After Citizenship with Name change (new Thread)

Do you think this thread helps?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral

• None of the above

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a bad experience when i was abroad. I don't think so that name changing can easy. We cannot adjust after the name change.

i have a slightly different situation - I changed my last name after marriage, making my maiden name into my middle name and taking his last name as my last name. My passport and ID in my home country was all re-issued with my new last name and all paperwork (green card etc.) in the US was done with my new name. However, I apply for naturalization in a few months and actually want to go back to my maiden name... we're still happily married but i just cannot get used to the new name and want my old one back. Do you think this will pose a problem for me since I'm getting my citizenship based on my marriage to a US citizen, even if we're still married etc.? is it doable?

No. On the day of the oath, you'll receive both the NC and the court order doc ordering the name change.

COGNAC

My Citizenship certificate had my new name but I did not receive the court order doc. Any idea how can I get that now? I am trying to refinance the house and the bank is asking me for the court doc.

namechange at citinizenship interview

hi
my case is same as thinktank007..

initially i didn't apply for name change. but during interview process, he asked for name change(my firstname-lastname swap happended when i entered USA, now swapping back to original) and i told yes. he started writing on my application with new name.
my naturalization certificate printed with name change and i was not given any court doc. other thing to mention is my oath happened on the same day.

when i went for passport application, at postoffice , i was asked for courtorder doc, i told i don't have one. she then packed my papers and sent passport office, warning that, i will have to take care if any inquiries coming from passport office.

now, should i be worrried abt court order doc for my name ? if so how/where can i ask for it?
any feedback is appreicated

thanks
AK

Name change after the interview but before the oath ceremony

I had my interview last week and didn't indicate any name changes, neither did I in my N400 application. But now I realized that it's the easiest/quickest way to change your name. Can I still go back to the USCIS office and request a name change? My oath ceremony is in five weeks.

I had my interview last week and didn't indicate any name changes, neither did I in my N400 application. But now I realized that it's the easiest/quickest way to change your name. Can I still go back to the USCIS office and request a name change? My oath ceremony is in five weeks.

Yes, you can make the request, it would involve filing out a NC Petition (they computer generate that) and perhaps re-signing somethings, but it is a dead end after taking the Oath, so HURRY!

Name change after the interview but before the oath ceremony

Yes, you can make the request, it would involve filing out a NC Petition (they computer generate that) and perhaps re-signing somethings, but it is a dead end after taking the Oath, so HURRY!

Thanks BigJoe5 for the instructions. I went to the local office and was told that the request of a certificate has been made already and I have to cancel the Oath appointment, get another interview and stay in the line for a new Oath which can take up to 6 months based on the number of cases they are processing now.

The officer also told me that it's always a good approach to keep the name on your birth certificate. So, I decided to stay with my current name; too long but I can live with it the same way I have done so far. Becoming a "John Smith" might pose unpredicted difficulties of its own in future.:cool:

Thanks again BigJoe5 for the quick reply. I greatly appreciate it nonetheless.

Yeah, that's too bad. They do ask about it up front on the application and at the interview. When you changed your mind afterwards, they didn't deny your request, but you opted not to go through the delay.

Your story is an object lesson for others. Once they order and perhaps already printed the certificate, it's a big delay if you change your mind afterwards. There are actually more people who want to CANCEL a name change afterwards.

Often, younger people do the name change and then inform their parents. Their parents smack 'em in the face and scream at them for dishonoring their heritage and make them go back and cancel the name change. Mostly happens in Asian cultures and some Middle-Eastern cultures. At least that has been my experience with the matter.

Does the SSA allow you to get a new SS card (name change) without a US passport? Are the Naturalization certificate and name change court doc sufficient for the SSA to process your case?

Do I need to make an appointment with the SSA beforehand? Will I get my new SS card the same day I walk in there?

Does the SSA allow you to get a new SS card (name change) without a US passport? Are the Naturalization certificate and name change court doc sufficient for the SSA to process your case?
Yes, of course. You are not required to have passport at all if you are not going to travel abroad.

Do I need to make an appointment with the SSA beforehand? Will I get my new SS card the same day I walk in there?
No appointment needed. You will not get a new card on the same day.

Yes, of course. You are not required to have passport at all if you are not going to travel abroad.

No appointment needed. You will not get a new card on the same day.

So I will have to wait for it in the mail then? How long did that take you to get it in the mail?

So I will have to wait for it in the mail then? How long did that take you to get it in the mail?
You have to wait for the mail. As for how long, your experience will vary. My wife received it 2 days after visiting SSA office, and I received it almost 4 weeks later. The funny thing is that we both took the same oath and went to the same SSA office. Mine was slow because they were waiting for the USCIS response.

You have to wait for the mail. As for how long, your experience will vary. My wife received it 2 days after visiting SSA office, and I received it almost 4 weeks later. The funny thing is that we both took the same oath and went to the same SSA office. Mine was slow because they were waiting for the USCIS response.

Thanks for your prompt response, Konig. So did the SSA keep the original copy of your Naturalization certificate for your application and mail it back to you later (like how the passport agency operates)?

So did the SSA keep the original copy of your Naturalization certificate for your application and mail it back to you later (like how the passport agency operates)?
No, they made a copy and immediately returned the certificate to me. That is why it is preferable to update the SSA first and then apply for the passport. Even if the certificate will be lost in the mail during the passport application, you will still have a driving licence and an updated SSA record, so you can pass eVerify (electronic I-9) and be employed.

No, they made a copy and immediately returned the certificate to me. That is why it is preferable to update the SSA first and then apply for the passport. Even if the certificate will be lost in the mail during the passport application, you will still have a driving licence and an updated SSA record, so you can pass eVerify (electronic I-9) and be employed.

Thank you so much for this info, Konig. I really appreciate it! :D

so how long did it take?

NEED HELP plz
I did pass my citizenship interview and test on March 4, 2010. As i request name change (my whole name), I still haven't got approval of my NC. I do not know how long it gonna take to get it done. Someone here posted they check credit report, is that for sure? Please someone share me your experience about this.....thanks...

I have the same problem, so how long did it take? Please answer! Thank you!