• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Aidyn/DougNNNN - what evidence did you provide/are you intending to provide to support your work experience?

Contracts, Position Descriptions, Payslips, and letters from the employers, as well as the "O*Net" listing/description aligned with each role.

Aidyn/DougNNNN - what evidence did you provide/are you intending to provide to support your work experience?
I printed out the O*net page that showed my job title and that it met the required level, had my resume, letters of offer, letters of promotion, every payslip for the past 4 years, certifications for job specific training .. I think that was bout it.
The CO reviewed my degree transcript first, then asked if I had my high school diploma documents, at that point I told him that I had not completed high school but I had work experience documents if he wanted to see them. He asked for my resume and the o*net page then quized me on several items that were on my resume, such as where was I currently employed and what was my job title, where was I previously employed and how long was I there for.
It was quite nerve wracking at the time as I was aware work experience was subjective - so my advice is if you have a high school diploma, do everything you can to take that with you to your interview.

Because I don't have Yr 12, and I have yet to see anything stating that having Higher Education meets the education requirements. Drjrice was asking about their university education meeting the requirements, hence my post.

Yes then if you "skipped" a grade level and did the MBA as a mature student or something then that would fail the "formal course of study" aspect of the requirements. There has been a rule clarification in the last couple of years about the education level required being "at least" blah blah - but in this case I think you are correct not to rely on that just in case you meet a picky CO.

He asked for my resume and the o*net page then quized me on several items that were on my resume, such as where was I currently employed and what was my job title, where was I previously employed and how long was I there for.

Was that all they looked at? O*Net page/s and CV?

Was that all they looked at? O*Net page/s and CV?
yes that is all he took from me to look at. That said I wouldnt suggest only taking those things... I'd rather be over-prepared than regretting not taking something that would be easy to get.

yes that is all he took from me to look at. That said I wouldnt suggest only taking those things... I'd rather be over-prepared than regretting not taking something that would be easy to get.
Especially how you’re so close to the cut off date. You can’t afford to go into ap

Yeah, agree. Was just surprised that's all that was looked at.

Especially how you’re so close to the cut off date. You can’t afford to go into ap

As long as they know that the Defence Force doesn't supply "original" military records, then I'm comfortable with everything else.
Still have my fingers and a few other things crossed though!

They may not know that the Defence Force doesn't supply original military records. If I were you, I'd take something official from the government stating that this is the case.

A good rule of thumb is to assume they know nothing and to make sure you have enough documentation for whatever scenario might come up.

Hi everyone - for those who arrived into LAX in the morning as their activation trip, how long did it roughly take in the queue (and to be processed by the USCIS agent)?

I arrive at 7AM and am looking at booking an onward domestic flight. There's a 10.30AM option but I'm not sure if I'm taking a risk by not allowing enough time for processing (the other options are 12.30PM / 1.40PM)...

Also, for those booking/or have done the activation trip (and stayed around a month) and have returned back to Australia, did you consider a medical insurance plan? Simon's website was quite helpful in suggesting some companies that offer 'Green Card Insurance' but I have a frequent traveler insurance plan. It seems like I might be able to use this given that I still have Australian residency (an address, Medicare card, willingness to be repatriated to Australia) and my trip is under the 60 day period of cover... I'd be curious to hear if anyone has had any experiences or research into this!

I’m leaving about the same amount of time for my activation trip my flight gets in late afternoon and my next flight is at 8pm so about a 3 hour window. I’m only staying for a week so I took out normal travel insurance.

Because my domestic leg is all on the one ticket I am wondering what will happen if I don’t get out in time.

While I can grab a southwest flight to my destination I don’t want to void my return ticket though.

Because my domestic leg is all on the one ticket I am wondering what will happen if I don’t get out in time.

I suspect that they would only cover if you missed your second segment due to a delay that they caused (i.e. late arrival of the plane). Even then they will usually give you an Express Pass as you deplane to clear passport control quickly if they believe you might have a chance of making the connection.. I haven't heard of any airline covering a missed connection due to delays on immigration processing. :(

Hopefully someone who's cleared through LAX might be able to tell us we're overthinking the processing time!

Hi everyone - for those who arrived into LAX in the morning as their activation trip, how long did it roughly take in the queue (and to be processed by the USCIS agent)?

I arrive at 7AM and am looking at booking an onward domestic flight. There's a 10.30AM option but I'm not sure if I'm taking a risk by not allowing enough time for processing (the other options are 12.30PM / 1.40PM)...

!

Remember if you have a connection, it is not just time in the queue for immigration. You will need to collect your baggage and check it in again (depending on exact airline/connection this could just be dropping it at a counter as you exit customs or having to go and do a bag drop at the airline counter), possibly change terminals, and go through security again to get on the domestic flight.

There’s a website somewhere that gives you average security lines etc at airport by day/time. You may want to check that for an idea of what to expect.

I suspect that they would only cover if you missed your second segment due to a delay that they caused (i.e. late arrival of the plane). Even then they will usually give you an Express Pass as you deplane to clear passport control quickly if they believe you might have a chance of making the connection.. I haven't heard of any airline covering a missed connection due to delays on immigration processing. :(

Hopefully someone who's cleared through LAX might be able to tell us we're overthinking the processing time!
I checked on my frequent flyer group and the general consensus is they will put me on a later flight. So that is one less thing to worry about.

I checked on my frequent flyer group and the general consensus is they will put me on a later flight. So that is one less thing to worry about.
If it’s the same ticket, yes. The problems usually come in when you book the domestic flight separately.

This is arrivals times - definitely useful - there is also one for the security lines for domestic flights. Looks like it might be app only now? https://www.tsa.gov/mobile
The combination of the two should help give a idea of total time needed, again be sure to check if you are changing terminals or not. Essentially- you should still give yourself an hour, once past immigration, to do all the things you normally arrive at the airport an hour ahead of a flight to do.

This is arrivals times - definitely useful - there is also one for the security lines for domestic flights. Looks like it might be app only now? https://www.tsa.gov/mobile
The combination of the two should help give a idea of total time needed, again be sure to check if you are changing terminals or not. Essentially- you should still give yourself an hour, once past immigration, to do all the things you normally arrive at the airport an hour ahead of a flight to do.
That is more than just arrival times; shows average and max wait times for US and non-US citizens broken down hourly.

I think I had a similar window .. 7am arrival with a 10:30 connection. When I landed there were 3 or 4 other planes that landed at the same time and the immigration lines were horrendous. Happy to say that I made it through on time!
I would also suggest looking at a map of LAX and find out what gate your connecting flight leaves from - there is a shuttle that departs Tom Bradley Int and goes through all 8(?) terminals but thats like a 20+ min trip and if you are the last stop (cant remember which direction it travels) that can be costly time, remembering that some of those terminals require you to go through security again, adding yet again more time.

That is more than just arrival times; shows average and max wait times for US and non-US citizens broken down hourly.
I meant it was times for arrivals, as opposed to security times waiting for the connecting flights. I’m fully aware it is done by hour and day or it would have been useless to suggest it, yes?