• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump’s New Executive Action - Travel Suspension

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
US suspends travel to Europe: Trump is suspending all travel from Europe (with the exception of UK) to the US for the next 30 days, beginning Friday at midnight. Travel restriction applies to all with exception for certain Americans “who have undergone appropriate screenings."

No details yet as to how this will be implemented - more to come!

Nope, not considered a LPR until actually admitted - prior to admission, you’re a foreign national with an IV.

Is there anything stopping people taking the train to the UK and then flying out? It seems too obvious a loophole.
edit: 14 days in the uk then they can fly? (“determined that it is in the interests of the United States to take action to restrict and suspend the entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the Schengen Area during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States”).

How likely do you think other countries will be added? We were going to vacation in the UK before going to the US, but changing plans now as the way things are going in the UK is scary as well...

Is there anything stopping people taking the train to the UK and then flying out? It seems too obvious a loophole.
edit: 14 days in the uk then they can fly? (“determined that it is in the interests of the United States to take action to restrict and suspend the entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the Schengen Area during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States”).

The Proclamation says:
“An alien who circumvents the application of this proclamation through fraud, willful misrepresentation of a material fact, or illegal entry shall be a priority for removal by the Department of Homeland Security.”

How likely do you think other countries will be added? We were going to vacation in the UK before going to the US, but changing plans now as the way things are going in the UK is scary as well...

Anything is possible with the current administration.

The Proclamation says:
“An alien who circumvents the application of this proclamation through fraud, willful misrepresentation of a material fact, or illegal entry shall be a priority for removal by the Department of Homeland Security.”
But it specifies 14 days since being in schengen, so as long as that’s met it shouldn’t be a problem.

But it specifies 14 days since being in schengen, so as long as that’s met it shouldn’t be a problem.

Yes it does. Interpretation of the proclamation and subsequent admission will be at the discretion of CBP, so let’s hope they apply it correctly.

My thoughts on this -

Thanks Simon. Having the difficult conversations with my husband now. There are four of us to fly from Auckland to Honolulu and back if we want to do a weekend activation trip. It’s a massive expense when we consider the flights we booked to Europe that we won’t get any money back on, and then the eventual flight to Chicago. Too risky for just me to go as the main applicant? I’m guessing yes.

Thanks Simon. Having the difficult conversations with my husband now. There are four of us to fly from Auckland to Honolulu and back if we want to do a weekend activation trip. It’s a massive expense when we consider the flights we booked to Europe that we won’t get any money back on, and then the eventual flight to Chicago. Too risky for just me to go as the main applicant? I’m guessing yes.

Not sure why you think it’s to risky for only you (if you’re the principal selectee) to go now. As the principal selectee, you can enter the US with or ahead of your family. It just means you’re the only one that will be considered a LPR after your admission if you go that route. The rest of your family will not be LPRs until they’re also admitted.

Not sure why you think it’s to risky for only you (if you’re the principal selectee) to go now. As the principal selectee, you can enter the US with or ahead of your family. It just means you’re the only one that will be considered a LPR after your admission if you go that route. The rest of your family will not be LPRs until they’re also admitted.
In Simon’s video he talks about a message from someone in Australia who is booked to go to the US in April to activate their visa. We’re in that boat, but from NZ. He suggested going earlier if you can to activate visas just in case in six weeks time your country is added to the list of countries on the travel ban. If I go by myself, say next weekend, and I become an LPR, will it mean my family can travel with me in six weeks’ time to activate their visas, even if we’re on travel ban? Or will they be let through when travel ban is over because I’m an LPR? Or is that a risky move and do we *all* need to go activate visas ASAP? This is what I meant. I realise NZ has five virus cases currently, all of which have now recovered, but it could all be different in six weeks. I agree with what Simon says in the video, in that it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity and why risk it on waiting to see if it’s all ok when we’re due to immigrate in six weeks.

If there is a travel ban in place and only you have activated your LPR status only you will be allowed to enter. If the ban is in effect for some time and your family who have not yet activated are not able to "get in" before their visa expires then they will miss their chance.

There are so many what if scenarios and like you said, there are only 5 cases in NZ, but I agree with Simon, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity - despite it being a huge cost, if it were me I think I'd take the family for a weekend in Hawaii just to activate my status.

In Simon’s video he talks about a message from someone in Australia who is booked to go to the US in April to activate their visa. We’re in that boat, but from NZ. He suggested going earlier if you can to activate visas just in case in six weeks time your country is added to the list of countries on the travel ban. If I go by myself, say next weekend, and I become an LPR, will it mean my family can travel with me in six weeks’ time to activate their visas, even if we’re on travel ban? Or will they be let through when travel ban is over because I’m an LPR? Or is that a risky move and do we *all* need to go activate visas ASAP? This is what I meant. I realise NZ has five virus cases currently, all of which have now recovered, but it could all be different in six weeks. I agree with what Simon says in the video, in that it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity and why risk it on waiting to see if it’s all ok when we’re due to immigrate in six weeks.
If only you have activated, only you are an LPR. The current European ban exempts spouses and children of LPRs from the ban too, but I’m not sure I’d be comfortable enough to assume that exception remains if the ban is extended. I personally would make sure everyone is an LPR ASAP.

If there is a travel ban in place and only you have activated your LPR status only you will be allowed to enter. If the ban is in effect for some time and your family who have not yet activated are not able to "get in" before their visa expires then they will miss their chance.
That’s not true at the moment, but the situation is evolving so fast I wouldn’t rely on it remaining the case.
see the exceptions listed in the proclamation mom linked to above in post 5.

That’s not true at the moment, but the situation is evolving so fast I wouldn’t rely on it remaining the case.
see the exceptions listed in the proclamation mom linked to above in post 5.
Thanks for the correction Susie, I will admit I didn't read the full exception list