• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

No, I was a bit slow getting my wifes documents together so mine is still a few weeks away. I have the medical next week though

Thanks. I did the ds-260 pretty quickly, can't remember the month but it was probably around September. I got the letter to submit more documents to them in November and an interview request in Jan (for early march).

Has anyone done the medical here? What can I expect? Do they do blood tests and the full monty of tests or just an xray and some prodding?

Just thinking ahead - is it possible to open a US bank account outside of the US? I'm guessing not.

No. I did a quick trip early last year for the sole purpose of opening a US bank account. Do your research beforehand though, as each state has different legal requirements as to what is required to open a US bank account for non-citizens. I took WAY more than I needed, and it took about 90 minutes all up.

I did it in Oregon by the way, with US Bank.

No. I did a quick trip early last year for the sole purpose of opening a US bank account. Do your research beforehand though, as each state has different legal requirements as to what is required to open a US bank account for non-citizens. I took WAY more than I needed, and it took about 90 minutes all up.

I’m going to do a similar trip I June hopefully after I get my green card.

Requirements for opening accounts vary by bank. So one bank may say they cannot open an account, and another will.

Requirements for opening accounts vary by bank. So one bank may say they cannot open an account, and another will.

Yup. As an example, Bank of America will open with just a passport, whereas Chase will insist on proof of US address.

I don’t really see the need to open an account before you move over though? If you’re making an activation trip may as well open an account I guess, but no need to make a trip just to do so?
By the way I think there is a provider (was it capital one?) where you can open an account online, but I’m not sure what kind of ID etc they require.

Yup. As an example, Bank of America will open with just a passport, whereas Chase will insist on proof of US address.

I don’t really see the need to open an account before you move over though? If you’re making an activation trip may as well open an account I guess, but no need to make a trip just to do so?
By the way I think there is a provider (was it capital one?) where you can open an account online, but I’m not sure what kind of ID etc they require.
They are all starting to ask for proof of address now - Bank of America requested it last year, the man in the bank told me it was a new requirement for them and he even went to confirm with the branch manager if there was anything they could do

They are all starting to ask for proof of address now - Bank of America requested it last year, the man in the bank told me it was a new requirement for them and he even went to confirm with the branch manager if there was anything they could do

Well it makes more sense in terms of anti money laundering legislation etc.
Again, it seems to me somewhat pointless to have a bank account without living there anyway, so... ‍<shrug>

Well it makes more sense in terms of anti money laundering legislation etc.
Again, it seems to me somewhat pointless to have a bank account without living there anyway, so... ‍<shrug>
Given that I travel to the US about every 3 months or so I was hoping to set up the account so that I could avoid all the charges my bank hits me when withdrawing money overseas plus to pay for all the things I have set up with my boyfriend who lives there. Not a huge deal that I couldnt do it, would just have made things a little easier is all

Yeah that's fine. I had a heck of a time setting up a UK bank account in the UK a few years back also. And that was with a job and an address. Am prepared for battle with the banks once again.

Given that I travel to the US about every 3 months or so I was hoping to set up the account so that I could avoid all the charges my bank hits me when withdrawing money overseas plus to pay for all the things I have set up with my boyfriend who lives there. Not a huge deal that I couldnt do it, would just have made things a little easier is all

Ok that’s not exactly the usual DV winner profile ;)

Yeah that's fine. I had a heck of a time setting up a UK bank account in the UK a few years back also. And that was with a job and an address. Am prepared for battle with the banks once again.

Really? I had an account as a part time student there (as in, living outside the UK and only visiting the UK for residential sessions) a few years back and it wasn’t an issue at all to set it up. Weird how people have such different experiences!!

Does anyone know if there’s a restriction on what type of jobs we are allowed to apply for? I read that we aren’t allowed to take US government job positions which is what I’ve had for the last 23yrs. My plan was to get a job on the railways, preferably with Amtrak but not sure if that is feasible now?!

Does anyone know if there’s a restriction on what type of jobs we are allowed to apply for? I read that we aren’t allowed to take US government job positions which is what I’ve had for the last 23yrs. My plan was to get a job on the railways, preferably with Amtrak but not sure if that is feasible now?!
Wow I didn’t know that was a thing. I guess government jobs would be it surely.

It would be good to know to what extent this restriction reaches... definitely limits job prospects for quite a few of this is the case :confused:

You can take any job other than those which specify US citizens only. These will generally be related to security clearances. Some - but definitely not all - government (and government contractor) jobs will be off limits. For example, I know some jobs at federal reserve bank branches are open to green card holders but others are only open to citizens,
I can’t imagine why a green card holder wouldn’t be able to work at Amtrak, but I’ve never checked.