• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Would be awesome to have a place to continue our catch ups to see how everyone is going. I hope this doesn't sound weird but I feel kinda connected to you guys, having gone through all this together :cool:

Regarding the social security thing. I already had a SS number from a previous stint here in the US, but the rest of my family didn't. Apparently the first ones they sent out to them were sent back as returned mail so they resent them again. They arrived within a week.

We're heading over at the beginning of November for a holiday then the rest of family are flying back to Australia and I'm staying. Hoping to find a job within 3 months so the they can come over and join me. Looking at Raleigh, NC as our first home in the US.

Not looking forward to going through immigration with children though, what's everyone's experience been so far with the wait times?

@AussieGCHopeful: my younger one got plane sick and was clutching his sick bag looking for a place to toss it. One of the staff saw us and immediately took us aside to a separate queue with zero wait time. So my tip is to tell one of your kids to fake being sick and you'll be golden.

Also, I'm in Charlotte so if you need a fellow NC-er's help when you land, let me know.

I recently went thru lax to activate and it was over three hours to get thru immigration. My flight though arrived at 5:30pm so I don’t know if it was a bad day or just an anomaly.

Hopefully it will be a quick process for you guys.

Anyone can share their experiences of moving ? E.g. relocating their household stuff internationally from Sydney.

Is there anyway to check or get a SSN reissued if I didn’t receive it without physically going to SSA to get one? It’s been 6 weeks since my activation trip and I’m not moving til January so would really like one before I get there to apply for jobs in advance. Can you go through USCIS to get one?

Is there anyway to check or get a SSN reissued if I didn’t receive it without physically going to SSA to get one? It’s been 6 weeks since my activation trip and I’m not moving til January so would really like one before I get there to apply for jobs in advance. Can you go through USCIS to get one?
Nope. In person only...

Applying for jobs doesn't require a SSN. Comes into play after being hired and pay setup.

My Greencard just showed up at my US address!! That was so fast..
Activation date July 31
Delivery September 5
Expires July 31, 2029!!
So happy right now

Last edited:
Yaaaaay that’s so exciting. Hopefully mine won’t be far off. I didn’t realise that they came together.