• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2011 DV Lottery Winners from Australia Report Here!

Hi TamaraM,
There was a family there with 4 kids under 10 ;) I recall seeing the younger ones with some toys (figurines) before we went through the first security check, and then nothing by the time we were on Level 59.
Zootfish is right though - most of us had document wallets/envelopes/etc, and those are the only things you're allowed to take (in addition to your wallet). So if you have a book inside your document folder, you should be fine.

My package from the US Consulate arrived 2 days after my interview - the visa is very pretty indeed! Such a big sigh of relief, and now the planning can begin!

Thanks guys - I think I'll try and take a couple of slim activity books for them and hope we're not waiting too long! Will try my utmost though, to shove my poor children into the lift at just the right time, as recommended, lol :)
Now if our number could just become current that'd be great....March bulletin listed numbers up to 1000 current for April, which wasn't tooo bad a jump...our number is 11** so fingers crossed it will be in the next couple of bulletins!

Who is left waiting here with me??
Aussiedudette - your number must've become current??

How is everyone in the U.S. settling in??

RE: lifts - when you're all waiting for the lifts (they tend to wait for a group of people before calling the lift - in my case, they waited for all of us, 4 individuals and 1 family), just try and let people in before you. I wasn't last in unfortunately - female, all too difficult - so was therefore 2nd last to take a number, but was the 2nd to finish processing. This was due to everyone ahead of me, including the family, having to reorganise their documentation. So I think if you're well-organised, you should be able to finish processing with no issues and it then comes down to the interview.

Hi TamaraM yes we are current, but have not received the 2NL as yet - just a waiting game now - I am going to email them in a couple of days to see if I can get the interview date.

Thanks Ack! That all makes sense :) Where abouts are you headed (sorry if you've already mentioned)??
Also, regarding the photo you need to take to the interview - did you say that it *wasn't* on your list of things to take to the interview? If not, how do people know to bring one??

Must be nice to finally be current aussiedudette - keep us posted on whether or not they've set your interview date yet...I'm interested to see how long after you become current that the interview is actually scheduled. Where are you planning to settle?

Hi TamaraM, looking at heading to San Francisco - hoping to end up in New York eventually; the quintessential american dream I'm sure!
The US passport photo wasn't in the "Step 4 instructions" referred to in my 2NL, which was the only place that listed required documentation. I sent a couple of emails to SydneyIV@state.gov regarding some other matters, and in their responses to me, they always included an attachment which listed the requirement for 1 US passport photo.
You'll definitely want to bring 1 along for each member of the family - it's required for the visa that goes in your passport :)

Superkruz - yippee you must be so excited.

TamaraM - we are looking at Houston. I work for an American company here in Perth and am hoping to get a transfer - that is where all the oil and gas companies are.

Hi

Had interview on Tuesday. What a day.

Was planned to fly out of Gold Coast at 6.10am Tuesday. This would get me into SYD at 8.40 for 10am interview.
Anyway got to airport, plane delayed 50 mins, looked like Prime Minister's jet had clearance Departing Gold Coast causing delays to commercial flights.
Delayed landing into Sydney, so got off plane about 9.50. Jumped in cab 10am, then traffic all along Southern Cross drive into the city. Arrived about 10.30. At least we did not have any queues to battle. No question was asked why we were late, though I was ready with complete story. Dropped off wife's handbag with phone etc on Lvl 10. Then straight up to L59.

Got ticket, and called straight away. Went through paperwork. Had paperwork in organized plastic sleeve folders, but asked to pull out, so note, just have originals together, and 1 copy of originals.

They had not received our police reports, also found my wife's English birth certificate was not sufficient, as there are 2 versions - short and long. Short does not have parents names on it.

We took a seat, while they processed documents. Then had interview. Very friendly man. We were given a sheet showing what documents we needed to send in to complete application. They kept our visa, so assume all is good subject to Police report and providing birth cert. They also wanted an address the US. So we will get our friends address and provide.

We were finished after about 1 hour 20.

Question, anyone moved to US with pets, eg dogs. Just trying to find out the quarantine requirements.

Thanks
Jason

it sounds real good when the immigration official hands your passport to you and says "welcome to the united states"

congrats superkruz! Must feel great to have finally landed on US soil :)

I should probably know the answer to this, but can anyone advise what the next steps are after entry to the US within 6 months with regards to the green card? Is it just a matter of waiting for it to arrive? I've noticed that the visa has an expiry date of 6 months, but am I right to assume that I can stay beyond this date even if I haven't received the green card?

Is there some kind of renewal process that needs to happen each X months/years, or is the green card the last step (before citizenship)?

Congrats Superkruz! I bet it feels awesome to finally be there.

Ack, the visa is an entry permit valid for 6 months but upon entry it is endorsed and becomes a temporary "green card" valid for 12 months. You should receive your physical card within this time and you then use that. (... at least that's how I understand it)

Ooo, nice Superkruz. I will be surprised if I don't shed a tear when I hear those words - if not just for the sheer relief of finally getting there!! Will you be staying put in L.A.??

Ack - we are heading to NY also. A dream come true...hopefully...

Aussiedudette - sounds great - I'd really love to visit the South some day :) Have you emailed the KCC re: interview date yet??

Is there some kind of renewal process that needs to happen each X months/years, or is the green card the last step (before citizenship)?
There is no renewal process. Obtaining a Greencard is the last step before citizenship.

Ooo, nice Superkruz. I will be surprised if I don't shed a tear when I hear those words - if not just for the sheer relief of finally getting there!! Will you be staying put in L.A.??
I am just here for a quick Look/See/Decide trip and will be back in the pulsating metropolis of Brisvegas within a week. Will I move to LA when I move to the USA.... based on what I've seen so far, probably not. A quick observation - Traffic in LA is an absolute nightmare and public transport is very poor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for clarifying, Zootfish and Superkruz :)

Next step is to pay for my ticket. It's nice to be ticking things off the list. For anyone looking to book flights soon, shoulder season is roughly before the 16th of June and after the 18th of July.

I am just here for a quick Look/See/Decide trip and will be back in the pulsating metropolis of Brisvegas within a week. Will I move to LA when I move to the USA.... based on what I've seen so far, probably not. A quick observation - Traffic in LA is an absolute nightmare and public transport is very poor.

I did the same thing during late last year but pounded the pavements of Manhattan & Brooklyn.

Supercruz, are you going out to Orange County (Irvine) or Pasadena, i hear their nice; another one of our possible relocation spots.

That and Nashville which i think we'll go to next.

Looking forward to getting back asap.

AJK

Last edited by a moderator:
Ack! - does that mean the period in between these dates is the shoulder season? Or the periods either sides of the dates? Would love any tips on finding cheaper flights as there will be 4 of us flying and at the moment, Qantas's fares to JFK are looking pretty grim. Even for the next 6 months...

ajk - how did you find NY?

TamaraM - shoulder season is on either side of those dates. First month of summer in the US is generally when the airfares peak. I just ran a quick search through VAustralia and with a departure date of August 22, returning Dec 25 (tickets are valid for 12 months, with 1 free change as the airlines themselves don't have dates published much further than Jan 2012), the return trip is about $1300-$1400 from Sydney->LA. LA->NY with Virgin America is another $229 for that August date.

I've found United, Qantas, BA etc to have the more expensive fares, probably because most of them offer direct flights. However, if you fly VAust and then Virgin America and book it all on the 1 ticket, your luggage will carry through and you won't have to check it in/out yourself.

I've brought my trip forward from late July to mid June :) Saves me about $500 and I figure I can make the most of the US Summer and hopefully get a bit of a west coast tour before settling in!