• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 All Selectees

yes.. her has two other names; Elvis Amoako was stated.... The surname Kyei was omited

Is there some kind of ID number that goes on the marriage certificate? Or at least a birth date that hopefully matches his birth certificate and passport?
Is it common to leave a last name off a marriage certificate where you are?

Btw re your previous questions on the education documents, I don’t think those will be a problem.

Lets hope that we both get to go to the interview, my CN is EU229xx. I have similar plans, I have my degree already but need to pass the USMLE exams before I can apply for a job in the US, so working in my home country makes a lot more sense until I get my qualifications in order. If I get the GC, I plan on applying for a re-entry permit that is valid for 2 years, so that I can make my final move to the US later. You just need to remember to file your taxes even if you don't live in the US.

as far as I know you have to pay taxes while not living only if you hold a citizenship, yet I might be wrong

On the subject of tax with regards to capital gains tax on the sale of my primary place of residence. Do I only need to worry about this after I've gone for my activation trip and handed in the documentation at the border?

I was planning on selling my home after the consulate visit and being confirmed for the green card and I believe if I have it sold prior to entering the US for the first time I could avoid paying CGT as an american for tax purposes. I'm Australian if that helps and I don't pay CGT on my home when sold.

On the subject of tax with regards to capital gains tax on the sale of my primary place of residence. Do I only need to worry about this after I've gone for my activation trip and handed in the documentation at the border?

I was planning on selling my home after the consulate visit and being confirmed for the green card and I believe if I have it sold prior to entering the US for the first time I could avoid paying CGT as an american for tax purposes. I'm Australian if that helps and I don't pay CGT on my home when sold.

Yes, sell it before if that’s what you know you want to do and if the gain will be subject to US CGT (exemption I think is $250k for single and $500k for married) -you are correct that anything after you get your green card is subject to US tax.

US tax law is weird in that even if you are earning overseas and not living in the US, you still need to pay Uncle Sam if you earn over a certain threshold (I never earned over it so never needed to pay tax back when i had a greencard)

Is there some kind of ID number that goes on the marriage certificate? Or at least a birth date that hopefully matches his birth certificate and passport?
Is it common to leave a last name off a marriage certificate where you are?

Btw re your previous questions on the education documents, I don’t think those will be a problem.
The marriage cert has a number, date of issue, place of registration ....

Also, my case number is 2019AF0001xxxx .... if I submit DS260 by June 30, how soon can we get interview date, Country is Ghana

Last edited:
Just fathers name..which matches with what is in our birth certs... no date of birth or ID number, it is also hand written

So you are now going by extra names that are not in your birth certificates??
What names are your passports in?

If it is at all possible to get a computer generated copy from the appropriate registry, I’d suggest you do that, preferably with the same names as your passports.

Last edited:
So you are now going by extra names that are not in your birth certificates??
What names are your passports in?

If it is at all possible to get a computer generated copy from the appropriate registry, I’d suggest you do that, preferably with the same names as your passports.
There is no computer generated available where the marriage was registered., the solution being offered is to give attestation.....

The name is in my passport and birth cert and any ID I have ever had...but it was omission.

The full name since birth has been Elvis Amoako Kyei with Kyei as surname. That is what is on the birth cert(first issued in 2001) ,passport and our children birth certs, the first born registered in 2010 and the last registered in 2015.
For whatever reason, the marriage registrar only wrote Elvis Amoako without Kyei. As indicated earlier, this marriage cert was issued in 2009, and we have photos and properties in joint name acquired was before the edv entry...

Is there a problem?

Last edited:
Just fathers name..which matches with what is in our birth certs...

The full name since birth has been Elvis Amoako Kyei with Kyei as surname. That is what is on the birth cert(

I must be misunderstanding something because it seems like these two posts I quoted above contradict each other.

Is there a problem? If the CO cannot believe from the documents you present him, yes.
You are saying the ONLY thing identifying your husband on your marriage certificate is two first names?
Is there any reason you didn’t ask back in 2009 why the name wasn’t on there?
By the way many people have property and children together without being married. That’s not proof of marriage.
I guess you will have to take other proof of your relationship then and hope the CO accepts the marriage certificate. You can attest or affidavit or whatever (I don’t know what an attestation is, sorry) but it’s not a guarantee the CO accept those even with a genuine mistake that someone else made.