• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll probably have to wait till I'm over there to get my SSN. This is probably gonna make it harder to start applying for jobs sigh...

Why? You don't need an SSN to apply for a job. Sure, perhaps when you're filling out employment paperwork once you've been offered a position you'll need it, but I've been applying for jobs for months and none have required proof of social security number.

We should have some new interviews coming up this week or so ? Can't wait to hear the stories. Good Luck everyone.

Also hoping to see a big jump in the amount for Jan for the oceania region. Ideally it would be in the 750 - 800 range.

We should have some new interviews coming up this week or so ? Can't wait to hear the stories. Good Luck everyone.

I'm up next Tuesday morning (12/11) so I'll be sure to give a full rundown afterwards. There's also another member from here (whose name I can't remember) on the same day as mine.

That would be awesome to see Simon, if it jumps by 75 again, I am going to be very sad.

I can understand your reaction. I was so surprised to see such a small jump last month as it put DV2014, with its huge increase in the number of selectees, below the cut-off of the last few years. Didn't make any sense at all.

I'm up next Tuesday morning (12/11) so I'll be sure to give a full rundown afterwards. There's also another member from here (whose name I can't remember) on the same day as mine.

All the best!!

Wishing you all great luck.

greg, I noticed in your signature that you were an unlucky 2012 selectee. My husband was the same. Crushing disappointment, that was. But I got selected the very next year, so don't give up hope.

The other person was AllyJane, though she hasn't posted here in nearly 2 months. Maybe you should take a sign with her name in with you so you can get those drinks afterwards :p

The other person was AllyJane, though she hasn't posted here in nearly 2 months. Maybe you should take a sign with her name in with you so you can get those drinks afterwards :p

Haha I've got a plane to catch later that afternoon that I can't afford to miss so I think I'll be politely reneging on that offer and making a mad dash for the airport!

Can I just say all this waiting to see what will happen in this month's Visa Bulletin is quite excrutiating. I am praying to the immigration gods we see a jump of at least 300. Had to get that off my chest. Feel better now :)

Long time listener, first time caller...

Hello everyone. Some great info here and I am going to be doing some catch up reading to get educated. There are a few questions on my mind and I fear I might ask a couple that have already been answered... But there are a lot of well informed people here so I am glad I found you… I’d love to get involved and introduce myself to the community and ask a few of those questions while I am at it...

I am in Melbourne. 2014OC000015xx is where I fall.

How confident about a call back should I be with a number in the 2014OC000015xx’s? I feel I am border line and looking at finding something out in March or October... Different resources are giving me different answers to that question!
Does anyone know how I best contact the KCC offices to confirm they received the paperwork I sent back to them a few months ago?

Also, any idea what the email address we hear back from might look like. I have a fear something will come in, be put in my junk folder and I will miss it somehow, even though I triple check... I noticed someone with a higher number than 15xx has listed that they have already heard back and paid fees. Good for them, but that confuses me on how the order of the number system works.

Wondering what everyones answer to the inevitable interview question of “So, why do you want to move to the USA?” will be…

Mine is “my girlfriend of 5 years strong is currently going for her o1 visa and our intentions are to set up in NYC, which we have visited and lived in for a good amount of time together, back and forth on tourist visas, subletting apartments, 3 months at a time... but obviously we are unable to reach our goals by doing this and can not work for profit either. So to make it worth it and allow her to realise her very realistic dreams, which are only attainable in NYC, we needed to get her a visa. And then I also needed a visa to make the move with her… So I applied for the DVL and here we are…”

But I am not so sure how that sounds to them… Any opinions?

And on a separate note, if her o1 is not granted on grounds of a lack of evidence, and I am called for an interview and successful, I have the intention of proposing at some stage to get us over there together and to push her forward in her career. An engagement would have happened anyway, but with the right timing… This opportunity might speed things up a little though.

Would we need to be married before the interview or after my interview and entry into the United States was successful? I have to do some research on how that would work and if its best to be married before the interview or after to get her along with me. I think I read somewhere that before the interview is best... Of course I didn’t send back my papers saying we were married or engaged as we are not, and concerned it draws a red flag if all of a sudden I am requesting an extra ticket. Is that something which may look suspicious if I am all of a sudden married? Even if its a well established, long running relationship? I will definitely be back here if I don’t find answers in previous postings but any advice would be fantastic.

Kind regards and have a great day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone. Some great info here and I am going to be doing some catch up reading to get educated. There are a few questions on my mind and I fear I might ask a couple that have already been answered... But there are a lot of well informed people here so I am glad I found you… I’d love to get involved and introduce myself to the community and ask a few of those questions while I am at it...

I am in Melbourne. 2014OC000015xx is where I fall.

How confident about a call back should I be with a number in the 2014OC000015xx’s? I feel I am border line and looking at finding something out in March or October... Different resources are giving me different answers to that question!
Does anyone know how I best contact the KCC offices to confirm they received the paperwork I sent back to them a few months ago?

Also, any idea what the email address we hear back from might look like. I have a fear something will come in, be put in my junk folder and I will miss it somehow, even though I triple check... I noticed someone with a higher number than 15xx has listed that they have already heard back and paid fees. Good for them, but that confuses me on how the order of the number system works.

Wondering what everyones answer to the inevitable interview question of “So, why do you want to move to the USA?” will be…

Mine is “my girlfriend of 5 years strong is currently going for her o1 visa and our intentions are to set up in NYC, which we have visited and lived in for a good amount of time together, back and forth on tourist visas, subletting apartments, 3 months at a time... but obviously we are unable to reach our goals by doing this and can not work for profit either. So to make it worth it and allow her to realise her very realistic dreams, which are only attainable in NYC, we needed to get her a visa. And then I also needed a visa to make the move with her… So I applied for the DVL and here we are…”

But I am not so sure how that sounds to them… Any opinions?

And on a separate note, if her o1 is not granted on grounds of a lack of evidence, and I am called for an interview and successful, I have the intention of proposing at some stage to get us over there together and to push her forward in her career. An engagement would have happened anyway, but with the right timing… This opportunity might speed things up a little though.

Would we need to be married before the interview or after my interview and entry into the United States was successful? I have to do some research on how that would work and if its best to be married before the interview or after to get her along with me. I think I read somewhere that before the interview is best... Of course I didn’t send back my papers saying we were married or engaged as we are not, and concerned it draws a red flag if all of a sudden I am requesting an extra ticket. Is that something which may look suspicious if I am all of a sudden married? Even if its a well established, long running relationship? I will definitely be back here if I don’t find answers in previous postings but any advice would be fantastic.

Kind regards and have a great day!

Ok so they questions I can see are these.

Is your number low enough to get an interview?
Yes - almost without doubt.

When will you get an interview?
Around march/April would be my guess at the moment we will know more in a few days.

Critique of the interview question/answer?
The interviewer won't judge you on that question so don't worry about it. Also the interviews are often less wordy than the answer you gave!

The email address?
That is shown on your selectee letter. However when your number is current you can check the status check website for your appointment regardless f whether you have the email or not - so don't worry about it.

Re marriage before/after interview?
BEFORE. You will get more questions about the marriage because of timing but you should be prepared to show it was a real relationship anyway before the DV win. It is refectory understandable that you would accelerate plans for the DV process...

Ring them. I found their email responses useless. They were cut-and-pastes of stock standard verbiage which were probably automatically generated and nothing new.

Also, any idea what the email address we hear back from might look like. I have a fear something will come in, be put in my junk folder and I will miss it somehow, even though I triple check

It'll come from: "noreply@state.gov"
with the subject: "Required Entry Status Check for DV Submission"

You might not get asked that. They didn't ask me that. It's best not to go to the interview expecting a certain set of questions as they can vary. Whatever they ask, keep it concise and to the point. I got that advice from a Los Angeles immigration lawyer who's a friend of a friend. He told me: Don't offer them more information than they ask, and don't go on and on because you might say something they'll take a certain way which you didn't intend and get yourself in a pickle. Your suggested answer seemed on the long, verbose side and was all about your girlfriend. Very sweet but I'm under the impression that YOU got selected, so why do YOU want to move there? :) Your last sentence seems to imply you're just along for the ride. Just the impression I got, sorry.

If I'm correct about you being the selectee, you'll be the focus of the interview. They'll want to know whether you can make it in the US. What's your career/education? Will you become a public charge? If you're married by the time you're interviewed, which is advisable, they might ask your wife about her career. Or not, depending on the Consular Officer.

All the best!

"CN: 2014OC000020XX
05/01/13: 1st NL
05/06/13: Posted DSP-122 + barcode + 2 photos to KCC
04/10/13: 2nd NL received (via email)
06/10/13: $330 DV payment posted
28/10/13: DV payment receipt received (via email)"

I don't understand, this is a quote from another user above, and I have a simlilar number, why haven't I got a 2nd NL, I am low 2000s, what does this mean? Where do I find out this things?

Hold on, how do the notification letters happen? I posted my forms in may. Do they come the mail or just in your email inbox?

And has the user above mixed american date notation with austrlalian date notation confusing me?

04/10/13 is AFTER 05/06/13?

I don't understand what is happening it scares me that you're all up in this "NL" jive talk and I'm just not up with it all. Where did you learn the ways of this forum?

I am scared I'm gonna miss something.

Number two thousand and low somethin oceania.

Hi there!

I living in the US already and thus Im doing the AOS process so Im not sure if our cases are comparable at all. I sent my forms to KCC 6 May and only got the 2nd NL back in October. Maybe you might want to email KCC to check on the status of your forms etc. The 2nd NL just acknowledges you are proceeding with the application process and gives instructions how to pay the DV fee, it doesnt have anything to do with how high your case number is. Mine was emailed to me.

Hold on, how do the notification letters happen? I posted my forms in may. Do they come the mail or just in your email inbox?

And has the user above mixed american date notation with austrlalian date notation confusing me?

04/10/13 is AFTER 05/06/13?

I don't understand what is happening it scares me that you're all up in this "NL" jive talk and I'm just not up with it all. Where did you learn the ways of this forum?

I am scared I'm gonna miss something.

Number two thousand and low somethin oceania.