Advice! Passport declined due to Asylum in USA

Some people apply for asylum based on persecution other than government. Some countries are aware of this and issue passports to their citizens even if they have asylum status in US.:rolleyes:

Ummmm... I am inclined to argue with this point. It is called "political asylum" for a reason. If one is not under direct persecution of their government, then they are under persecution indirectly. By this I mean political asylum covers both active and inactive government actions. For example if you are gay and your government does not directly jail or torture you, but will also not stop others from harming you based on your sexual orientation (e.g. public bashings and beatings, etc.). Or you belong to a minority tribe and the government does nothing to prevent other tribes from abusing you. In these cases it is easy to say "the government had no direct involvement", but does that mean they aren't involved or responsible? I think not!

Bottom line, there are very few and rare instances in which a government is not somehow involved in asylum cases. After all, any government is responsible for all goings on within their territory. And if there was justice one would seek it with their government rather than seek protection from a foreign one. Hence why it is called "political asylum"!

Ummmm... I am inclined to argue with this point. It is called "political asylum" for a reason. If one is not under direct persecution of their government, then they are under persecution indirectly. By this I mean political asylum covers both active and inactive government actions. For example if you are gay and your government does not directly jail or torture you, but will also not stop others from harming you based on your sexual orientation (e.g. public bashings and beatings, etc.). Or you belong to a minority tribe and the government does nothing to prevent other tribes from abusing you. In these cases it is easy to say "the government had no direct involvement", but does that mean they aren't involved or responsible? I think not!

Bottom line, there are very few and rare instances in which a government is not somehow involved in asylum cases. After all, any government is responsible for all goings on within their territory. And if there was justice one would seek it with their government rather than seek protection from a foreign one. Hence why it is called "political asylum"!

My country does not care if you have political asylum or not, and do not do give a hard time to its citizens.

If the persecutor is not the government then it must be a persecutor which the government is not willing or able to control. International law presumes that a refugee who renews his national passport is no longer in need of asylum protection. The law does not make a blanket exception from this presumption if the persecutor is not the government.

The Chinese government renews the passports of people who applied for asylum but requires a confession that the person lied on the asylum application. I am surprised by the number of people who are willing to sign such "confessions." Terrible.

I don't know it is a good news or bad. Indian consulate has now revised the application form. Now the notarized affidivit doesn't ask if you applied for Asylum. Instead it wants you to sworn that you have not obtained citizenship of another country or applied for any travel document.
Technically, you have not obtained the citizenship but you have obtained the travel document. So, any way you are screwed dude..

My country does not care if you have political asylum or not, and do not do give a hard time to its citizens.

That may be the case, but your country's opinion does not matter. It is the opinion of the host country which granted asylum that matters. And in this case, the US will not tolerate asylees that renew their national passports and yet claim to seek refuge from that nation. It really makes no sense.

If the persecutor is not the government then it must be a persecutor which the government is not willing or able to control. International law presumes that a refugee who renews his national passport is no longer in need of asylum protection. The law does not make a blanket exception from this presumption if the persecutor is not the government.

I really don't know why people just don't get this Thankful. I just hope people do not get themselves into trouble because they chose to interpret the law in manner that suites them.

The Chinese government renews the passports of people who applied for asylum but requires a confession that the person lied on the asylum application. I am surprised by the number of people who are willing to sign such "confessions." Terrible.

Doesn't that automatically negate the asylum? Once someone signs that waiver or confession, then the US government can turn around and hold them to the "lie".

It does. There is a reason these consulates are asking asylees to notarize the affidivit becuase that is a legal document in US.
In my opinion, once you send the notarized document along with copy of your GC, all POC consulate have to do it make a copy of both documents and a 37 cents stamp to mail it to USCIS.
USCIS doesn't have to take any action right away (because you didn't kill anyone), just attach your documents to your file and wait till you show up for your citizenship interview.
These consulates are telling the USCIS that see people you are giving asylum are lying about it and here is your own country's legal document to prove that. I wouldn't never send a notarized document. Again just my opinion.

Well, i needed to travel too. Like everyone else. I did not want to wait 6 months for RTD so I applied to get a my NP. I got with no problems and no questions asked. But when they found out after i had NP in my hand they wanted to see my my GC with the code AS6 they wanted to have passport back but i escaped from the embassy they called me few times but i never answered them. I have the passport but i know i am in their system now and i will change my name when i apply for citizenship then travel to my COP to visit my family. Any advice?

I am confused.. are you in the US or in Holland? I think I've seen you in another forum...

I'm temporarily overseas. And, no, I'm not on any other forum. Anyway, the ONLY reason I would get a passport is if I don't get my re-entry permit and I, for some reason, need to stay here past the date of the expiration of my RTD, IN AN EMERGENCY. This is nowhere near an emergency, so I'm not worried. But, I just thought I'd check, and I guess it won't work.

Doesn't that automatically negate the asylum? Once someone signs that waiver or confession, then the US government can turn around and hold them to the "lie".

The people who sign such confessions probably think that documents will stay within the Chinese consulate and the DHS will never know. I am not so sure about this. The Chinese government is very sensitive about its people applying for asylum and causing it to lose face (look at how it is reacting to the Olympic torch protests). When Chinese officials meet with DHS and State Department people they keep saying over and over that asylum applications are fabricated (a State person who meets with the Chinese routinely told me about this in person). Will they turn over the confessions to prove their point?

I really don't know why people just don't get this Thankful. I just hope people do not get themselves into trouble because they chose to interpret the law in manner that suites them.

Exactly!!!

Some immigration officers became very cynical about asylees after dealing with conduct like this and I cannot blame them. People not only potentially cook their own geese but also make life harder for future genuine asylum applicants.

Some people apply for asylum based on persecution other than government. Some countries are aware of this and issue passports to their citizens even if they have asylum status in US.:rolleyes:

Then don't you think you will have problems at the citizenship interview? The officer will ask for your PP at the interview and if the officer finds out you get a new PP after your asylee status, it will be a red flag! :(

Then don't you think you will have problems at the citizenship interview? The officer will ask for your PP at the interview and if the officer finds out you get a new PP after your asylee status, it will be a red flag! :(

Very good point newjourney. At my citizenship interview, the IO was satisfied with the fact that since I was an asylee I could not obtain a national passport. Furthermore, she seemed happy that I did not go back to my COP.

One thing is certain, they will have your entire immigration journey/history in front of them. And most of the IOs have already reviewed the file so come prepared to the interview with the type of questions they want to ask.

For example, my IO had a print out of my selective services printout with my number -she actually looked me up; plus she had a print out of my taxes - at least the amount I got back as she knew the dollar amount. I never supplied that information.