A tip for calling the Vermont center

OrageTreats,

People who have been waiting for so long have every reason to start calling. My comment was more for people who filed only a few months back and are getting antsy.
:)

BTW, mine has already crossed the 540 days limit posted on their website.

Take it easy man.

Looks like the same guy!

I too tried my luck today. Nope, nothing worked.. He said mine was still within the "normal" processing time window. My ND is 12/03/03. No other info. He asked me to call the National Service center line. He asked for my name, is he going to log it somewhere? Will calling frequently affect?

I know one thing for sure..they maintain a history of the calls made. So I guess one should make calls to VSC only when really needed. If not then it may backfire and please don't abuse the line as it affects all of us.

Followed instructions -- agreed they are nice, but:

The only thing they did was to start an investigation... I should receive a response from 3 to 4 weeks. Call back if more than 30 days.

With the barrage of calls, I won't be surprised if VSC reps go from being nice to rude and eventually the line will be shut down. I think the line should be primarily be used by those with > 540 days from 485 ND.

kariakoo said:
With the barrage of calls, I won't be surprised if VSC reps go from being nice to rude and eventually the line will be shut down. I think the line should be primarily be used by those with > 540 days from 485 ND.
My ND is Jan 20 '03 :mad: :( :confused:

If you ask for only case status they said " Call 1-800 number and select option 2". She also said they help for the people who don't understand their case status. For ex: If you don't understand RFE. They will explain .

What did you guys asked the rep?

First of all, I am glad some people here got help from this tip. and I want to clear out something especially for Samanta. If you get messages such as "Due to a temporary problem...." this is not just you and your case. This IS a temporary system error. I have got that many times. I just keep trying and finally it got through.

Secondly, I do share the concern about bombarding the phone line. Try to limit your calls so this line will be kept alive. Otherwise, either the reps become rude instead of friendly, or the line will completely shut off, and we're back to talking to the NASTY reps in the national service center.

So please please, be reasonable and just call only when needed. I think they can give you more information if there is activities in your case or close to being approval.

Good luck and Happy New Year to you all!

Since you addressed me

Firstly, my name is Sumanta, not Samanta :) Not a big deal anyway.

Secondly, let me be very clear, I am not here to argue/quarrel with you,
so what I am about to say next, please accept it as just a fact, and not
in any argumentative way :)

The message "Due to a temporary problem...." is happening to lots of people,
not just me; I know that and its widely known too. However, this is not a
message that disappears by just repeatedly trying. The message says
"temporary"...believe me , its not temporary, its "permanent" since the
day USCIS responded to my status enquiry. Other people can vouch
for this. I have been , thus, hearing this since last week of October.

As for all the tricks to reach VSC, I am sure a flood of misuse ( or shall i say
overuse ) will very soon lead to a total closure of this option. And I don't
blame people for that. This is exactly what happens when a system does
not work, or rather when there isn't any system at all.

Mine is the same problem

I'm getting the same message (Not available due to temporay system problem). I don't think this is temporary. I have been getting this for some time, may be after my recent enquiry.

RD: 03/24/03
FP2: 09/10/04

Samanta is right I am getting this message "Due to a temporary problem...." since November 9th, when my online message changed to "On December 14, 2004, we responded to your request for more information concerning your case. If you have not received our response within 30 days from this date, please call customer service at 1-800-375-5283."

I got a letter in the mail twice stating "The processing of your petition/application has been delayed. We are awaiting further information from another office to assist us in the funal adjudication of this case. As soon as this information is received, processing will continue on this case."

My case

Inquired about the case on 10/22/04, 11/29/2004
I140 file date 11/9/02 RFE 3/4/03 Aprove 5/18/03
I485 Receipt date 11/18/02
I485 LUD 6/15/04, 6/16/04, 7/30/04, 11/10/04, 11/11/04, 11/24/04, 11/29/04, 12/16/04, 12/17/04.

My wifes case

I485 Receipt date 11/18/02
I485 LUD 11/22/04

Called NSC as per tips and call was transferred to VSC rep...
very knowledgeble atleast from her words...not dumb as NSC rep..

As per her words...

my security/name check was initiated on Dec5 2004 and takes about 30-45 days to get reply from FBI and then case will be approved.

Atleast got some reply instead of standard blah...blah

delux007,
What actually did you ask ? How you came to know that your security/name check was not initiated ?

I have the same problem. I filled my application in Dec 2002 and till now my security check was not initiated as I got emails from FBI.

Did you tell the rep that your security check was not initiated ? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

delux007 said:
Called NSC as per tips and call was transferred to VSC rep...
very knowledgeble atleast from her words...not dumb as NSC rep..
As per her words...

my security/name check was initiated on Dec5 2004 and takes about 30-45 days to get reply from FBI and then case will be approved.

Atleast got some reply instead of standard blah...blah

Did you tell the rep that your name check was never requested or you just asked the status of your case.
delux007 said:
Intiated enquiry on Nov 15..may be that helped..
not sure ...