2012 February N-400 Tracker

Does everybody get YL? Is there any reason for getting such letter?

Most of people I was talking to got YLs before getting ILs or together with them, and all my acquaintances were asked to provide DLs or State IDs. Some were also requested to bring their marriage and/or divorce certificates, and some were requested to provide tax transcripts. But I am not sure whether they send these YLs to absolutely everyone. It looks like some people do not get any YLs, but get only ILs. Probably, they have provided copies of their DLs when submitting N-400, but I am not sure. My son and I sent out only those documents together with N-400, which were listed on the USCIS website. They ask to provide, say, tax transcripts only if you failed to submit tax returns in time. If a person was married before, but then divorced, it is important to provide a copy of the marriage termination document. I was married in my home country, and got divorced there a few years before coming to the U.S., so I translated both prior marriage & divorce certificates, attached photocopies of these documents, and notarized these documents at a local bank. I submitted these documents together with N-400 (though my GC was employment-based, and not marriage-based, I attached my prior marriage certificate, because it shows my maiden name and my current last name, which is my ex-husband's - I decided to keep it after divorce because of my diplomas and publications, and because I want to have the same last name as my son has - the last name of his dad). Probably, because I provided these documents, they do not ask me to bring them. But I will still bring the originals with me to the Interview - just in case they ask for them.

Most of people I was talking to got YLs before getting ILs or together with them, and all my acquaintances were asked to provide DLs or State IDs. Some were also requested to bring their marriage and/or divorce certificates, and some were requested to provide tax transcripts. But I am not sure whether they send these YLs to absolutely everyone. It looks like some people do not get any YLs, but get only ILs. Probably, they have provided copies of their DLs when submitting N-400, but I am not sure. My son and I sent out only those documents together with N-400, which were listed on the USCIS website. They ask to provide, say, tax transcripts only if you failed to submit tax returns in time. If a person was married before, but then divorced, it is important to provide a copy of the marriage termination document. I was married in my home country, and got divorced there a few years before coming to the U.S., so I translated both prior marriage & divorce certificates, attached photocopies of these documents, and notarized these documents at a local bank. I submitted these documents together with N-400 (though my GC was employment-based, and not marriage-based, I attached my prior marriage certificate, because it shows my maiden name and my current last name, which is my ex-husband's - I decided to keep it after divorce because of my diplomas and publications, and because I want to have the same last name as my son has - the last name of his dad). Probably, because I provided these documents, they do not ask me to bring them. But I will still bring the originals with me to the Interview - just in case they ask for them.

Thanks Marusia for your detailed info. Actually I filed my N-400 application through an attorney and he sent only the application, copy of green card and necessary fee. My case is very straight forward. I have given FP last week.

As far as I understood, it is very unlikely that your interview would be scheduled before your 5-year anniversary. I was advised that even if this happened, your status would be automatically RFE until the GC anniversary. So it is pointless to wait and worry till approximately day when you got your GC.

Well, in this case, I have to wait for another month then.
Hopefully they start scheduling for my interview early next month...

FP done today (4/3)

Finally applied for citizenship after 9 years of employment based GC.

N-400 was mailed to Lewissville, TX as I live in NJ.

Mailed via USPS (Day 00)- 02/21/12
Received by USCIS (Day 1d) - 02/22/12
Check cashed (Day 7d)- 02/28/12
Notice date - 03/08/12
FP notice recieved - 03/13/12
FP done @Elizabeth, NJ - 04/03/12

Thanks to everyone for providing information here....

I guess my FP are in! It took less than 1 week! Yesterday I received a txt notification that I'm in line for my interview. The online Status has changed from Initial Review to "Testing and Interview"

Congratulations!
My son has also received the message about "Interview and Testing" (applied at the same time as I). But my status is still "Initial review" - probably, much more to check...

Received YL today and status changed to "Testing and Interview"

Finally, after a long wait, I have some status changed.
Received the YL the same day I received email notification that my status has been changed to "Testing and Interview".
I guess next step, is to wait for the IL.

Finally, after a long wait, I have some status changed.
Received the YL the same day I received email notification that my status has been changed to "Testing and Interview".
I guess next step, is to wait for the IL.

It seems we are on the same schedule :)

I've got my Easter eggs today. One email from USCIS at 8:30AM and one at 8:30PM.
I have a business trip first week of May, my wife has one from the 15th, let's see how lucky we are to have the interview in between those 2 trips.

Last edited by a moderator:
My son has also received an Interview Letter today (04/07/12) for 05/21/12, and his status is "Interview and Testing". His application and FP dates are the same as mine. He got YL two days before me.
My status is still the same - "Initial review"... Don't know how long will have to wait...

Interview date scheduled

Here is update on my case status:

ApplicationFiled: 02/22/2012
Priority Dt : 02/22/2012
Check Cashed :--
NOA Recieved : 02/27/2012
FP notice dt : 03/09/2012
FP recd :03 /12/2012
FP Done : 03/12/2012 [ walk-in ]
Interview stats update:03/14/2012
Interview Letter Recd :03/27/2012
Interview Date : 05/08/2012
Oath Date : N/A

thanks

On-line status changed!

Just an update: my on-line status has finally changed to "Testing and interview", and the e-mail & text messages I got say that I am 'in line for interview scheduling'. This means that I hopefully will get an interview letter soon. My son has already got it scheduled for 05/21/12. Even if we are scheduled for different days, it is still OK, but, of course, I am praying that it would be the same day.

If the on-line status has changed to "Testing and interview", does this mean that the namecheck is most likely over? Or it will be over only at the time when the IL sent out? It's a little bit strange: my son and I submitted applications together in the same mail. He got two messages within the same day- "in line for interview scheduling" and "IL sent out", and his IL came in two days. But my status changed to "in line for interview" and then got stuck. Is it still in namecheck? What is the typical waiting time between "in line" and "IL sent out"?

Your interview experience?

Hello Kshitij,

I received my GC Jan 28, 2008. It is because I married a USC so I could have applied for Citizenship 2 years and 9 months after that, so basically November 2010 but I didn't do it until now. I was not in a real hurry but now I wish I had done it before. Anyway, 13 more days to the interview. I have to start reading the questions. I haven't even opened the booklet they send you. :p

Good luck!

Hi Infastocawn!

Do you mind sharing your interview experience? Mine is on Apr. 30th! the weeks are going by too fast!!!

Thanks,

Chivigon!

Hi Infastocawn!

Do you mind sharing your interview experience? Mine is on Apr. 30th! the weeks are going by too fast!!!

Thanks,

Chivigon!

Hello Chivigon,

I went to the interview on Thursday and it was very easy. No problems whatsoever. I had sent copies of tax returns, driver's license, banck accounts, everything you can imagine, insurance records, etc.

They had a 2 inch thick folder with every document I had sent including the envelopes, which I thought was pretty weird.

The interview lady was very nice and she asked me my name, address, phone number, whe checked all the paperwork, and then she told me to write a sentence in english. "The President of The United States lives in the White House, then she asked me to say something but I don't recall what it was, something very simple.

Then she proceeded to ask me 6 questions because I got them all right. Don't recall what questions but if you read them like 30 times they will stick, so don't be nervous.

Then she stamped my papers with Approved and that was it.

She told me it was too late to get my approval letter with instructions for the ceremony and that I would get it by mail in a couple of days.

She also told me that possibly I would be included in the April 25 ceremmony so that's 9 days from today.

That's it guys, good luck!

My IL was mailed on 4/6/12, but haven't received in 14 days. I've called the 1-800 number, the officer was very helpful, told me the interview date and requested a new letter. She said if I don't have it by 5/5, call back and provide a fax number, so they can fax the letter, so I can have it at the interview.

On April 19, I received an email and a text message from USCIS saying that my Oath Letter had been sent.

Its been 2 days so I think I will get it tomorrow or Monday.

I do not know if I will be able to attend the oath ceremony on Wednesday but I sure hope so.

I just wanted to thank all the people that made this possible at USCIS and tell them that they are doing a wonderful job.

I has not even been 90 days and I am ready to get my Citizenship Certificate.

Next step: bring my parents to the US.

Let's see how long that takes.

:cool: