• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I had grown tired of all the paperwork that I've had to file over the last 10 years across 1xL-1, 5xE-3, and 2xH-1B visas and entered the DV lottery in 2020 and 2021. Like you all, I was selected for DV2021, however, to complicate the journey, Hong Kong special status was revoked and the lawyers I had asked didn't have a good answer on whether my selection would be "grandfathered" in. In any case, I bit the bullet an engaged a lawyer to support my application.

On Tuesday, as a result of a congressional case work inquiry, I was informed by the senator's staff that the IO/FO determined that the interview could be waived. I didn't believe it so I actually went and checked the case status and asked live chat and both confirmed that a Green Card was in production. Case status flipped over to Approved overnight and the next day there was a USPS tracking number... I'm expecting my GC in the mail in the next few days!

Like you all, it has been a process... mostly a nervous waiting game. I did not receive my bio appointment letter until late July for a mid-August appointment. There was also no sign that an interview was being scheduled, so I had been following up with online chat (about once a week since mid July) and my lawyer had separately filed a inquiry with the ombudsman and requested a tier 2 follow up.

Once I completed my biometric appointment, I checked again with online chat to see whether an interview had been scheduled and it hadn't. With the tier 2 and ombudsman inquiry still outstanding and a little over a month remaining in the fiscal year, I felt that it was not unreasonable to reach out for congressional inquiry/case work support/constituent services from the senator's office.

I contacted the senator's office and spoke with a really nice person who took my details and asked me to explain the urgency of the situation and after the weekend they sent me several forms to complete. I don't know what the usual turn around time is, however, I sent the forms back on Monday after business hours and by noon on Tuesday she had filed an inquiry with USCIS. By close of business Tuesday afternoon, she had gotten back to me that the IO can choose to waive the interview, and that they had done that. USCIS also indicated that the FO only received the case a few days ago and were coordinating with KCC on transferring paperwork/information and that the remaining administrative steps should be complete over the next few days and the application would be adjudicated before the end of the fiscal year.

So imagine my surprise when the case status flipped over to card production after I checked that evening!

I can only speak from my own experience and situation, however, and while I have some doubt that asking for "Help with a federal agency" from a congressperson helped move the case forward, they were able to give me the information I was looking for. If I can give any advice, I would say, don't just file the forms with constituent services or send an email, try and speak to a person, particularly given we are starting to run out of time.

Good luck to everyone still waiting and hang in there!

I have requested access to the spreadsheet and will fill in my dates for anyone who is interested.

That should suffice. Shows when you applied, and when the card was issued. Ideally, you should have had the card, but I believe w/ that IO can figure it out.

PS: Try adding the receipt number into your my USCIC account. See if it shows the application's history. If so, IO will be able to confirm the same info w/ that receipt as well.
Having the receipt to demonstrate OP applied for OPT when they became eligible doesn’t necessarily demonstrate OP wasn’t out of status after that point. OP should find documentation to demonstrate they departed from the US within the required time period once they were not able to secure employment as required.

I had grown tired of all the paperwork that I've had to file over the last 10 years across 1xL-1, 5xE-3, and 2xH-1B visas and entered the DV lottery in 2020 and 2021. Like you all, I was selected for DV2021, however, to complicate the journey, Hong Kong special status was revoked and the lawyers I had asked didn't have a good answer on whether my selection would be "grandfathered" in. In any case, I bit the bullet an engaged a lawyer to support my application.

On Tuesday, as a result of a congressional case work inquiry, I was informed by the senator's staff that the IO/FO determined that the interview could be waived. I didn't believe it so I actually went and checked the case status and asked live chat and both confirmed that a Green Card was in production. Case status flipped over to Approved overnight and the next day there was a USPS tracking number... I'm expecting my GC in the mail in the next few days!

Like you all, it has been a process... mostly a nervous waiting game. I did not receive my bio appointment letter until late July for a mid-August appointment. There was also no sign that an interview was being scheduled, so I had been following up with online chat (about once a week since mid July) and my lawyer had separately filed a inquiry with the ombudsman and requested a tier 2 follow up.

Once I completed my biometric appointment, I checked again with online chat to see whether an interview had been scheduled and it hadn't. With the tier 2 and ombudsman inquiry still outstanding and a little over a month remaining in the fiscal year, I felt that it was not unreasonable to reach out for congressional inquiry/case work support/constituent services from the senator's office.

I contacted the senator's office and spoke with a really nice person who took my details and asked me to explain the urgency of the situation and after the weekend they sent me several forms to complete. I don't know what the usual turn around time is, however, I sent the forms back on Monday after business hours and by noon on Tuesday she had filed an inquiry with USCIS. By close of business Tuesday afternoon, she had gotten back to me that the IO can choose to waive the interview, and that they had done that. USCIS also indicated that the FO only received the case a few days ago and were coordinating with KCC on transferring paperwork/information and that the remaining administrative steps should be complete over the next few days and the application would be adjudicated before the end of the fiscal year.

So imagine my surprise when the case status flipped over to card production after I checked that evening!

I can only speak from my own experience and situation, however, and while I have some doubt that asking for "Help with a federal agency" from a congressperson helped move the case forward, they were able to give me the information I was looking for. If I can give any advice, I would say, don't just file the forms with constituent services or send an email, try and speak to a person, particularly given we are starting to run out of time.

I have requested access to the spreadsheet and will fill in my dates for anyone who is interested.
Congratulations enjoy your summer time now

Having the receipt to demonstrate OP applied for OPT when they became eligible doesn’t necessarily demonstrate OP wasn’t out of status after that point. OP should find documentation to demonstrate they departed from the US within the required time period once they were not able to secure employment as required.
You’ll need to have documentation confirming you departed from the US as required once you were unable to secure employment in order to demonstrate you never overs stayed your authorized stay.
Yes I have them departed stamped..

True that.

Congratulations! Nice to see a fellow E-3 visa holder / Aussie getting approved too :) Amazing result re the congressional phone inquiry - you really hit the jackpot there!

Congrats to you too! Looks like Oceania is over-represented in the tracking spreadsheet too haha... around 10% of AOS.
Wow I hadn't realized that! I keep thinking there must be a bunch of ppl back home unable to get interviews right now thanks to state govt lockdowns. Lucky we were both able to file for AOS in the US instead of consular processing in Oz! Btw out of curiosity who was your local senator? They really came through for you :)

Wow I hadn't realized that! I keep thinking there must be a bunch of ppl back home unable to get interviews right now thanks to state govt lockdowns. Lucky we were both able to file for AOS in the US instead of consular processing in Oz! Btw out of curiosity who was your local senator? They really came through for you :)

It sucks for those going through CP that are having their interviews cancelled and I guess we were lucky to be in the right place at the right time... that said, things were a little sketchy here a year ago and I had considered going back to Australia/Hong Kong to go through CP.

Honestly, it's hard to tell which or whether the inquiry or any other requests/inquiries made a difference.

Everything ended up happening at the same time. When I clicked send on the email with my privacy release forms to the senator's office, not 5 minutes later, I got a call back from a tier 2 agent who agreed to escalate my case to the FO. The next morning, I got the email from the FO which indicated that they already had my case and were working on it, therefore no escalation was necessary.

At that point, I was going to send an email to the senator's office to share that I had received an update from the FO and to basically save the follow up for another time... but she responded saying that they had made the inquiry as I was drafting my note to her. As that ship had already sailed, I left it alone and got great news that afternoon.

I'm certainly no expert and I have no relationship with the Senator Hassan or her staff, so I don't know whether they simply inquired, or explained and impressed upon the IO/FO the "urgency" of my situation (which the IO/FO likely understand anyway re: end of fiscal year). I did get lucky speaking to someone from the senator's office who genuinely wanted to help. When they followed up immediately after the weekend, I was definitely hopeful she could be a miracle worker! While I can't attribute what led to the approval or interview waiver, I do give credit to this forum, my own immigration attorney, and the senator's office for the outcome.

I had to fight the urge to escalate because you only get so many chances and you don't want to blow them on something of little consequence. So if there's any advice out from my process, use the tier 2 and congressional escalations wisely and try and speak to someone rather than just sending an email when you reach out to your congressperson's office ... It could be the difference between someone prioritizing your case vs. getting to it when they get to it.

Hi Mom,

In the list of documents to bring with me at the interview (attached to my interview letter) it is included "a completed Form G-325A, "Biographic information". I see from previous responses that such a form is not required for AOS anymore.

Can you confirm that there is no need to bring a filled Form G-325A with me at my interview?

Thanks!

Hi Mom,

In the list of documents to bring with me at the interview (attached to my interview letter) it is included "a completed Form G-325A, "Biographic information". I see from previous responses that such a form is not required for AOS anymore.

Can you confirm that there is no need to bring a filled Form G-325A with me at my interview?

Thanks!
Previous response to similar questions in the past still stands.

We pretty much had a similar situation like @SELisa being denied, reopened, RFE except we actual went to the FO on 8/10, face to face with IO go through every single question on I-485, correcting some errors, drove 200 miles after interview to ASC for biometric. After a week later we sent our bio receipt to FO today because you know so worry..

But finally in the afternoon today, the status change to "New card is being produced"
This is a long journey but finally made it.
Much thanks for all AOSer here especially @Sm1smom @Blade_ @SELisa and many many.
Congratulations!! So happy for you! :D

Ok, thank you Mom.

Also, I see that they ask a copy of the I-485. Is that necessary or they already have the original copy at their hands?
I’d just bring whatever they ask for. A copy of the I-485 is definitely recommended, so you can follow along when the IO goes through the form.