• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Britsimon, previously you'd anticipated that the Oceania case numbers would start to move faster in January, and unfortunately, that hasn't happened. What's your feeling now? Of the 4215 Oceania selectees, how many do you think will be interviewed? I'm 22XX and I'm starting to get worried.

Yes it is normal for the main bulk of the processing to happen after the first three bulletins. I was very disappointed to see such low numbers around the world. The December bulletin is the first one where there is feedback on how many people have turned up for interviews and how many got approved/denied, so in a sense it is the first one that gives a sense of what is going on. There are (of course) several theories being floated about why there was such bad progress. One possible theory is that the interest in going to the USA is higher this year than normal because the US economy is rebounding (this had a massive impact on the H1 process this year). Another is that the government shutdown caused a backlog in scheduling. The former theory is more scary in impact than the latter. Truth is - we don't know.

So to your underlying question.

Last year around 1700 OC visas were issued (with around 2000 selectees). This year they selected >4000 for OC which is a 100% increase when the global increase was only about 30%. I remain convinced that the 100% increase must mean they expect to allocate more to OC this year (i.e. increase the percentage of the global quota that is given to OC). So - I believe the end number for OC will be higher, and by some large margin. I would be surprised if it were less than 2500 perhaps as high as 3000.

The highest numbers in OC are risky as are the highest numbers in any region, however I think the cutoff for OC will be significantly higher than your number - probably somewhere in the 3000 - 4000 range.

So is it wrong to assume that ultimately, whether or not the numbers go to 'current' in the last month will depend on how many of the selectees in the previous 11 months pursue/obtain their green cards? And would the fact that the numbers are still low now indicate that a lot of OC selectees are following through with their applications?

The VB shows a region as CURRENT when there are sufficient visas to fill the remaining numbers. Given that it is likely that there will not be enough visas to meet the demand this year (because they selected 30% more than usual) I think it is likely that we will not see CURRENT on some or most regions.

I remain convinced that the 100% increase must mean they expect to allocate more to OC this year (i.e. increase the percentage of the global quota that is given to OC). So - I believe the end number for OC will be higher, and by some large margin. I would be surprised if it were less than 2500 perhaps as high as 3000.

The highest numbers in OC are risky as are the highest numbers in any region, however I think the cutoff for OC will be significantly higher than your number - probably somewhere in the 3000 - 4000 range.

I do hope you're right!

Back to what I was saying in October, do you believe there is any point in calling the KCC and asking about it? I think people assumed I was talking about calling the consulate here in Sydney, who I doubt would be able to tell me anything. But perhaps KCC would be able to explain the whole situation?

I do hope you're right!

Back to what I was saying in October, do you believe there is any point in calling the KCC and asking about it? I think people assumed I was talking about calling the consulate here in Sydney, who I doubt would be able to tell me anything. But perhaps KCC would be able to explain the whole situation?

The staff at KCC don't know and if they did know they wouldn't say. This is still a lottery - they make it very clear that being selected does nt guarantee a visa.

I hope youre right Britsimon :)

Yes it is normal for the main bulk of the processing to happen after the first three bulletins. I was very disappointed to see such low numbers around the world. The December bulletin is the first one where there is feedback on how many people have turned up for interviews and how many got approved/denied, so in a sense it is the first one that gives a sense of what is going on. There are (of course) several theories being floated about why there was such bad progress. One possible theory is that the interest in going to the USA is higher this year than normal because the US economy is rebounding (this had a massive impact on the H1 process this year). Another is that the government shutdown caused a backlog in scheduling. The former theory is more scary in impact than the latter. Truth is - we don't know.

Last year around 1700 OC visas were issued (with around 2000 selectees). This year they selected >4000 for OC which is a 100% increase when the global increase was only about 30%. I remain convinced that the 100% increase must mean they expect to allocate more to OC this year (i.e. increase the percentage of the global quota that is given to OC). So - I believe the end number for OC will be higher, and by some large margin. I would be surprised if it were less than 2500 perhaps as high as 3000.

Hi guys,

Long-time lurker here but first time posting. Just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone who's posted so far – it's all been really helpful.

I'm a NZ citizen who's living in Australia and was selected for the 2014 DV with a rank number in the very low 800s. Fingers crossed this means my chances are good. Haven't heard anything yet.

I saw a couple of people mention that they entered the 2015 lottery – did anyone find out officially if this hurts your chances in the 2014 one as a current selectee? I entered the 2015 lottery last month because I started freaking out that I wouldn't make it this year due to the govt shutdown! Apologies if this has been answered already, I just trawled through this thread looking for an answer but couldn't find any beyond speculation?

Thanks again & best of luck to those of you who have interviews locked in already!

Thanks for your analysis, Britsimon. It's appreciated, encouraging and hopefully correct. Best wishes, TonyJP.

The staff at KCC don't know and if they did know they wouldn't say. This is still a lottery - they make it very clear that being selected does nt guarantee a visa.

Emma and Britsimon, I remember a while ago, an Oceania selectee with a case number in the very low 2000s posted in this thread that because they were considering booking an overseas holiday next year and didn't want it to clash with their interview, they called KCC to ask if KCC had any idea when their case number was likely to become current. The operator told them, I think, July or August. I don't know to what extent the operator was guessing, but at least they gave an answer. So, maybe it's worth one of us with a higher case number calling KCC and pretending we're considering booking a holiday, to see if we get any insight into projected case number progress.

Emma and Britsimon, I remember a while ago, an Oceania selectee with a case number in the very low 2000s posted in this thread that because they were considering booking an overseas holiday next year and didn't want it to clash with their interview, they called KCC to ask if KCC had any idea when their case number was likely to become current. The operator told them, I think, July or August. I don't know to what extent the operator was guessing, but at least they gave an answer. So, maybe it's worth one of us with a higher case number calling KCC and pretending we're considering booking a holiday, to see if we get any insight into projected case number progress.

That is very interesting Tony. Their guesses are no more accurate than ours of course - but I am surprised they would say anything at all. I have spoken to various types of staff members at KCC - ranging from "only there for the pay" to thos that seem to care/know a little more.

I think Emma wanted to clarify the allocation and why they have selected so many in OC - and really I very much doubt we could get anyone on the phone who is at the right level to know about that.

There's nothing stopping people from calling KCC to ask any question whatsoever. No one needs anyone's permission to do so. You will not be penalized nor jeopardize your case for calling and asking questions. But be prepared for the fact that they may simply regurgitate a scripted response which may have nothing to do with your question.

Hi guys,

Long-time lurker here but first time posting. Just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone who's posted so far – it's all been really helpful.

I'm a NZ citizen who's living in Australia and was selected for the 2014 DV with a rank number in the very low 800s. Fingers crossed this means my chances are good. Haven't heard anything yet.

Congrats, scorpz. Yes, your chances are very good. You won't hear anything til about 2 months before your interview date. When your number is current on the Visa Bulletin, you will receive an email a few days later, asking you to check online for more information. Early next year should be your time.

I saw a couple of people mention that they entered the 2015 lottery – did anyone find out officially if this hurts your chances in the 2014 one as a current selectee? I entered the 2015 lottery last month because I started freaking out that I wouldn't make it this year due to the govt shutdown! Apologies if this has been answered already, I just trawled through this thread looking for an answer but couldn't find any beyond speculation?

No, it doesn't hurt your chances. I'm a DV2013 selectee, got my Green Card, living in the US now, and I had applied for the DV2014 lottery. Obviously it has no effect.

Good luck!

OC Vias numbers in 2013

So to your underlying question
Last year around 1700 OC visas were issued (with around 2000 selectees).

This year they selected >4000 for OC which is a 100% increase when the global increase was only about 30%. I remain convinced that the 100% increase must mean they expect to allocate more to OC this year (i.e. increase the percentage of the global quota that is given to OC). So - I believe the end number for OC will be higher, and by some large margin. I would be surprised if it were less than 2500 perhaps as high as 3000.

Hi BritSimon

First thanks for all the work you do patrolling these pages!
Just a clarification on the above if you please. You say that 1700 visas were issues last year (2013) in OC for the
2193 selectees.
That strikes me as very high; for example there tends to be a 30% drop off just from people who do not even send documents in to KCC.
And in 2012 (OK quirky year) there were 562 visas issued for 2001 selectees
And in 2011 there were 568 for the 1600.
Hence the 1700 seems pretty high.

Regards

Congrats, scorpz. Yes, your chances are very good. You won't hear anything til about 2 months before your interview date. When your number is current on the Visa Bulletin, you will receive an email a few days later, asking you to check online for more information. Early next year should be your time.

No, it doesn't hurt your chances. I'm a DV2013 selectee, got my Green Card, living in the US now, and I had applied for the DV2014 lottery. Obviously it has no effect.

Good luck!

Thanks Vichel, I actually spotted where you had written something similar previously, after I had posted my question – so thanks for repeating yourself for my benefit. Hopefully early next year is my time!

Hanging out to see the new bulletin in three days.

Nailed it. And the lovely AllyJane is in there as I type. I've had scarier bus rides than that interview!

I'll post a detailed write-up later but for now it's beer time.

Alright, well now that I'm at the airport and I've had my share of celebratory beers (for now), here's a rundown of sorts. (Warning: This is long. Sorry - I'm a writer by trade.)

For background, I'm a 28-year-old guy from Brisbane who's been to the US six times since 2008 for vacations. This is the first time I've entered the DV lottery and my case number was somewhere between 300 and 310.

I did my medical and police checks in mid-August because I spent September and October on vacation in Colorado job-hunting. So by the time I got my interview date in mid-September I was all ready as far as paperwork was concerned.

I arrived in Sydney on Monday morning and had my new US-dimensions passport photo taken at Photoland on King and Pitt Streets, right by the theatre exit of the MLC Centre. It was $24.95 for two, but you only need the one. I had already tried the pharmacy inside MLC Centre (level 7, food court) but because Monday was Veterans Day in the US, whoever was in charge of the passport photos had taken the day off.

Monday night I had a few "take-the-edge-off" cocktails at Opera Bar in Sydney Harbour before heading back to my hotel (Travelodge Phillip St, literally three minutes' walk from the MLC Centre). When I checked in the guy had asked me what I was doing in town and I said I had an interview at Martin Place. He said "US consulate? We get a lot of guests for that sort of thing." so if you're an out-of-towner and looking for decent close accommodation for a reasonable price, I'd recommend it.

My interview was scheduled for 9:30am Tuesday morning but I'm a nervy bastard at the best of times so I decided to just go in early and see if I couldn't get through a bit ahead of schedule. On top of that I had a flight booked for 4:00pm and didn't want to get caught up if it went for a few hours. I hit the Martin Place post office first for the required 3kg express post envelope for the return of my passport.

I went to level 10 at the MLC Centre, showed my ID and went through the metal detector sans shoes, belt, sunnies and phone. They held the latter two but I was allowed to put my belt and shoes back on. After that I sat in a row of chairs until the elevator attendant called me and two others over. She hit the 59 button and we headed up to the consulate. Before the door there's an official behind a window who checks your passport again before buzzing the door to let you into the room. You press the button on the machine for Immigrant Visas, which will print you out a ticket with C-### on it, and then you take a seat.

Inside is just like your average Medicare or Department of Transport office, only probably more nerve-wracking. The magazines are crap and there's a pretty generic border-security video playing on the TV. Unless you take a book or the newspaper (DO THIS), you'll be bored. I probably sat for the best part of an hour before my number (C409) was called. I went to my assigned window and a woman went through my paperwork pretty painstakingly. I was nervous even though I knew it was all in order (grade 12 certificate, university transcripts, police report, medical records, birth certificate, passport). I took bank statements showing I had savings but she didn't even look at them before giving them back.

She gave me a ticket to show the cashier so I went to pay my fee ($US330 or $A363) - I took cash just in case the card machines were down, which they weren't. After seeing my receipt the woman at the window finished off my paperwork, had me sign the DS-230 (?) form and then asked me to sit down and wait.

When I sat down, AllyJane from this board came and sat next to me and introduced herself. We talked for a bit then she did a mad dash downstairs to get the visa mailing address out of her phone - remember to do that folks! Write it on a sheet of paper because you don't have your phone in the room - while I watched her stuff. Not long after she returned my number was called again and I did the interview proper.

The interviewing officer took my fingerprints, make me take an oath that I'd be truthful and answer questions to the best of my ability and then she got stuck into it. Why do you want to move to the US? What work do you do here? What work do you intend to do in the US? How will you support yourself while you look for work? Where will you stay? Why did you choose there? How do you know the person you're staying with?

Anyway after I answered her questions the interviewing officer looked at me with a deadpan expression and said "I have good news. You've been approved for the visa." She handed me a slip of paper with my name and some basic instructions on it and said congratulations. After that I said a quick seeya-later to AllyJane and took off back downstairs to grab my phone and sunnies and head out.

So that's it! From door to door it took me two hours. I was out by 10:25am with a green card on its way. Now I just have to wait until I get the passport back because I leave again on November 24. I know they say not to book anything until you get the visa in the mail, but buying a ticket last-minute wasn't viable and I packed up my life and quit my job in anticipation for today. Based on the testimony of other forum members who had Tuesday interviews, I'm expecting to get it back Friday in the post.

All I can say in advice is

a) Take something hard-copy to read. Seriously. The magazines suck.

b) Answer truthfully but don't go overboard. One woman who interviewed right before me was obviously nervous and babbled incessantly about unnecessary bullshit and from where I was sitting I could hear the consular official getting frustrated.

c) On that note, be prepared for everyone to hear every detail of your interview. The office is very open-plan and the consular official's microphone broadcasts every question through the glass and into everyone's ears. There's another good reason to keep your answers nice and simple.

d) Don't be nervous! You got this far. Be excited!

Hopefully this all helps somewhat. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Adrian

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Adrian for the rundown I was actually there around the same time as you this morning and I was also successful! SO happy! My last part of the interview was short and sweet I was so nervous though but didn't need to be! As long as you are honest and to the point no one will have a problem, as you say everyone else in the room can hear. Congrats!

Oh you were there too? Congrats! I was the shaven-headed guy in the suit haha. Hope I didn't accidentally give you a weird look out of nerves or bother you by fidgeting!

Wowww, congrats! Thanks so much for the rundown. You must feel amazing.

So funny to know that everyone can hear your interview. Definitely good to know lol.

I've just got one question, and you touched on it in your post: do you think the financial thing won't matter too much? I'm not rich but I get by – I earn about $40k p.a. – and really don't have any savings, but I'm a working professional with a university degree. I could probably get a letter from my parents saying they'd support me if need be – do you guys think this would be necessary?

Congrats again Crawf33 and ozmaddie. Good work! :D