• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

hello @Britsimon @Sm1smom !
I recently got selected for 2021 dv lottery. Please take a look at my profile below:
-Case#: 2021AS———36XX
-From Nepal currently in US in F-1 visa
-Will graduate in August 2020 and then will join a MS program here at US beginning fall 2020 (already accepted)
-current visa expired on 06/05/2020 but passport is active until 2025 and current I-20 valid until 2024
-no criminal records
-good academic performance (gpa 3.5+)
My question is, which one in between AOS and CP would you suggest for my case?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!

Congratulations on your DV selection and on maintaining a good GPA.

I can’t tell you which option is better for you. You need to review the AOS process spreadsheet, go through the pros and cons tab to figure out which process best suites your needs/situation.

Hi Mom,

I just won the DV2021 entry.

1. I am currently on a valid F1 visa and STEM OPT status. My F1 visa expires in July 2020 but will have my STEM OPT EAD until end of 2021. Going for a green card interview will happen after July 2020 (when my F1 visa expires) . Am I still considered in status and eligible for AOS while on my STEM OPT EAD ?

2. My CN is 26*** . Is this considered a high or lower CN?

Thank you very much for your help!

1. Your visa expiration date has no bearing on the process. If your OPT STEM expires before your CN becomes current and you have no other valid status (which is different from visa expiration date on your passport), you will not be AOS eligible.

2. Your CN is meaningless without the region listed.

Congratulations on your DV selection and on maintaining a good GPA.

I can’t tell you which option is better for you. You need to review the AOS process spreadsheet, go through the pros and cons tab to figure out which process best suites your needs/situation.

Thank you for your response! I just saw that spreadsheet and it's very detailed. Superb job!!
By the way, would you consider a case number of 3600 as a high/low case number with respect to waiting times through AOS? Have you heard of any cases on this range number that didn't get processed until after sep 30(assuming that an applicant did all the paper work correctly but just missed on the waiting game)?

1591637768403.png
How do I interpret this information for Nepal? Does this mean an applicant(dv 2020) from Nepal who have a case number below 13,500 can schedule an interview with either CP or AOS in July? or in other words only those who have case numbers less than 13500 are CURRENT for Nepalese selects?
Thanks!

Thank you for your response! I just saw that spreadsheet and it's very detailed. Superb job!!
By the way, would you consider a case number of 3600 as a high/low case number with respect to waiting times through AOS? Have you heard of any cases on this range number that didn't get processed until after sep 30(assuming that an applicant did all the paper work correctly but just missed on the waiting game)?

There’s a tab on the spreadsheet called “Timeline” - there are several timeline spreadsheets in that section which information on when people became current, filed, got interviewed, got GC, etc. That should give you an idea.

View attachment 1690
How do I interpret this information for Nepal? Does this mean an applicant(dv 2020) from Nepal who have a case number below 13,500 can schedule an interview with either CP or AOS in July? or in other words only those who have case numbers less than 13500 are CURRENT for Nepalese selects?
Thanks!

The current VB is applicable to DV 2020 candidates only. And yes, your interpretation is current. While the rest of AS region is current, selectees chargeable to Nepal are still limited. Those chargeable to Nepal must be below 13,500 in order to file AOS or to have a CP interview scheduled by the KCC.

Whatever you do, make sure you’re in a valid status as at the time of filing AOS. Also, be aware USCIS regularly updates the forms on their website. So if you feel out your forms several months before filing, you may end up with outdated forms which will be rejected when sent in.

Thank you for your advice. I just hope Trump does not put a ban on OPT next year or else I'm screwed!

1. Your visa expiration date has no bearing on the process. If your OPT STEM expires before your CN becomes current and you have no other valid status (which is different from visa expiration date on your passport), you will not be AOS eligible.

2. Your CN is meaningless without the region listed.

My region is AS. AS00026*** . Wondering if this is considered high or lower so I can better estimate when to file DS260. Thanks.

My region is AS. AS00026*** . Wondering if this is considered high or lower so I can better estimate when to file DS260. Thanks.

AS26xxx could be on the high side. We’ll have a better idea in the next couple of months for the total number (breakdown) of selectees gets released.

Dear Sm1smom,

Thank you for creating this thread for DV-2021. I just read the whole spreadsheet and I must say that this is truly a work of dedication. It brings a lot of clarity to the whole process.

My Case Number is: 2021AF00029XXX

Here is how I intend to go through the process as per my current situation:

1. Submit the DS-260 in about 2-4 months ( make sure everything is correct).
2. Start preparation to fill out all forms ( I-485, I-944 etc) and assess all requirements in details.
3. Monitor Visa Bulletin starting October 2020.
4. Based on previous years timeline, I think my case could become current in May, June or July. (just a guess.. could be later).
5. I'm planning to file my AOS packet 2 months in advance (Policy Memo).

I'm an international student (F-1 Visa). My entry visa expires in December 5, 2020. However, I'm graduating in May 2021. My student status can be maintained by extending my I-20 till my graduation date.

After I graduate, I may remain in the United States for not more than 60 days (grace period) after my student program end date which means I will have to leave by the end of June 2021.

However, I'm planning on applying for my OPT to extend that duration and find an internship meanwhile. This will allow me to stay in the U.S for the length of time that it takes to go through the AOS process.

Please let me know if my plan is viable. More importantly, I need to know whether applying for OPT during the grace period might hinder the application process. Other tips and recommendations will be helpful. Thank you so much for your contribution.

Mom is the expert here, but just to point out that step 1 should be delayed. There is no advantage of doing that early, and it declares immigrant intent. Do step 1 later (in 2021)

Mom is the expert here, but just to point out that step 1 should be delayed. There is no advantage of doing that early, and it declares immigrant intent. Do step 1 later (in 2021)

Thank you for the advice Britsimon. I found this forum and the spreadsheet thanks to your blog post on AOS.

I'm gonna submit the DS-260 in 2021 like you said. I just wanted to make sure that it does not put me in any risk.

According to this website:
immigrationinto.us/diversity-visa-lottery-2021/apply-for-your-visa-delaying-your-application#bottom-navigation

"Some people submit their DS-260 later because they need more time in their home country to take care of things. Doing this is permitted.
But the later you submit, the more risk you take. The supply of Visa Numbers can then be exhausted before it is your turn."

I don't think that's true since it depends on when it's my turn to file based on my case number and the Visa Bulletin.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice Britsimon. I found this forum and the spreadsheet thanks to your blog post on AOS.

I'm gonna submit the DS-260 in 2021 like you said. I just wanted to make sure that it does not put me in any risk.

According to this website:
I don't think that's true since it depends on when it's my turn to file based on my case number and the Visa Bulletin.

Never heard of that website. They clearly don’t seem to understand that visa issuance is spread over the year so if you lose out to visa issuance by delaying DS submission (rather than CN cutoff) that only could happen if you submit like June or later next year. You’re not planning leaving it anywhere that late because you’re smart enough to be here and on britsimon‘s website.

Never heard of that website. They clearly don’t seem to understand that visa issuance is spread over the year so if you lose out to visa issuance by delaying DS submission (rather than CN cutoff) that only could happen if you submit like June or later next year. You’re not planning leaving it anywhere that late because you’re smart enough to be here and on britsimon‘s website.

Exactly!

I'm so glad I found this forum and Britsimon's website. There is a lot of inaccurate and out of date information on other websites.

Thank you so much for creating this spreadsheet
My CN is 2021AF00014***,so when is it appropriate to fill the DS-260 form

I'm so glad to see this years AOS thread! Thanks Mom for starting it, for being there for people and for the DV related info you have documented on the link above. Over the year I'll be directing people here to get help because you are the number one expert on DV related AOS matters.

Although, I didn't make it this time. I really appreciate how yourself and Mom are really helping people. I hope people realize how invaluable your contributions are ...

Hi @Sm1smom . @Britsimon advised me to send a q your way! Really grateful to have found all this info you're so kindly sharing.

My case
I am in the US on a non-extendable J visa. From what I can tell, if numbers from previous years are an indicator, I am super lucky with a low case number (around 2021EU00004000) and might go current in November this year. My visa also expires in early November, and has a 30-day grace period taking me up to December 10, 2020. So it seems like that would be cutting it really tight in terms of staying in status throughout the process, if it is at all feasible. I know from the AOS package you put together that I will need to prove I have kept in status at all times.

My questions
Is there something I can do to avoid going out of status while I wait to be seen, like filing an EAD I-765? From what I have read here it seems like that would not likely come through quickly enough to make a difference. Am I better off to go for Consular Processing? Or if I choose AOS when I submit the DS-260 and don't get an appointment quickly enough, can I later switch to CP?

Thank you for your time and generosity!

Kevin

Hi @Sm1smom . @Britsimon advised me to send a q your way! Really grateful to have found all this info you're so kindly sharing.

My case
I am in the US on a non-extendable J visa. From what I can tell, if numbers from previous years are an indicator, I am super lucky with a low case number (around 2021EU00004000) and might go current in November this year. My visa also expires in early November, and has a 30-day grace period taking me up to December 10, 2020. So it seems like that would be cutting it really tight in terms of staying in status throughout the process, if it is at all feasible. I know from the AOS package you put together that I will need to prove I have kept in status at all times.

My questions
Is there something I can do to avoid going out of status while I wait to be seen, like filing an EAD I-765? From what I have read here it seems like that would not likely come through quickly enough to make a difference. Am I better off to go for Consular Processing? Or if I choose AOS when I submit the DS-260 and don't get an appointment quickly enough, can I later switch to CP?

Thank you for your time and generosity!

Kevin

What would be the basis of the I-765? You can’t file an I-765 solely for the purpose of remaining in status and in isolation. If you’re still in status as at when USCIS officially accepts your AOS package, you’ll be okay even if your current status expires while AOS application is pending. The only time that may be an issue is if your AOS gets denied for some reason, you’ll have no fall back status and will need to depart from the US immediately.