• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Australian winners

Well, that's it.

All the waiting & preparation & money & stressing & worrying & panicking & lack of sleep .... we're in! :D We had a successful interview here in Montreal. Woo hoo!!

As soon as he said Congratulations, both hubby and I smiled real wide and said a little "yay!" but our predominant emotion was relief. It's been such a long process that it's a big relief to finally have it over with. Now we can move on with our plans and just get going. We had moved to Canada just last year, from Oz, and only a week later found we'd been selected in DV2013. So we've been in a bit of a holding-pattern for the past 10 months, not really settling down or making long-term plans. I hated that unsettled feeling.

I've been awake since 3:45am, as I couldn't sleep. I kept wondering what they would find wrong. But as Peta so aptly put, the interview process seemed more like just a formality. I suppose I was expecting to be really grilled, perhaps with some trick questions or something.

The first person who called us up, at around 10:40am, after paying at the cashier, was a lady who just went through and made sure all the paperwork and photos were there. She gave me a bit of a scare because she asked for hubby's education proof but I showed her their letter stating very specifically that only mine were to be brought to the interview. She had to go ask somebody and luckily came back saying I was right. Phew! That was the one thing I hadn't brought for some strange reason, despite bringing everything but the kitchen sink with me! Don't know why.

Then we had to sit back down for about 20 minutes. We got called up again, to another window where a man did the interview and it was mostly him looking through the documents again and typing on his PC. He asked us where would we be going in the US, what we would do there, and since hubby early-retired if he has any income, which we told him about (we didn't have to show proof). And that was it. A bit more typing on the PC, making us sweat some more, and then the Congratulations!

I'm pretty exhausted now but I can't nap. Bit too early for that celebratory big Aussie red unfortunately, so I think I'll just sit here and email everyone I know that we were successful and that they won't have to listen to me whinging about it anymore ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay!!! Congratulations Vichel!!! I totally get the lack of sleep and relief that comes as soon as they say congrats and pack your bags!!!

Well done! I cant believe you didnt take hubbys education and they asked for it! too funny, i can only imagine you having a mini heart attack on the spot!

Never to early for the big glass! Hubby and i went straight for a champagne brekkie when we were done!

Where in the states are you off to now?

Doing a big happy dance for you!

Well, that's it.

All the waiting & preparation & money & stressing & worrying & panicking & lack of sleep .... we're in! :D We had a successful interview here in Montreal. Woo hoo!!

As soon as he said Congratulations, both hubby and I smiled real wide and said a little "yay!" but our predominant emotion was relief. It's been such a long process that it's a big relief to finally have it over with. Now we can move on with our plans and just get going. We had moved to Canada just last year, from Oz, and only a week later found we'd been selected in DV2013. So we've been in a bit of a holding-pattern for the past 10 months, not really settling down or making long-term plans. I hated that unsettled feeling.

I've been awake since 3:45am, as I couldn't sleep. I kept wondering what they would find wrong. But as Peta so aptly put, the interview process seemed more like just a formality. I suppose I was expecting to be really grilled, perhaps with some trick questions or something.

The first person who called us up, at around 10:40am, after paying at the cashier, was a lady who just went through and made sure all the paperwork and photos were there. She gave me a bit of a scare because she asked for hubby's education proof but I showed her their letter stating very specifically that only mine were to be brought to the interview. She had to go ask somebody and luckily came back saying I was right. Phew! That was the one thing I hadn't brought for some strange reason, despite bringing everything but the kitchen sink with me! Don't know why.

Then we had to sit back down for about 20 minutes. We got called up again, to another window where a man did the interview and it was mostly him looking through the documents again and typing on his PC. He asked us where would we be going in the US, what we would do there, and since hubby early-retired if he has any income, which we told him about (we didn't have to show proof). And that was it. A bit more typing on the PC, making us sweat some more, and then the Congratulations!

I'm pretty exhausted now but I can't nap. Bit too early for that celebratory big Aussie red unfortunately, so I think I'll just sit here and email everyone I know that we were successful and that they won't have to listen to me whinging about it anymore ;)

Wow.Conratulations! From Australia to Canada to USA.Big 3. Why didn't u remain in Canada, huh it was like asking why u left Australia. Was ur move to Canada under a PR?

Well, that's it.

Congrats! Maybe this will encourage me to stress less now as well! Seemed so simple!

Vichel this is the best news!! So excited for you. Congratulations :D :D Now you can plan 'for real' and start the process of moving over and finally settling in your "new" home. Thank you especially for sharing your journey with us all along the way. Please let us know a little bit down the track how it all pans out.

Very warm wishes

Q

Thanks Mushy, Peta, Ferdii, JessJames, Qewty! I've had that Aussie red and am feeling more relaxed. I'll be going to bed early tonight because I'm still exhausted. I think it was from the intense emotions this morning.

Yeah, JessJames, don't stress it but I know you will anyway! :D I did, even though others here told us it wasn't as big a drama as we make it out to be, you just end up worrying anyway. Afterall, it's something we all really want, many of us have tried for years, and once selected we've all spent months getting to our interview date and doing so much prep work along the way. It builds up.

Ferdii, my husband is Canadian, and he missed Canada, so we moved back last year (I had lived in Canada earlier too, but I was born and raised in Oz). I am a Canadian PR, hubby is a citizen. But now that this opportunity to live in the US has presented itself, of course we will take it. We have been applying in the DV lottery since the first online draw of 2005!

At this point, we are headed to Florida. We have a house there. We will see how it goes. We can always rent the house out and try someplace else. We had always wanted to live in California but after spending 5 months there earlier, we found it to be too expensive and not just housing. Too many high taxes on everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this was mentioned on here somewhere once before... but has anyone used honolulu as a port of entry?

With a connecting flight to someone else mainland?

So much cheaper than 1 way to LA from Sydney!

Thanks Mushy, Peta, Ferdii, JessJames, Qewty! I've had that Aussie red and am feeling more relaxed. I'll be going to bed early tonight because I'm still exhausted. I think it was from the intense emotions this morning.

Yeah, JessJames, don't stress it but I know you will anyway! :D I did, even though others here told us it wasn't as big a drama as we make it out to be, you just end up worrying anyway. Afterall, it's something we all really want, many of us have tried for years, and once selected we've all spent months getting to our interview date and doing so much prep work along the way. It builds up.

Ferdii, my husband is Canadian, and he missed Canada, so we moved back last year (I had lived in Canada earlier too, but I was born and raised in Oz). I am a Canadian PR, hubby is a citizen. But now that this opportunity to live in the US has presented itself, of course we will take it. We have been applying in the DV lottery since the first online draw of 2005!

At this point, we are headed to Florida. We have a house there. We will see how it goes. We can always rent the house out and try someplace else. We had always wanted to live in California but after spending 5 months there earlier, we found it to be too expensive and not just housing. Too many high taxes on everything.

Good to know...you guys are global citizens! All the best as you move again.

I wondered why you moved to Canada Vichel :) My hubby is Canadian too, but he won't move back - waaaay too cold lol. He has lived a long time in California (before I brought him home to Aus 3 yrs ago) and so he is spoilt for weather. California is definately our choice :)

Again, big virtual hugs and congratulations, how incredibly wonderful.

Q

I wondered why you moved to Canada Vichel :) My hubby is Canadian too, but he won't move back - waaaay too cold lol. He has lived a long time in California (before I brought him home to Aus 3 yrs ago) and so he is spoilt for weather. California is definately our choice :)

Again, big virtual hugs and congratulations, how incredibly wonderful.

Q

Yeah, I know about the cold! It was a bit of a compromise. Give up the sunshine and warmth for the better location for travel for us. Perth's a bit too isolated and we really noticed it whenever we traveled - we got tired of those torturously long flights.

Yeah, I know about the cold! It was a bit of a compromise. Give up the sunshine and warmth for the better location for travel for us. Perth's a bit too isolated and we really noticed it whenever we traveled - we got tired of those torturously long flights.

I smiled as I read this - we moved to Perth 3 months ago!! lol

Q

Just booked my medical... it's in 8 days! Now I stress!

I also think I might have allergy asthma, or whatever it's called.. And also pretty bad eczema right now on my legs... (I unknowingly was living in very bad mold for awhile. Spent an entire month really sick with extreme allergies & breathing problems... thought it was just normal allergies heightened, turns out it was mold.. yippee..) I'm going to see my regular doctor the day before I have my medical (can't get in any earlier). If I have to do tests or anything to figure out those things, what am I supposed to say at the medical? Just hoping the allergies I've gotten from the mold recently don't impact anything on my medical...?! *stressing*

Is it better I just not mention anything?

Then what if tests AFTER the medical say I am asthmatic or something...?! Ahhh...

Don't stress. Asthma is nothing to worry about as it is easily and cheaply treatable.

I don't think the allergies will be an issue.

They have a list of questions. Just answer them and don't give up anything else that is not relevant.

They are looking for major health issues that would require expensive treatment and and communicable diseases such as Syphilis or TB.

I had inactive TB and I still got my visa.

Mental issues such as history of violence and drug dependancy are some other issues that I have heard making things less smooth.

Where is your medical?

Don't stress. Asthma is nothing to worry about as it is easily and cheaply treatable.

I don't think the allergies will be an issue.

They have a list of questions. Just answer them and don't give up anything else that is not relevant.

They are looking for major health issues that would require expensive treatment and and communicable diseases such as Syphilis or TB.

I had inactive TB and I still got my visa.

Mental issues such as history of violence and drug dependancy are some other issues that I have heard making things less smooth.

Where is your medical?

So if they ask about asthma, say no? Cause at this point, I still don't know for certain.

Doing mine in Brisbane. Not sure which doctor though yet. There's 3 at the place.

Well, if you don't have a long history of asthma and are currently not taking medication, you can answer no.

Don't give away more than is needed, but answer honestly.

Just a quick question, does anyone have any information regarding applying for a drivers licence once in the States? Do you have to take a driving or theory exam, or is it easier than that if you hold a full Australian licence (not provisional licence)?

I've been googling, but not having much success getting an answer.

I agree with the others, dont give any more info than you need to.

Cant you get into any other doctor up there sooner to be on the safe side. They might be able to give you a cream or antibiotic that will clear it up within the week anyway...

Can anyone who has been through everything and got your ok, tell me how long it took before you got your passports and paperwork back?

They said 5 working days - Today is day 6 for me so just wondering how long to wait before i start to email them!