• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2011 DV Lottery Winners from Australia Report Here!

Thanks Ack!
What I have learned from this is that if you have the documents in order, your express post envelope, photocopies of your documents and you meet the requirements (education, work experience etc) its all just a formality now. Its almost in your hand!!
Best of luck. I am sure I can speak for all on the forum - we look forward to hearing how you go!
:)

Thanks for the advice excited. I'm still conscious of telling people that I still have to get through the interview first, and that the visa isn't a given - I'm a bit panicky about any kind of 'freak accident' that could occur, or getting a narky CO on the day, etc. And even if I get approved on the day? I'll be panicky until I get my passport back with the visa in it!

This is going to sound like the strangest and silliest question, but I've already bought the 3kg Express Post parcel - except its the one for parcels (soft material), and not the 'envelope' (ie, paper) - should i be getting the envelope instead? Sorry this is the silliest question!

Also, did anyone here complete a police check in Sydney? I'm still waiting to confirm mine has been completed, but the results are going direct to the Consulate and not coming to me - is this normal?

Someone also mentioned bringing 1 US passport sized photo - is this required? It wasn't listed in my letter or in the Step 4 instructions, but I'd like to be prepared if I need it...

The interview is in just over a week, one more week of nerves!

Hey Ack!
Totally understand you are still nervous/panicky. No-one can alleviate that for you until its over!
I got the soft 3kg one too. So it was all good. Yes, you do need one US passport photo and dont forget to photocopy your documents.
I got my police check done in Sydney. It was a bit of a pain in the a**. I had to wait until there were no prisoners in the dock to get my fingerprints done. This was tricky for me as I live in the inner city so there always seemed to be someone under arrest! LOL Did you get the fingerprints done? Thats important. There seemed to be some confusion with the police on this and I had to discuss this at length with them in that I needed a federal police check, not a standard one. If it cost over $100 you can be assured you have the right one.
They sent mine to my home address. I dont think it matters too much, I believe its common that they send on the reports direct to the consulate.
Again, all the best.

Thanks excited, much appreciated!
Police check is now complete, so it seems everything is in order...
1 week to go!

No Zootfish, our number is 11**, so we are still stalking the numbers anxiously each month...We were hoping to packed and over there at least a month before the US school year starts in September. Judging by the last few years of when our case number becomes current though, it's anybody's guess whether or not that's realistic of us...
And of course we have to get through the interview first!

Can anybody clarify for me - are we fingerprinted twice? Once for the police check and again at the interview? (Just want to make sure it's done if it needs to be..)

And also, does anyone have experience taking children to the interview here in Sydney? This could be a silly question, but are they fingerprinted also?? (Just pays to be one step ahead where the kids will be involved to avoid 'issues' ;-))

Many thanks!

As part of the police check they take fingerprints but those are only used by the police to check their records. They aren't on your police certificate anywhere. Here in Victoria we had them done at the police center in the World Trade Centre and they were electronic... so no messy ink.

During the process of your interview they will also take electronic fingerprints. It's as easy as placing your hand on their little machine. I believe those fingerprints are then stored against your case file so that they can identify you. We had the fingerprints taken at the first window and then had to be fingerprint 'tested' when we went to the other window to see the interviewing officer.

Thanks Zootfish - I'm sitting here laughing at myself, because of *course* they're electronic nowadays...yet I was getting all wound up picturing the kids having to deal with the ink pad etc etc - hahahaha. Ooooh the things we worry about during The Wait!

Thanks TamaraM! A couple last days of triple-checking all my documents and then it's D-day...!

Hi
Great forum. I have interview next week, though still waiting for Police Cert.

Question. My wife has just fallen pregnant, due early Oct. All our current documentation shows no kids. Anyone know what happens in this case?

At this time we are thinking we will need to travel to US say in May to activate it, then come home to have baby. Then once settled move to US..

Thanks
Jason

Gold Coast

Today, my visa was approved.
Cue almost-tears, heart-in-throat, and general moment of disbelief.

The process was fairly straightforward and the only glitch was when their payment systems went down - everyone had to wait for about 20 minutes before they could pay.

Tips:
* Last into the lift from L10 (going to L59) is gold
* Bring cash with you - my card was "declined" twice before their systems went down, and I suspect cash would have been easier at that point - cost is A$859.95. If you have to go back to an ATM for cash, you'll need to allow time to clear the security on L10 again.
* Bring a US phone number contact with you, as well as the US address - this was the only piece of info I didn't have on hand, that they asked for. I also heard it requested of another interviewee
* Organise your documentation - photocopies after originals, not two separate piles. I saw 1 guy get turned away 3 times to get organised (and then go buy an envelope)

Questions I was asked:
* Highest level of education completed
* What I studied at uni

Time in the building was 2hrs 15 mins, Interview time was 5 mins

After limited sleep last night due to nerves, I'm off for a long slumber - and can't wait to get my passport back with the visa in it!
To everyone still left to interview - best wishes!

Good morning

I was just wondering for those you have received their visas and moved to the US, would you be able to share where you have moved to and what employment you are doing.

Thanks

Congratulations Ack!! Sounds like it went relatively smoothly...can you tell me, are you allowed to take anything at *all* in with you while you wait?? I'm a bit worried about how two children will go waiting without any form of entertainment...a book even???

Aussiedudette - you must be anxiously waiting for the bulletin this week, as am I!

...can you tell me, are you allowed to take anything at *all* in with you while you wait?? I'm a bit worried about how two children will go waiting without any form of entertainment...a book even???

You shouldn't have any problems taking a book in I don't think. They don't allow you to take bags but I had a document wallet with all of our documentation in that was scanned and OK. If I had a book in there I don't see that I would have had a problem.