• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2011 DV Lottery Winners from Australia Report Here!

Hi fellow Aust DV 2011 winners. I've got a little problem..

At the time I was selected in the DV lottery back in 2010 my partner and I were engaged, but not married. I wrote to the KCC and they told me to just send them am updated Form DS-230 when we got married. We got married in late 2010 as planned. My wife and I then both filled out DS-230s (while on our honeymoon) and sent them to KCC.

We arrived home from our honeymoon to a letter addressed to me only, no mention of my wife, saying that the interview is to take place in Sydney in February 2011 (a few weeks from now). To date, there's still been no mention of my wife and no letter to my wife.... Should she have received a letter as well? And is she supposed to come with me to the interview?

Any help would be appreciated!

cheers p

Pete,
Your wife wont receive a separate letter. Your letter should list (on one of the pages of your interview letter) the names of all the people who are included in your application, ie your wife's name. If it doesnt list her anywhere then I suggest you contact the consulate ASAP and ask them how to resolve it. Their email address is sydneyiv@state.gov

Thanks Superkruz. Very helpful. Will do.

Is it also worth contacting the KCC where I actually sent the updated DS-230? At least in Kentucky you can speak with an actual person. Or are the Sydney consulate quite responsive with emails?

The consulate tends to reply within a day or two. In your letter that you received (the interview letter - under the "questions" heading in my letter) it says that "KCC has completed the processing of your case and any further inquiries should be addressed to the processing post below, where your appointment has been scheduled".
This means all the documents that you sent to KCC has now been transferred to the Consulate, for further processing of your case, and is no longer with KCC. As a result I would say it would be pointless to contact KCC but rather just contact the Consulate. I hope this helps.

Well, at 9:07 this morning, my wife and I walked out into the ground floor lobby of the MLC tower as US permanent residents. And what an amazing feeling it was. :D

Following Coen's advice, we got the the consulate early, at 7:30, and were the first people there. We went through the security scan and were seated and told that they would starting showing people upstairs at 8:00.

About 8:00 we were told to go to the lift and, again following the advice, were the last ones in. Up we went and got out on level 59. A quick check of our passports and then it was throguh the heavy door to take ticket number one.

We waited for 10 minutes before being called up to the counter. The woman collected our file and, as soon as she opened it, there on top was a bright yellow piece of paper. I quickly scanned it and saw that it was an alert that our marriage had taken place after entering the lottery. We handed over all of the documentation that is listed on the DV selectee website as required. We had taken several other things in case they were needed, including evidence of our relationship, but nothing was asked for. After handing over our documents we were sent to pay the fees. We paid on credit card with no problems. As we didn't take photocopies of our documentation we were charged for some to be made as well. Back to the first window and after a couple of quick questions to my wife about her new passport, we had our fingerprints taken and were told that all of our documents looked in good order and that unless the interviewing officer had any specific questions everything looked OK. This part of the process took about 30 minutes.

As we sat and waited for the interview I was wondering if we were going to have problems because of our marriage after entering the lottery. After only a couple of minutes wait we were called to the interviewing officer's window. The questioning went as follows:
  • What is your highest level of education completed?
  • Have either of you been to the United States before?
  • What is the longest period of time you spent there?
  • Where did you both meet?

And that was it. With that the interviewer said "Congratulations, your application has been approved", and handed over the letter. Slighty shocked at the lack of interrogation, we thanked her and left. Back down to the lobby on level 10 to collect my wife's handbag and then back to the ground floor.

Total time in building: 1hour 10 minutes.
Total time in "interview": 5 minutes.

Coen's advice was spot on and certainly meant that we were through very quickly.

Remember to take the following with you:
  • Photocopies of all your documentation
  • 3kg Express Post envelope
  • 1 x US size passport photo

Right now it's all still sinking in but the sense of relief that the wait to find out whether we actually had a visa or not is amazing.

For those of you still waiting, hang in there. It's worth it! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Zootfish!!! And thank you for sharing :)

Sorry if you've mentioned already, but where are you both heading??

Congrats Zootfish!! And thanks to all for the detailed recounts of their interviews.

I have an interview scheduled for early Feb, and recently stumbled across these forums - what a godsend! I had actually thought I'd already missed out, until I received my 2NL in the mail a few weeks ago. Now that I've read through these posts, I feel slightly less prepared than you all seem to be!

I have a couple of questions some of you might be able to help with:
1. A few of you mention showing up at 7.30am or so for the interview - my 2NL actually states that my interview time is 9am, should I ignore this and go earlier?
2. I have a medical exam later this week - I've been to my local dr for my tetanus and hep B boosters, and have the blood test results to show I am already immunised for hep c, mmr, etc. Will I still need to take a blood test at the medical? Are there any other key vaccinations they check for? If it helps, I was born here and had all the standard childhood vaccinations - I just don't have the medical records showing this.
3. There was no mention in the required documents re: AOS, but I am planning on bringing along supporting financial documents. Did anyone else bring along an AOS, or is it not upheld here? Coen, you mentioned bringing along a Stat Dec from your father - if you don't mind my asking, was this a NSW Stat Dec or a Commonwealth Stat Dec?

Thanks in advance! :)

Congrats Zootfish!! And thanks to all for the detailed recounts of their interviews.

I have an interview scheduled for early Feb, and recently stumbled across these forums - what a godsend! I had actually thought I'd already missed out, until I received my 2NL in the mail a few weeks ago. Now that I've read through these posts, I feel slightly less prepared than you all seem to be!

1. A few of you mention showing up at 7.30am or so for the interview - my 2NL actually states that my interview time is 9am, should I ignore this and go earlier?
2. I have a medical exam later this week - I've been to my local dr for my tetanus and hep B boosters, and have the blood test results to show I am already immunised for hep c, mmr, etc. Will I still need to take a blood test at the medical? Are there any other key vaccinations they check for? If it helps, I was born here and had all the standard childhood vaccinations - I just don't have the medical records showing this.
3. There was no mention in the required documents re: AOS, but I am planning on bringing along supporting financial documents. Did anyone else bring along an AOS, or is it not upheld here? Coen, you mentioned bringing along a Stat Dec from your father - if you don't mind my asking, was this a NSW Stat Dec or a Commonwealth Stat Dec?

Thanks in advance! :)

1. My 2NL also said 9am. When I got to the lobby on level 10 they asked what time my interview was and were completely fine with us being there early.

2. I was in the same boat about not having proof of my childhood vaccinations. I was given MMR and tetanus boosters on the day of the medical. I have also been told that I have to complete the MMR course stateside. Both my wife and I had to do blood tests, even though all of her vaccinations were up-to-date.

3. We didn't show any documents at all regarding financials and were not asked any questions about anything to do with finance or employment.

Hi

If anyone who has gone for an interview who is a single parent or divorced parent with a child.
Please do you know what the questions they will ask at the interview or do they need any papers from court etc.
Many thanks,

Good luck in Denver Zootfish!

Can anybody please tell me, at the medical do they always do a blood test to work out vaccs needed or generally just go by past immunisation charts what you are likely to have had and work from there??
Zootfish, you mentioned having the bloods done, was that on the same day??
There are going to be four of us getting these done, so I'd like to have *some* idea about all the needles involved... :|

Many thanks :)

Good luck in Denver Zootfish!

Can anybody please tell me, at the medical do they always do a blood test to work out vaccs needed or generally just go by past immunisation charts what you are likely to have had and work from there??
Zootfish, you mentioned having the bloods done, was that on the same day??
There are going to be four of us getting these done, so I'd like to have *some* idea about all the needles involved... :|

Many thanks :)

Thanks TamaraM, and a big thanks to everyone else for their congratulatory messages.

The medical interview process for my wife and I went as follows:

We arrived and were given a series of forms to fill-in asking medical and ID questions etc. While working our way through these, I was called in to the doctor's office and the physical began. I was asked a series of questions about my current and past health, asked for evidence of my vaccinations, and given a quick physical check up. I didn't have records of my childhood vaccinations but could show proof of being given an MMR booster last year. The doc said that I would have to have MMR and a tetanus booster that day to satisfy the requirements for the visa. My wife however DID have all her childhood vaccination records and so was told she was fine.

After the physical I went to another room and had my vaccinations, then to another room for chest x-rays, and another room and had my blood taken. My wife followed the same routine, minus getting vaccinations. I should add that we were separated through the whole process. After that it was out to the waiting room to finish the forms and then pay and leave. The whole process took a couple of hours.

I can't say that the process is the same for everyone, but this at least gives you some idea of what it's like here in Melbourne.

The doctor told me the blood test was for HIV (even though it's no longer a disqualifying factor for US immigration). When you get your medical back, it will have a stamp on it saying you were negative for certain antibodies. Type the name of the antibodies into Google and you will know what they tested for, from memory it's actually syphilis. I would do it, but after your interview your medical gets sealed in order to be given to a CBP officer at your POE.

Whoever asked what kind of stat dec I had, it was a Qld one. Like others have said, they don't ask about employment/assets whatsoever but I would assume (having worked 7 years in a decision making role within the banking industry) that they take any evidence you wish to provide as part of the CARE prinpicle...cover ***, retain employment. In that if something comes back at them, like an audit/review, there is evidence on your file to support their overall judgement to approve your application.

Thanks, that's a great help re: the medicals.

Can I ask what sort of cost is generally involved? Are you charged varying rates depending on how many vaccines needed etc? I guess if everyone has a blood test and xray and also general examination, it must be fairly similiar? (I realise in the grand scheme/price of things, it's a mere drop in the migration ocean...but it's nice to have an idea isn't it?)

Thanks again.

We were charged a flat fee of $346.50 each for the medicals (examination, blood test, x-rays) with additional fees for the vaccinations.

Vaccination costs:
Adacel (Tdap) $55
Priorix (MMR) $40

I've just had a look at the receipts and realised that both my wife and I had the Adacel vaccination... whoops. Need to update my previous post :eek:

@ zootfish

Hi zootfish, congrats on your success. Am happy for you guyz, it can only get better for us all. Gudluck on your moves to America and God bless!

Thanks for that :)

Oh - one more question, lol. Did you have to take a photo to the medical?