• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2nd NL

I normally enter America through JFK and if memory serves me correctly there are three areas: US Citizens, US Green Card Holders, International Visitors/Foreign Citizens so I'm presuming I would have to go through the US Green Card Holders section is what you're saying?

However this time I'm planning to enter through Washington Dulles as my brother is there so it'd probably be different and quite a bit of traffic in the airport on that day (I plan to arrive there on Sunday 18th August).

OK. As for JFK, you will have used the area for all people with tourist visas. The US citizens are using another area.

Meanwhile, it is a good idea (I think) to check at the local airport how much you will have to pay for going over the limit for the bags. In my country is: 2 x big bags weighing up to 23 kg and 15 EUR fee per each kg over the limit, handbags have different kg limits

I normally enter America through JFK and if memory serves me correctly there are three areas: US Citizens, US Green Card Holders, International Visitors/Foreign Citizens so I'm presuming I would have to go through the US Green Card Holders section is what you're saying?

However this time I'm planning to enter through Washington Dulles as my brother is there so it'd probably be different and quite a bit of traffic in the airport on that day (I plan to arrive there on Sunday 18th August).

OK. As for JFK, you will have used the area for all people with tourist visas. The US citizens are using another area.

Meanwhile, it is a good idea (I think) to check at the local airport how much you will have to pay for going over the limit for the bags. In my country is: 2 x big bags weighing up to 23 kg and 15 EUR fee per each kg over the limit, handbags have different kg limits

I don't mean to or want to sound like I'm bragging but I'm traveling business class so I have an allowance of 40kg per bag and up to 3 bags (sometimes 4 bags if I get to the airport early) and when I travel to America I buy whats called an MCO from Emirates for about $200 which allows me to carry as much excess as I want because of all the stuff people here send to their relatives in America and the shopping I do in turn to bring back to Tanzania (which now will stop as I'll be living there).

Momo, that is not bragging. You are just giving information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mean to or want to sound like I'm bragging but I'm traveling business class so I have an allowance of 40kg per bag and up to 3 bags (sometimes 4 bags if I get to the airport early) and when I travel to America I buy whats called an MCO from Emirates for about $200 which allows me to carry as much excess as I want because of all the stuff people here send to their relatives in America and the shopping I do in turn to bring back to Tanzania (which now will stop as I'll be living there).[/QUOT

MCO is great, I did not know about that possibility. When you fill in the form in the airplane (where they ask how much money you are about to bring in the US, you can be truthful there, when you land the US authorities do not make problems about any amount :cool:

I don't mean to or want to sound like I'm bragging but I'm traveling business class so I have an allowance of 40kg per bag and up to 3 bags (sometimes 4 bags if I get to the airport early) and when I travel to America I buy whats called an MCO from Emirates for about $200 which allows me to carry as much excess as I want because of all the stuff people here send to their relatives in America and the shopping I do in turn to bring back to Tanzania (which now will stop as I'll be living there).[/QUOT

MCO is great, I did not know about that possibility. When you fill in the form in the airplane (where they ask how much money you are about to bring in the US, you can be truthful there, when you land the US authorities do not make problems about any amount :cool:

The MCO is a great way to take care of excess luggage. Fortunately (subject to my interview going through), my mother and I will be traveling together on the 17th August so we'll both have MCOs and the luggage allowance from Emirates.

Money-wise yes indeed $10,000 and above must be declared. Its actually odd that the customs agents there are surprised when I walk up to them and say "I want to declare the money I'm bringing in."

In fact on one occasion at JFK when I went through customs and told a young customs agent that I had money to declare he had no idea what I was going on about and asked me "what is the normal procedure you follow when you come here?" and I said "you normally give us a form to fill out" and he went over and asked another customs agent and the other guy said "yeah he's right give him this form to fill out and let him through."

Another strange thing is I don't know why people keep saying JFK is a horrific in terms of bag checks at customs on exit but we have never had any problems so I wonder why others go through a rough time.

Once when I flew into JFK alone and had filled in the paperwork the guy checking bags said "come through here sir" and I said to him "would you like to check my bags?" and he in turn said "what've you got in there?" and I said "just my own clothes and gifts for family members and some cooked home made snacks but no meat or vegetables or fruits" and he's like "nah don't worry about it, just go through. Where are you staying whilst you're here?" and I said "the township of Macungie near Allentown PA but I'll be coming into Manhattan frequently to eat out" and then he launched into where to go for the best steak and best Italian food on Mulberry Street in Soho and asked what's Africa like and then said "great talking to you man, enjoy your holiday and have a steak on my behalf."

Somehow I find the customs agents pretty decent when you're transparent with them and have nothing to hide. I remember one guy didn't declare some things and then got stopped and they literally ripped his bag to shreds because he had food in there and he was so distraught.

Anyone care to share their US entry experiences?

Re US entry experience, pretty much same as yours. Immigration queues can be a pain (long) but generally found the immigration officers friendly - certainly much more so than heathrow! And customs, no issues, when have had food they just ask to check what it is.

Here's an update on my medical procedure this morning which I thought I'd share with all of you:

I had my medical done this morning at Premier Clinic (appointed by the US Embassy of course) which took a good chunk out of my day as I was there at 8:30am sharp.

The process was completely straightforward. I was called into the lab to check my blood pressure, height, weight and take a blood sample and then asked to wait for some time.

The receptionist then guided to the doctor's office (a very pleasant guy and Johns Hopkins University Medical School graduate so pretty well educated!) where he asked me some simple questions e.g. do I have a history of illness or previous medical conditions (touch wood I have always been healthy), do I smoke, do I drink etc, do I have any STDs that I am aware of (touch wood I was safe here).

He then made me lay on my back and physically checked for any lumps on certain areas of the body and checked my breathing with his stethoscope (fishing for signs TB if I am not mistaken) but said my lungs were completely healthy.

I saw the actual form/paper that was going into the sealed envelope on his desk and that he had marked things off on them and signed/stamped them and said based on what he could see of my blood results I was completely healthy and had nothing to worry about. The only diseases which are of concern to the consular officer are tuberculosis, syphilis and any other communicable diseases as defined by the CDC (Centres for Disease Control) in the USA.

He then said that I didn't need vaccines for meningitis or Hepatitis A or B as I had had them already when I was younger and the only vaccines I needed were tetanus, measles/rubella and some VDR vaccine (whatever its called).

Pursuant to our pleasant discussion I went back to the reception and handed over my vaccination papers to them and went into accounts to pay $324 for both the examination and vaccines.

Once that was done I was made to wait again for a short while and then taken back into the lab where the lab worker popped open three boxes with syringes already in them along with the vaccines and jabbed me twice on the left arm and once on the right and there was no pain at all as they were very professional and friendly. They then asked me to bring my vaccination records (I rushed home and back to give this to them) which they will update.

Once all that was over I went off to The Aga Khan Hospital for my chest X-ray (this is to check for tuberculosis and the doctor said this was part of the interview formality but my lungs were fine) and the machine was down (welcome to Tanzania!) so the X-ray will be done this evening once I am through with tennis, and the clinic will collect the X-ray film and results themselves directly from the hospital.

I was told by the clinic receptionist that the docket/sealed envelope will be ready on Thursday morning for collection so once that's done I'm ready to walk into the US Embassy on August 7th for my interview as all my other documents are ready in a file meticulously prepared for the interview :)

On another note I never thought the day would come where I'd be posting updates of my own journey for others to read like when I used to read of others' journeys so I am really chuffed and I'm really glad that I got all this stuff out of the way really early :)

For the next 7 weeks, I'm focusing on work, spending time with my parents, relaxing and enjoying Ramadan. The only stress now is on how the interview will go but God Willing all shall be well :)

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
Entry Checked - 1st May 2012
Forms Sent To KCC - 10th May 2012
Received By KCC - 12th May 2012
Confirmation From KCC - 25th May 2012 after I sent them an email
2nd NL - 14th June 2013
Police Clearance (TZ) - 13th June 2013
Police Clearance (UK) - 21st June 2013
Medicals - Completed 24th June 2013
Interview - Wednesday, August 7th 2013 @ 8am - US Embassy Tanzania
Visa Pick up - Hopefully August 11th
Departure Date - August 17th 2013
Port of Entry - Washington Dulles

Hey momo..congrat n best of luck for ur interview. .n thnks for helping me b4..nw finger crossed for my 2nd letter

Hey momo..congrat n best of luck for ur interview. .n thnks for helping me b4..nw finger crossed for my 2nd letter

Hello bini, thank you for your kind sentiments and wishes.

Don't worry you'll get through as well.

Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
2nd NL - 14th June 2013

It is OK to be nervous for the interview in the embassy they understand it is a life changing moment.
Based on all stories, my conclusion is to be serious, normal and stick to what they ask about i.e. not to extensive and if possible let them know no help from the state will be sough (supporting from work). It is also good to have options such as debit or other card in case the cash does not go through the machine (old bill $ sometimes do not all go through)

It is OK to be nervous for the interview in the embassy they understand it is a life changing moment.
Based on all stories, my conclusion is to be serious, normal and stick to what they ask about i.e. not to extensive and if possible let them know no help from the state will be sough (supporting from work). It is also good to have options such as debit or other card in case the cash does not go through the machine (old bill $ sometimes do not all go through)

I think pre-planning answers drives one over the edge because we don't really know what they'll ask us so I think its a matter of taking it as it comes and being positive and not over-saying stuff as you said Zuko.

By the way any idea if we need three months or six months bank statements anyone?

Got my medical report/sealed envelope this morning :)

2nd NL - 14th June 2013

I-134 came in from my aunt in the US yesterday and I'm picking up my bank statement next week.

All that's left now is the interview...fingers crossed :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd NL - 14th June 2013

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOCUMENT PREPARATION CHECKLIST/TIMELINE

Copy of 1st NL - Check

Copy of 2nd NL - Check

Birth Certificate - Check

High School Diploma - Check

School Leaving Certificate (showing 13 year education period for DV requirement) - Check

ACCA Certificate/Exam Results - Check

Marriage Certificate - Check

Divorce/Annulment/Marriage Termination Documents - Check

Affidavit Letter for O Net Requirements - Check

Medicals - Completed 24th June 2013 - received sealed envelope 29th June 2013

I-134 Affidavit of Support - 12th July 2013

Bank Statement - 15th July 2013

Visa Pick up - Hopefully August 11th 2013

Departure Date - August 17th 2013 - Dar es Salaam ---> Dubai ---> Washington Dulles (Port of Entry)

I got it in the same day where i pass it lol with only 140 dollars all included.

We dont need neither bank statements nor I-134 in Casablanca consulate :)

Careful on that one - it may not be listed in the requirements, neither is it for our consulate, but the CO still asked if we had brought proof of funds/assets, and he kept them for the file. Suggest you take a bank statement or other financial supporting documents along anyway.

Thumbs up SusieQQQ...I'm not taking any chances at all which is why I got my aunt to send me an I-134 which I'll take along with my bank statements.

They don't mention bank statements or I-134 on the embassy specific requirements for Dar es Salaam either but you don't know who the consular officer is or what mood the consular officer will be in on that day so it is better not to take chances.

Last edited by a moderator: