• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

I am not a lawyer or expert in this area, just based on logical assumptions I do not expect them to wait until our bio is done and then start the BG check. In my view, albeit they claim differently, they start the BG check right after when our package is delivered and they see our application. Especially during the pandemic, many cases would fail if they do it after bio. BTW, I have the same feeling/belief about BG check of visa applications too.
Initial background check gets done before the bio completion, yes. However, there are additional checks that gets initiated following the bio appointment also. Most people who already cleared the initial background check tend to clear the additional checks following the bio capture within a very short period of time. The captured prints gets run through the system to ensure there are no other undisclosed names matching an applicant's prints that could be linked to some criminal activities.

My OPT expires in 5 days since I could not find a job. I know this is going to be considered as a likelihood of being a public charge but my uncle is sponsoring me, plus, the public rule is no longer in effect. Will this have any other negative impact during the interview?

My OPT expires in 5 days since I could not find a job. I know this is going to be considered as a likelihood of being a public charge but my uncle is sponsoring me, plus, the public rule is no longer in effect. Will this have any other negative impact during the interview?
Public charge consideration is still very much in effect. What is no longer in effect is the Self Sufficiency requirement. If someone is providing you with an I-134, yes that will be enough to help you overcome public charge concerns should the IO have any such concern.

* GREEN CARD DELIVERED TODAY *

Happy to report my GC arrived in the mail today!

Q for anyone who has also received their card - is it normal to just have an initial (instead of a complete middle name) included on the front of the card? (Just want to make sure I don't have to correct anything!) :)

Feels great to finally be closing this stressful little life chapter - wishing everyone still going through the process the very best too!

Q for anyone who has also received their card - is it normal to just have an initial (instead of a complete middle name) included on the front of the card? (Just want to make sure I don't have to correct anything!) :)

Feels great to finally be closing this stressful little life chapter - wishing everyone still going through the process the very best too!
Congratulations.

Yes, I think it's normal I have it in the same way

Congrats mate!

will you be out of status on your interview day?

Public charge consideration is still very much in effect. What is no longer in effect is the Self Sufficiency requirement. If someone is providing you with an I-134, yes that will be enough to help you overcome public charge concerns should the IO have any such concern.
Thank you for the clarification Mom!

Our case updates:

My wife (main applicant) has received her letter with a green card today (7 days after the interview). We saw all the updates on her case (card being produced -> case was approved -> postman picked the card -> card delivered. As for me, no card, I saw just two changes (card being produced -> case was approved). Just wondering is it normal processing or should I start worrying?

Last edited:
Pending is not a status. For example, you can't file an i-539 anymore, because you don't have a status (in 4 days, though).

@Shilaesf He is out of status, but as far as the IO is concerned, what matters is his status when submitting his AOS application. Should he have an issue getting his GC on time, he needs to leave the country.

Wait! I did not know this. My OPT expires on August 30. Does this mean I will be accruing illegal presence after that date regardless of the ongoing AOS process?

I thought AOS keeps me from being out of status unless my case is denied.

Wait! I did not know this. My OPT expires on August 30. Does this mean I will be accruing illegal presence after that date regardless of the ongoing AOS process?
No!

@ishmog You are either on status or out of status OR you have an application filled and submitted in a timely manner before you went out of status. You can legally stay in US while your application is pending, but it is not a status that you can initiate another change of status from.

Last edited:
it is normal

Feels great to finally be closing this stressful little life chapter - wishing everyone still going through the process the very best too!It is no

Our case updates:

My wife (main applicant) has received her letter with a green card today (7 days after the interview). We saw all the updates on her case (card being produced -> case was approved -> postman picked the card -> card delivered. As for me, no card, I saw just two changes (card being produced -> case was approved). Just wondering is it normal processing or should I start worrying?
I am asking because I was thinking that green cards for all family members should be processed and sent at the same time. It kinda makes sense. But it seems that it's not the case.

Pending is not a status. For example, you can't file an i-539 anymore, because you don't have a status (in 4 days, though).

@Shilaesf He is out of status, but as far as the IO is concerned, what matters is his status when submitting his AOS application.
thanks @Blade_ for clarification, my assumption was, one should be within status until the end of September :)

Yes. The full name should (unless very long) be printed on the back of the card.