Pending Asylum Case for over 4 years and waiting for Interview

Becky007

Hi Everyone!
Since 2016 my family and I have been waiting an asylum interview. They scheduled our interview before COVID-19 hit then canceled it. I was hoping to expedite our case but I’m now sure how or whether I should do it. What should I do? It’s been a too many years! And our asylum office is in San Francisco.

Send your interview notice to the asylum office (have your lawyer do it) and ask for a reschedule. They will give you another appointment. Let me know how it goes because I plan to do the same thing once I get fingerprinted.

Send your interview notice to the asylum office (have your lawyer do it) and ask for a reschedule. They will give you another appointment. Let me know how it goes because I plan to do the same thing once I get fingerprinted.
I have done that. But we haven’t seen any progress. I’m hoping they will reschedule it soon. I’ll update you if anything happens. Having a bad lawyer doesn’t help that’s why I’m trying to find another way to expedite this case.

I have work permit. But I have been waiting for my interview since 2016. They said they will reschedule it but nothing has changed.
I didn’t know you could get a work permit while asylum is still pending. Good to know. For me I’ve been waiting 5 years to adjust status from asylee. It’s a very long process and covid making it more difficult. Let’s hope for the best!

I didn’t know you could get a work permit while asylum is still pending. Good to know. For me I’ve been waiting 5 years to adjust status from asylee. It’s a very long process and covid making it more difficult. Let’s hope for the best!
Of course you can get a work permit. Once we moved to the state the first thing we did was applying for work permit and our asylum case. You have to renew your work permit every two years but the ASYLUM case is dragging. We can get through this I hope we can find a way to expedite our case for the interview.

Of course you can get a work permit. Once we moved to the state the first thing we did was applying for work permit and our asylum case. You have to renew your work permit every two years but the ASYLUM case is dragging. We can get through this I hope we can find a way to expedite our case for the interview Or your adjustment.

We just got our interview scheduled

that's awesome

Can you share how you contacted the asylum office and how you exactly did you request an appointment?
How long did it take them to respond? How far in advance did they send you a notice for interview?

Thanks

Congratulations and wish you all the best going forward, at this point its obvious the interview process has no definitive timeline, so called LIFO is a joke. i applied in 2017 April and no interview yet so it looks like they pick interviews at random. All the best again and God bless.

Hi Everyone!
Since 2016 my family and I have been waiting an asylum interview. They scheduled our interview before COVID-19 hit then canceled it. I was hoping to expedite our case but I’m now sure how or whether I should do it. What should I do? It’s been a too many years! And our asylum office is in San Francisco.
I understand your pain, anxiety and the emotional toll associated with it.

that's awesome

Can you share how you contacted the asylum office and how you exactly did you request an appointment?
How long did it take them to respond? How far in advance did they send you a notice for interview?

Thanks[/QUOTE
Sure!
- Email you lawyer ( I have a health issue so that kind of helped me to get my interview)
-if you have anything that can help you with your case please mention it to you lawyer (we made that mistake 4 years ago but I guess everything happens for a reason)
- Reach out to the asylum office, call them or email them. They will reply.
-you can expedite your case by going to the site (I didn’t really have to do that but it’s helps)
I’ll update you!

Last edited:
Congratulations and wish you all the best going forward, at this point its obvious the interview process has no definitive timeline, so called LIFO is a joke. i applied in 2017 April and no interview yet so it looks like they pick interviews at random. All the best again and God bless.
If you have anything that can expedite your case please mention it to your lawyer. Maybe family issue back home, health issues anything. And thank you so much, now I have to pass the interview!

5 years for adjustment of status??!! Why?? It shouldn't take that long. There is something wrong/.

Hi Becky
What is your filing date? Mine is Nov 3rd
I am going to complete 4 years without an Interview. Only EAD renewed.
I wait a long. thanks

I applied at April 2016, still waiting for interview @San Francisco office
Same year. But what really helped us is reaching out to the lawyer and gave him an evidence to fasten our case. So please don’t wait find something to show your lawyer so that they can reach out to them. I swear to got they replied in a day. You have to keep in mind that SF office don’t really have many asylum applicants and also you can even reach out to them.