• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

Thanks. I checked and my income is above that level.
Which part of AOS sheet should I especially check for this? As my understanding its Interview Tips these are mentioned.

Thank you very much, i didnt know that we would need to have original BC. And i was waiting for permission to update the sheet i dont have access
Unfortunately, "I didn't know" will not cut it with the IO if they request to see the original and you are not able to present it. The I-485 instruction makes it clear an original document could be requested:

"You should submit legible photocopies of documents requested, unless the Instructions specifically state that you must submit an original document. USCIS may request an original document at the time of filing or at any time during processing of an application, petition, or request. If USCIS requests an original document from you, it will be returned to you after USCIS determines it no longer needs your original."

The "Interview Tips" tab of the AOS spreadsheet also calls this out by the way.

Update on my case:
bio appointment was scheduled for July 21, walk-in attempt didn't work for me
no update on my case since July 21 (according to spreadsheet INTV. WAIVE for San Antonio usually in range 1 - 31 days after biometric date, still have 10 days left)
According to yesterday discussion regarding visa quotes, today I initiated a congress inquiry.
Hopefully my case not stuck in background check, not been in countries that considered like "security risks".

At this point, you can contact the USCIS front line agent or a live agent via Emma to see if they will be willing to submit an expedite request to your FO on your behalf. The purpose of the expedite request really is to bring your case to the attention of whoever it has been assigned to, there is no guarantee they will agree to do so, but worth giving it a try. You can also initiate an Ombudsman Case Assistance - although the Ombudsman's office may come and tell you they're unable to assist unless your case as been pending for 6 months (for cases with no published processing times)
I spoke to the agent and they said there's nothing they can do "unfortunately" all I have to do is to wait. I also talked to my case worker at the congressional office, who stated she hadn't received any response back. She will submit a second follow-up email and hopefully, we will get a response.

Hi,

I updated the spreadsheet yesterday. I've still been waiting to receive my IL since June 16. I submitted a congressional inquiry a week ago but the congressman's office assistant said we hadn't received any reply from USICS and it might take weeks.

I spoke with a tier 2 agent today and asked if she can expedite the interview but she said there is no way USCIS can expedite the interview.

It seems LA FO delays many cases due to the current backlog. I tried my best to bring my case to the officer's attention but it didn't go well. Is there any other way I can try?

Hi friends. I attended my interview three weeks ago at the Newark, NJ file office. In the end, the officer told me she has to check with the Department of State to see whether there is still any visa left, but I will receive a letter within three weeks. I haven't received any letter in the mail from the USCIS yet (three weeks already passed), and also the online status still shows "Fingerprints were taken". Do you have any advice for me other than waiting? Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, "I didn't know" will not cut it with the IO if they request to see the original and you are not able to present it. The I-485 instruction makes it clear an original document could be requested:

"You should submit legible photocopies of documents requested, unless the Instructions specifically state that you must submit an original document. USCIS may request an original document at the time of filing or at any time during processing of an application, petition, or request. If USCIS requests an original document from you, it will be returned to you after USCIS determines it no longer needs your original."

The "Interview Tips" tab of the AOS spreadsheet also calls this out by the way.
Thanks, should i bring copies of documents as well? tax return, payslip would be copies,
so the interview tip indicates :
Medical record.
BC
Tax
payslips
I20s
passport
job offer
what else is needed?

Update on my case:
no update on my case since July 21 (according to spreadsheet INTV. WAIVE for San Antonio usually in range 1 - 31 days after biometric date, still have 10 days left)
According to yesterday discussion regarding visa quotes, today I initiated a congress inquiry.
Hopefully my case not stuck in background check, not been in countries that considered like "security risks".
I am at the same situation with you. Biometric date was 11th July, i am still waiting about interview or int. waive from San Antonio FO. Which country of your homeland? I wish everyone get their gc asap.

Update on my case:
Hang in there and keep your fingers crossed. Delayed background check is not just about ties to security risk countries alone. It could also be as a result of one’s field of study or line of work falling under what is known as the TAL list

I spoke to the agent and they said there's nothing they can do "unfortunately" all I have to do is to wait. I also talked to my case worker at the congressional office, who stated she hadn't received any response back. She will submit a second follow-up email and hopefully, we will get a response.
Fingers crossed for you too.

Hang in there and keep your fingers crossed. Delayed background check is not just about ties to security risk countries alone. It could also be as a result of one’s field of study or line of work falling under what is known as the TAL list
Thanks for sharing that link! My line of work falls into one of those categories… so I guess that may be why my background check is taking some time

Hi all, as a general update on my case, I initiated a congressional inquiry this week. The congressman acknowledged reception and that they have contacted USCIS, so now I am waiting for the response (which can take 30 business days).

I have also realized a few weeks ago that I missed, in my original package, one of the I-797 notices of action I have received from USCIS in the past . I had quite a lot of them and I missed one of them. I am now considering sending a copy of that document directly to the field office (where according to a tier 1 agent my case is now), and see if that can be the reason why my application is stuck since April. I know that the filed office could throw this out to the dustbin as it is unsolicited evidence (although something I failed to include in the original package and I should have done). What I wonder is if, by doing so, it may have negative consequences to the case. I do not mind if they discard the letter for being unsolicited, but worries me more a negative effect on the case.

Apart from that, time is running out (more considering some recent posts about scheduled interviews and the possibility to reach the visa quota before September 30) and somehow I feel that I have to try all I can (and that, at some point, doing nothing may pose more risk than doing something). I may be overthinking, but it has been 4 months without news and I am starting to get a bit nervous.

Thanks the forum for the continuous help

Fingers crossed for you too.
Thank you. I found new data on the 2021 timeline for my FO it seems they do send interview letters in late August and set the interview for September, there’s still hope. I will keep waiting. I hope I will have enough time to start a FTJ after.

Hi all, as a general update on my case, I initiated a congressional inquiry this week. The congressman acknowledged reception and that they have contacted USCIS, so now I am waiting for the response (which can take 30 business days).

I have also realized a few weeks ago that I missed, in my original package, one of the I-797 notices of action I have received from USCIS in the past . I had quite a lot of them and I missed one of them. I am now considering sending a copy of that document directly to the field office (where according to a tier 1 agent my case is now), and see if that can be the reason why my application is stuck since April. I know that the filed office could throw this out to the dustbin as it is unsolicited evidence (although something I failed to include in the original package and I should have done). What I wonder is if, by doing so, it may have negative consequences to the case. I do not mind if they discard the letter for being unsolicited, but worries me more a negative effect on the case.

Apart from that, time is running out (more considering some recent posts about scheduled interviews and the possibility to reach the visa quota before September 30) and somehow I feel that I have to try all I can (and that, at some point, doing nothing may pose more risk than doing something). I may be overthinking, but it has been 4 months without news and I am starting to get a bit nervous.

Thanks the forum for the continuous help
Don't bother, especially if it is not your most recent I-797 prior to filing for AOS.

Today, I contacted EMMA to see if there was any update on my case. Unfortunately, there was no update, but I asked him if he could do anything to expedite the process. He sent a service request to the USCIS field office that they should answer in 7 days. I do not have any ideas about service request things. Does it make FO to answer in an expedited way?

"This Service Request will be sent to the U.S.C.I.S. office having jurisdiction over your case. Please allow the U.S.C.I.S. office 7 days to respond to your request by email. The U.S.C.I.S. office will contact you if additional information or documentation is required. Your service request confirmation number is .........."
An update on my case, USCIS emailed me back with the following response:

"The status of this service request is:

Thank you for contacting USCIS concerning the above-referenced application. Below is a summary of what we have found and how the issue has been resolved or additional actions required.

USCIS has reviewed and approved your request for expedited processing. At this time, no further action is required from you.USCIS is committed to adjudicating immigration applications in a timely manner, efficiently and in the order received. We hope this information is helpful. If we may be of further assistance, please let us know."

I do not know whether this is a template answer or not, so I am not sure whether to be happy or not.

Hi all! New update on FTJ case

Case number AS8xxx.
Summary: My wife is currently in Japan and will be doing FTJ after I complete my AOS. DS260 submitted with that indicated as well as cover letter.
We added that in my cover letter hoping they would expedite the interview.
She already scheduled a medical check in Japan Aug16th (but it can be made earlier).

Timeline:
02/15/2022: Filed DS-260 indicating that I am doing AOS while my wife is doing CP in Tokyo
03/01/2022: AOS package sent
03/15/2022: NOA
04/18/2022: Biometrics
06/08/2022: Congressional inquiry sent , explaining the case with the FTJ and requesting an expedited interview.
06/30/2022: Email from KCC
"KCC has received payment of $330.00 for your case file. You have a case size of 2. Please send the remaining payment or provide a written statement"
Replied and got a same day generic reply about AOS process. Resent email with more clarification.
07/05/2022: Reply from KCC:
"The adjustment of status fee to the Department of State has been paid or indications on your DS-260 show that you wanted to adjust your status in the US. The payment of the adjustment of status fee indicates to KCC that you are residing in the US and wish to process your case at the local USCIS office. As a result, KCC did not continue the processing your case. To continue this case to consulate processing, please notify KCC with your request."
07/06/2022: Called USCIS to request appointment with Tier 2 agent
07/06/2022: Congressman Office received this reply:
Thank you for your inquiry June 8, 2022, regarding (Name) and the application for permanent residence/adjustment of status.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) records confirm that your constituent's case was transferred to the Phoenix Field Office, Phoenix, AZ. The case will be reviewed by an Immigration Services Officer to determine if additional information is needed or if a final adjudication can be reached. Your constituent will be notified by mail once an update is available. Your constituent can check case status on our website at uscis.gov by simply entering the receipt number listed above. Please note we are unable to provide a timeframe for the completion of this process. USCIS is mindful of the inconvenience of this matter and the case will be worked as soon as possible.

07/28/2022: Status on my USCIS changed to New Card Is Being Produced!, also received message about tier 2 agent calling within two business days.

08/01/2022: + Received NOA +Wife called embassy to inform them about case, agent requested that she email over final NOA.
08/02/2022: Original Tier 2 call request was cancelled. Called USCIS again, explained case to Tier 1 agent to request expedited Tier 2 call.
08/04/2022: Mailed out I-824 form and Submitted inquiry to Senator office, called to explain case.
08/05/2022: + Received Green Card. Received Tier 2 call, explained case to agent who forwarded inquiry to FO.
+ Wife received email from embassy Immigrant Visa division to email final NOA, resident card, phone number, address. We added Marriage certificate, Award letter, copy of passport, DS-260 (myself and hers).
08/09/2022: Received email from state department to log into dv website for an update, logging in shows a letter from KCC stating that:
"KCC has completed the processing of the case and forwarded to interviewing office, Further inquiries should be addressed to the interviewing office" and "An appointment has been scheduled for you at the US embassy stated below (Tokyo)" on the 14th of September.
DS-260 page changed to show that case was now at Tokyo.

Just wanted to update everyone! I am hopeful that this means that everything is set and that the interview will go well for my wife and that we can reunite soon!

Will keep the forum updated. Good luck everyone and stay hopeful! 12 days ago my case was stuck at "biometrics taken"!

Thanks @Sm1smom for all the help/advice so far.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think FTJ cases are assigned a visa in the same way that CP cases are. I based that assumption on a couple of super last minute FTJ cases we have seen in the forum in previous years. However, to play it safe, contact Tokyo and see if you can get an earlier appointment, since visas could end up being in short supply.

IN fact, this is a general thought. I remember in my own AOS case, I was current in June, but my FO wanted to "bundle" a number of cases together and in the end I had my interview on September 2. For those of you still processing AOS this year, just remember that AOS cases, unlike CP cases do not have a visa pre-allocated to them. The math is showing that visas will be in short supply in September, so if you have any influence over your process, try and get your AOS cases done by early September.

Hi!
My wife and I have filed two I-485s. The first one was over a year ago based on my pending NIW application. The second one was based on DV that we filed in May (my wife is the principal applicant) after we gave up on waiting for getting my NIW application gets approved.

Finally, after almost 19 months, my NIW got approved. At the same time, an interview was scheduled for our DV cases. We attended the interview last week in LA FO and our application status has been "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed" since then. The officer was very friendly and the interview went very well. He didn't even ask any questions about our pending AOS based on EB2-NIW. I expected that he asks about the other pending AOS cases as my wife used her Combo card last year and traveled outside the US due to a family emergency and entered the US as a parolee. The officer just confirmed that she is a parolee and was fine with the immigration status of both of us (I'm on F1 status). At the end of the interview, the officer told us that he doesn't make on-the-spot decisions, especially since he has not received an original file (I guess from KCC), and we should wait up to a month.

We planned to withdraw our AOS-NIW cases after our AOS-DV cases get approved; however, the officer has not approved our DV cases yet. Today, the status of our I-485s based on NIW has been changed to "Case Was Transferred And A New Office Has Jurisdiction". This update seems reasonable as my NIW got approved a few weeks ago. However, it raised a few questions for me:
1- I was wondering if these two parallel AOS cases may have any impacts on each other.
2- Is it possible that both of the AOS cases get approved?
3- Should we do anything at this point? e.g., contacting USCIS and making them aware of our situation.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
1. Most likely your DV based AOS application IO requested for the NIW immigration file. This is quite normal when there are multiple applications in the system at the same time.
2. Nope, they will not approve both AOS cases, only one will be approved. The second one will subsequently get denied after a while if not withdrawn.
3. You do not need to do anything. The decision makers are already aware of your situation.
Hi @Sm1smom!

We received the transfer notices for our NIW-based AOS cases a couple of days ago. The notice mentions that in order to speed up processing, USCIS transferred the application to NBC (our NIW-based AOS cases were in the Nebraska center).

1- According to the mentioned reason in the notices, I was wondering if you think that it is still likely our DV-based AOS application IO requested for the NIW immigration file.

2- Our interview was almost two weeks ago, and we have not received updates on DV-based AOS cases since then. The IO told us that we may need to wait up to a month. Considering these, I was wondering if you think submitting a congressional inquiry can be helpful at this time.

Thank you!

Hi all! New update on FTJ case

Case number AS8xxx.
Summary: My wife is currently in Japan and will be doing FTJ after I complete my AOS. DS260 submitted with that indicated as well as cover letter.
We added that in my cover letter hoping they would expedite the interview.
She already scheduled a medical check in Japan Aug16th (but it can be made earlier).

Timeline:
02/15/2022: Filed DS-260 indicating that I am doing AOS while my wife is doing CP in Tokyo
03/01/2022: AOS package sent
03/15/2022: NOA
04/18/2022: Biometrics
06/08/2022: Congressional inquiry sent , explaining the case with the FTJ and requesting an expedited interview.
06/30/2022: Email from KCC
"KCC has received payment of $330.00 for your case file. You have a case size of 2. Please send the remaining payment or provide a written statement"
Replied and got a same day generic reply about AOS process. Resent email with more clarification.
07/05/2022: Reply from KCC:
"The adjustment of status fee to the Department of State has been paid or indications on your DS-260 show that you wanted to adjust your status in the US. The payment of the adjustment of status fee indicates to KCC that you are residing in the US and wish to process your case at the local USCIS office. As a result, KCC did not continue the processing your case. To continue this case to consulate processing, please notify KCC with your request."
07/06/2022: Called USCIS to request appointment with Tier 2 agent
07/06/2022: Congressman Office received this reply:
Thank you for your inquiry June 8, 2022, regarding (Name) and the application for permanent residence/adjustment of status.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) records confirm that your constituent's case was transferred to the Phoenix Field Office, Phoenix, AZ. The case will be reviewed by an Immigration Services Officer to determine if additional information is needed or if a final adjudication can be reached. Your constituent will be notified by mail once an update is available. Your constituent can check case status on our website at uscis.gov by simply entering the receipt number listed above. Please note we are unable to provide a timeframe for the completion of this process. USCIS is mindful of the inconvenience of this matter and the case will be worked as soon as possible.

07/28/2022: Status on my USCIS changed to New Card Is Being Produced!, also received message about tier 2 agent calling within two business days.

08/01/2022: + Received NOA +Wife called embassy to inform them about case, agent requested that she email over final NOA.
08/02/2022: Original Tier 2 call request was cancelled. Called USCIS again, explained case to Tier 1 agent to request expedited Tier 2 call.
08/04/2022: Mailed out I-824 form and Submitted inquiry to Senator office, called to explain case.
08/05/2022: + Received Green Card. Received Tier 2 call, explained case to agent who forwarded inquiry to FO.
+ Wife received email from embassy Immigrant Visa division to email final NOA, resident card, phone number, address. We added Marriage certificate, Award letter, copy of passport, DS-260 (myself and hers).
08/09/2022: Received email from state department to log into dv website for an update, logging in shows a letter from KCC stating that:
"KCC has completed the processing of the case and forwarded to interviewing office, Further inquiries should be addressed to the interviewing office" and "An appointment has been scheduled for you at the US embassy stated below (Tokyo)" on the 14th of September.
DS-260 page changed to show that case was now at Tokyo.

Just wanted to update everyone! I am hopeful that this means that everything is set and that the interview will go well for my wife and that we can reunite soon!

Will keep the forum updated. Good luck everyone and stay hopeful! 12 days ago my case was stuck at "biometrics taken"!

Thanks @Sm1smom for all the help/advice so far.
Great job by all standards, and I wish you well.
@Sm1smom and @SusieQQQ is there anything that one can do to expedite an FTJ while awaiting a USCIS interview, apart from filing a congressional inquiry? I am assuming in the question that while awaiting an AOS interview, one could petition the Office of the Congressman to engage an embassy on one's behalf. I may be wrong though.