states are much cheaper usually. You have to give us an idea of where you want to settle if you want some estimations.
2. It's very very difficult to do that for many reasons. You should find someone to stay with with initially. The main applicant can move first, find a job and find housing before the rest of the family joins. I think that would be the best option. You all will get a 6-month visa so there is enough time to do that.
3. Your visa will automatically become a green card when the immigration official at the airport lets you through. The printed card will get to you within the first 2 months of arriving in the US, but you can use your visa in the meantime.
4. You can start working before you get the printed card by using the visa. However, you MUST get your social security number before you work. That takes 2-3 weeks after arrival. To get employed, you send out your resume online, or you can go door to door and apply in person.
5. The amount you can take out of Ethiopia depends on the policy of the government at the time. Your bank can give you the information at the time you are ready to move. Last time I left Ethiopia (in September), we were allowed to take $3,000 per person travelling. But we were travelling for a 2-week trip, so maybe the rules are more flexible for permanent immigration.

Good luck!

Welcome to the thread and congratulations!

Your question is already answered by Britsimon. No problem just go and get your new passport and staple them together. Not a problem to worry about sis. Cheers!

NO! Never staple official documents like passports to anything. Just take both of them.

Congrats to the winners and welcome to the forum!

Rolex,
1. Housing costs are dramatically different depending on the area of the country. The southern states are much cheaper usually. You have to give us an idea of where you want to settle if you want some estimations.
2. It's very very difficult to do that for many reasons. You should find someone to stay with with initially. The main applicant can move first, find a job and find housing before the rest of the family joins. I think that would be the best option. You all will get a 6-month visa so there is enough time to do that.
3. Your visa will automatically become a green card when the immigration official at the airport lets you through. The printed card will get to you within the first 2 months of arriving in the US, but you can use your visa in the meantime.
4. You can start working before you get the printed card by using the visa. However, you MUST get your social security number before you work. That takes 2-3 weeks after arrival. To get employed, you send out your resume online, or you can go door to door and apply in person.
5. The amount you can take out of Ethiopia depends on the policy of the government at the time. Your bank can give you the information at the time you are ready to move. Last time I left Ethiopia (in September), we were allowed to take $3,000 per person travelling. But we were travelling for a 2-week trip, so maybe the rules are more flexible for permanent immigration.

Good luck!
Thanks Tew,
The place I want to stay is either Dallas Texas or Chealse Massachusetts , there I only know sitters of my old school friends that is why I picked the two places. Any idea of housing cost of these places.
thanks

Thanks Tew,
The place I want to stay is either Dallas Texas or Chealse Massachusetts , there I only know sitters of my old school friends that is why I picked the two places. Any idea of housing cost of these places.
thanks
You may want to do some research to find out where folks from Ethiopia have settled, who came to the US before you. This will provide you and your family with a support network and, most likely, facilitate your integration and acculturation process here in the US. Don't limit your search to the large cities and you may be surprised what you'll find... Best of luck and all success!

You may want to do some research to find out where folks from Ethiopia have settled, who came to the US before you. This will provide you and your family with a support network and, most likely, facilitate your integration and acculturation process here in the US. Don't limit your search to the large cities and you may be surprised what you'll find... Best of luck and all success!
You are right.

There are lots of Ethiopians in Dallas, Texas. That should be the obvious choice, plus as Susie said it housing is cheaper.

Dallas is a much better choice for the reasons stated above. A large Ethiopian community is a big plus.

Other cities with large communities include DC and its surrounding areas in Virginia and Maryland, Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, LA, San Francisco suburbs, Seattle, Denver and Minneapolis.