• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

About living in the U.S. after winning the lottery

Is your standard of living in the U.S. is higher than the previous country?

• Yes.

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • No.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • I do not know.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • For me it is not important.

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
LOL "cheap amber "you are becoming hysterical ..get back on your medication ASAP
to anyone who cares ... this is ONE OF THE FORUMS & survey you can find on the net related to "diminishing " of the middle class - there is of course many much more "serious" articles taken from THE ECONOMIST ,WASHINGTON POST and likes ... check the internet for it ....

a scathing retort! kudos, kudos. you have now successfully reached the 5th grade level. not everyone gets there alive and not many come back to tell the story.

however, i feel obliged to draw your attention to the fact that previously you were saying 'i think that the middle class is gone for ever in the usa' [sic] while now you have downgraded that statement to '"diminishing" of the middle class'. does this imply that you have in fact changed your opinion in the course of one day? that is quite extraordinary.

one more thing before we part. your genosse here, kolja, claims to belong to the upper middle class. he earns $73 000 a year. he also claims that there are no signs of trouble on his financial horizon. either he is the living proof that there is no diminishing or he could be the last of the middle class. anyway it turns out to be, you two make a great pair.

i'm still waiting to hear about your income and employment. would be very grateful.

Guys cool it....this forum is to help people not to be used to offend each other ...you can't call people idiots..."cheap amber"..i can see that you are frustrated by or about something ,but i think this is not the place to fix that ,you posts are very strange and help no one .

Guys cool it....this forum is to help people not to be used to offend each other ...you can't call people idiots..."cheap amber"..i can see that you are frustrated by or about something ,but i think this is not the place to fix that ,you posts are very strange and help no one .

oh, so exposing deceit helps no one? ok. i'll keep that in mind.

how is claiming that middle class in America has disappeared (while the one who claims that also claims that he earns $73000) helping anyone? is that the definition of help in your part of the world?

Ditto brother!
Been here since 1997; naturalized back in 2003. In 2003 went back home stayed there for 2 years and every year I go back home. Miss everything; I am from Nepal; one of the poorest country in the world. One thing I hate about living in US is the social standards and lack of self-reliance. Almost every block is smeared with people who want to live on somebody like a leech; once they leech on they are like tapeworms. I believe almost everyone needs to go back to self-reliance class and the class should be self-reliance 101.
well standard over here is pretty shitty compared with what I had ... you need a lost of money to live good here ;;;if you are from africa,south america or asia maybe here its good and even better then home but if you are from europe then it could be bad ...here they like to rent a shitholes for lots of money (NY and east coast and SF in particular) you pay a lots of money for very bad places ( from 800to 1500 dollars - that money would not get you anything special) which means you need at least 5000 dollars a month salary to live good ...now that's almost impossible even for people born and educated here ... here is also very difficult to know people;;"real americans" don't really open to foreigners ...so I think the more you live here does not help you much for anything ..... also people move here all the time and sometimes even if you make some friends they are gone fast ....opportunities are actually pretty limited fro number of years now - last 3 years there is no much to do and lots of people went back to their countries... here (NY,LA) people of certain ethnicity and race tend to stick together and they don't mix with others

oh, so exposing deceit helps no one? ok. i'll keep that in mind.

how is claiming that middle class in America has disappeared (while the one who claims that also claims that he earns $73000) helping anyone? is that the definition of help in your part of the world?

I'm self employed ;my wife is not working ; after the tax I have about 63 000 DOLLLARS AND YOU HAVE TO SPLIT THAT IN TWO -my expense for living is about 3500 dollars a month (rent + food); other expense per month is about 1200 dollars (car payments ,gas ,clothing ,various shopping - repairs etc.medical insurance ) all in all I can save about 10 000 dollars per year which I probably need to use to expand my business anyway ;;;;so I do not consider my self as middle class because back home I was middle class so I know what I'm talking about ....

in the USA you have BROKEN SYSTEM NOW .. NEO LIBERAL CAPITALISM WHICH WAS DOMINANT IN EVERY ASPECT OF LIFE IN THE USA IS BROKEN BEYOND REPAIR AND THE PROBLEM IS THAT THERE IS NO OTHER SYSTEM TO REPLACE IT SO TODAY POLITICIANS ARE TRYING TO FIX IT AND IT CAN NOT BE FIXED ..SO WHAT YOU HAVE IS PROLONGED ECONOMIC CRISIS WHICH IS GONNA LAST FOR VERY LONG TIME ...DECADES MAYBE ..AND IT WOULD NEVER GO BACK TO THE "GOOD OLD DAYS"......THAT IS VERY SIMPLE TRUTH ....

OK, it seems that this thread has gotten slightly out of hand. Anyway I have not moved to the US yet but wanted to vote because for me the point is not the standard of living that is behind my plan to move. I just need to get away from my current home country that sees it fit to regulate and monitor too many aspects of my life. Also the taxes are way too high in my current home country because our level of social security is so high (which I don't necessarily see as a good thing at all).

Anyway regarding the points concerning the current situation in the US I have one question. Are the people now living in the US and complaining that they were doing better in their former home countries aware of the fact that the situation has changed in Europe as well?
Europe is also in the midst of a recession and for instance unemployment is quite high.
check bloomberg. com /apps/ news?pid=20601068&sid=ajiXHqv1FI3w
We are also facing our own debt crisis in Europe.
check economist. com /node/ 16009099?story_id=16009099
These are just some examples of the European situation at the moment and my point is simply to show that things have gotten worse outside the US as well. Just some food for thought on the subject of living standards in the US and in Europe.

Sorry for the links not being true links - I haven't posted enough to have "link privileges".

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is a recession worldwide, then in my opinion where you decide to live will depend heavily on where you can survive. From what I have seen in the US, (and I believe the same will be true for other developed countries) in a recession if you lose your job, people can take on lower paying jobs and still be able to live ok until better can be done. In third world countries generally speaking, people with degrees and secured jobs can barely make ends meet and so in a recession, taking a lower paying job is just not an option as it may very well threaten their survival. People who come from developing countries and know the limitations they will face if they return home in this present economic climate will more than likely stick it out in the US rather than go home.

If there is a recession worldwide, then in my opinion where you decide to live will depend heavily on where you can survive. From what I have seen in the US, (and I believe the same will be true for other developed countries) in a recession if you lose your job, people can take on lower paying jobs and still be able to live ok until better can be done. In third world countries generally speaking, people with degrees and secured jobs can barely make ends meet and so in a recession, taking a lower paying job is just not an option as it may very well threaten their survival. People who come from developing countries and know the limitations they will face if they return home in this present economic climate will more than likely stick it out in the US rather than go home.

Hi Sonibago,

I agree with you on this one.

Yes you are right. Few people with degree will mind to work in low paying job because they look for professional job. If we are indispensable employee in our company then there will be no chance for sacking us out.

OK, it seems that this thread has gotten slightly out of hand. Anyway I have not moved to the US yet but wanted to vote because for me the point is not the standard of living that is behind my plan to move. I just need to get away from my current home country that sees it fit to regulate and monitor too many aspects of my life. Also the taxes are way too high in my current home country because our level of social security is so high (which I don't necessarily see as a good thing at all).

Anyway regarding the points concerning the current situation in the US I have one question. Are the people now living in the US and complaining that they were doing better in their former home countries aware of the fact that the situation has changed in Europe as well?
Europe is also in the midst of a recession and for instance unemployment is quite high.
check bloomberg. com /apps/ news?pid=20601068&sid=ajiXHqv1FI3w
We are also facing our own debt crisis in Europe.
check economist. com /node/ 16009099?story_id=16009099
These are just some examples of the European situation at the moment and my point is simply to show that things have gotten worse outside the US as well. Just some food for thought on the subject of living standards in the US and in Europe.

Sorry for the links not being true links - I haven't posted enough to have "link privileges".

LOL You are funny girl ...!! you will see how much is regulated in the US - heheheh compared to Finland its gonna be a shock probably ?..THIS COUNTRY (US) is controlling its citizens more efficiently then 99% of ALL THE OTHER COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD through vast POLICE APPARATUS and prison system which currently helds about 2 .5 MILLION PEOPLE LOCKED AND ABOUT 4 MILLION PEOPLE TIED DOWN TROUGH DIFFERENT PROBATION AND PAROLE SYSTEMS - you have 8 FEDERAL POLICE AGENCIES and more then 50 000 local ones -YEP THAT MUCH - AND ALL PAID FROM YOUR TAX MONEY !!! with almost 3 000 000 EMPLOYEES !!!!!. on top of it you have financial constrains which KEEPS in check all other "law obeying " citizens such as yourself ...IN OTHER WORDS THEY WOULD PUT YOU IN PLACE IN NO TIME TRUST ME ON THAT AND KEEP EYE ON YOU LIKE NO FINISH or other European GOVERNMENT WOULD DARE TO DO ...HHEHEHEHE
taxes are lower -"on paper" but as I wrote here before ...taxes are just the money you pay for something that you never see ( military ,VARIOUS government spending ...which here -UNLIKE IN FINLAND goes without ANY PUBLIC CONTROL , financial help to "friendly " countries such as IZRAEL for example (to the tune of 4 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR which comes out of YOUR POCKET as a tax payer ))....and THEN ONCE YOU PAY MONEY TO THE GOVERNMENT you have to pay for all those things which are necessary for normal life such as health insurance and education etc which would cost you A LOT and that is not calculated in TAXES like in FINLAND so you would find at the end that you gonna be actually paying MORE FOR SOMETHING THAT YOU PAY IN FINLAND ONLY THROUGH TAXES ... trust me on that - or try to calculate yourself once you got the first pay check ....as I said its gonna be shock ... A BIG ONE !!heheheh

one more thing - YOU ARE GOING TO THE COUNTRY WHERE EVERYTHING IS MEASURED TROUGH MONEY AND MONEY ONLY SO YOU SAYING THAT STANDARD OF LIVING IS NOT IMPORTANT TO YOU AND IS NOT THE REASON FOR YOU TO COME TO THE US.... IS JUST PLAIN STUPID ( SORRY ABOUT THAT.... BUT REALLY ...IF YOU THINK LIKE THAT THEN YOU HAVE NO REASON TO MOVE TO THE US AT ALL TRUST ME ON THAT ...OR YOUR STAY HERE IS GONNA BE COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME )...NOBODY I MEAN NOBODY IS MOVING HERE BECAUSE THEY LIKE FREEDOM HERE ... HEHHEEHEH .. THEY ALL MOVE BECAUSE OF THE MONEY .....and RIGHT now THERE IS NO MONEY HERE so you figure out how good is this place to live ...

LOL You are funny girl ...!! you will see how much is regulated in the US - heheheh compared to Finland its gonna be a shock probably ?..THIS COUNTRY (US) is controlling its citizens more efficiently then 99% of ALL THE OTHER COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD through vast POLICE APPARATUS and prison system which currently helds about 2 .5 MILLION PEOPLE LOCKED AND ABOUT 4 MILLION PEOPLE TIED DOWN TROUGH DIFFERENT PROBATION AND PAROLE SYSTEMS - you have 8 FEDERAL POLICE AGENCIES and more then 50 000 local ones -YEP THAT MUCH - AND ALL PAID FROM YOUR TAX MONEY !!! with almost 3 000 000 EMPLOYEES !!!!!. on top of it you have financial constrains which KEEPS in check all other "law obeying " citizens such as yourself ...IN OTHER WORDS THEY WOULD PUT YOU IN PLACE IN NO TIME TRUST ME ON THAT AND KEEP EYE ON YOU LIKE NO FINISH or other European GOVERNMENT WOULD DARE TO DO ...HHEHEHEHE
taxes are lower -"on paper" but as I wrote here before ...taxes are just the money you pay for something that you never see ( military ,VARIOUS government spending ...which here -UNLIKE IN FINLAND goes without ANY PUBLIC CONTROL , financial help to "friendly " countries such as IZRAEL for example (to the tune of 4 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR which comes out of YOUR POCKET as a tax payer ))....and THEN ONCE YOU PAY MONEY TO THE GOVERNMENT you have to pay for all those things which are necessary for normal life such as health insurance and education etc which would cost you A LOT and that is not calculated in TAXES like in FINLAND so you would find at the end that you gonna be actually paying MORE FOR SOMETHING THAT YOU PAY IN FINLAND ONLY THROUGH TAXES ... trust me on that - or try to calculate yourself once you got the first pay check ....as I said its gonna be shock ... A BIG ONE !!heheheh

one more thing - YOU ARE GOING TO THE COUNTRY WHERE EVERYTHING IS MEASURED TROUGH MONEY AND MONEY ONLY SO YOU SAYING THAT STANDARD OF LIVING IS NOT IMPORTANT TO YOU AND IS NOT THE REASON FOR YOU TO COME TO THE US.... IS JUST PLAIN STUPID ( SORRY ABOUT THAT.... BUT REALLY ...IF YOU THINK LIKE THAT THEN YOU HAVE NO REASON TO MOVE TO THE US AT ALL TRUST ME ON THAT ...OR YOUR STAY HERE IS GONNA BE COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME )...NOBODY I MEAN NOBODY IS MOVING HERE BECAUSE THEY LIKE FREEDOM HERE ... HEHHEEHEH .. THEY ALL MOVE BECAUSE OF THE MONEY .....and RIGHT now THERE IS NO MONEY HERE so you figure out how good is this place to live ...

are you currently residing in US? if so, when did you arrive?

You are funny girl ...!! you will see how much is regulated in the US - heheheh compared to Finland its gonna be a shock probably ?
taxes are lower -"on paper" but as I wrote here before ...taxes are just the money you pay for something that you never see ....and THEN ONCE YOU PAY MONEY TO THE GOVERNMENT you have to pay for all those things which are necessary for normal life such as health insurance and education etc which would cost you A LOT and that is not calculated in TAXES like in FINLAND so you would find at the end that you gonna be actually paying MORE FOR SOMETHING THAT YOU PAY IN FINLAND ONLY THROUGH TAXES ... trust me on that - or try to calculate yourself once you got the first pay check ....as I said its gonna be shock ... A BIG ONE !!
one more thing - YOU ARE GOING TO THE COUNTRY WHERE EVERYTHING IS MEASURED TROUGH MONEY AND MONEY ONLY SO YOU SAYING THAT STANDARD OF LIVING IS NOT IMPORTANT TO YOU AND IS NOT THE REASON FOR YOU TO COME TO THE US.... IS JUST PLAIN STUPID

Thanks for these kind words and the marvelous analysis on me and my motives and my current situation in Finland. It is so great that you know all things for a fact.
First of all ,I have already lived in the States previously so the system, control, etc. will not come as a surprise or shock to me. Actually the fact that I have lived there before is one of the major reasons for me to want to move because I just enjoy the country, its people and so forth.
Secondly, the taxes I pay now are truly outrageous and I still also pay for things on top of that here as well because I for instance chose to use private health care services. I will not have to pay for education as I do not have and will never have children and have finished my own Masters degree years ago so that is not a worry on my part.
The control I am referring to when speaking of Finland has nothing to do with the things you are speaking of and as I have lived in the States before I know for a fact that the kind of control that is pissing me off in Finland does not exist in the US.
As far as the standard of living goes I know what I want and I know money is king because it is king to me as well. My point was simply that my move is not motivated by whether I will live a better life money-wise in the States but by the fact that I know that I will enjoy life more in the States than in Finland.

Thanks for these kind words and the marvelous analysis on me and my motives and my current situation in Finland. It is so great that you know all things for a fact.
First of all ,I have already lived in the States previously so the system, control, etc. will not come as a surprise or shock to me. Actually the fact that I have lived there before is one of the major reasons for me to want to move because I just enjoy the country, its people and so forth.
Secondly, the taxes I pay now are truly outrageous and I still also pay for things on top of that here as well because I for instance chose to use private health care services. I will not have to pay for education as I do not have and will never have children and have finished my own Masters degree years ago so that is not a worry on my part.
The control I am referring to when speaking of Finland has nothing to do with the things you are speaking of and as I have lived in the States before I know for a fact that the kind of control that is pissing me off in Finland does not exist in the US.
As far as the standard of living goes I know what I want and I know money is king because it is king to me as well. My point was simply that my move is not motivated by whether I will live a better life money-wise in the States but by the fact that I know that I will enjoy life more in the States than in Finland.

hheheeh you wish ..".no way and no how " ....unless you learn to s..t pure gold or oil ...keep me posted ... this is not gonna end well ... but I would hate to say ...I TOLD YOU SO in few years time ...

yesterday

for someone who arrived so recently you sure talk a lot merde.

but seriously, if you want to make a real impact on people's decisions you need to share your personal experience. you keep repeating "trust me, trust me". i want to trust you but you need to tell us what kind of problems you encountered personally.