• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

Hello guys, i hope its not too late to seek info / advice. I submitted my AOS package last weel of September 2021. I have done biometrics already and i have also received interview letter for December. What should i expect? I have been here on B1 visa pending asylum.
I hope that won’t be the case. Do you have an idea how interview would be like?
DV2021? You can expect the case to be denied at the end of the day. The FY for DV2021 cases ended on Sept. 30th, 2021.

Hello everyone! I urgently need your advice.
Two months ago I moved to America for work (with J1 visa) and I asked for the unlock of my Ds-260 to be able to update the various information about it (new home address, visa etc).
I did not change the embassy of Naples because my intention was to return to Italy for the final interview, to avoid further changes and waste of time with other documents.

Yesterday, however, I received an email from KCC for the adjustment of status, as if I had requested it or if it was something automatic. Has anyone ever been in this situation?
In the email it says that I should pay a fee of 330 dollars but I have to wait for my number to be current.
Do I always have to take account of the European bulletin or do I now have to consider some other bulletin?

Or can I ignore the request and wait for the email for the interview in Naples?

Thank you!
If you’re not planning on switching over to AOS, you need to respond to that email and clarify to KCC that you’re processing CP, and not AOS. You also need to send in your documents to KCC if you’re processing CP by the way.

Hi all,

A quick question. Do we need to provide color photocopies of the original documents in the AOS package or are the black and white copies sufficient?
also when submitting certified translations, do we need to include the original certified translation in the AOS package or the copies of the certified translation?

If you’re not planning on switching over to AOS, you need to respond to that email and clarify to KCC that you’re processing CP, and not AOS. You also need to send in your documents to KCC if you’re processing CP by the way.
Thank you so much for the reply!
Do you think it is not a problem if I go ahead with the processing CP or could I have some issues? I had already sent my document for the processing CP (I received the kcc email asking for this doc on September) when I had to ask for the unlock of the ds260 to change my status and add info about my J1 visa. So in theory they already had to know my intention to go ahead with the CP.

Anyway, if I change my mind and decide to go ahead with the adjustment of status, what I have to do? How long is the process and what type of documents I should do? Is it possible or maybe I’ll waste time since the time to obtain these docs could be long? Furthermore, where I could Do this process in Dallas? Which is the main Uscis’s building?

thank you so much!

You only look at your eligibility region, which is in your CN. Is your country of eligibility Italy? Then you only look at the rank cut off for the EU region.

That is if you are doing AOS and if your CN is current. You can of course pay that fee now, but it will show an immigration intent (although, in your case it does not matter, as you have already shown it by filling DS-260).

In general, it is not a good idea to fill DS-260 until you are sure that your number will become current, as it shows an immigration intent and will make it harder to get a non-immigrant visa later.

Also, make sure if you are subjected to the 2-year home country stay because of your J-1 visa.

Regarding the email, maybe others can comment better, but AFAIK, KCC is the one that sends your files to the embassy (in your case consulate?). So I think you shouldn't just ignore it.
Thank you for the reply!
Your thinking is absolutely correct and clear but if you don’t submit your ds260 as soon as you know to have won the lottery, you can’t go ahead with the other steps. So in theory we can’t consider this idea with the green card lottery.

Anyway, this is exactly my trouble. If I decide to go ahead with the adjustment of status, how long does this process take? What type of document I need? And also, where I can pay this fee (300) if I only have a mail address? Do I have to go to the bank?

Thank you so much for the reply!
Do you think it is not a problem if I go ahead with the processing CP or could I have some issues? I had already sent my document for the processing CP (I received the kcc email asking for this doc on September) when I had to ask for the unlock of the ds260 to change my status and add info about my J1 visa. So in theory they already had to know my intention to go ahead with the CP.

Anyway, if I change my mind and decide to go ahead with the adjustment of status, what I have to do? How long is the process and what type of documents I should do? Is it possible or maybe I’ll waste time since the time to obtain these docs could be long? Furthermore, where I could Do this process in Dallas? Which is the main Uscis’s building?

thank you so much!
1. I can’t tell you if you’ll have issues with processing CP or not. You’ll need to decide on your if sticking with CP is the way to go or not. You can take a look at the pros and cons of AOS vs CP which can be found on the AOS process spreadsheet - see the first post on page one of this thread for the link to the referenced spreadsheet, or my signature portion of this post for the link.
2. You’ll need to inform KCC you wish to switch from AOS to CP. Take a look at the AOS process spreadsheet, you’ll find detailed guidance and step by step guide on processing AOS.

p.s. number your questions when you have more than one in a post.

edited to provide a direct link to the AOS process spreadsheet

Last edited:
Hi, I am in the US with valid F1 visa, also i have the EAD. I've been selected in the DV 2022. My questions here are: 1- should i wait for my number on the visa bulletin ? Or i apply for AOS before that so i get my appointment on that month?
2- is there an average time between i apply and my appointment, and my appointment and getting the Green Card?
3- i already have my EAD expires after 6 months, so when i fill AOS, should i apply for the work permit again or what should i do in this case?
Thank you

Hi, I am in the US with valid F1 visa, also i have the EAD. I've been selected in the DV 2022. My questions here are: 1- should i wait for my number on the visa bulletin ? Or i apply for AOS before that so i get my appointment on that month?
2- is there an average time between i apply and my appointment, and my appointment and getting the Green Card?
3- i already have my EAD expires after 6 months, so when i fill AOS, should i apply for the work permit again or what should i do in this case?
Thank you
1. Your CN has to be below the number listed on the VB (either under the current month section or the advanced section of the VB for early filing option)before you become eligible to file for AOS.
2. Take a look at the both the current DV2022 Timeline spreadsheet and previous years’ Timeline spreadsheets to get an idea of the average processing time - links to previous years’ Timeline spreadsheets can be found on the AOS process spreadsheet.
3. You can apply for a DV based EAD with your AOS application if you like. However, bear in mind the EAD card may end up being useless because of the processing time involved - you may receive your GC before or at the same time as the EAD card.

I recommend you go through the AOS process spreadsheet to ensure you understand what the AOS process involves and help you better prepare

Hi all,

A quick question. Do we need to provide color photocopies of the original documents in the AOS package or are the black and white copies sufficient?
also when submitting certified translations, do we need to include the original certified translation in the AOS package or the copies of the certified translation?
1. B&W is sufficient
2. IMO, a certified translation is not like a government issued document. TBH, there shouldn't be much difference b/w the original and the copy value-wise.

Hi Mom and all,

Hope you all enjoying the holidays. :)
I am preparing I-485 form and package and I have two questions .

1) In I-485 form part 2, 2. it ask "Are you applying for adjustment based on the Immigration and Nationality Act", I have selected “No” but in the side Note it says I should select yes if I am in Diversity immigrant category. I am little confused. Should I select NO?
2) When sending birth certificate, marriage certificate and certified translated birth certificates, is it ok to send all copies from originals. Or should I send original certified translated document.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Mom and all,

Hope you all enjoying the holidays. :)
I am preparing I-485 form and package and I have two questions .

1) In I-485 form part 2, 2. it ask "Are you applying for adjustment based on the Immigration and Nationality Act", I have selected “No” but in the side Note it says I should select yes if I am in Diversity immigrant category. I am little confused. Should I select NO?
2) When sending birth certificate, marriage certificate and certified translated birth certificates, is it ok to send all copies from originals. Or should I send original certified translated document.

Thank you in advance.
1. The correct answer is NO, unless you’re ineligible to file for AOS in which case you select YES. You’ll need to fill out Supplement A to I-485 in addition in that case.
2. Copy of each document in the original language they were issued in plus the certified translation.

1. The correct answer is NO, unless you’re ineligible to file for AOS in which case you select YES. You’ll need to fill out Supplement A to I-485 in addition in that case.
2. Copy of each document in the original language they were issued in plus the certified translation.
Thank you very much..!

Hi everyone
I am an international student currently on F-1 OPT status. I got selected for the DV 2022 program and I have a few questions.
1. How early do I have to submit the DV administrative fee.
2. I submitted the DS-260. am I supposed to receive an email after that?

1. How early do I have to submit the DV administrative fee.
Generally, you'd want to wait until you know your number will be current to submit both DS-260 and the fee. Both are considered showing immigration intent and will affect future NIV applications should you not receive the GC.

2. I submitted the DS-260. am I supposed to receive an email after that?
I never received an email. Just saved the confirmation page as suggested.

Hello Mom and all. I am collecting documents for my package and I am just wondering what others have done for the bank statements. Because you can download all the monthly statements online by your self or get one from the bank by paying 10$ for what they call verification letter. Will just downloaded bank statements for checking and saving account will be sufficient ? Sorry for the silly question.

Thank you in advance.

Hello Mom and all. I am collecting documents for my package and I am just wondering what others have done for the bank statements. Because you can download all the monthly statements online by your self or get one from the bank by paying 10$ for what they call verification letter. Will just downloaded bank statements for checking and saving account will be sufficient ? Sorry for the silly question.

Thank you in advance.

I just sent my own downloaded/printed bank statements. I was never asked about them. If I had known I could get a more official one from the bank for $10, for the sake of peace of mind I probably would have gotten that to bring to the interview. But don't delay your package over something like that. It definitely will not be rejected for using your own print outs and they are probably all you're going to need.

I just sent my own downloaded/printed bank statements. I was never asked about them. If I had known I could get a more official one from the bank for $10, for the sake of peace of mind I probably would have gotten that to bring to the interview. But don't delay your package over something like that. It definitely will not be rejected for using your own print outs and they are probably all you're going to need.
Thank you very much for your valuable advice.. Appreciate it..

Hello,
I was selected in the DV AS16xxx and have a couple of questions,
1-I have an L1 visa, the visa and the stamp on my passport are expired but I filed for extension of stay and received the I-797 approval notice along with a new I-94. does that make me eligible for AOS or should I travel back to my country and renew the visa on my passport?
2-And as for the documents such as the copies of police and birth certificates, I can get those online in PDF format would it be sufficient to print them out and send them with the AOS package or should I get them certified/stamped from the issuing authority?

Thanks

Hi Sm1smom,

My CN is 2022AS14xx. Based on Visa Bulletin, I think I can file during November 2021. My question is that will it make a problem for me if I file my AOS application in December 2021?

2. I had a parking ticket for $75. Should I select Yes for question 25 in part 8?
25. Have you EVER been arrested, cited, charged, or
detained for any reason by any law enforcement official
(including but not limited to any U.S. immigration
official or any official of the U.S. armed forces or U.S.
Coast Guard)?

3. For 2nd NL, should I print both the email text and attached file to the email or only the attached file to the email?

Thank you very much,