• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

Hello everyone,
I have a few doubts about form I-485. thought of asking here to get your insight.

1. regarding the employment history on part 3, I have only worked for 1 employee. Should I need to put N/A and None for the employee 2 and employee 3 sections?

2. on Part 4, My parents have not changed their names ever. So should I have to put N/A on item 2.a - 2.c on part 5?

3. I am single and never married so part 5 item 1 I checked on the box single, never married. Even though it clearly indicates that I never married do I still need to write N/A and NONE to all the relevant fields on 'information about current marriage' and 'information about previous marriages

4. for Part 6, I don't have any children, So I fill out N/A and NONE to all the fields on the children 1 already. Do I need to repeat this on children 2 and children 3?

5. I am filling this form on my own so there is no interpreter and preparer. in this case is it recommended to put N/A and None to all the relevant fields on part 11 and part 12? (the same question applied again to form I-134, and Form I-693 since I am not having an interpreter or preparer)

Thank you!

Hello everyone,
I have a few doubts about form I-485. thought of asking here to get your insight.

1. regarding the employment history on part 3, I have only worked for 1 employee. Should I need to put N/A and None for the employee 2 and employee 3 sections?

2. on Part 4, My parents have not changed their names ever. So should I have to put N/A on item 2.a - 2.c on part 5?

3. I am single and never married so part 5 item 1 I checked on the box single, never married. Even though it clearly indicates that I never married do I still need to write N/A and NONE to all the relevant fields on 'information about current marriage' and 'information about previous marriages

4. for Part 6, I don't have any children, So I fill out N/A and NONE to all the fields on the children 1 already. Do I need to repeat this on children 2 and children 3?

5. I am filling this form on my own so there is no interpreter and preparer. in this case is it recommended to put N/A and None to all the relevant fields on part 11 and part 12? (the same question applied again to form I-134, and Form I-693 since I am not having an interpreter or preparer)

Thank you!

1-4. Put N/A

5. You can leave it blank.

Hello everyone, brief question. Would you say this is the proper way for me to fill the SSN part on the I-485 form? (Part 1 #14-17).
I already have a SSN but just want to verify with the DV community.

Thanks everyone :)

Leo

1630811888794.png

Can I say "No" to #17 if I don't want a new card? What is the purpose of getting a new card if I already have one?
Does your present card say either NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT or VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION ?
If so you presumably want one that does not have any such restrictions, which is the one you’ll get as a green card holder.

Thanks for this great resource! The spreadsheet has been particularly helpful in outlining the process and expected timeframes. I wanted to check that I understood the process correctly ... Assuming I am eligible to process via AOS and my case number is going to become current, if I choose not to submit a DS-260 form, I think the first action that I need to take is to pay the DV administrative fee. Is that correct?

Thanks for this great resource! The spreadsheet has been particularly helpful in outlining the process and expected timeframes. I wanted to check that I understood the process correctly ... Assuming I am eligible to process via AOS and my case number is going to become current, if I choose not to submit a DS-260 form, I think the first action that I need to take is to pay the DV administrative fee. Is that correct?
Correct. It suggested for people to submit this when they are sure their number will become current since it is a non refundable payment. But first step is paying the DV Administrative Fee.

You want a new SS card issued, because it won’t have the same restrictions as the existing one you have.
Thanks for the explanation. Since I was not aware of this situation, when I filled my DS-260 there was a section with the same questions:

1) Do you have a SS card: YES

2) Do you need a new card issued: NO <--- Should I reach out to them so they can unlock my form and I can make that correction?

Thanks

Leo

Thanks for the explanation. Since I was not aware of this situation, when I filled my DS-260 there was a section with the same questions:

2) Do you need a new card issued: NO <--- Should I reach out to them so they can unlock my form and I can make that correction?

Thanks

Leo
DS260 section is not relevant for AOS.

Thanks

Leo

2. NO is fine as an answer.

Just to clarify. You will not be issued with a new SS card automatically once you’ll get your GC. You need to contact a social security office and schedule an appointment to have your card replaced.

2. NO is fine as an answer.

Just to clarify. You will not be issued with a new SS card automatically once you’ll get your GC. You need to contact a social security office and schedule an appointment to have your card replaced.
Outdated info. The new i485 form does in fact result in a replacemenf SS card being issued if you ask for one. Mom posted about this recently too.

USCIS announced today that applicants filing for lawful permanent resident status are now able to apply for a Social Security number (SSN) or replacement card as part of the adjustment of status application process.
After approving Form I-485,in most cases USCIS will electronically transmit the data to the Social Security Administration. Upon receiving the data, the Social Security Administration will automatically assign an original SSN or issue a replacement card, as appropriate.”

Outdated info. The new i485 form does in fact result in a replacemenf SS card being issued if you ask for one. Mom posted about this recently too.

USCIS announced today that applicants filing for lawful permanent resident status are now able to apply for a Social Security number (SSN) or replacement card as part of the adjustment of status application process.
After approving Form I-485,in most cases USCIS will electronically transmit the data to the Social Security Administration. Upon receiving the data, the Social Security Administration will automatically assign an original SSN or issue a replacement card, as appropriate.”

I’m sorry, I was not aware of that. Thank you @SusieQQQ!

Does your present card say either NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT or VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION ?
If so you presumably want one that does not have any such restrictions, which is the one you’ll get as a green card holder.
Yes, it says VAlID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION. I will ask for a new one. Thank you so much.

Hello everyone! Your advice is very necessary. We arrived in April on a US tourist visa. The visa was issued for six months, until October 18. In May, we learned that my husband had won the green card lottery 2022, the number is small - 4400. That is, most likely our number will be available in November. We took several paid consultations from lawyers and were told that we can apply for a change of status here in the United States without leaving for Russia. The most important thing is that at the time of sending the documents to change the status, we were still in the status as tourists, and then you can just wait for an interview. But then a girl friend said that at the time of the interview itself, we should be in status. So it is not clear who is right .. On the uscis website, I could not find a specific answer to the question. Perhaps someone had a similar situation and you know specifically whether we can submit documents while we are in status, and at the time of the interview, be not in status. Thank you all in advance!

Hello everyone! Your advice is very necessary. We arrived in April on a US tourist visa. The visa was issued for six months, until October 18. In May, we learned that my husband had won the green card lottery 2022, the number is small - 4400. That is, most likely our number will be available in November. We took several paid consultations from lawyers and were told that we can apply for a change of status here in the United States without leaving for Russia. The most important thing is that at the time of sending the documents to change the status, we were still in the status as tourists, and then you can just wait for an interview. But then a girl friend said that at the time of the interview itself, we should be in status. So it is not clear who is right .. On the uscis website, I could not find a specific answer to the question. Perhaps someone had a similar situation and you know specifically whether we can submit documents while we are in status, and at the time of the interview, be not in status. Thank you all in advance!
Your question is not easy. Up to my knowledge you should be on status when you are applying for AOS (I-485) , that is very important, otherwise your application will not be accepted. If your number will not be current till the date you stated October 18, I suggest that you should return to your home country and do consular processing.

Hello everyone:

I am in the process of completing the I-485 form. I need your advice on Part 2. Application Type or Filing Category part.

I have asylum-approved status. Should I select:

1.d. Asylee or Refugee -- Asylum Status (INA section 208), form 589 or form I-730

or

1.g. Additional Options -- Diversity Visa Program

Your help is appreciated.