• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Australian winners

Thanks Bella! Keeping my fingers crossed too!
Ooh good luck!! So excited for you!

Peta, livescan, did cost $175 and I'm not sure what they selected. I'm from a rural country town so they were totally confused by the whole process, I had to explain why I wanted to be voluntarily fingerprinted! I will take it back in but I don't think they'll know either :/ Will ring the number first I think! Ahhhh! Disadvantage of a small town, this is so rare for them and seems to have slowed it all down!

Could you ring the number from HQ on the letter 1st and have them ring and explain to your local station what needs to happen? I wonder if you explain they dont understand they might be able to call or email them a process for you?

Good Luck!

Vichel - How goes the planning? Are you getting excited?

I got our passports back this morning! Now its so real!! We are planning on leaving in 6 weeks so its pretty hectic here!

We will be traveling around the states 1st (delayed honeymoon) then settling down in Manhattan :)

Cant wait! Maybe we can catch up over there :)

If anyone is interested and has time on their hands (which I am sure you new winners have very little of lol) there is a great blog by a previous Aussie winner Janelle who one the lottery a few years ago after apply 5 times (I think). She put a wonderful blog together about her DV journey here

http://dv2008.jenelle.net/DV_2008_B..._Jenelle_Blevins/DV2008_Blog/DV2008_Blog.html

And also has a blog about her life in general now that she is living in New York (she even found a husband over there, go figure).

(I just edited this as maybe I shouldn't post her personal blog here so I have removed it)

I love to read her blog, love to read how a Melbourne girl is now doing over there as she heads towards becoming a citizen and all. Looking at her photographs and seeing her life over there is really wonderful.

I do hope she doesn't mind me sharing that as I don't know her, but discovered her blog when I was searching for DV information a long time back.

Warm wishes, not too long now for those of us waiting oh so patiently! lol To all the fabulous Aussie winners making their plans, I wish you so much happiness and a smooth passage over!!

Q

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my medical today!

It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, although not going to lie, I still really hated it. Just wasn't comfortable with the whole full physical check thing and having to get almost entirely naked!

I guess all the doctors are different, as the one I had wasn't one for "taking your word" on having had certain immunizations! I couldn't get my records, so I went with nothing. The receptionist lady told me I would have to have them all then because I had no proof... When I got in with the doctor he also wasn't pleased I had no records. I told him I went to Thailand in 2008 and got whatever was needed for that, he wanted to know specific dates though. My mum rang right before I went in and told me where I got my things done for Thailand but it was too late then. But the doctor rang the place to get what ones I had there with them for Thailand... They said month & year, but he was like "I need dates" so it had to be real specific... Luckily, I ended up only having to get an MMR one, cause I had no proof for that.

Oh, also, for anyone else whos had theirs at the Brisbane one - It's incredibly awkward for the urine sample thing... There's no bathrooms in the medical place. You have to go up 3 escalators INTO the Sofitel hotel lobby! I was in shorts and a hoodie and my shoes that are falling apart.. It was incredibly fancy in there, and there I was walking in with a small brown paper bag with a piss cup in it. So, I didn't enjoy that part either.

The X-ray and blood test part were simple and easy, and in a different part. I didn't have to take my results from that back to the doctor though? So I guess I don't really know if I have any problems or anything come up? I thought the doctor would have looked at the X-rays or something with me, but nope! So I'm clueless right now as to how it all went, but I assume fine...? :S

Also - for those who have had their interview! Do you get to keep your medical results/envelope thing AFTER the interview? Or does the Sydney embassy keep your results??

Vichel - How goes the planning? Are you getting excited?

I got our passports back this morning! Now its so real!! We are planning on leaving in 6 weeks so its pretty hectic here!

We will be traveling around the states 1st (delayed honeymoon) then settling down in Manhattan :)

Cant wait! Maybe we can catch up over there :)

Hey Peta, glad to hear you got your passports finally. We were in Montreal still when we got an email from the courier company saying our passports were ready for pickup way over on the other side of the country. So only after we flew back and had the passports in our hot little hands, did this whole process feel like it was all tied up with a pretty little bow. I've looked at that nice Immigrant Visa in my passport at least a dozen times since then :D I had a B1/B2 visa in there from before which has a big ugly black stamp "Cancelled Without Prejudice" on it. You'd think they'd be a bit more subtle :p

We've decided on mid-May, so 8 weeks for us. We're busy getting quotes from movers, and ads onto Craigslist to sell some of our stuff. I can understand how hectic it is for you - have been there myself a few times, and am knee-deep in it again!! It's still stressful, no matter how many times you move. So many little details to think of and take care of.

Your trip through the US sounds wonderful. That's how we fell in love with the country - by taking trips through it. Roadtrips are our favourite, especially on the back roads and small, scenic byways. It's a fabulous country for that sort of holiday. There are great, affordable amenities everywhere and you don't have to drive far to see something amazing, and the journey there can be just as amazing.

Yes, we should meet up in Manhattan because we'll definitely go back there one day soon. We weren't expecting to be so thrilled by the city the way we were in 2007.

All the best, and keep us apprised of your progress. I'll try to do the same.

Qewty, thanks for the link to Jenelle's DV blog. It was an interesting read. I had to giggle at her self-inflicted nightmarish experience validating her GC at LAX with such a tight time-frame between flights. And all those bags! lol! Poor thing. A good lesson for all of us in that. Give yourself lots of time. We'll be doing ours at the border, driving across. We're hoping it won't be an ordeal.

JessJames: sorry but I also had a giggle at your experience getting your wee sample through the posh Sofitel while looking like a total dag ... lol! But I'm glad it all eventually turned out well, congrats on that step! Keep us up to date.

Qewty - thanks for sharing that blog! Its amazing but i swear her experience so far has been the exact same as mine... except for instead of doing a masters, i planned and had my wedding! Im sure she wont mind you sharing it, thats what blogs are for :)

Haha - Jess - That is definitely something i have not seen any warnings about but a great tip for the others! Got my fingers crossed for you :) Sydney interview - I believe the medical results end up in the envelope that you cannot open... The doc gave me a copy of mine and i also have my xrays which he said to keep on me on the plane as well.

Vichel - So exciting - I think you will end up there about the same time as us, we are going POE to Honolulu - Spending 4 nights there and then heading to Seattle and down the west coast, across the south and then up to NYC...

Just a quick question on your visa does it say on the bottom that it serves as a temp perm residence for 1 year? I assume that changes to unlimited after the actual green card is issued? Do you know what happens there?

Thanks for the dual citizenship info - I actually thought it wasn't allowed, and wasn't going to bother looking into it further (or not at the moment anyway!).

Jessjames, sounds like an awkward medical! Man I must have gotten lucky - didn't have to undress or anything (except into a robe for the xray). And ahh, definitely awkward going into the Sofitel for that! Bet the staff must be used to it by now.

Petamiss, does that mean you're headed over at the start of May? My goal date is the 1st May, give or take a few days. Hoping flights won't be too expensive, as I'll be planning on booking as soon as I'm holding my visa - so hopefully by the end of next week, with any luck!

Two more questions from me, if anyone can help. First, about fees - not including the police check and medical fees, is the only other fee I have to pay the $330 one? And is that paid at the embassy? I don't need to pay any other fees beforehand, like at the Post office?

And second question was that I recieved a copy of my medical results in the mail - should I bring that along to the interview, or will they already have it?

Oh, and out of curiosity - is anyone planning on getting US citizenship? Or not right away? Or are you happy to just be an American resident?

Vichel - So exciting - I think you will end up there about the same time as us, we are going POE to Honolulu - Spending 4 nights there and then heading to Seattle and down the west coast, across the south and then up to NYC...

Sounds like a great plan, and a similar route to what we'll do. Instead of going diagonally across the country from the NW to the SE, we'll drive south to San Diego first. We've got good friends there so we'll take a break for a few days. Then we'll drive east and catch the 10 freeway along the southern states. I've always wanted to see San Antonio and that whole Gulf area near New Orleans. Looking forward to it.

Just a quick question on your visa does it say on the bottom that it serves as a temp perm residence for 1 year? I assume that changes to unlimited after the actual green card is issued? Do you know what happens there?

Yes, mine says that upon endorsement it's valid for a year. Hopefully we'll have our official Green Cards way before that year is up though so I'm not sure why they give you a whole year. Maybe it's for those people who need to return to their home country right after validating the visa. People who need to tie up loose ends and sort things out before permanently moving to the US, and they give you a year ? The official Green Card is valid for 10 years, I believe. If you take out citizenship before then though, then time isn't an issue.

The other date on our visa is when we have to validate/endorse our GC visa before: 21 July 2013. I thought they gave you 6 months but that's just over 4 months since our interview. Is that the same for you?

First, about fees - not including the police check and medical fees, is the only other fee I have to pay the $330 one? And is that paid at the embassy? I don't need to pay any other fees beforehand, like at the Post office?

Yes, the $330 is paid at the Embassy during your interview. There is another fee though, after you're successful. It's the "USCIS Immigrant Fee" of $165 - a new fee they brought in as of 1 Feb 2013 ... bugger! You have to pay that sometime after your successful interview and before you go the US to endorse your GC for the first time. You pay online at their USCIS website with a credit card and keep the receipt to show them. The instructions for all that are in the package they give you when you get your passport. There's a super secret sealed envelope with a big "Do Not Open" on it, containing who knows what, to be opened by the officer at your POE.

Oh, and out of curiosity - is anyone planning on getting US citizenship? Or not right away? Or are you happy to just be an American resident?

I dunno. Been thinking about that. Not sure. Will have to see how I feel after 5 years.

JessJames: sorry but I also had a giggle at your experience getting your wee sample through the posh Sofitel while looking like a total dag ... lol! But I'm glad it all eventually turned out well, congrats on that step! Keep us up to date.

I had a laugh about it afterwards too... My mum has her medical tomorrow there so I told her about it and she's like "You're kidding? Do they give you a bag at least?" Hahaha, now she'll have to suffer, except she won't look as much of a dag as I did!

Haha - Jess - That is definitely something i have not seen any warnings about but a great tip for the others! Got my fingers crossed for you :) Sydney interview - I believe the medical results end up in the envelope that you cannot open... The doc gave me a copy of mine and i also have my xrays which he said to keep on me on the plane as well.

And the embassy keeps the envelope afterwards too then? I was told I'd only get a copy of my vaccination records, and x-rays to take on the plane. But the actual results I won't. I'm just confused cause I'm going to be going to a uni once I get there & they make everyone do a test for TB once you arrive on campus? And you have to pay for the test yourself... So I'm hoping I'll be able to show them my medical results or something and say I'm fine and not have to pay and do another one..

Jessjames, sounds like an awkward medical! Man I must have gotten lucky - didn't have to undress or anything (except into a robe for the xray). And ahh, definitely awkward going into the Sofitel for that! Bet the staff must be used to it by now.

Well I was totally thinking I wouldn't have to undress either after hearing everyone elses stories! I got the robe for the x-ray but for the actual medical/doctor part he legit just said "now I need you to take off your clothes, keeping your bra & underwear on, and lay on the table." :\ Even socks had to come off! It was horrible. I was wondering if the staff even realize what the people are doing just walking in to use their bathrooms, maybe they have no idea its for the doctors! Hahaha

Yes, the $330 is paid at the Embassy during your interview. There is another fee though, after you're successful. It's the "USCIS Immigrant Fee" of $165 - a new fee they brought in as of 1 Feb 2013 ... bugger! You have to pay that sometime after your successful interview and before you go the US to endorse your GC for the first time. You pay online at their USCIS website with a credit card and keep the receipt to show them. The instructions for all that are in the package they give you when you get your passport. There's a super secret sealed envelope with a big "Do Not Open" on it, containing who knows what, to be opened by the officer at your POE.

Thanks for that! I felt like there was supposed to be another fee other than the one you pay at the embassy, but couldn't remember where I read it. Then again, the past three years, I have travelled to the US on a J1 visa, and had to do that too, so thought maybe I was mixing it up.

I had my fiancee come visit me for two weeks in Jan/Feb, and she brought with her a can of Arizona Sweet Iced Tea - my favourite US beverage that I can't find over here. I haven't drunk it yet, it's currently in the fridge and it's going to be my celebration drink when I'm holding my completed visa! (knock on wood)

Argh, already have another question! So far, google has been no help.

How do you become a resident of a state? I'm still looking into getting my license done, and apparently one of the documents you need to bring with you is proof of residency for that state. Anyone have any suggestions of where to look for info about becoming a resident of a state (I'm looking into MA).