• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Dear Njames and Dv friends,

So, you mean that I can use National Police Check Certificate used for Security Job position for DV Visa Interview if it is valided within 12 months. I am really happy about that. This certificate cost me $ AUD 144 in last month.

I'm not 100 per cent sure, but I would be careful about this. The medical check must be current when you enter the US for the first time on the green card, so perhaps the police check is the same. This means that even if it's not expired by the time you get an interview, it might be expired by the time you hit the US. I'd be calling KCC to double-check when you get your interview date.

I am worried is I didn't fill in the address in America on the form DV lottery visa. So, do I allow to provide my friend 's address in America on the Interview ?

You have to provide an address at the interview if you didn't on the initial paperwork.

On the Bulletin today, I see that It cuts off is 450 people in December . For my case number is 200x, my interview date is maybe in Feb or Mar in next year.

I think it'll be quite a bit later than that, at this rate. Think April or May.

I am not good at convincing the interviewer. Therefore, I am very worried to see consular. So, I would like to know the chance I am granted to a visa to move to USA if I follow the lottery visa processing.

What the consular often questions in the interview? I studied VCE in Melbourne, Human Resources and working.

The term "interview" is misleading. You don't have to "convince" the interviewer. As long as your paperwork (medical exam, police check, proof of high school education etc) is all clear and legit, there doesn't appear to be any questions from the interviewing officer that will make or break your chances. Completing all your paperwork correctly and bringing all the necessary documentation to the appointment is what "convinces" them.

If it continues at the current rate you are probably going to have to wait and see if the numbers for Oceania turn current. If it only continues at the current rate then we will only hit the 1100 mark if it jumps by 150 per month then we are looking at only numbers up to 1800 getting interviews.

OC December Numbers

Here's some OC numbers from previous DV Years.
Sometimes low numbers in December still end in higher numbers before the DV becomes current.

HTML:
DV03	DV04	DV05	DV06	DV07	DV08	DV09	DV10	DV11	DV12	DV13	DV14	DV Year
675	962	769	831	541	710	605	639	578	562			OC Visa Issuance & AOS

July	July	Aug	Aug	July	July	June	July	July	May			Month of last No.
615	1000	1275	1115	1800	1650	930	1300	1400	1150			Last No. before Current

200	500	330	270	375	675	440	675	700	575	500	450	December No.

Ref: http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/FY12AnnualReport-TableVII.pdf
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1770.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably also worth mentioning that if you've lived in another country for more than 12 months, you will have to obtain a police certificate from that country as well. At my interview there was a family just before me who had there Australian police check but not from another country where they had previously lived. Consequently, they were not approved for the visa on the day and the consular official said that they would have to wait for the foreign police check before they could continue processing their application.

Has anyone actually asked? I've thought of contacting the consulate here in NZ and seeing if it was possible to speak to someone about the process, it seems patently ridiculous to me, that they advise you have been selected for further processing, when you may never actually get anything processed. Oceania is always under subscribed compared to other nations, you'd think they would place preference there.

I've been thinking this! I was going to call and ask (or email) but I doubt they'll be able to tell me anything.
I agree it seems ridiculous- I was so quick to act on my first notification letter, yet at this rate my number will never come up! (I'm early-mid 2000s). It doesn't make any sense that there would be such a huge jump in the numbers selected for Oceania, and then such a cut in the number interviewed each month!
For something so life changing, it's frustrating. I need to make important career & study decisions between now and September 2014 and it's going to be very hard to do that without knowing if my case number will ever become 'current'.

Also, I got another email yesterday advising me that my visa had been issued that day!! So hopefully I should have it by the end of today!!!!

The email also informed me that there was another fee to be paid before I enter the US ggrrrrr! Oh well, it's worth it!!

I have a question (am pretty new to this whole process!:p) - in previous years when all case numbers have turned 'current'- is that an indication that there has been a similar jump in numbers for that month (i.e. 200ish) to the full amount of selectees for that year (e.g. in 2011 there were 1500-1600 selectees?) OR is it an indication that they're running out of time for that year and they're interviewing everyone (even if the number of selectees far exceeds the hundred or so numbers above the previous month- e.g. in 2011 there could have been say, 2500 selectees)?

Does that make any sense whatsoever??! Haha, difficult to explain what I'm trying to say!!

Also, I got another email yesterday advising me that my visa had been issued that day!! So hopefully I should have it by the end of today!!!!

The email also informed me that there was another fee to be paid before I enter the US ggrrrrr! Oh well, it's worth it!!
Yeah, that's to compensate the CIS for their cost of administrating and printing the shiny green card. Up until now you have only been dealing with (and paying) the Department of State. Now the Department of Homeland Security wants their cut.

The silver lining is that the process continues despite the government shutdown because we (applicants) fund these agencies, not Congress.

When it turns current it means that they have enough visas left over for the amount of interviewees left to be interviewed.

Well I just got a heart-in-mouth surprise in my inbox - an email from the consulate in Sydney asking me to confirm my interview by October 21. The date was highlighted in the email, and since it was a form letter it didn't have my actual date and time in it and I panicked haha.

Anyway it also contained a full list of the things I need to bring. It's pretty text-heavy but if anyone wants me to post them here I'm happy to.

Well I just got a heart-in-mouth surprise in my inbox - an email from the consulate in Sydney asking me to confirm my interview by October 21. The date was highlighted in the email, and since it was a form letter it didn't have my actual date and time in it and I panicked haha.

Anyway it also contained a full list of the things I need to bring. It's pretty text-heavy but if anyone wants me to post them here I'm happy to.

Yes - that would be good to see.

Apologies for the formatting - this is copied and pasted directly.

Documents Required; Guide to Checklist - For detailed information, you may refer to the Step 1 and 3 Instructions. Each number below corresponds to the number on the “Documents Required Checklist”.

1. One U.S. passport size photo (5x5cm on a white background). It must be taken within the last 6 months and not the same used for your entry application. Refer to our list of known photographers who take U.S. sized passport photographs. Write your full name on the back of the photo(s).

2. Original valid passport and photocopy of its biographic page.

A Passport must be valid for travel to the United States and must have at least 60 days validity beyond the issuance date of the visa. Children may be included on a parent’s passport, but if over the age of 16, they must have their photographs attached to the passport.

3. Original education certificate (including original English translation, if applicable) and one photocopy, only of the principal applicant.

OR; if you are not able to meet the education requirements, we will require:

4. Original employment records and one photocopy, only of the principal applicant.

5. If you do not meet the minimum Year 12 high school education requirement, please refer to website http://online.onetcenter.org/ to determine your eligibility under your work experience.

Print out a copy and bring to your interview with a summary of your day to day job duties.

6. Original Adoption decree or Evidence of name change where applicable, (original English translation, if applicable) and one photocopy.

7. Original Australian Citizenship certificate if applicable, and one photocopy.

8. Original Birth certificate, (including original English translation, if applicable) and one photocopy.

9. For any minor child immigrating with one parent, custody information must be submitted. This may include a Family Court Order verifying sole custody to the immigrating parent, OR a signed and dated affidavit from the child’s other parent advising of his/her knowledge and consent for the child to live in the United States which should include a copy of a photo ID of that parent, OR a death certificate of the other parent (original and one photocopy required). Either of the above options should include the original and one photocopy.

10. Original Divorce or Death certificate, (including original English translation, if applicable) & one photocopy.

11. Original Marriage certificate, (including original English translation, if applicable) & one photocopy.

12. Original Australian police certificate & one photocopy. Valid for 12 months

13. Original police certificates of other countries if applicable, (including original English translation, if applicable) & one photocopy. To obtain instructions of police certificates from other countries

14. Original Court Records if applicable, (including original English translation, if applicable) & one photocopy, together with one original and photocopy of the statute for which you were convicted.

15. Original Military Record if applicable, (including original English translation, if applicable) & one photocopy.

16. Original medical examination results. Valid for 6 months

17. One 3kg self-addressed Platinum/Express Post envelope, which will be used to mail you your visa.

For families for 4 or more applicants you must provide a 5kg self-addressed Platinum/Express Post envelope. Ensure you have addressed the envelope of where you wish to have your sealed visa package(s) and passport(s) returned to in Australia.

18. Fee is per visa applicant to be paid by cash, credit card or a Bank Check

Thanks Crawf33 that is very useful. A good basic list of the docs required - and it was useful to see the single parent thing confirmed - I had assumed that would be needed for someone in that position but hadn't seen anything "official". There are some additional things that you may want to take. In particular the proof of financial support is missing from that list and of course other embassies may have their own requirements on lists of documents needed...

Is proof of financial support confirmed anywhere? I thought that had gone the way of the dinosaurs a couple of years ago. Either way it can't hurt to take a bank statement I guess.

Is proof of financial support confirmed anywhere? I thought that had gone the way of the dinosaurs a couple of years ago. Either way it can't hurt to take a bank statement I guess.

It is important to take something. They are supposed to be sure you won't become a public charge - so yes, if you are obviously setup in life with a good job and home etc they may not even ask to see proof, but if you were a poor kid from a small town in the outback they would almost certainly ask to see financial proof. In some countries it is considered an essential part of the interview package.

I've been thinking this! I was going to call and ask (or email) but I doubt they'll be able to tell me anything.
I agree it seems ridiculous- I was so quick to act on my first notification letter, yet at this rate my number will never come up! (I'm early-mid 2000s). It doesn't make any sense that there would be such a huge jump in the numbers selected for Oceania, and then such a cut in the number interviewed each month!
For something so life changing, it's frustrating. I need to make important career & study decisions between now and September 2014 and it's going to be very hard to do that without knowing if my case number will ever become 'current'.

I hear u emma, its a crazy world when a randomly assigned number can have such a big impact on life decisions. I'm in a similar position myself. I'm working on an expect nothing basis and if it comes up it was meant to be. Good luck with it

I'm working on an expect nothing basis and if it comes up it was meant to be.

This is the best way to look at it. While I hate to be the one to burst bubbles Emma, it's a lottery and you won a ticket in it, not the prize unfortunately. All you can really do is enter the 2015 lottery as well, keep an eye on the cutoffs and your inbox for a 2NL and keep living the life you lead now. It'll be easier to reevaluate your plans WITH an unexpected green card than it would be to make all your plans around something that doesn't end up happening.

Hey does anyone know who actually decides what the VB cut off numbers are going to be? I just wonder whether there is some miscalculation going on. To progress at 75 CNs a month (and slower than prior years) when 4100 were selected for further processing is so puzzling it makes me wonder whether there is an error being made somewhere. It would be nice, rather than speculating and stressing out, to actually have a confirmation about whether the CNs are going to escalate or stay at 75 with a free for all come September...Ideas anyone??