• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Unfortunately, replacement card takes several months. I know 7 months is a long time to stay unemployed, but if you guys were still on OPT, she wouldn't be eligible to work for the next 7 months, right? So instead of seeing the glass as half empty, how about seeing it as half full?
1. Does your wife already have a SSN?
2. Did you guys apply for an EAD?
Thanks, you are right we have to thanks God that at least one of us can continue to work.
1. No
2. No
IDK if we apply it may take longer than 7 months. Plus do we have to send the card with typo? when we field the I90 they just asked us to upload photos but it did not say that we should send the it. TIA

Thanks, you are right we have to thanks God that at least one of us can continue to work.
1. No
2. No
IDK if we apply it may take longer than 7 months. Plus do we have to send the card with typo? when we field the I90 they just asked us to upload photos but it did not say that we should send the it. TIA
Yeah, it may indeed take longer than the quoted 7 months. Is this a USCIS error or can the error be traced back to the I-485 you guys submitted? They will let you know if you need to send in the current card.

Will she be able to get employment by showing the I551 stamp on her passport? TIA
She is authorized to work with the I-551. However, some employers may refuse to accept the I-551 stamp simply because they are limited in their knowledge of immigration matters. She will need to apply for a SSN first before she can undertake authorized employment. She should be able to apply for the SSN with the I-551, however some SSN offices/personnel have also been reported to have refused to acknowledge or recognize the I-551 stamp in place of the GC itself.
Nonetheless, I agree with Susie's above recommendation to get the I-551 stamp pending the replacement GC. Contact USCIS to schedule an INFOPASS to enable her get the I-551 stamp.

My interview experience:
This forum helped me a lot and I think sharing my experience may help other ppl. Thanks to everyone, especially Simon.

My case has been approved today. Right after my interview, and my status changed to "new card is being produced". I had no bio appointment and they recorded everything right before the interview, do not worry if you have no bio appointment.

My interview was at 7;15 AM. They opened the door right at 7 AM and everyone went to a security check, just like airports. Then my officer called me and started talking. There was a little document shortage, I am currently on an F1 visa and the officer hadn't my I20, I am sure that I put it into my package though. It is better to have a copy of everything with you while you go to the interview.

After the oath, he asked about my job, I am a research assistant as a Ph.D. student and the officer did not know what does that mean, I explained and he got cleared. Then he read the I-485 questions one after the other, but not all of the questions, and I answered in the shortest and the most direct way. Then he said I'm gonna approve your case today and you will receive your GC in a week.

Note: My officer thought I am on an OPT, make sure your officer knows the nature of your job if you are a research assistant during your Ph.D. study. I needed to explain that it is an on-campus job and you cannot work outside of the University, and also you obtain credit by working in the lab just like the way you obtain credit in coursework.

The interview is really easy, do not worry! they are nice and understanding.

Wish you all the best.

My interview experience:
This forum helped me a lot and I think sharing my experience may help other ppl. Thanks to everyone, especially Simon.

My case has been approved today. Right after my interview, and my status changed to "new card is being produced". I had no bio appointment and they recorded everything right before the interview, do not worry if you have no bio appointment.

My interview was at 7;15 AM. They opened the door right at 7 AM and everyone went to a security check, just like airports. Then my officer called me and started talking. There was a little document shortage, I am currently on an F1 visa and the officer hadn't my I20, I am sure that I put it into my package though. It is better to have a copy of everything with you while you go to the interview.

After the oath, he asked about my job, I am a research assistant as a Ph.D. student and the officer did not know what does that mean, I explained and he got cleared. Then he read the I-485 questions one after the other, but not all of the questions, and I answered in the shortest and the most direct way. Then he said I'm gonna approve your case today and you will receive your GC in a week.

Note: My officer thought I am on an OPT, make sure your officer knows the nature of your job if you are a research assistant during your Ph.D. study. I needed to explain that it is an on-campus job and you cannot work outside of the University, and also you obtain credit by working in the lab just like the way you obtain credit in coursework.

Wish you all the best.
Congrats!

So you did your bio before the interview, then attended the interview and got approved on spot? (I'm assuming you've had another biometrics for your OPT sometime in the past; right?)

My interview experience:

Wish you all the best.
Seeing how you have benefited from this forum, can you add your case to the timeline spreadsheet to enable others benefit from you also?

She is authorized to work with the I-551. However, some employers may refuse to accept the I-551 stamp simply because they are limited in their knowledge of immigration matters. She will need to apply for a SSN first before she can undertake authorized employment. She should be able to apply for the SSN with the I-551, however some SSN offices/personnel have also been reported to have refused to acknowledge or recognize the I-551 stamp in place of the GC itself.
Nonetheless, I agree with Susie's above recommendation to get the I-551 stamp pending the replacement GC. Contact USCIS to schedule an INFOPASS to enable her get the I-551 stamp.
Thank you

Congrats!

So you did your bio before the interview, then attended the interview and got approved on spot? (I'm assuming you've had another biometrics for your OPT sometime in the past; right?)
yes, they did the bio right before the interview. Plus, I am on an F1 visa, not an OPT.

Seeing how you have benefited from this forum, can you add your case to the timeline spreadsheet to enable others benefit from you also?
Hi, I asked for access two or three times and received no access email. Would you please send it to me?

And, thank you for all your help. This forum is amazing.

Hi, I asked for access two or three times and received no access email. Would you please send it to me?

And, thank you for all your help. This forum is amazing.
Yes you asked and I responded by telling you what you needed to do, but you didn't follow up with any of the recommended options. I never said I was sending you an email, you need to request the access.

WOW!
Super fast BG check clearance! Can't still process this in my mind
I am not a lawyer or expert in this area, just based on logical assumptions I do not expect them to wait until our bio is done and then start the BG check. In my view, albeit they claim differently, they start the BG check right after when our package is delivered and they see our application. Especially during the pandemic, many cases would fail if they do it after bio. BTW, I have the same feeling/belief about BG check of visa applications too.