2003 Consolidated Tracker ONLY (140/EAD/AP/FP/485)

This could possibly go in one of the "Important / FAQ" threads (if it's not there already). Here's some of them...

FP: Refers to FingerPrinting (needed eventually for the I-485)

ND: The Notice Date for an application. This is the date which prioritizes the processing of your application and which is refered to in the VSC processing times

RD: The Receipt Date for an application. Not terribly useful -- the ND is the key date.

AP: Advance Parole. Needed if you are working under an EAD and you want to leave / re-enter the US without having your I-485 considered to be abandoned.

EAD: Employment Authorization Document.

AOS: Adjustment of Status (I-485).

CP: Consular Processing. Alternative to AOS -- once you get your I-140, your green card is adjucated at your country's consulate (e.g. Montreal for Canadians).

ETA

Cp in Chennai

I had applied concurrently for 140/485 about a year back. My 140 is approved. But 485 lookslike a hopeless case.

I am thinking of opting for Consular processing. Anyone who has done 140/485 thinking about or already changed to Consular processing, pls post your opinions about the pros and cons of consular processing after waiting for 1 year for 485.

Why did the 485 guys decide against the CP option? I came to know about CP only recently. Otherwise I would have applied CP one year back itself,instead of 485.

Thanks guys

worldcitizen said:
I had applied concurrently for 140/485 about a year back. My 140 is approved. But 485 lookslike a hopeless case.

I am thinking of opting for Consular processing. Anyone who has done 140/485 thinking about or already changed to Consular processing, pls post your opinions about the pros and cons of consular processing after waiting for 1 year for 485.

Why did the 485 guys decide against the CP option? I came to know about CP only recently. Otherwise I would have applied CP one year back itself,instead of 485.

Thanks guys

Hey worldcitizen.

If you search the forums and also www.murthy.com there's all kinds of info on this, some of it outdated with the proposed changes for handling concurrently filed I-140 / I-485.

The main reasons for AOS instead of CP are

+Once the I-140 is approved, you have AC21 protection. Of course, this may be disappearing with the new guidlelines.

+Don't have to leave US, can appeal if case denied, can continue working on another visa if applicable (with CP you are pretty much SOL if you get denied).

+Can get EAD once I-485 filed. Can work using this (and your wife can get one too).

Also, note that to switch to CP after starting with AOS, you have to file form I-824. Depending on your consulate, you may have to wait for this to be approved before they'll start CP and this can take as long as a year now (plus the CP wait). Some consulates allow you to use an "attorney certified" I-140 which (I think) means you can start CP as soon as you have the AC I-140 done (by your attorney) and the I-824 receipt notice in hand.

Check the processing times for CP at your consolate -- at one point these were starting to take 12+ months which (especially if you have to wait for I-824) can make waiting for I-485 a better option.

And, you'd want to check about what happens to your I-485 status if you file I-824. It's possible that this is considered abandoned immediately so if you are working on an EAD, you wouldn't have this option unless you can switch to another visa while the CP takes place.

Assuming you qualify for AC21 you aren't too badly off, although the wait is obviously frustrating.

ETA

2nd EAD approved.

Just wanted to let you all know ...

My 2nd EAD is approved.
ND 02/27/2004
Receipt # EAC04104xxxxx

I got an email from USCIS saying the following:
"On May 6, 2004, after approving your application, we ordered you a new
card. Your card will be mailed to you as soon as it is ready."

We do not have columns for 2nd, 3rd etc EADs in the tracker workbook. Do we?

hakoonamataata said:
Just wanted to let you all know ...

My 2nd EAD is approved.
ND 02/27/2004
Receipt # EAC04104xxxxx

I got an email from USCIS saying the following:
"On May 6, 2004, after approving your application, we ordered you a new
card. Your card will be mailed to you as soon as it is ready."

We do not have columns for 2nd, 3rd etc EADs in the tracker workbook. Do we?

We don't, should we? It will increase the width of the columns, for now put it in the comments.

Hi djGC007 and edvtorres

Looks like we have the notice date around the same time .. lets keep in touch and let the other if we hear something .
Also. have you guys applied for EAD RENEWAL ?.
I am planning to do that my ( and my wife's) EAD and AP expires in JAN '05. I was contemplating apllying myself using the electronic filing but My wife and kid are planning to go on a vacation .. and I dont want to be called for finger priting in their absence, so I guess I will apply for renewal the regular way.
Thanks for your responses..and yes lets keep in touch and keep eachother updated.
NVC

Ead/ap Renewal Filing

How one can file renewal for EAD/AP electronically?

How many months before one can file renewal Electronically OR Manual?

Thanks for help!
Amit

need to add my info

I would like to add my details to the thread. Can some body can help me out in doing so,

Thanks in advance,

details:
04/01/2003 - ND - EB3 - 140/485/765/131 - concurrent
04/26/2003 - finger printing
07/20/2003 - AP approved
08/16/2003 - 140 approved
08/17/2003 - EAD approved
04/16/2004 - ND - II EAD

AP approved on 05/07/2004

RD for AP: 01/15/2004

Tried to Update spreadsheet, but not able to attach spreadsheet to the msg, could someone update the spreadsheet.

Thanks and good luck to every one

ETA-GC said:
Hey worldcitizen.

If you search the forums and also www.murthy.com there's all kinds of info on this, some of it outdated with the proposed changes for handling concurrently filed I-140 / I-485.

+Once the I-140 is approved, you have AC21 protection. Of course, this may be disappearing with the new guidlelines.

+Don't have to leave US, can appeal if case denied, can continue working on another visa if applicable (with CP you are pretty much SOL if you get denied).

+Can get EAD once I-485 filed. Can work using this (and your wife can get one too).

Also, note that to switch to CP after starting with AOS, you have to file form I-824. Depending on your consulate, you may have to wait for this to be approved before they'll start CP and this can take as long as a year now (plus the CP wait). Some consulates allow you to use an "attorney certified" I-140 which (I think) means you can start CP as soon as you have the AC I-140 done (by your attorney) and the I-824 receipt notice in hand.

Check the processing times for CP at your consolate -- at one point these were starting to take 12+ months which (especially if you have to wait for I-824) can make waiting for I-485 a better option.

And, you'd want to check about what happens to your I-485 status if you file I-824. It's possible that this is considered abandoned immediately so if you are working on an EAD, you wouldn't have this option unless you can switch to another visa while the CP takes place.

Assuming you qualify for AC21 you aren't too badly off, although the wait is obviously frustrating.

ETA

Thanks ETA for the elaborate reply.

My 140 has been approved and my 485 has been pending for more than 6 months.
So I am eligible for AC21 right? inspite of the new guidelines.

Thanks

To Eta

ETA-GC said:
Hey worldcitizen.

ETA

Thanks

I140 approved 1 month after RFE

My I140 (ND: 05/29/03) was approved on 05/07/04, 1 month after my I140 REF(Recieved date: 04/09/04) that asked for my 2001 W2 and 2001 employers tax returns.

I cannot upload the xls file. So, I am uploading the 2003.zip which is the 2003 xls zipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tracker update...

I have informed the Admin about this issue, please zip the excel and upload for now. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Tracker Update...

joyd said:
I have informed the Admin about this issue, please zip the excel and upload for now. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Excel should be enabled now :) Thanks to Admin for the quick turnaround!

I-140 Pending

All,

My receipt date is June 16, 2003 EB3 but have not received I-140 approval. My finger printing was done on April 10, 2003. No RFE either. Is anyone else in the same boat. What should I think of this delay?? Suggestion appreciated

Thanks,

worldcitizen said:

Thanks

Yes, you should be eligible under AC21 as I understand it (under the current rules) because your I-140 is approved. Hopefully you won't need to use AC21 but if you do, I'd definitely consult with an attorney to make sure this is done properly (e.g. I'm not sure how proactive you're supposed to be about letting the USCIS know if you switch away from your sponsor).

ETA

atiq72 said:
All,

My receipt date is June 16, 2003 EB3 but have not received I-140 approval. My finger printing was done on April 10, 2003. No RFE either. Is anyone else in the same boat. What should I think of this delay?? Suggestion appreciated

Thanks,

I think you could technically ask the service center to initiate an inquiry since the posted processing date (August 22) is more than 30 days past your Notice Date (this is VSC, right?). Actually, I think your lawyer / company would have to do this. That said, last time I looked at the tracker, there are many people in the same boat as you as far as not getting their I-140 approval yet, so this probably doesn't mean that you've somehow slipped through the cracks at this point.

With the new guidelines, it's possible that the latest processing dates might not apply to many people. E.g., although my ND is 10/23/03, it's quite possible that my I-140 won't be processed until the I-485 is ready so I'm not assuming that I'll get the I-140 any time soon. Hopefully we'll know more about how the VSC is proceeding soon and hopefully they'll be able to publish some meaningful processing dates.

ETA

Last edited by a moderator:
ETA-GC said:
This could possibly go in one of the "Important / FAQ" threads (if it's not there already). Here's some of them...

FP: Refers to FingerPrinting (needed eventually for the I-485)

ETA

Or, we could just have a link to http://murthy.com/glosaryd.html#E -- this is a great overview of all the immigration terms with descriptions.

ETA