• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

I am lost on the USCIS fee payment for 1225 USD. I will try to find out if any company sells 1 money order up to 1225 but if they don't exceed 1000 then I do not want to take the risk as USCIS intrustions say "You must submit all fees in the exact amounts." I just don't know.

I heard about cashier's check, but do you know if any US bank sells them to non-customer people like me? (I tried to open a bank account here in the US but I just can't due to my proof of address.)

If you can guide me more, I will really appreciate it. @Sm1smom @equilibreme
You've misunderstood the instruction. When they say "You must submit all fees in the exact amounts", this is with regards to sending in the exact payment, not more, not less. It is not about requiring using a single leaflet form of payment. You can submit two money orders in the sum of $1,000 and $225 each. You wouldn't be the first person to do this.

Does having a unique name and multiple background checks by DOS and FBI (that were processed quickly) mean (or at least suggest) that the security check done by USCIS for AOS will not be delayed?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Does having a unique name and multiple background checks by DOS and FBI (that were processed quickly) mean (or at least suggest) that the security check done by USCIS for AOS will not be delayed?

Thank you!
May be, and may be not.

You do realize you would have to redo the medical in the country of interview, and pay the DV fee again at the embassy, right?

By the way, many embassies will probably have their DV interview slots for the year filled pretty soon, likely within the next month, and they’re not going to drop everything they’re doing to try fit in a last minute change. As mom says, it’s playing with fire trying to change to CP at this stage.
Thank you both (@SusieQQQ and @Sm1smom) for such informative responses!
Only after reading the responses I realized that I formulated my Q#4 a bit ambiguously: what I meant to ask is whether after a potential denial within AOS process you can reapply and get the same case reviewed under CP process. Thank you again!

Only after reading the responses I realized that I formulated my Q#4 a bit ambiguously: what I meant to ask is whether after a potential denial within AOS process you can reapply and get the same case reviewed under CP process. Thank you again!
No you can't, you only have one shot. The decision via whichever process is final.

Do i required a lawyer to follow my case or i can do the steps myself if so could any one guide me how to start, also how long the process take to reach the interview and how much it take ,

1. No, my response did not suggest the new I-134 is not applicable to AOSers, you have completely misunderstood what I wrote. Anyway, you and your sponsor should just go ahead and use the new I-134, it is as simple as that. If your interview will happen on or after June 27th, the old I-134 will no longer be valid, especially if it was not originally included with your AOS package (I'm assuming you already submitted your AOS package and did not include an I-134?).
2. Well, that is the intent since you are using it to support your application as a permanent residence, and not for a temporary visit. Anyway, the I-134 is not legally enforceable. It also does not mean your sponsor will be supporting you per se, you do plan on working and supporting yourself, right? So it does not mean "the sponsor will have to support (you) indefinitely", not unless you do plan on not working and being dependent on the government or your sponsor for support.
3. It is not necessary if you have some other means of demonstrating you're not likely to become a public charge should your IO require you to do that.
Thank you for your response! When you said that I134 is not legally enforceable, do you mind talking more about this? My sponsor is having hesitation on filing this form for me because for him it sounds like he is financially liable to support me indefinitely....

Do i required a lawyer to follow my case or i can do the steps myself if so could any one guide me how to start, also how long the process take to reach the interview and how much it take ,
This is a DIY forum, majority of the folks here are processing AOS without the aid of a lawyer. You decide on your own if you want to pay some lawyer to fill out the forms and submit the application on your behalf - that is pretty much how a lawyer may be able to assist you. And I will be frank with you by the way, considering you just planning on entering the US at the end of July, I do not see how you can successfully complete the process, lawyer or not.

Anyway you need to go through the AOS Process Spreadsheet, which I already recommended you do in my previous response to you yesterday. It seems like you never did considering the questions you're now asking today. I will drop the link to that document below (same link above), go through it like others have done if you really want to understand what the AOS process entails:

AOS Process Spreadsheet

Thank you for your response! When you said that I134 is not legally enforceable, do you mind talking more about this? My sponsor is having hesitation on filing this form for me because for him it sounds like he is financially liable to support me indefinitely....
The I-134 is not legally binding on the sponsor as demonstrated by 3 court rulings, the form does not represent a legal contract hence the non-enforceability by any agency from whom an immigrant has obtained public benefits which they are not eligible for, it however represents a moral obligation. You can go through this Form I-134 FAQs for more details. You may also want to share it with your sponsor by the way for re-assurance.

No, they specifically mention this somewhere in the manual. If there has been a denial during AOS it can’t be remedied in a follow up CP process.

I am done filling the I-485 form, but as I am typing in the form in the pdf, it does not let me write "N/A" and gives error because of the "/" saying "enter only letters, space and hyphen". I tried copy and paste the N/A but it didnt work. I do not want to handwrite this form as my hand writing is terrible :) Anybody has an idea? I am using the newest version from USCIS site.
Same thing with status on I94 question, I cannot for example put F1 because it does not allow numbers in there, says "Enter only letters and space"
Thank you @Sm1smom

Last edited:
I am done filling the I-485 form, but as I am typing in the form in the pdf, it does not let me write "N/A" and gives error because of the "/" saying "enter only letters, space and hyphen". I tried copy and paste the N/A but it didnt work. I do not want to handwrite this form as my hand writing is terrible :) Anybody has an idea? I am using the newest version from USCIS site.
Same thing with status on I94 question, I cannot for example put F1 because it does not allow numbers in there, says "Enter only letters and space"
Thank you @Sm1smom
Open the pdf from adobe reader. Then go to Edit-->Preferences. Then on left hand side you will see Java Script tab. Click there and untick the Enable Javascript option and click OK. Now you can write what ever you want, but stick to the correct ones ;)

Hi all, we are from Ukraine and my husband (main applicant DV-2022) was in the US when the war started. We decided him to file for AOS in the US. He paid fee 330$ to KCC, then fee- 1340$ for I-485 form, and later send expedite request in order me and our son will have time to make a follow to join at the consulate out of the US. Today the officer from USCIS called our lawyer to say that they will expedite our case, but we need to pay 330 dollars fee for me (wife) and for the child and send money order to KCC. I don’t understand how is this possible if we are not in the USA and we don’t apply for AOS? Or may be it's connected with our future procedure "Follow to join"? Please, has anyone got such requirements? What purpose of payment should we write in the transmittal letter as it won't be adjusting of status for us? And what address should we write in the transmittal letter as we are out of the US? Isn't it a mistake to pay 330$ fee for family members out the US? Our lawyer can't explain us if its correct. We are afraid to do smth wrong.
Upper is the beginning of our story about request of IO to pay fees for family members who are living overseas USA.
According the kind advice of @Sm1smom we wrote a letter for USCIC :"Family members living overseas will pay the diversity immigrant visa fees at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where they will receive their visa. The fee for these family members must not be paid in the United States", but IO tells us once more as we applicated DS-260 all together (husband-main applicant+me-wife+son), so now we should pay fee 330$ for every family member, because without those receipts DHS does not give IO our case and he cannot invite husband to the view...

I'm worried that if we pay $330+$330 AOS fee, my son and me won't be able to pass follow to join procedure at the US Embassy, which is much less expensive and also much faster now.

After we send $330+$330 we will be transferred to AOS, and this is wrong, because we are not currently in the US and dont have the US adress obviously. In addition, if we send receipts USCIS would recognize it as we all adjust status in the US and call us, respectively, together for the interview. Which is not going to happen till USCIS gets I-485 for each family member otherwise there will be no interview for anyone.
If in theory they arrive in the US then we will have to start the whole process over again. Send separate I-485s get invited for the fingerprints but there is simply no time for this as we have to pass interview till September 30.

In my opinion, it is correct, logical and in accordance with the instructions for me to go through AOS, and FTJ to them. I also don't understand how you can pay AOS for family members who are not in the US, when STATE.GOV is absolutely clear that we don't need to do this.

Please help me as I don't understand what to do next. We are completely confused.

Thank you for your support ,i will read the speard sheet well and do the process without lawyer , I am planning to enter usa at 16 of July ,please if this time is not enough to complete the process let me know to stop that plan, shell i start send to KCC asking about 2NL or i should wait untill be inside usa

Upper is the beginning of our story about request of IO to pay fees for family members who are living overseas USA.
According the kind advice of @Sm1smom we wrote a letter for USCIC :"Family members living overseas will pay the diversity immigrant visa fees at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where they will receive their visa. The fee for these family members must not be paid in the United States", but IO tells us once more as we applicated DS-260 all together (husband-main applicant+me-wife+son), so now we should pay fee 330$ for every family member, because without those receipts DHS does not give IO our case and he cannot invite husband to the view...

I'm worried that if we pay $330+$330 AOS fee, my son and me won't be able to pass follow to join procedure at the US Embassy, which is much less expensive and also much faster now.

After we send $330+$330 we will be transferred to AOS, and this is wrong, because we are not currently in the US and dont have the US adress obviously. In addition, if we send receipts USCIS would recognize it as we all adjust status in the US and call us, respectively, together for the interview. Which is not going to happen till USCIS gets I-485 for each family member otherwise there will be no interview for anyone.
If in theory they arrive in the US then we will have to start the whole process over again. Send separate I-485s get invited for the fingerprints but there is simply no time for this as we have to pass interview till September 30.

In my opinion, it is correct, logical and in accordance with the instructions for me to go through AOS, and FTJ to them. I also don't understand how you can pay AOS for family members who are not in the US, when STATE.GOV is absolutely clear that we don't need to do this.

Please help me as I don't understand what to do next. We are completely confused.
I am really curios about what moderators will say on this again. But it is clear from the USCIS official website, only the ones in the US doing the AOS should pay. It is clear in the below notes. Maybe they changed the rule in the Fee Schedule and not updated everything here?

"You, the selectee in the United States, must pay the diversity visa fee for yourself and for each member of your immediate family also in the United States who plans to adjust status with you here."

"Family members living overseas will pay the diversity immigrant visa fees at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where they will receive their visa. The fee for these family members must not be paid in the United States. Please consult the Fee Schedule for the most current fee information."

Can anybody let us know, if you did AOS only for yourself, your family members didn't do AOS and you only paid the KCC fee for yourself and things worked out just fine? I am in the same situation and would like to know if something has changed.
Thank you everyone and @Sm1smom

Couple of questions for you:
1. When you decided to switch to AOS, did you unlock your DS260 to note this change? Did you indicate your family will be processing FTJ while you file for AOS, or you just went ahead and filed AOS without informing KCC?
2. Did you or your lawyer include the link I provided you with when you responded to the IO or you just responded with the quote without including the link?
3. Which FO has jurisdiction over your case?
4. What does your lawyer recommend you do at this point?

Meanwhile, you need to email KCCDV@state.gov and inform them you are the only one processing AOS, and that your derivatives will be processing FTJ. Hence the payment for one person was made as required. Request they release your file to your FO as requested in order to enable you complete the AOS processing following which your family members will go through FTJ and make the payment at the embassy as required. Remember to include PA Name, Case number, and Date of Birth (MMDDYYYY) with your correspondence. Also, do include the link I earlier on provided you with when emailing KCC.

Thank you for your support ,i will read the speard sheet well and do the process without lawyer , I am planning to enter usa at 16 of July ,please if this time is not enough to complete the process let me know to stop that plan, shell i start send to KCC asking about 2NL or i should wait untill be inside usa
I cannot tell you if you should email KCC now or wait until after you've entered the US before contacting KCC as that would amount to me aiding and abetting your attempt at entering the US with the preconceived intent of filing for AOS, which I already explained to you is frowned upon (in my first response).