landing experience

Air Canada ,, Quick Question ...

I was planning to do Canada Landing formalities in the first week of November,And planning to give my friends address in Toronto.My question is can i apply SIN in Wendsor and give my friends address(Toronto) ?

Appreciate your response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Landing doubts

AIR_CANADA,

Here is my scenario:
I am planning my landing in a couple of weeks. I have H1B visa valid until Oct-5-2006 in my passport. Extension for H1B is filed and no approval yet. So, I want to land in Canada, apply for PR & SIN numbers and come come back to US before my H1B visa expires in the passport.. I want to go by rental car. I would appreciate if you give answer the below questions.

1) When they ask whether I am moving permanently or going back to USA.....what should I tell? (If I say I am going back to USA....they may not take application for PR Card.)

2) Will it be a problem in returning to USA, because I entered canada saying that I moved permanently?

3) Do you think we can complete PR & SIN application procedures in two days? (Either Monday/Tuesday or Thursday/Friday).

4) I am going to tell them that I am moving permanantly to Canada to complete the PR card procedures.....but going on rental car. Do they ask me why I am not bringing my own car which I mention in "goods to follow later" list?

5) Otherthan PR Card and SIN.....is there anything else to apply? How about Medical card?

6) Me & my wife are landing. What is the money limit to carry? What form or money is better? Bank Statement or Bank draft? Should it be in Canadian dollars or US dollars? (ofcourse you already answered this in this forum....I am yet to go thru your posting.)

Canada1 said:
Air Canada ,, Quick Question ...

I was planning to do Canada Landing formalities in the first week of November,And planning to give my friends address in Toronto.My question is can i apply SIN in Wendsor and give my friends address(Toronto) ?

Appreciate your response.

You should be able to do that. I do not see an issue. No harm conforming at the border while landing

mystatus123 said:
AIR_CANADA,

Here is my scenario:
I am planning my landing in a couple of weeks. I have H1B visa valid until Oct-5-2006 in my passport. Extension for H1B is filed and no approval yet. So, I want to land in Canada, apply for PR & SIN numbers and come come back to US before my H1B visa expires in the passport.. I want to go by rental car. I would appreciate if you give answer the below questions.

1) When they ask whether I am moving permanently or going back to USA.....what should I tell? (If I say I am going back to USA....they may not take application for PR Card.)

No problem here . They 'll have no problems accepting your COPR . It is well understood by canadian immigration that you are not moving permanently at this time becasue you have to keep you existing job in the US and start looking for an canadian assignment. You are simply landing today because your landing papers will expire. Further , you can tell them that you are going to need atleast 6-7 months before you wind up in US.

2) Will it be a problem in returning to USA, because I entered canada saying that I moved permanently?

US Immigration is not bothered if you are moving permanently or not to any country - their basic job is to check if you have right papers to enter their country - and if you have , no one can stop you.

3) Do you think we can complete PR & SIN application procedures in two days? (Either Monday/Tuesday or Thursday/Friday).

PR work is done at the borderpost by immigration agent and SIN application can be filed anytime during working days - I dont think you should apply for medical - it might link you up with income tax issues ( though I am not sure ) which you would want avoid till you want to move permanently. FYI - I did not apply for SIN Cards also whereas most of the people do that.

4) I am going to tell them that I am moving permanantly to Canada to complete the PR card procedures.....but going on rental car. Do they ask me why I am not bringing my own car which I mention in "goods to follow later" list?

You are not telling them that you are moving permanently today ! You are only landing and will move at a later date. Rental car or your car while landing is not linked with landing ( immigration ) process . Its a ( customs ) process which you 'll complete when you finally move.

Just make sure that while landing you have entered proper vin ## and other details of your cars in your B4 ( Goods in possession) or B4E list ( goods to follow ) - Customs officer will help you put in the list where he wants it to be and will stamp back a copy foryou.

5) Otherthan PR Card and SIN.....is there anything else to apply? How about Medical card?
SEE 3
6) Me & my wife are landing. What is the money limit to carry? What form or money is better? Bank Statement or Bank draft? Should it be in Canadian dollars or US dollars? (ofcourse you already answered this in this forum....I am yet to go thru your posting
Check the figure CIC recommends in the bulletin issued with the forms - and carry a self payable cashiers check for similar amount. US $ is recommended because you 'll be bringing it back - also can carry bank letter showing funds available

Help with PR question

Hi,

I have the PR valid until Aug 2009 and I need to move to Canada by Jul 2007 to keep the status. My question is, Anybody know whether I can apply for PR again once my current PR is out of status? I live in US.

Thanks in advance,
Jom.

I dod my landing this month and applied for SIN and PR card.While applying for the SIN card the lady in that office said that the SIN card would be sent to my friend's address in 4 business days.It's almost going to be more than 3 weeks .....

Does anybody know how long does it take to get the SIN and PR card?

Thanks.

We did not receive our daughter's PR card...

sk-1 said:
I have not recieved my daugthers PR card (she is US citizen). However I have received my wife's and my PR card in 4 weeks. I am currently working in US.

Ques) What should I do to enquire about my daughters PR card? (The toll free number does not work from US)

Thanks in advance.

Hello, sk-1, did you guys receive your daughter's PR card yet? We have received PR cards for my self, my wife and my son, but we have not received my daughter's PR card. Currently I am in US and as you mentioned the phone number is not working.

Could you please let me know what you did to get your daughter's PR card?

I truly appreciate your help!!!

Thanks

Congratulations, mystatus123

Congratulations, mystatus123!!!

I am in the same stage, I just sent in my passport for stamping, am awaiting their return. Plan to land sometime later in Nov-Dec.

I have a couple of questions for you-

1. When did you send your passport to the Canadian Embassy?
2. Did you send it by mail?
3. If so, How long did it take you to get your stamped passport back?

4. Also you mention Buffalo. Was your case not transferred to a local consulate?

mystatus123 said:
I received passports from Buffalo. Thanks alot to air_canada, labor2002, whatalabor and ALL people of this forum. Not yet decided when to land. Now, I will concentrate on landing experiences forum. BEST WISHES TO ALL.

labor2002 said:
Congratulations, mystatus123!!!

I am in the same stage, I just sent in my passport for stamping, am awaiting their return. Plan to land sometime later in Nov-Dec.

I have a couple of questions for you-

1. When did you send your passport to the Canadian Embassy?
Ans: I sent passport to Buffalo on Sep 6th and received back on Sep 15th.

2. Did you send it by mail?
Ans: Yes I sent by mail.

3. If so, How long did it take you to get your stamped passport back?
Ans: It took 10 days

4. Also you mention Buffalo. Was your case not transferred to a local consulate?
Ans: No. it did not transfered to local consulate.

CIC online portal status

Thanks, mystatus123.

Also, one more question, did CIC online portal update your status from In Process to anything different once your passports were stamped?

lonely5 said:
Does anyone know what's the land border between USA & Ottowa, Ontario.

You can go to Thousand Islands - about 45 min to 1 hr drive from Ottawa or you can go to the Cornwal border - again about 1 hr drive from Ottawa.

labor2002 said:
Thanks, mystatus123.

Also, one more question, did CIC online portal update your status from In Process to anything different once your passports were stamped?

Labor2002-
I really did not checked the CIC portal after passports are stamped. By the way....I completed my Canada landing and came back to USA today....and will be posting my experience in few mins.

Landed into Canada through Rainbow Bridge at Niagara Falls

Hello All-
I landed into canada through Rainbow Bridge at Niagara Falls. Everything completed fine and returned back to USA today.

USA to Canada:
At 10 AM entered by rental car through Rainbow Bridge by paying toll $2.50. No questions or passports asked. At canada side....a lady asked "What is the reason of coming Canada". I said "I am landing as Immigrant first time". She asked whether the Car is my own. I said it is rental car. She gave me a yellow paper and said to go into immigration office. We parked our car and went into immigration office. Immigration officer called and asked our landing papers and proof of funds.....I submitted those and $8500 cashier check. After that he asked for the address in canada. I gave him an address paper. He entered the details and asked to sign in the green box of landing paper and stapled one copy to the passports and told us that we can re-enter to Canada with this paper only by road in own. And it cannot used if use flight or any commercial vehicle to enter Canada. And said that we will get the PR Cards in 6 to 8 weeks.
Next customs....I gave them two sets of Goods to follow (B4A)list....I added my car details also in that Goods to follow list (B4A). And I gave two sets of "B4 E" form only filled with my Address of canada and everything left blank. She wrote my Car details (Vin#,Model...etc) into that "B4 E" form. And she gave me back one set of papers back and left the desk immediately. We said thanks to another lady beside her and left the immigration office as everything completed fine.
After that we went to a bank and opened an account. From there we went to SIN office and applied SIN numbers. She gave us the printouts with SIN numbers and said we will get the SIN cards with those numbers in 3 to 4 weeks.

Canada to USA: We have valid H1B. At USA border....she only asked our country of origin. She took a look at our passports and visa and said we can go. We entered back to USA.DONE.

Thank you verymuch to AIR_CANADA, labour2002 & whatalabor and ALL people of this forum for helping thru their experiences and suggestions/advises.
If you have any questions....let me help you from my experience if I can.

Want to Land in Canada with my Canada PR. Help Please...

Hi,

I am a US GC holder and my wife is on H1B. We have applied for Canadian GC three years ago and we received Canadian GC last week. New York Canadian Immigration put a stamp in our passport that we must have to enter Canada before March-07. Entry is only one time single visit.

My Wife H1B expired few months ago and we got extension. But it not yet stamped in Passport. So, we want to get stamped in American Consulate at Canada so that she can able to re enter into canada.

I am at Washington DC. Dont know
1. Which American Consulate we need to fix an appt. for stamping?
2. Which is the best way to go to Canada either by Car or Flight for our Canadian Landing and get Canadian PR Card? What are the documents and how much money we need to take with us?
3. Is it true that I have to hold only one GC? When I return if they asked to surrender my American GC or Canadian GC what can i do?
4. Once at Canada what are things need to do? Which is the place I can stay?
5. Please let me know any other details if I missed.

I really thanks for your help.

Here are the answers to some of your questions.

Which is the best way to go to Canada either by Car or Flight for our Canadian Landing and get Canadian PR Card?

-- Does not matter - it's up to you.

Is it true that I have to hold only one GC?

-- Eventually you will have to give up one of them...It might create problems when (and if) you apply for the cdn/american citizenship.

Landing in CA

1. You can apply at Toronto or Ottawa, since they are the closest for you.
2. Car would be a better choice for you

Also, since you got your stamping from NY consulate, can you let me know if
(a) you applied by mail for stamping;
(b) if yes, how many days did it take between your mailing the passports and receiving the stamped passports back.

Thanks and Good luck.

RAMBR said:
Hi,

I am a US GC holder and my wife is on H1B. We have applied for Canadian GC three years ago and we received Canadian GC last week. New York Canadian Immigration put a stamp in our passport that we must have to enter Canada before March-07. Entry is only one time single visit.

My Wife H1B expired few months ago and we got extension. But it not yet stamped in Passport. So, we want to get stamped in American Consulate at Canada so that she can able to re enter into canada.

I am at Washington DC. Dont know
1. Which American Consulate we need to fix an appt. for stamping?
2. Which is the best way to go to Canada either by Car or Flight for our Canadian Landing and get Canadian PR Card? What are the documents and how much money we need to take with us?
3. Is it true that I have to hold only one GC? When I return if they asked to surrender my American GC or Canadian GC what can i do?
4. Once at Canada what are things need to do? Which is the place I can stay?
5. Please let me know any other details if I missed.

I really thanks for your help.

Address NOT accepted for PR CARD

Hi All,

I did the landing process in the month of Sept but the canada immi officer was not accepted the c/o of address for PR Card to issue. He asked me to submit the address for PR Card when i move to canada permanently.

How to submit the canada address in order to receive the PR Card?

Please advice me. I really appreciate your help.

Thx
ED