• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

No dan we are executing a big jump this month so your interview will probably be march or april

DOMA Repeal refers to the Supreme Court decision which repealed Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA. Section 3 of DOMA—a federal law passed in 1996 defined marriage as a union between one man and one woman for the purpose of federal administrative policies—denied LGBT couples access to more than 1,000 federal programs and benefits available to opposite-sex married couples. The repeal now makes it possible for same sex couples to sponsor their partners for GC.

Thanks Sm1smom! Good to hear! I should think so, mind you. Happy for you James :)

Hi All

I'm having a vaccination freakout! Just read up on the list we have to have and I'm concerned about the Hep A - I read it's 2 shots over 6 months.... I'm expecting our interview to be March which doesn't exactly leave 6 months from shot one to shot 2... Heading to the doctor's tomorrow to get checked on the rest.

What have others done when it came to the vaccination list???

Cheers

Ok, I'm starting to stress less now - found a post on the 2013 Aussie winners thread saying they only check for DTP, MMR and the flu shot. I'm going to call the medical examination place here in Brissie tomorrow to double check. I wonder if they'll let us book in for late Jan/early Feb before we've received our 2NL??

Ok, I'm starting to stress less now - found a post on the 2013 Aussie winners thread saying they only check for DTP, MMR and the flu shot. I'm going to call the medical examination place here in Brissie tomorrow to double check. I wonder if they'll let us book in for late Jan/early Feb before we've received our 2NL??

Amy please keep us updated on how you get on with this, I am going in for my shots tommorow but expect to be interviewed june july august so will have enough time. However if the jumps go big then I too may run out of time for the last ones. I did notice though on some sites they can adjust the injection time frame for travellers.

You can book with the "listed" doctor prior to receiving your 2NL (Crawf did that to fit in with travel plans), but only if you are confident that you will be geting the 2NL shortly after. However, if the issue is that you want the jabs then perhaps you should have them done elsewhere and keep some proof of that. If your jabs are up to date then the official physician should not ask you to get further jabs. You should be able to call the listed physician to confirm that.

You can book with the "listed" doctor prior to receiving your 2NL (Crawf did that to fit in with travel plans), but only if you are confident that you will be geting the 2NL shortly after. However, if the issue is that you want the jabs then perhaps you should have them done elsewhere and keep some proof of that. If your jabs are up to date then the official physician should not ask you to get further jabs. You should be able to call the listed physician to confirm that.

Hi simon throw for us yor inteview experience :)

Hi simon throw for us yor inteview experience :)

My experience this morning was this.

Arrived at the US embassy in London to be greeted by heavy rain and two long queues of people waiting to get inside the building. We were outside for an hour. It reminded us why we want the GC.

Once inside we waited a long time for two interviews. On the second we were waiting behind a guy who had to explain a very long list of run ins with the police. No kidding, this guy had more criminal convictions than I have ever heard - mostly drunken fights by the sound of it, but some worse things. His tourist visa was denied!

Once we were "interviewed" we had one small issue where a previous immigration officer had recorded a different name for my wife on a previous visit to the US. The CO initially was asking if my wife had ever used any other names. I was tempted to mention her stage name as a silly joke but managed to stop myself - so all was fine. The CO didn't check any of our documents since all they really needed was the passport and I-797 (notice of approval for the I-129). She asked a couple of things about my application and expressed surprise that the application had even been approved since the sponsoring company is a single employee company working from a home office - which sounds like blatant nepotism. I explained it had been a battle with USCIS - and she seemed to trust that we had been grilled sufficiently already! So - H1-B and H4s approved... picking them up in a few days.

Simon AmyJ in in the 650+ range for interviews so she will be in the march batch. When do you think is a good time to get the medical done... is 8 weeks out too early

Simon AmyJ in in the 650+ range for interviews so she will be in the march batch. When do you think is a good time to get the medical done... is 8 weeks out too early

That would be fine anytime then if she felt she wanted to do it early. However, the date of medical does impact the length of time to enter the US for the first time - so doing the medical early will mean a shorter length of time to enter and activate the LPR status.

My experience this morning was this.

Arrived at the US embassy in London to be greeted by heavy rain and two long queues of people waiting to get inside the building. We were outside for an hour. It reminded us why we want the GC.

Once inside we waited a long time for two interviews. On the second we were waiting behind a guy who had to explain a very long list of run ins with the police. No kidding, this guy had more criminal convictions than I have ever heard - mostly drunken fights by the sound of it, but some worse things. His tourist visa was denied!

Once we were "interviewed" we had one small issue where a previous immigration officer had recorded a different name for my wife on a previous visit to the US. The CO initially was asking if my wife had ever used any other names. I was tempted to mention her stage name as a silly joke but managed to stop myself - so all was fine. The CO didn't check any of our documents since all they really needed was the passport and I-797 (notice of approval for the I-129). She asked a couple of things about my application and expressed surprise that the application had even been approved since the sponsoring company is a single employee company working from a home office - which sounds like blatant nepotism. I explained it had been a battle with USCIS - and she seemed to trust that we had been grilled sufficiently already! So - H1-B and H4s approved... picking them up in a few days.

congrats mate :)
now did you mention that you are applying for a CG THROUGH THE DV?

congrats mate :)
now did you mention that you are applying for a CG THROUGH THE DV?

Yeah I had to answer a question on the online DS160 that was had we ever made an immigrant application - so I answered yes and added the case number. I was hoping they would just say - oh well, let's save some hassle and give you the GC now - but it didn't work...

Yeah I had to answer a question on the online DS160 that was had we ever made an immigrant application - so I answered yes and added the case number. I was hoping they would just say - oh well, let's save some hassle and give you the GC now - but it didn't work...
haha of course they wont ! to strict those yankees :(
at least you wont have to play the waiting game anymore :)

Did someone say the police check is valid for six months from the date of issue? Is it bad to get your police check before you've been told when your interview is?

I'm sorry I was reading the canberra embassy page, and there's a broken link.

Can we use the Aus. Federal Police check?

Or is it the state one?

Hi badabingbada I think it may depend on which state you are from. I'm from NSW and I only needed the standard one (no fingerprints required). It only cost around $54 to get and took around 1 week from application till it arrived in the mail. Hope this helps.

You asked this before and here's the answer

The CO initially was asking if my wife had ever used any other names. I was tempted to mention her stage name as a silly joke but managed to stop myself - so all was fine.

Congrats britsimon to you & your wife!

Funny that you mention the name thing – I sometimes use a pseudonym for writing (I work in publishing) and earlier this year (but AFTER I sent my forms in May) I started using this pen name (it's a different surname) much more frequently in my work. The simple reason is that there's already somebody else in my industry with the same name as me. I didn't declare the pseudonym on the initial form because I haven't legally changed my name or anything, and because I was using it less frequently back then. Does anyone know if this will create a problem for me at the interview? I'd be devastated if this was a reason for me to be denied! I'm getting my police checks done soon and am planning to declare the name on that form. Any thoughts on this?