• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

this is great to know. then again, i would think of the failure to fulfil eligibility requirements, etc, oceania would be one of the 'cleaner' regions. i wonder if failure of other regions to meet their quota, would give us a bigger piece of the pie.. maybe not. i could speculate all day on this one :D

From some of the stats i've seen, Oceania actually has the second lowest success rate when it comes to winners getting visas. I believe this is due predominantly to people not following through on their applications. If you think about it, as Oceania is a relatively highly developed region, a lot of people wouldn't be that concerned about not following through. When you compare this to other less developed regions, winners have a much greater incentive to follow through.

Either way, I think that winners with higher numbers shouldn't necessarily despair.

Not unless the person is married to someone from the eligible country where he/she is now based and eligibility could be claimed via the spouse. In the scenario you've painted, the person cannot claim eligibility based on his/her current country of residence (even if he/she is a citizen of this new country of residency). This person though currently selected for further processing is most likely going to be disqualified at the time of the interview.

So, you means that he/she will be disqualified straight away at the interview? If so, he/she needs to get married with a person who was born in an eligible country.

Is there any ways else?

Yes, the person most likely will be disqualified at the time of the interview.

Getting married to someone from an eligible country could be a solution, but mind you it's not as simple as it sounds. For such a person to claim eligibility through marriage, the marriage would have had to take place prior to the person putting in an eDV application in the first place. If such a person where to get married after the selection and try to claim eligibility through marriage, such a person would be charged with visa fraud and get slammed with a life-time ban from the US.

Thank you very much with your information, Sm1smom.

Yes, the person most likely will be disqualified at the time of the interview.

Getting married to someone from an eligible country could be a solution, but mind you it's not as simple as it sounds. For such a person to claim eligibility through marriage, the marriage would have had to take place prior to the person putting in an eDV application in the first place. If such a person where to get married after the selection and try to claim eligibility through marriage, such a person would be charged with visa fraud and get slammed with a life-time ban from the US.

this is great to know. then again, i would think of the failure to fulfil eligibility requirements, etc, oceania would be one of the 'cleaner' regions. i wonder if failure of other regions to meet their quota, would give us a bigger piece of the pie.. maybe not. i could speculate all day on this one :D

According to their documentation (9 FAM 42.33 N3.1 Formula): "... Any unused portion of a regional quota is distributed proportionally among the other regions. High admission states are excluded entirely from the apportionment ..." So OC could get a few extra places but not many. Probably more OC places go to other regions.

From the CEAC data I looked at, it seems more OC selectees abandon the process than get refused. And the Suva Consulate gets the bulk of the refusals. I read something somewhere that stated the country with the highest fraud in the OC region is Fiji.

Dual Nationality Question DV2015

Hi Guys,

Glad I found this site! I'm quite new to the DV program and have been chasing my tail looking for an answer to the below.

My question pertains to the country of Eligibility. I was born in Paris although I'm not a French (Euro) citizen but I hold both Moroccan and Australian citizenships (passports).

Should I be applying as an Aussie or Moroccan? I'm thinking as an Aussie since I currently reside here and have no intention of moving to Morocco...

FYI; Morocco is an Eligible country too

Thank you in advance!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, this is fun one.

The answer is most probably French. The entry is normally based on your country of nativity - i.e. where you were born, so assuming your birth cert says Paris as place of birth, then you should be thinking France, unless you have a strong reason not to. Country of citizenship has nothing to do with it.

Now, you could possibly make a case to apply under your parents nationality, but only if your parents were in Paris temporarily and you ca prove that. Post details about that if you want to explore that option.

Hi Guys,

Glad I found this site! I'm quite new to the DV program and have been chasing my tail looking for an answer to the below.

My question pertains to the country of Eligibility. I was born in Paris although I'm not a French (Euro) citizen but I hold both Moroccan and Australian citizenships (passports).

Should I be applying as an Aussie or Moroccan? I'm thinking as an Aussie since I currently reside here and have no intention of moving to Morocco...

FYI; Morocco is an Eligible country too

Thank you in advance!!

Thanks britsimon...

I have absolutely no relations to France except it being my birth place. My parents moved back to Morocco after they finished their Uni in Paris (I was about 4 y.o) and didn't bother getting themselves or me the citizenship.

I have managed to get a somewhat vague answer from KCC and it reads as follows:

"A "Native" is someone born in a particular country, regardless of the individual’s current country or residence or nationality. But for immigration purposes "native" means someone who is entitled to be "charged" to a country other than the one in which he/she was born under the provisions of Section 202 (b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

For example, if a principal applicant was born in a country that is not eligible for this year’s DV program, he/she may claim "chargeability" to the country where his/her derivative spouse was born, but he/she will not be issued a DV-1 unless the spouse is also eligible for and is issued a DV-2, and both must either enter the U.S. together on the DVs. In a similar manner, a minor dependent child can be "charged" to a parent’s country of birth.

Finally, any applicant born in a country ineligible for this year’s DV program can be "charged" to the country of birth of either parent as long as neither parent was a resident of the ineligible country at the time of the applicant’s birth. In general, people are not considered residents of a country in which they were not born or legally naturalized if they are only visiting the country temporarily or stationed in the country for business or professional reasons on behalf of a company or government.

An applicant who claims alternative chargeability must include information to that effect on the application for registration. Please contact us again if you need further assistance." KCC

I think the keyword for me here is "But for immigration purposes "native" means someone who is entitled to be "charged" to a country other than the one in which he/she was born under the provisions of Section 202 (b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act"

Would you agree with me that I should apply as an Aussie since i'm entitled to be "charged" to Australia?

Cheers

Thanks britsimon...

I have absolutely no relations to France except it being my birth place. My parents moved back to Morocco after they finished their Uni in Paris (I was about 4 y.o) and didn't bother getting themselves or me the citizenship.

I have managed to get a somewhat vague answer from KCC and it reads as follows:

"A "Native" is someone born in a particular country, regardless of the individual’s current country or residence or nationality. But for immigration purposes "native" means someone who is entitled to be "charged" to a country other than the one in which he/she was born under the provisions of Section 202 (b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

For example, if a principal applicant was born in a country that is not eligible for this year’s DV program, he/she may claim "chargeability" to the country where his/her derivative spouse was born, but he/she will not be issued a DV-1 unless the spouse is also eligible for and is issued a DV-2, and both must either enter the U.S. together on the DVs. In a similar manner, a minor dependent child can be "charged" to a parent’s country of birth.

Finally, any applicant born in a country ineligible for this year’s DV program can be "charged" to the country of birth of either parent as long as neither parent was a resident of the ineligible country at the time of the applicant’s birth. In general, people are not considered residents of a country in which they were not born or legally naturalized if they are only visiting the country temporarily or stationed in the country for business or professional reasons on behalf of a company or government.

An applicant who claims alternative chargeability must include information to that effect on the application for registration. Please contact us again if you need further assistance." KCC

I think the keyword for me here is "But for immigration purposes "native" means someone who is entitled to be "charged" to a country other than the one in which he/she was born under the provisions of Section 202 (b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act"

Would you agree with me that I should apply as an Aussie since i'm entitled to be "charged" to Australia?

Cheers

So far I can see France (strongly) and I can see why you might claim Morocco (because I'm assuming your parents were Moroccan and were temporarily in Paris during studies). I can't see any connection to Australia yet.

OK - some questions.

What is your birthplace on your birth cert?
What is your parents nationality (where were they both born)?
Could you prove that your parents were only in Paris for the time they were at university?

-What is your birthplace on your birth cert? Paris, France
-What is your parents nationality (where were they both born)? Moroccan (Both Born in Morocco)
-Could you prove that your parents were only in Paris for the time they were at university? Can't see how... Their passports from the 70s? Uni records from 1977?

The connection to Aus is: I have been a citizen of Australia since 2010 (permanent resident from 2006). Doesn't holding a country's citizenship entitle you to be "charged" to it?

Getting confused :confused:

OK there is absolutely NO WAY to put Australia. If you do you WILL be disqualified if you were to win. I am CERTAIN of that. Ociana has the highest chances of being selected a winner, BUT they have a smallish quota, so I'm not sure that the best chance is from Australia anyway.

You can for sure choose France. You can change citizenship and so on, but you cannot change your place of birth and that is why they base this whole process on place of birth - "nativity". Europe has a large allocation of visas and (this year at least) seems to be easier to process (and thus is moving faster).

You could choose Morocco BUT only if you can absolutely prove they were just there temporarily. If you do you will be in AF region. That has roughly the same chances (perhaps a bit more) than Europe. This is a risky and not worthwhile gamble in my opinion. If you fail to gather the proof, you will be disqualified.

Sources of information...

The entry rules of the lottery and the FAQ describe the nativity issue pretty well.

Further info here:-
http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/22CFR/HTML/22CFR/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-1088/0-0-0-1143.html

Other good threads on this subject

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...-parents-temporary-residents-at-time-of-birth

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...ountry-(Egypt-or-Saudi-Arabia-Which-is-best-)

-What is your birthplace on your birth cert? Paris, France
-What is your parents nationality (where were they both born)? Moroccan (Both Born in Morocco)
-Could you prove that your parents were only in Paris for the time they were at university? Can't see how... Their passports from the 70s? Uni records from 1977?

The connection to Aus is: I have been a citizen of Australia since 2010 (permanent resident from 2006). Doesn't holding a country's citizenship entitle you to be "charged" to it?

Getting confused :confused:

Appreciate your input britsimon!

If am to use France for my chargeability, would I have to go through the process whilst in France? i.e. Interview, Health check, etc...

Also, will I need to provide a French police clearance? given that I've only lived there until I was 4?

I wouldn't use Morocco simply because It will be difficult to prove that my parents lived in France temporarily.

Appreciate your input britsimon!

If am to use France for my chargeability, would I have to go through the process whilst in France? i.e. Interview, Health check, etc...

Also, will I need to provide a French police clearance? given that I've only lived there until I was 4?

I wouldn't use Morocco simply because It will be difficult to prove that my parents lived in France temporarily.

You would interview at the embassy nearest wherever you currently live (I assume Sydney for you). The only "connection" to France you would have is that your number would be an EU case number.

You would not need a police cert from France as you were under 16.

Dropouts along the way from Oceania ...

NJames might be right, as I've heard anecdotally from three separate people, in Sydney, how friends of theirs who've won the DV from Australia over the past four years never even pursued the matter enough to take the interview.

In two cases their circumstances had changed by the time they'd been earmarked for processing (one had fallen in love and moved to Ireland; one landed some flash new, high-paying job here in Australia), and another two had simply entered the lottery casually, as 'a thing to do', but when they won, realised the consequences of moving - what it would mean in terms of leaving family and loved ones, the costs involved, the uncertainty, etc. - and decided against it. I suspect this is not entirely uncommon.

I was wondering about having to go to Europe on business in February, in case I'd be interviewing that month. Have to say, that's looking distinctly unlikely now ...

CN: 2014OC000013XX

From some of the stats i've seen, Oceania actually has the second lowest success rate when it comes to winners getting visas. I believe this is due predominantly to people not following through on their applications. If you think about it, as Oceania is a relatively highly developed region, a lot of people wouldn't be that concerned about not following through. When you compare this to other less developed regions, winners have a much greater incentive to follow through.

Either way, I think that winners with higher numbers shouldn't necessarily despair.

I'm a selectee and I'm new here.

Hello fellow selectees..
Im from Sydney and I've been selected for further processing. So glad I came across this forum cause I have been so super confused with everything.

My CN is in the 700's (after some reading on here apparently thats a good thing?)

I sent off my 2 forms and 2 photos to KCC in June and the parcel has arrived (USPS tracking) but I haven't heard anything since. Is that normal?

I have seen a couple people saying they have recieved 2nd NL, but I haven't :(
What usually comes first - the 2nd NL or CN coming up on the visa bulletin?

Would love some guidance if possible.

Thanks so much.
JayPizzle

Hey gang,

In relation to our CN numbers going current, I would have assumed that anyone under 3500 odd is in with a high chance, given that there is 7% allocated to each region?

Im not sure if spouses etc count to that 50k allocation though, but if they do that would obviously impact.

As for people not accepting or taking the initial win further, I know 2 people who won this year who will not be going through the process, so again, I think a fair few people don't take the option after they win, and that will help.

It doesn't help the anxiety though!

Hello fellow selectees..
Im from Sydney and I've been selected for further processing. So glad I came across this forum cause I have been so super confused with everything.

My CN is in the 700's (after some reading on here apparently thats a good thing?)

I sent off my 2 forms and 2 photos to KCC in June and the parcel has arrived (USPS tracking) but I haven't heard anything since. Is that normal?

I have seen a couple people saying they have recieved 2nd NL, but I haven't :(
What usually comes first - the 2nd NL or CN coming up on the visa bulletin?

Would love some guidance if possible.

Thanks so much.
JayPizzle

Hi JayPizzle,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on being selected! Great number too! With regard to your 2NL, the KCC won't actually send you any acknowledgment that they have received your documents unless you specifically ask for them. So it is completely normal that you haven't heard anything from them. I emailed them and many weeks later they sent me an email saying they were processing my documents.

With your case number, you'll probably be due for your interview early next year. I received my interview notification on 22 August for an interview on 8 October. Keep on eye on the visa bulletin and once your number comes up you'll receive your notification letter via email shortly afterwards.

Hopefully this helps!

Hey gang,

In relation to our CN numbers going current, I would have assumed that anyone under 3500 odd is in with a high chance, given that there is 7% allocated to each region?

Im not sure if spouses etc count to that 50k allocation though, but if they do that would obviously impact.

As for people not accepting or taking the initial win further, I know 2 people who won this year who will not be going through the process, so again, I think a fair few people don't take the option after they win, and that will help.

It doesn't help the anxiety though!

About that assumption of anyone under 3500 is in with a high chance - that isn't correct. The numbers are across a region and have holes, whereas the 7% limit is per country. There is no OC country even remotely close to hitting the 7% limit.

I believe the 50K does include derivatives (although there has been some disagreement/debate on that point).

There is no doubt that the dropout rate is huge - especially from countries where life is "comfortable"...

Hi JayPizzle,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on being selected! Great number too! With regard to your 2NL, the KCC won't actually send you any acknowledgment that they have received your documents unless you specifically ask for them. So it is completely normal that you haven't heard anything from them. I emailed them and many weeks later they sent me an email saying they were processing my documents.

With your case number, you'll probably be due for your interview early next year. I received my interview notification on 22 August for an interview on 8 October. Keep on eye on the visa bulletin and once your number comes up you'll receive your notification letter via email shortly afterwards.

Hopefully this helps!

Hi NJames,

Thanks for that. I thought this may be the case. I wasnt expecting to be notified that they recieved my documents, which is why I paid for courier tracking (just to be certain)

Congrats to you also! How did the interview go? Super exciting.

Also, not sure if anyone can answer this, but if you are issued with a diveresity visa, by what date (usually) do you have to make your first entry into the USA? Is there like a time limit on how long its valid before your first entry?

Cheers

Also, not sure if anyone can answer this, but if you are issued with a diveresity visa, by what date (usually) do you have to make your first entry into the USA? Is there like a time limit on how long its valid before your first entry?

Cheers

Six months maximum from issue to first entry.