• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

I got an interview today at Chicago FO. It was reschedule from Jan due to the Palar Vortex hit Chicago Area plus the lake effect.

The interview took almost an hour and very intense. I got asked in almost every page in i-485 which is a bit discourage when they asked the specific date. However, at the end IO said overall looked good and he had to review some document to make final decision and notice his decision or approval or not in three or four week.

I got an interview today at Chicago FO. It was reschedule from Jan due to the Palar Vortex hit Chicago Area plus the lake effect.

The interview took almost an hour and very intense. I got asked in almost every page in i-485 which is a bit discourage when they asked the specific date. However, at the end IO said overall looked good and he had to review some document to make final decision and notice his decision or approval or not in three or four week.
Hope you get good news very soon))

Hi @Sm1smom and AOS fam,

I wanted to ask a couple of things, I got my Biometrics letter (timeline updated) - appointment is scheduled for next week but I'm going to try walk-in tomorrow.

1. What's the likelihood of being accepted as a walk-in? Is it common to accepted?

2. Spreadsheet states the photo taken will be used for the Green Card. I look the same as the two Passport Photos I submitted with my I-485, but I am anticipating cutting off my facial hair sometime in the next month or so. This might seem like an odd question but is this kind of change in facial appearance prior to an interview a problem? My hairstyle will stay the same as the Passport Photos and the photo for my current E-3 visa. Just figure it might be nice to be clean shaven for the interview.

Hello,

I have a question but I'm not sure if anyone would be able to answer. On the government website it states that the varicella vaccine is mandatory. I had chicken pox when I was young as back in the day they were not vaccinating against chicken pox. Am I still supposed to take the vaccine or should I ask my doctor for blood work to show that I am immune to chicken pox.

Hi @Sm1smom and AOS fam,

I wanted to ask a couple of things, I got my Biometrics letter (timeline updated) - appointment is scheduled for next week but I'm going to try walk-in tomorrow.

1. What's the likelihood of being accepted as a walk-in? Is it common to accepted?

2. Spreadsheet states the photo taken will be used for the Green Card. I look the same as the two Passport Photos I submitted with my I-485, but I am anticipating cutting off my facial hair sometime in the next month or so. This might seem like an odd question but is this kind of change in facial appearance prior to an interview a problem? My hairstyle will stay the same as the Passport Photos and the photo for my current E-3 visa. Just figure it might be nice to be clean shaven for the interview.

1. It’s either 0% or 100%. There’s no guarantee your ASC will allow you do a walk in - if you arrive at a time they’re not busy, they’re more likely to attend to you.

2. As long as you’re still recognizable as the same person, with or without facial hair, you should be fine.

1. It’s either 0% or 100%. There’s no guarantee your ASC will allow you do a walk in - if you arrive at a time they’re not busy, they’re more likely to attend to you.

2. As long as you’re still recognizable as the same person, with or without facial hair, you should be fine.

Ok, thanks for clarifying all of this for me. The photo in my Passport's ID page, I have facial hair, and both of the photos for my J-1 and E-3 visas are without. Hair has stayed pretty much the same all through them all. :)

Ok, thanks for clarifying all of this for me. The photo in my Passport's ID page, I have facial hair, and both of the photos for my J-1 and E-3 visas are without. Hair has stayed pretty much the same all through them all. :)

Facial recognition software is not fooled by facial hair. You’ll be fine :)

Taken from the official website ;
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...-information-resources/photos.html#appearance

Change of Appearance

If your photo(s) or digital image does not reflect your current appearance, even if it is not older than 6 months, the U.S. embassy or consulate will request that you provide a new photo with your application.
Applicants will be requested to obtain a new photo if they have:
  • Undergone significant facial surgery or trauma
  • Added or removed numerous/large facial piercings or tattoos
  • Undergone a significant amount of weight loss or gain
  • Made a gender transition
Generally, if you can still be identified from the photo in your visa application, you will not need to submit a new photo. For example, growing a beard or coloring your hair would not generally be considered a significant change of appearance.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...-information-resources/photos.html#appearance

Change of Appearance

If your photo(s) or digital image does not reflect your current appearance, even if it is not older than 6 months, the U.S. embassy or consulate will request that you provide a new photo with your application.
Generally, if you can still be identified from the photo in your visa application, you will not need to submit a new photo. For example, growing a beard or coloring your hair would not generally be considered a significant change of appearance.

Ah thank you kindly for this. I may get new passport photos taken and bring them to the interview just in case it is asked for but I am sure you all are right. It shouldn't be a problem. I've never had issues going through Immigration with varying changes to having facial hair or not.

I remember once when I had a really long beard, (my Passport ID Photo is just with a moustache) and the US Immigration Officer looked at the photo and looked at me and said "what happened?!" Haha. I laughed. :)

Change of Appearance

That “official website” is NOT applicable to AOSers. Susie and I already provided accurate response to the OP. He will not need to submit new photos even if the appearance is now greatly different from. That guidance is for people going through CP at the US embassy or consulate like the quoted part of your post says. AOS process is different from CP.

Ah thank you kindly for this. I may get new passport photos taken and bring them to the interview just in case it is asked for but I am sure you all are right. It shouldn't be a problem. I've never had issues going through Immigration with varying changes to having facial hair or not.

I remember once when I had a really long beard, (my Passport ID Photo is just with a moustache) and the US Immigration Officer looked at the photo and looked at me and said "what happened?!" Haha. I laughed. :)

That instruction is not applicable to AOSers. Passport photos are not required for the I-485 interview/process.

That “official website” is NOT applicable to AOSers. Susie and I already provided accurate response to the OP. He will not need to submit new photos even if the appearance is now greatly different from. That guidance is for people going through CP at the US embassy or consulate like the quoted part of your post says. AOS process is different from CP.
Sorry for stepping on your toes mom, what I posted actually agreed with what you said anyway, that a change to facial hair is not considered significant change
anyway I'll leave the advise to you from now on :)

Hi Guys,
I did not make it in this Bulletin just under my number 2019EU22xxx.

My question is if Europe go current, that means all CN pretty sure to get a chance for interview or it means all remainong CN can get the GC becuase there are enough?

Since this is AOS, I guess that is not sure you will get an interview but if so, that is sure there are enough visas for all CN?

Last edited:
Hello,
Usually, when does USCIS ask KCC for our file?

They asked for my file on Jan 11, 2019, and KCC forwarded my file on the same day. It's been more than 70 days since my Bio and I haven't got my IL yet.

Sorry for stepping on your toes mom, what I posted actually agreed with what you said anyway, that a change to facial hair is not considered significant change
anyway I'll leave the advise to you from now on :)

It’s not a case of stepping on my toes and I appreciate the desire to help by responding. I wish more people would actually step up to the plate so that Susie and I are not the only ones answering all the questions.

It however can be confusing for people if response is being backed up with official statements meant for consular processing to address an AOS issue since the two processes are not the same.

Hello,

They asked for my file on Jan 11, 2019, and KCC forwarded my file on the same day. It's been more than 70 days since my Bio and I haven't got my IL yet.
It has been 100 days since I am also waiting for IL. When I read other AOSers experience in other threads, majority of their KCC files were requested at the end of interview.

Hi Guys,
I did not make it in this Bulletin just under my number 2019EU22xxx.

My question is if Europe go current, that means all CN pretty sure to get a chance for interview or it means all remainong CN can get the GC becuase there are enough?

Since this is AOS, I guess that is not sure you will get an interview but if so, that is sure there are enough visas for all CN?

When a region goes current, it means KCC feels there are enough visas available for the remaining selectees assuming the region does not retrogress like we saw in 2018. Being current does not guarantee an interview or an approval.

Hello,

It depends on the FO. Some request the KCC case file as soon as they receive the I-485 petition, some wait until after the interview before requesting the case file from KCC.