• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Australian winners

I am off to Los Angeles too.

I have found it to be much cheaper than where I live now in Melbourne. In fact, Sydney and Melbourne are in the top 5 most expensive cities in the world. LA doesn't make the top ten.

Yay, LA! What are you hoping to do there? :)

Wow that's interesting!

I'm actually getting my green card from family based visas, but no where is more helpful and informative than this forum so I'm still sneaking in... I had been relying on the DV lottery but I got lucky when my mum & step-dad (US citizen) decided they were going to move back there! Just in time! We only JUST got to apply before I turned 21, almost fell into a different category with an 11 year wait! So I've got a much faster process for my GC, haven't had the interview yet but I know it'l be soon.. But no, no flights yet, I can't enter the US until my step-dad 'reclaims' his residency so I have to go over when they do.. it should be June but they're trying to sell their house here so it could be earlier, or later... who knows yet!

Ohhh ok, yeah this forum is such a good source of information, smart to utilize it :)
Wow that's lucky you applied before you were 21, worked out well! Wow, not far away, very exciting!!

Also, random question.. For my medical, I know I need to take along my vaccination records and medical history, right? I asked my local GP for a copy of this, and just realised they have only given me a list of vaccinations I've had..
I'm flying out on Tuesday so I still have Monday to get it off my doctor, so I'll try get it then, but what'll happen if I'm not able to get it? Has anyone had similar problems if they've had multiple doctors over the years etc? :/

Last edited by a moderator:
I work in the technical side of the film/TV/Media industry, so LA is really the place to be for that.

I have a few good work contacts already.

LA is not my favorite city, but I am sure I will find the beauty in it.

I work in the technical side of the film/TV/Media industry, so LA is really the place to be for that.

I have a few good work contacts already.

LA is not my favorite city, but I am sure I will find the beauty in it.

Once I finish my uni degree I'll be off to LA as well for film/TV stuff. Not sure exactly what yet, but I know it's something I want to be a part of. Yeah, same thoughts on LA. Not the greatest place in the world, but that's where the film industry is, gotta follow the work!

I'm also studying dog training .... I think I'd really enjoy training dogs/animals for movies & TV. That'd be fun.

Also, random question.. For my medical, I know I need to take along my vaccination records and medical history, right? I asked my local GP for a copy of this, and just realised they have only given me a list of vaccinations I've had..
I'm flying out on Tuesday so I still have Monday to get it off my doctor, so I'll try get it then, but what'll happen if I'm not able to get it? Has anyone had similar problems if they've had multiple doctors over the years etc? :/

I'm in this boat too! I've had so many doctors, just where ever my parents used to take me.. So I don't have just 'one doctor' who would have all my records. Not sure how to find out everything :(

You don't need to bring along a medical history to your medical check, they only want the immunisations. They will ask you questions about your pertinant past medical history - like any illnesses you've had, if you've ever been in the hospital, etc.. I had specifically asked over the phone when I made my appointment, and they said no, just the immunisations.

This is what I was asked to bring with me:

Current (valid) passport (preferred) or other photo ID
3 passport size photos (only 1 photo for children under age 15)
Spectacles/reading glasses/contact lenses if used

Immunisation Records as per US Consulate website for specific age groups
Mainly
DTP (Diphtheria Tetanus Pertussis)
MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) if born in 1957 or later (blood tests to check for immunity if no records available)
Chicken Pox (Varicella) (Blood tests to check for immunity if no records available
Flu Vaccine (for Medicals during 01 Apr to 30 Sept only)
If you are unable to show proof, or the test results are negative for immunity, you
may need to be vaccinated during the Visa Medical Examination visit and extra
costs will be incurred.
Child’s Immunisation Health Record (‘Blue Book’ in NSW) for children.
Children under 18 years may require more vaccinations than specified in the Childs Immunisation Health Records
Adults over 65 years require Pneumonia vaccine (free of charge) unless documented proof of vaccination available

Medical Fees $385 (as of 18 Oct 2012 subject to change) This includes X-ray and pathology fees but vaccine costs not included
A4 size Express Post Envelope (please purchase at any Australia Post)

This medical examination takes approx 2 to 3 hours per person
You do not need to fast on the examination day

Helpful tip with the photos - I actually would recommend getting a set of 4 US sized passport photos taken, I think that costs around $20-25. Then use three for the medical check, and the last one for your embassy interview. I didn't think of this til after, so I spent $15 on Australian passport photos for the med check, and still have to pay $20 to get a US sized passport photo - could have saved myself $15!

So is anyone else flying to the US to activate the US for a short and then returning to Australia since the SSN takes a number of weeks to be received?

Planning on going in June to activate my Visa and then returning so I can keep working and saving money and just hoping my SSN is activated successfully after a few weeks to start applying for jobs!!

Riise, I'm flying over for four months, then planning on returning to Australia for around eight months, with a three week visit in the middle.

Fortunately though I already have my SSN, as I've worked seasonally in the states at summer camp for the past few years.

I just hope they don't need to see my social security card at my embassy interview, as I've left it in the states for safe keeping while I'm in Australia.

Hi Aussies :)

Success!!! Thank goodness! Had my interview in Sydney yesterday and all went well, should have docs back in the mail within the week. Yay!!!

Interview was scheduled for 8am, we turned up at 7 just to make sure we missed Sydney rush hour traffic. Lifts don't start going up until 7-30 so just waited around downstairs.

At 7-30 we went up to level 10, through security, you take your wallet and paperwork but leave bags, phones etc with them. The guards then pop you in the lifts to level 56 (i think).

You hop out show your passport to security, go through the doors, take a ticket (just like at the RTA) and wait for your number.

We went to the window when called up, he took our passports 1st, thank goodness i had my old maiden name one because everything was still in that. But no problems that i had been married since the 1st notification because i had informed them all the way.

He then took all our paperwork and told us to sit down. I think he was new because he took longer than other staff and asked for help a few times but was super nice and really thorough. (just didnt help with my crazy nerves sitting there!) He called us back up, sent us to the cashier to pay and then took our fingerprints and asked us when did we intend to leave for the states. He gave us back our originals docs and any copies he didnt need to keep.

Then we sat back down to wait for the interview. This is also another window where they ask you all the questions. They do this through the window with microphones so yes the whole place can hear the questions you are being asked so leave any issues with personal space / privacy etc at the door!

She was also super nice! They ask general questions 1st and then will ask some specific to your situation.

General
- Have you been to the US before?
- How many times?
- Have you ever stayed longer than 90 days?
- Have you ever lived overseas?
- Have you ever been arrested or in trouble with the law?
- What is your highest level of education?

Specific
- Who is this man with you?
- How do you know each other?
- Why do you want to live in the states?
- Where do you intend to live?
- Do you have any friends or family there?
- Where did you go to school?
- What do you do for a living? Asked to both of us.

Then she asked for a couple of minutes to go through some stuff.

Called us back and said congratulations, pack your bags!!! You get a piece of paper that says congrats with your name on it and that you will get your paperwork in the mail. We are to also expect an email with the immigration details and process on it as well in the next few days.

Such a massive stress off my mind now! Poor hubby was dealing with me the last few days being a stress head!!

Vichel - Hubby didnt even have to step on me for rambling!! haha!

Do read the details on how you are supposed to have your paperwork organised because they do make people sit and sort it out if not how they want it done.

Loads of people were missing something such as a medical or police check but they seemed to still go through the rest of the process and just pop them into and on hold or processing folder or something until that is received but they still do the interview etc and stuff and get you the rest of the way and tell people that they can just have the docs sent through and their paperwork will be finalised.

I am just super grateful we had all our stuff and got our answer on the spot, i dont think my nerves could handle any more waiting!!

Good luck to everyone and feel free to ask anything. Thanks to everyone who posts on here, reading through made me feel so prepared for everything and is so helpful.

Cheers
Peta

First off Peta, congrats!!! That is super exciting!!

And thanks so much for posting a detailed description of the interview, I have mine in less than three weeks and I am sooo nervous about it. But it's good to know about those questions. I hope answering 'yes' to if you've stayed in the US longer than 90 days doesn't cause any issues, because I have stayed for a longer period than that (worked at camp and then travelled after).

When do you plan on going, what state are you moving to?

Peta Congrats!!!
It's great to here a Sydney success story.
I have gone through the MLC Consulate twice before for a gap-year working visa and a student study abroad visa - and the process seems to be almost the exact same! So to all of those who are nervous, don't be! It's the routine for most visas it seems.
I am so happy for your success and I hope that May 1st brings success to me too this year!
I'm also interested in where you plan to live, the state? Just curious!

Congratulations Peta, what incredible news! Your mind must be racing now with everything you want, need and still have to do! So thrilled for you :)

Q

Hooray Peta!!! Congratulations!

Great post too, thanks for all the details. I'm sure it'll be similar for me, despite being in a different country. Not long now for me - Thursday! :eek:

Question about the order of documents: I know the order but do they want the originals in order in one pile, and the photocopies in order in another pile? Or did you have it all in one pile, with the photocopies behind the original?

What did you answer to their question about why you wanted to live in the US? I think I'd have stumbled on that one, thinking my answer would sound a bit silly or naive.

And no questions about your finances or what you will do for healthcare?

Here's my list of documents they've asked me to bring:

- Passport of each applicant
- Photocopy of the biographic passport page of each applicant
- Medical of each applicant
- Original and photocopy of your birth certificates
- Original and 2 photocopies of your marriage certificate
- Original police certificates
- Original and photocopy of school record/employment qualifications

How's it compare to other Aussies? My interview's in Montreal, so I'm curious as to differences.

Also, just thought about one thing ... hubby was married before so do we need his divorce papers even though I'm the main applicant?

Thanks guys

Yes it is very exciting and my mind is totally racing with things to do! Madly getting organised!

We are hoping to leave in about 8 weeks and we are planning on traveling around the states (delayed honeymoon) for a while before arriving in NYC.

Vichel - Sydney consulate sent an email before the interview stating how they wanted to the docs. Each person was to have their own pile / no sleeves or folders etc. Original with copy behind it. Your docs sound the same as mine. Education for principal applicant only but we had my hubbys with us in case they asked.

We had our finances but didnt need them and healthcare they asked other people if the doctors had mentioned anything in particular to them but we were not asked for anything like that. Our medicals had already come through to the consulate and had no probs.

I would take everything you can including divorce papers just in case but i cant imagine you would need them. Better to be over prepared.

Answer for why we wanted to live there was that we had travelled there twice before and loved the country people and culture of the country and wanted the opportunity to contribute to it.

Good luck Thursday - you will be totally fine! I would say dont street but that advice was totally useless on me!

Bella - not sure about more than 90 days, they did ask every person we heard... was it legit? or did you overstay? If it was legit it shouldnt be a problem. I wouldnt lie though because my guess is they probably already know they answers to most questions.

Thanks Qewty - Got my fingers crossed that this is your year!

Thanks Peta. My email didn't specify how the documents were to be organised so that's why I asked. It makes sense for each person to have their own pile, so that's what I'll do.

How about photos? My email didn't specify photos yet I've seen many posts here about having 2 photos (which we have), and also if I go to the Montreal website, it states to bring 2 photos.

Also, did you have to have a copy of your DS-230, part I and II?

I only had to have 1 photo but if montreal says 2 i would take 2.

Also, did you have to have a copy of your DS-230, part I and II? -

Nope they had it all back from KCC and we just had to sign it.

I only had to have 1 photo but if montreal says 2 i would take 2.

Also, did you have to have a copy of your DS-230, part I and II? -

Nope they had it all back from KCC and we just had to sign it.

Thanks Peta! Sorry for all the questions but I'm stressing out a bit and want to make sure I've got everything I need, hoping that'll keep my stress-level out of the red-zone :D

Just found out my interview date! Freaking out a bit now! Now I just need to go have the dreaded medical exam, really not looking forward to it! Haven't seen a list of things to bring to the interview yet, just read the date and ran with it haha.

Not a prob Vichel :) Good luck! You will be totally fine, as long as paperwork is in order, i do believe the process is really just a formality now :)

Good luck JessJames - Dont worry about the medical, it is easy!

Just found out my interview date! Freaking out a bit now! Now I just need to go have the dreaded medical exam, really not looking forward to it! Haven't seen a list of things to bring to the interview yet, just read the date and ran with it haha.

Good luck Jess, it will all run smoothly, it's just your nerves kicking in! :)
Q