• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2011 DV Lottery Winners from Australia Report Here!

Hey Zootfish
I just wanted to pass on my congratulations to you and your partner on your new status!!
My interview is next week and I hope to enjoy the same fate.
I believe I have every thing in order paperwork wise, my only hesitation is a DUI charge (low range, 0.05) against me 8 years ago. I have been upfront about it and have got this far so hopefully they wont hold it against me? I have never reoffended.
So fingers crossed for me, y'all! LOL

I will let you all know how I go.

Best of luck at your interview Excited! I guess as long as you've got all of your evidence you're in with the best shot.

On a side note, the Express Post envelope with our passports, entry pack and VISAS(!!) arrived bright and early this morning. Boy those visas sure do look pretty. :)

That's great news Zootfish. Congrats.

I am madly busy here, and trying to get organised (heard back from Sydney consulate that although my wife and I sent our updated DS-230 forms to KCC a week after we got married, they crossed with our file which was on its way to Sydney - so they have no record of my wife whatsover)....

Anyway I have a basic question - and am sure its mentioned somewhere - but what is the fee we need to pay at the interview??? And is it just me that pays or my wife as well?

cheers
Pete

Thanks Pete.

In answer to your question, you both have to pay for your visas. Our receipt from the day shows:

13 x Photocopy - US$13 (!!!!)
2 x IV APP OTHER (DV,SIV,ETC) - US$610
2 x DV SURCHARGE - US$880
2 x IV SURCHARGE - US$148
TOTAL - US$1651

It also says that the AU$ amount would be $1733.55

Thanks Zootfish and Coen.

I went through the medical today in Sydney. For those of you yet to complete this, allow 3-4 hours - I tried to do it in my lunch hour, left work at 12pm and didn't make it back until just after 3pm. The x-ray place is separate from the medical centre and they managed to mess up the spelling of my name not once but twice!

I'd already had a tetanus booster before the medical, and my earlier blood tests showed I already had the Rubella shot, but I still had to take another blood test (because it needs to come from the examining physician), and also get a Measles/Mumps shot.

Breakdown of medical costs in Sydney:
Medical: $242
MMR shot: $34
Blood test: $31
X-Ray: ~$65

I entered the USA on 01/11/11, and received my physical green card two days ago via mail. It was produced and mailed on 01/13/11, two days after I entered...so much for it taking 6 months like CBP @ LAX had originally said.

Still waiting on my SSN, it shouldn't be too far away though!

I entered the USA on 01/11/11, and received my physical green card two days ago via mail. It was produced and mailed on 01/13/11, two days after I entered...so much for it taking 6 months like CBP @ LAX had originally said.

Still waiting on my SSN, it shouldn't be too far away though!

Coen,

That seems unusually quick!

I entered on the 18th Dec via JFK. First received a letter indicating my OS155A had been received on the 27th, then approved on the 14th of Jan and am still waiting for the physical green card.

I to am hoping to also receive the SSN, but from my reading online it appears in most cases they don't come through via the visa application process and you end up having to go to social security yourself to get one sorted.

AJK

Those two forms USCIS send you, the receipt and the welcome letter were dated 01/12/11. So I entered on the 11th, USCIS received and processed my packet the following day, then the green card was produced the day after that. I'm thinking JFK might send their files to a different office, which might be bogged down with European and African applications where as there's probably less immigration from the Asia Pacific region entering through LAX hence the quicker processing time. I might call the SSA to check on the status of my SSN after the mail man comes tomorrow to try and get that out of the road before the weekend.

Oh, and I am in the US. It's too expensive to fly back and forth in peak season.

Edit: My girlfriend just text me, it would appear my SSN arrived at her house today. Entered 11th, SSN on the 20th. Pretty damn quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coen,

My packet went to Texas from JFK, where as LA has a local service center in California.

I really envy that you got your SSN, i really hope we get it to (makes things easier ie: bank accounts etc, while outside the US; we left shortly after activating).

Maybe, California just do a better job than Texas cause i think when SSN's haven't arrived (from what i've read) Texas may have been the processing centre.

AJK

ajk - can I ask which way you flew into JFK?? As in, where it was via?
I remember the first few times we flew there it was a 'direct' flight from Sydney, stopping in LA, and we cleared customs at JFK. However, when we went there last year (for the first time in a while), we took the same direct Qantas flight there, but cleared customs in L.A. this time, which I'm guessing from the posts above would be a good thing?? I guess its a security issue now...
So anyway, was just curious where you went via...

Today I was approved!!!
The whole process was identical that has been described in past posts - especially from Zootfish & Coen. The whole thing was very easy and very quick despite the fact that I felt very nervous.
The interview itself took no more than five minutes. I was essentially asked questions that I had answered on the paperwork such as my martial status, if I had any children, how many times had I visited the US.
There was absolutely no mention of financial support etc and I didnt offer any.
I am obviously elated and happy its all over with.
To those who are still waiting I offer my sincerest best wishes for when your time comes. :)

I guess now I just wait to get my passport back and start planning the new phase of my life. :)

Today I was approved!!!

Huge congratulations to you excited! Enjoy the feeling.

Seeing that passport with the visa in it is the sweetest thing. I kept looking at mine all through the day after it arrived. Had to keep checking that it was real! :)

Congratulations excited! Sounds like it was relatively painless :)
Did they ever make mention of the DUI you were worried about??
Where abouts are you headed??

Congrats again,
Tamara.

Congratulations Excited, Zootfish & Coen

I hope mine and my family goes as smoothly as all of yours did - I figure it will probably be late Feb/March for our interview.

Once again congratulations.

Congratulations excited, i am hapy 4U. I also had a successful interview today, it went smooth & easy. I also wish those dat re yet to go 4 there interview good luck

Big congratulations to you excited!!

I have my interview coming up in a couple of weeks...the nerves are starting to get to me!

Thanks, TamaraM.
In regards to the DUI I was only asked besides this offence had I ever been arrested. Which the answer is no. So it was all fine. However I was really nervous. It was just one of those really unfortunate things that happened many years ago that continually seems to haunt me!
Funny enough, I am not really sure where I am headed. Ideally I will get a transfer with my job that I have here in Australia. I am not making any big plans until April and expect to leave July at latest.
I still have not got my passport back. I hope to receive that soon. It still doesnt feel real!!

All the best.