• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Hi everyone,

I have been selected at number 11XX, and about to go overseas for a little while. I realise I have to come back to Sydney for interview/medical/etc but does anyone have some confirmed info on what I would need to prepare in preparation for an interview?

With the national police check, is this with finger prints as well?

If anyone who has an interview coming up and has prepared documents/info can assist, would be great!

I haven't received my 2nd NL yet, but want to be ready. I also read because I am from South Australia that I can just get my medical (in Sydney) on the same day as my interview, then they forward these documents to the consulate. Has anyone done this on the same day?

Hi bman85,

I've got my interview next week and I've got all my documents prepared. Don't take my word for it just in case i'm wrong, but I believe you only require a police check from the State you live in. In the next selectees steps and the Canberra Embassy website, the reciprocity table directs you to the police website from each State. Also on page 3 of the next selectees steps, table under the police check states that, 'the applicant needs a certificate from that LOCALITY' which I take to mean State. Also, I emailed the consulate months ago regarding whether I needed a finger print check or a name check and their response was:

"Your certificate can be based on a name check or fingerprint check. If it’s based on a name check, it must contain all aliases previously and presently used."

I live in Qld so I got them to send my check directly to the consulate in Sydney. This check only costs $50 as compared to the fingerprint check which is $180. But once again, I recommend contacting the consulate directly yourself.

With the medical check, I had mine done last Monday. I had to give a urine sample, blood sample, and chest x-rays. I got them back two days later with a form filled out by the doctor, an envelop which i'm not allowed to open (only the consular processor can), and my chest x-rays which apparently I am not required to take to the interview but which i must retain when i (hopefully) move to the US.

I'm also going to bring with me my birth certificate, documents proving year 12 completion and uni degrees, official bank statements, a 3kg express post return envelop with my address filled out, the official selection letter containing my case number, my interview confirmation letter, money to pay the fees, and most importantly my passport.

Good luck with your application!!

Also, I read an article in the Courier Mail today that states definitively that Embassy and Consular services in Australia will not be affected by the government shutdown. To quote the article:

"For the time being, essential services are going to continue and consular services are certainly considered essential," consulate spokesman Dave McGuire told AAP.

"It obviously varies from country to country but here in Australia, we would continue with our staffing as it is."

Passports would still be returned within five working days, Mr McGuire said."

Good news for Australians!!!

Do NOT wait till the day of the interview to get it done. Bad Bad idea, you can check on the website and get it done in your state. Have you had all of the required injections?

Problem is, there's no doctor in his state (SA). The US consulate actually advises SA applicants to do it all on the one day.

"There are no authorized panel physicians to conduct medical examinations for visa applicants in South Australia, Tasmania and the ACT; therefore, it is recommended that visa applicants from these states make an afternoon medical appointment with a Sydney panel physician on the same day of their visa appointment."

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/med_exam_instructions.html

I'd feel a little stressed doing it all on the one day, but for applicants with no doctors in their state, multiple interstate trips can be expensive.

I think what I would do is once I knew my interview date, book the trip to Sydney, stay a few days, and do my medical with a few days to spare before the interview. Or if you happen to be interstate (Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane) anytime between now and your estimated interview date, take advantage of it and get your medical done in advance... though you may need to explain to them that you're from interstate, and possibly without an interview date yet, so they can accommodate you

Last edited by a moderator:
"it is recommended that visa applicants from these states make an afternoon medical appointment with a Sydney panel physician on the same day of their visa appointment."

Ugh that'd be a nightmare. And how long would it delay your visa confirmation? One would hope they'd receive the results within a couple of days and grant it or deny it promptly.

Either way, I'd be going for the peace of mind method and doing it beforehand if possible. A word of warning though - you wouldn't want to gamble on when you "think" your interview date is going to be. No one knows how the count of current numbers is going to unfold, and your medical is only valid for six months before it needs to be re-done. Unless you're absolutely confident your number will be up in the next month (i.e. mine's 30x, October cut off at 300, so I knew I was safe for November), I wouldn't risk it. That's what, $500 down the drain plus travel expenses? Yeesh.

Absolutely agree with Crawf33, perhaps if you can go to sydney a couple of days in advance... and you know make a week of sight seeing and such. It will also be a great way to take your mind off the up coming interview.

Hi all. I just discovered this site and it is great to hear everyone's stories. My case number is 2014OC000015xx, which seems to be right in the middle. Fingers crossed for an interview some time next year.

I got married a few months back after I had sent my initial forms to KCC. I contacted KCC and they said to fill out an additional DS 230 form for my husband and my case would be adjusted accordingly. I am hoping they won't give us too much trouble about the marriage occurring after being selected for the visa considering that we have been together for almost 15 years. I am keen to change my surname to my husband's but am pondering whether I should do that before or after we have my interview (assuming we get that far). I want to make the visa process as easy as possible so am a bit nervous about complicating things.

Welcome to the group ABC have a read thru this thread and the one from last year for aussies. There is heaps of great info on here and plenty of people here to help you .

Marriage- based adjustment of status interview?

Hi. My husband and I got married after he was selected. We have plenty of proof of our bonafide relationship so we aren't worried, but I just read that there is a marriage-based adjustment of status interview, which is separate to the main interview. Is this correct? Does anyone know if this comes before or after the main interview? We need to know as he does a lot of travelling for work and is sometimes gone for months. It's hard enough trying to make sure we're in the same country at the same time for the interview let alone a second interview!

Thanks

Hi. My husband and I got married after he was selected. We have plenty of proof of our bonafide relationship so we aren't worried, but I just read that there is a marriage-based adjustment of status interview, which is separate to the main interview. Is this correct? Does anyone know if this comes before or after the main interview? We need to know as he does a lot of travelling for work and is sometimes gone for months. It's hard enough trying to make sure we're in the same country at the same time for the interview let alone a second interview!

Thanks

The interview you're thinking of is the Adjustment of Status interview based on marriage. These happen at USCIS offices in the United States when one person in the couple is on a non-immigrant visa and their US citizen spouse is petitioning to sponsor them for permanent residence. They are both required to attend the interview to prove that their marriage is bona fide. Sometimes they are split up when their marriage looks suspicious. They are asked the exact same questions (what did you have for dinner last night, where does your spouse work, how many bathrooms does your house have, etc) then the interviewing officer compares their answers. The separate interviews are called "Stokes interviews" after a court case its named after.

These interviews are when one half of the couple is a US citizen and they are sponsoring their overseas spouse. Getting permanent residency for the overseas spouse depends entirely on the legitimacy of their marriage. These cases are subject to scrutiny because people abuse the system to get green cards for their friends, acquaintances, or whoever's willing to pay them.

If you've won the green card lottery, I wouldn't expect your relationship will be 'under the microscope' as much as the cases mentioned above, but someone may correct me here, as I'm not entirely sure. To satisfy the consular officer though, I'd think about bringing along joint documents (bank accounts, credit cards, etc), photos together, just to show your marriage is real. But again, I wouldn't expect the high level of scrutiny as marriage-based AOS cases, and I wouldn't expect either of you to be separated. Your case is not based on marriage, but on winning the DV lottery and satisfying those requirements.

Neither of you will need to go to an Adjustment of Status interview in the US if your green card interview is at the consulate. AOS is only for people who want to change their status in the US. You don't need to change status, because you'll already be entering as permanent residents.

Please don't take the above as legal advice, and anyone else here, please post any corrections to any of the information posted above.

The interview you're thinking of is the Adjustment of Status interview based on marriage. These happen at USCIS offices in the United States when one person in the couple is on a non-immigrant visa and their US citizen spouse is petitioning to sponsor them for permanent residence. They are both required to attend the interview to prove that their marriage is bona fide. Sometimes they are split up when their marriage looks suspicious. They are asked the exact same questions (what did you have for dinner last night, where does your spouse work, how many bathrooms does your house have, etc) then the interviewing officer compares their answers. The separate interviews are called "Stokes interviews" after a court case its named after.

These interviews are when one half of the couple is a US citizen and they are sponsoring their overseas spouse. Getting permanent residency for the overseas spouse depends entirely on the legitimacy of their marriage. These cases are subject to scrutiny because people abuse the system to get green cards for their friends, acquaintances, or whoever's willing to pay them.

If you've won the green card lottery, I wouldn't expect your relationship will be 'under the microscope' as much as the cases mentioned above, but someone may correct me here, as I'm not entirely sure. To satisfy the consular officer though, I'd think about bringing along joint documents (bank accounts, credit cards, etc), photos together, just to show your marriage is real. But again, I wouldn't expect the high level of scrutiny as marriage-based AOS cases, and I wouldn't expect either of you to be separated. Your case is not based on marriage, but on winning the DV lottery and satisfying those requirements.

Neither of you will need to go to an Adjustment of Status interview in the US if your green card interview is at the consulate. AOS is only for people who want to change their status in the US. You don't need to change status, because you'll already be entering as permanent residents.

Please don't take the above as legal advice, and anyone else here, please post any corrections to any of the information posted above.

James I think you are mostly correct about the level of scrutiny for the various methods of obtaining. However I think it would be a mistake to take the impression that a marriage for the DV process doesn't come under any scrutiny at all. In a case described by the OP the big red flag is marriage after selection. That will get extra srutiny - and so the proof the OP has (and you listed) is absolutely needed. However, they may be less aggressive about Stokes interviews etc.

I don't think the average consulate / embassy is set up for a proper Stokes interview, as they need two separate rooms to make sure each spouse can't hear the other's answers to the questions. At a consulate the officer only has a short time to interview you, and has to make the decision in several minutes. This tends to promote hasty decisions on their part, and that's not good. It is very important that you can fully convince the CO of the validity of your marriage in as short a time as possible.

IMHO the CIS intrusive and lengthy Stokes interview is better because it gives you hours to prove your case.

I don't think the average consulate / embassy is set up for a proper Stokes interview, as they need two separate rooms to make sure each spouse can't hear the other's answers to the questions. At a consulate the officer only has a short time to interview you, and has to make the decision in several minutes. This tends to promote hasty decisions on their part, and that's not good. It is very important that you can fully convince the CO of the validity of your marriage in as short a time as possible.

IMHO the CIS intrusive and lengthy Stokes interview is better because it gives you hours to prove your case.

Excellent points.

My CN is 29xx... I am quite doubtful that I'll get an interview at this point as the cutoffs seem pretty similar to recent years... What are everyone's opinions on these high case numbers? Do you think there's much of a chance my number will come up?

Hi everyone,

SUCCESS!!!! My application got approved, I'm stoked!! I'm actually sitting in Sydney airport waiting for a flight back to Brisbane as I had my interview this morning! And as promised here is a run down of my experience.

When I was initially selected in early May I had a case number in the low 200's. The first visa bulletin for the DV2014 lotto was released round mid August and my number was below the cut off. On 22 August I received an email notifying me I had an interview scheduled on 8 October at 830 in Sydney. After I found this out I rang the panel physician in Brisbane to arrange an appointment. The receptionist scheduled an appointment on 23 September as the visa is only valid for 6 months after the appointment and this would give me more time to enter the US. I also arranged a name only police certificate to be sent to the consulate cause that's the process required for people in Queensland. I received the results to my medical on 27 September. You get back x-rays which are not required at the interview and a sealed envelope that only the consular people can open. Then on Friday October 4 I received another email with a checklist of documents to bring. I had to get another set of US size photos done because you can't use the same ones you used on your initial application and they can't be more than 6 months old. The checklist also said to bring expired passports so I had to dig around the house to find mine, but I found out at the interview that they are only necessary if you have a current US visa in one of them.

Then I flew down to Sydney on 7 October - for all the Queenslanders remember that NSW is on daylight savings so you won't be able to fly down the same day if you have a morning appointment. I checked into a backpackers on Pitt Street and went and checked out the international fleet review and then went to bed early. The next morning was the day of my scheduled appointment. I was meant to have my appointment at 830 but I got there at 750 and the door was already open so I went through the metal detector, left my phone with security, and waited to be called upstairs. After about five minutes I was called upstairs, went through another security checkpoint and then pulled a ticket and preceded to wait. After about 40 minutes my number was called, I submitted my documents and was asked to go pay the processing fee. Unfortunately, the eftpos machine was broken so everyone had to pay cash, which of course I didn't have so I had to run downstairs get cash out and go through security again, argh! If I could give any advice it would be to just bring cash with you, it costs $364. After I paid the fee I had to give the receipt to the lady who I had submitted my documents to originally and I was asked to wait again. After about another 40 minutes I was called over for my official interview. The first thing I had to do was swear on oath that I hadn't committed any crimes. Then I was asked why I wanted to move to the US? What my highest level of education was? How much cash I had? And if I had lived for more than 12 months in a country other than Australia? The lady the gave me a small piece of paper saying my application had been approved and it'd be sent in the next few days.

The whole interview process took me about 2.5 hours but everyone at the consulate was really friendly and helpful. It's a very gruelling process but definitely worth it in the end. I'm looking at heading to Virginia next February. I can't wait!!

Good luck to everyone and if you need to know anything I'll try to help out!

Incredible and wonderful news!!! Congratulations James!!! Thank you so much for the info of how it all went, and interesting that you were asked how much cash you have, I think that is the first time I have read that from Sydney.

I suspect you are on an amazing roller coaster right now! Remember, breath in, breath out, and congratulations again!!!!

Warmest of wishes

Q

Holy hell, congratulations mate. That's awesome.

I was on the edge of my seat reading that even though you already told us what the outcome was. It makes me this big ball of wired/excited/nervous energy and I've still got five weeks to go.

Awesome I am so excited for you !!!! Well done and thank you for sharing your story with us. Did you see any other DV selectees there as well. Do you think at any point you thought that you might not get it? Do you think the shut down has had an effect on the process. How long will your passport take to get released.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to update everyone, I had my interview yesterday in Sydney, and I was approved!

I should be getting my VISA in the mail in the next week or so. My experience was almost identical to NJames's. I was in and out of the the place in an hour and a half. Super easy process. I had so much extra documentation (bank statements, university transcripts) that the lady didn't even take a look at, but I'm happy I had all my bases covered.

I only had one issue, and that was that I needed to update the paperwork with a United States address that they could mail my Green Card to. I didn't know the address off the top of my head, so they said I could email it to them later on. I emailed them about an hour after my interview, and they confirmed that they received it almost immediately.

For anyone with an interview coming up, make sure you bring the $363 in cash as well as on card. I saw about 3 or 4 people have to run downstairs to withdraw money, and it's really not worth the extra hassle.

At the end of the interview I received a piece of paper that said my Visa Application was denied, which was terrifying. But it was just denied until I supplied them with the United States address they had asked for, and the lady who interviewed me made that clear.

Just a heads-up to anyone applying between the ages of 18 and 25, you'll need to sign up for the U.S. Selective Service System, which is basically the military draft. They haven't had one since Vietnam, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yesterday was one of the most stressful and hopeful days of my life, and I still can't believe it's over.

Wishing the rest of you good luck. Please update us on this thread when you've had your interviews.

Another congratulations!!!! Fantastic news :) Wonderful to see the Aussie success stories starting to come through now.

Hopefully we will hear little snippets from you all as you begin your adventures over there. :)

Warm wishes

Q

Thanks everyone for the congratulations! It still hasn't sunk in fully yet.

Congrats CamelSlayer on your application!! I might have run into you yesterday at the interview, I was one of those people that had to run downstairs to get money out haha.

Hey Mijoro, there were a few other people there that had also been a DV selectee. Ever since May 1st I didn't think I was gonna get it, it seemed too good to be true haha. I don't think the shutdown had any effect on the process. Apparently it is self funded so it doesn't get effected by the shut down. They also said that my passport should be returned within 5 days so hopefully I should get it by the end of this week or early next week. Good luck with your application!L