2012 February N-400 Tracker

On April 19, I received an email and a text message from USCIS saying that my Oath Letter had been sent.

Its been 2 days so I think I will get it tomorrow or Monday.

I do not know if I will be able to attend the oath ceremony on Wednesday but I sure hope so.

I just wanted to thank all the people that made this possible at USCIS and tell them that they are doing a wonderful job.

I has not even been 90 days and I am ready to get my Citizenship Certificate.

Next step: bring my parents to the US.

Let's see how long that takes.

:cool:

Congratulations! It has been a pretty fast journey!

Your interview experience

My IL was mailed on 4/6/12, but haven't received in 14 days. I've called the 1-800 number, the officer was very helpful, told me the interview date and requested a new letter. She said if I don't have it by 5/5, call back and provide a fax number, so they can fax the letter, so I can have it at the interview.

Kim

I have my interview in San Antonio on 15 th. can you post your experience in 14th?

Vivek

Interview scheduled for 5/11

My interviewed has been scheduled for 5/11.
For those who have done with the interview, please share your experiences.

Finally, some good news at this point: I have just got a text message and e-mail about my interview scheduled and IL sent out.

Hi Guys!

Sorry, did not have time to track my progress here on the forum. Anyway, here's my brief update. We've mailed papers to Phoenix center on Feb 15th (02/15), did FP on 03/05. My wife had an interview today (04/25) in San Francisco. It went very well and it was surpassingly quick (10-15 minutes). She was asked few questions from the US history, wrote a sentence and was told that she will receive an invitation to the ceremony in the mail. My interview is scheduled for May 15th. I guess my namecheck took longer than my wife's.
Good luck to everybody!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys!

Sorry, did not have time to track my progress here on the forum. Anyway, here's my brief update. We've mailed papers to Phoenix center on Feb 15th (02/15), did FP on 03/05. My wife had an interview today (04/25) in San Francisco. It went very well and it was surpassingly quick (10-15 minutes). She was asked few questions from the US history, wrote a sentence and was told that she will receive an invitation to the ceremony in the mail. My interview is scheduled for May 15th. I guess my namecheck took longer than my wife's.
Good luck to everybody!

Alex, congratulations to your wife! And good luck to you! My name/background check also took longer time than for my son. Every case is different, and also files of the members of a family may get to different officers. I am prepared that my interview maybe a few weeks after my son's, though we applied simultaneously. He got his GC as my dependent, a minor, but now he has an independent application since he turned 18, and his application goes faster.

Alex, congratulations to your wife! And good luck to you! My name/background check also took longer time than for my son. Every case is different, and also files of the members of a family may get to different officers. I am prepared that my interview maybe a few weeks after my son's, though we applied simultaneously. He got his GC as my dependent, a minor, but now he has an independent application since he turned 18, and his application goes faster.

Thanks! Good luck to you too! Yeh, I understand why it takes different time. Another little update. My wife's status was updated today saying "In queue for oath'. It took 8 days from her interview. Maybe useful for those who go through San Francisco interview process. If you don't get invitation right away, don't worry, according to officer, it may take up to 2 weeks to get in mail.

Documents for my son's interview

My son's interview is approaching. He got his GC 5 years ago as my dependent, a minor. All his prior visas were also dependent on mine (J2 and H4). My GC is employment-based, and his is a derivative. Does he need to bring to the interview copies of all documents that we filed for GC and then had during the process of waiting (like EA cards, etc) - to prove that he had come here with me, his mother, and was a dependent at the time we got GCs? Does he need to take my initial job offer letter with which we came to the US almost 13 years ago?

My son's interview is approaching. He got his GC 5 years ago as my dependent, a minor. All his prior visas were also dependent on mine (J2 and H4). My GC is employment-based, and his is a derivative. Does he need to bring to the interview copies of all documents that we filed for GC and then had during the process of waiting (like EA cards, etc) - to prove that he had come here with me, his mother, and was a dependent at the time we got GCs? Does he need to take my initial job offer letter with which we came to the US almost 13 years ago?

Don't think that he needs all those. What did the pre-interview letter and the actual interview letter say for him to bring?

Also, I assume he is over 18 since he is going to his own interview. Did he register for selective services? Any US citizen or permanent resident male between 18 and 26 needs to register for selective services. So they might ask about that and maybe a registration (or status) letter from selective services showing that he registered.

Thanks. Yes, he registered for selective service the same month as he turned 18. He got his registration card. He will take this card with him. Does he need any additional letters from Selective Service?
YL says about State ID or DL, which he has. There are many documents listed in the IL, but I guess this is the form, which is standard and the same for everyone- GC, all passports, birth certificate. He will take his student ID, tax transcript ( he was working part time). Nothing special - he is a full-time college student.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Yes, he registered for selective service the same month as he turned 18. He got his registration card. He will take this card with him. Does he need any additional letters from Selective Service?
YL says about State ID or DL, which he has. There are many documents listed in the IL, but I guess this is the form, which is standard and the same for everyone- GC, all passports, birth certificate. He will take his student ID, tax transcript ( he was working part time). Nothing special - he is a full-time college student.

Just the registration card and a photocopy of it should be fine (in case they want to keep the photocopy).

Other than that, he should take everything that it listed in the interview letter. I see that a birth certificate is listed there which was not on my letter. So he definitely should have the birth certificate with him. All the other documents you mentioned can be with him just in case the officer asks for them.

Best of luck!

Just the registration card and a photocopy of it should be fine (in case they want to keep the photocopy).

Other than that, he should take everything that it listed in the interview letter. I see that a birth certificate is listed there which was not on my letter. So he definitely should have the birth certificate with him. All the other documents you mentioned can be with him just in case the officer asks for them.

Best of luck!

Thanks, Nwctzn! As for his birth certificate, we translated it into English and notarized the translation at a local bank. So he will take an original, a photocopy, and the notarized translation with him. Probably, they require this because he got his GC as my dependent, and the birth certificate confirms that he is my son.

Thanks, Nwctzn! As for his birth certificate, we translated it into English and notarized the translation at a local bank. So he will take an original, a photocopy, and the notarized translation with him. Probably, they require this because he got his GC as my dependent, and the birth certificate confirms that he is my son.

Yes, I think you're right. Also, having the original and a notarized English translation sounds good. It might also be a good idea to have a photocopy of the original as well. I heard of stories where the officer takes your documents to make photocopies and somehow the documents get lost. I do not blame them with all the workload they have. So having a photocopy of the original as well will make life easier for both you and for them. Just my two cents.

Interview Experience

I had my interview this morning. I was called in 25 mins past the appointment time (no big deal). Interviewing officer started with the oath and then asked me for my passport, GC & ID. Then the officer asked me to sign my pictures & a pre-filled form with my name & other information(I guess they use that for the naturalization certificate).

Then the officer went through my N400 application/ folder; confirming all my responses were indeed correct. Upon completion of the application review, officer asked me to sign the remaining sections on my N400 application.

It was time for the test after that, I was asked to read a sentence (pretty simple stuff). Then I was asked to write a sentence. After that, I was asked 6 questions from the test booklet.

Then the officer informed me that application is being recommended for approval and I will get oath letter in the mail.

The whole process lasted for exactly 20 minutes. I had copies of everything but officer didn't ask me for any copies. Officer told me that I have already submitted enough documentation so there is no need for any additional documentation.

I hope to get oath letter in the mail soon (may be next 2 weeks).

Great news, Gladius! May I ask which magical city you're in which processes N400's in less than 3 months?! :D

Great news, Gladius! May I ask which magical city you're in which processes N400's in less than 3 months?! :D

From his schedule it sounds like Bay Area. For many of my friends entire thing took less than 3 months. After all hoops with visas and GC I was pleasantly surprised with USCIS speed. Dude, you're in the wrong state. Just kidding. :p Good luck with your process.