After Citizenship with Name change (new Thread)

Do you think this thread helps?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral

• None of the above

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cognac

Registered Users (C)
Hi Folks,

I wanted to start a new thread to discuss post-citizenship issues associated with name change. I would love to hear and share experiences around the name change.

COGNAC

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't yet experienced the after life of it yet but soon will. I would also like to know what other people have faced who are in the same boat.

Good Thread, could be helpfull to some people..

Useful steps and lessons learnt

My Update for week 1 after Citizenship:

I applied for changes at SSA and other miscellaneous (employer, banks, credit cards etc.). Change at SSA was a breeze, took just 10 mins. Note that some credit cards do not need forms to fill and some do. So start the process by phone and let them guide you.

DO NOT apply for the passport until you finish this. There's a possibility that you would'nt get your documentation back for quite sometime. Here's how I am planning to tackle this in the order presented:

1. SSA (Very Important)
2. DMV (Need an ID in lieu of a missing US passport)
3. Passport (Although this is imporant, the other 2 should AQAP so you can afford to have your immigration certificate locked)
4. Miscellaneous (This can be done anytime and in parallel to the other 3 above as it does not need original certificate and name change court orders)

Lesson Learnt: There's no need to write to the credit bureaus. The name change will be reported by the above agencies automatically!

COGNAC

My Update for week 1 after Citizenship:

DO NOT apply for the passport until you finish this. There's a possibility that you would'nt get your documentation back for quite sometime. Here's how I am planning to tackle this in the order presented:

3. Passport (Although this is imporant, the other 2 should AQAP so you can afford to have your immigration certificate locked)

COGNAC

Cognac,

Thanks for your informative post. Could you elaborate on the above a little more? Do the take the certificate when applying for passport?

Thanks again

Cognac,

Thanks for your informative post. Could you elaborate on the above a little more? Do the take the certificate when applying for passport?

Thanks again

Yes. Need to submit the naturalization certificate in original. (Haven't experienced this though). Court record for Name change will not be in original.

Also, if you get your DMV covered before applying. This ensures that you have at least one photo ID is with you (with the new name) in the absence of the GC. This ensures any local international travel to Canada and Mexico with a passport appln reciept and driver's license.

COGNAC

Yes. Need to submit the naturalization certificate in original. (Haven't experienced this though). COGNAC

Ok...here's my experience on passport application. I applied for passport (expedited) finally.

The postal employee kept the naturalization certificate in original as proof and said that it would be returned with my passport.

So, heading to DMV first after naturalization was the correct idea. In fact the postal employee needed a second document as proof and driver's license served the purpose ;)

Note: All the passport applications collected by the post office is bunched together and sent in one packet to processing. The employee mentioned that it usually is by priority mail and would reach Philadelphia next day. So, I did not opt for the express mail.

Employee mentioned 3-4 weeks to get the passport in expedited way.

COGNAC

Did you know?

If you have a ticket to a foreign country needing a passport (excluding Canada, Mexico and some caribbean islands), the local passport office obliges and issues the passport the same day. My friend who naturalized last week with me, walked-in to the Philadelphia office, showed his ticket and walked out with a passport. Wow!

Passport

Wow! That is really quick. My husband has his oath ceremony on July 12 and we are leaving for Europe on Aug 2. I am concerned that he will not get his passport in time (and they will take his green card at the ceremony). I think you have to be leaving within 2 weeks to apply at a passport center in person ... so we are debating whether we should wait one week and apply in person or apply at the post office and expedite the process (that will leave us 3 weeks).

Wow! That is really quick. My husband has his oath ceremony on July 12 and we are leaving for Europe on Aug 2. I am concerned that he will not get his passport in time (and they will take his green card at the ceremony). I think you have to be leaving within 2 weeks to apply at a passport center in person ... so we are debating whether we should wait one week and apply in person or apply at the post office and expedite the process (that will leave us 3 weeks).

From what I am hearing 3 weeks expedited might not be guaranteed. So may be you should apply in person at passport center and be sure you will receive it before you fly. Just a suggestion. Good luck

US Citizen now

I got my citizenship yesterday and today had my driver's license change to reflect my new name . It’s not really new; same name just a tiny short. Always wanted to do that. Anyways, next I will go for SS, bank, Insurance, Credit card and such and of course I-9 for work. I think that should take care of all the necessary ones before I apply for the passport. Not in a hurry so it's all good.

Oh yes, while I was at MVA I registered to Vote.;)

Congratulations!

I received my updated SS card in a week. No need to inform credit bureaus I heard. Once name change reached all the different bank and cc, they report your new name to the credit bureaus. Just need to check your credit report after a few months to be sure.

Today, my passport case # appeared online after less than a week of applying. I expedited the application, so let's see if they *really* mean 2-3 weeks.

I did not register to vote during the oath. What's the best and easiest way to do that?

COGNAC

I got my citizenship yesterday and today had my driver's license change to reflect my new name . It’s not really new; same name just a tiny short. Always wanted to do that. Anyways, next I will go for SS, bank, Insurance, Credit card and such and of course I-9 for work. I think that should take care of all the necessary ones before I apply for the passport. Not in a hurry so it's all good.

Oh yes, while I was at MVA I registered to Vote.;)

Congratulations!

I received my updated SS card in a week. No need to inform credit bureaus I heard. Once name change reached all the different bank and cc, they report your new name to the credit bureaus. Just need to check your credit report after a few months to be sure.

Today, my passport case # appeared online after less than a week of applying. I expedited the application, so let's see if they *really* mean 2-3 weeks.

I did not register to vote during the oath. What's the best and easiest way to do that?

COGNAC

During my DL replacement The lady asked me if I wanted to register to vote. She printed out a paper that already had all my information (Name, address and such). I just had to check couple of preferences.

You may be able to do it at the post office. Not 100% sure though.

Did they take your picture at the post office or you had them taken before for passport? How does it work?

Last edited by a moderator:
My DMV did not offer voter registration option. I need to check at the PO.

I had obtained my pictures at COSTCO @ $4.99 a pair. This is by far the cheapest i've found.

During my DL replacement The lady asked me if I wanted to register to vote. She printed out a paper that already had all my information (Name, address and such). I just had to check couple of preferences.

You may be able to do it at the post office. Not 100% sure though.

Did they take your picture at the post office or you had them taken before for passport? How does it work?

Filing Name Change in group

How do you filing for a name change in Court? Shouldn't that be done before we file for SSA and Others.

How do you filing for a name change in Court? Shouldn't that be done before we file for SSA and Others.

saara,

I am not sure if I understand your question correctly but if you are changing your name while filing your N400, this is how it goes: When you mention name change in your N400 application, fill out the appropriate section with new name, rest is taken care of for you.

During your oath, usually in a court in front of a Judge with everyone with name change request (They alwasy try to schedule them together), you will be handed your NC and Name change doc/court paper, which you take to SSA, MVA/DMV, Bank and so forth where you need your name to be changed.

So answer to you 2nd question is 'Yes', it should be done at court before you go anywhere. Hope this helps.

In addition to what zenusa has indicated, you can apply for citizenship (N-400) without specifying any name change. In this scenario, during the interview, you can inform the IO that you'd like to do a name change. The IO will make changes to your application right there. IO will direc this case to the local court to procure an order effecting the change.

NOTE: I'm not sure about this, but depending on the backlog, there could be a delay or additional checks may be needed if you mention name change in your N-400 while filing. Hence, I did not indicate name change before and requested the change during the interview.

COGNAC

. IO will direc this case to the local court to procure an order effecting the change.

COGNAC

Thanks for this piece of info. I am in the process of applying for citizenship with a name change. I am thinking of going the route you mentioned. Can u please elaborate on the statement above. Does it mean that the name change certificate is obtained later than the NC?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for this piece of info. I am in the process of applying for citizenship with a name change. I am thinking of going the route you mentioned. Can u please elaborate on the statement above. Does it mean that the name change certificate is obtained later than the NC?

Thanks in advance

No. On the day of the oath, you'll receive both the NC and the court order doc ordering the name change.

COGNAC

Cognac,

Have you received you SS card yet? How long does it take? Not that I really need the physical card or anything. Just wondering..