• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

None of the proposed bills have been written that way. So, that would be "unlikely" to the point of "unnecessary to even discuss". People are jumpy enough without creating a boogeyman.
I did say in my remarks that such bill does not (yet) exist.
Also, you certainly are entitled to your personal opinions, Britsimon, such as informing folks not to worry at all - that a President Trump wasn't even remotely a possibility, well before presidential elections in 2016. Now, that is a real boogeyman in my book :).
Anyways, to encourage every DV-2018 lottery winners to get their I-485 or DS-260 in asap is the very least we should do on this and other DV forums, everything else would just be seriously reckless in my personal opinion.

Anyways, to encourage every DV-2018 lottery winners to get their I-485 or DS-260 in asap is the very least we should do on this and other DV forums, everything else would just be seriously reckless in my personal opinion.

Isn’t that precisely what we’ve been doing?

I did say in my remarks that such bill does not (yet) exist.
Also, you certainly are entitled to your personal opinions, Britsimon, such as informing folks not to worry at all - that a President Trump wasn't even remotely a possibility, well before presidential elections in 2016. Now, that is a real boogeyman in my book :).

I think you would find a way to argue in an empty room.

Hi Mom and Everyone,
a question about i-485's "Other names used". I am not sure where the limit of disclosure could stand:
1. Does my Facebook name (different from my name) count?
2. Does my Netflix account name count?
3. Does my name/id in this forum count?
4. Does a Google account profile name (used only for one-off subscriptions/offers, etc.) count?
Thank you

Last edited:
Hi Mom and Everyone,
a question about i-485's "Other names used". I am not sure where the limit of disclosure could stand:
1. Does my Facebook name (different from my name) count?
2. Does my Netflix account name count?
3. Does my name/id in this forum count?
4. Does a Google account profile name (used only for one-off subscriptions/offers, etc.) count?
Thank you

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No

Only other names used in official or formal situations.

Hi Mom and everyone,
I am still waiting for my interview to be scheduled and have already received my work authorization card. I just have a question regarding the work authorization card. I was planning to use it in a month or so for work but I have heard that If I use it, my status would be considered a pending Permanent resident applicant. And in the unfortunate scenario that my case gets denied, I would lose my F1 status and would be considered out of status. Is that true?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Mom and everyone,
I am still waiting for my interview to be scheduled and have already received my work authorization card. I just have a question regarding the work authorization card. I was planning to use it in a month or so for work but I have heard that If I use it, my status would be considered a pending Permanent resident applicant. And in the unfortunate scenario that my case gets denied, I would lose my F1 status and would be considered out of status. Is that true?
Thanks in advance.

Yes that is true. This was covered on the “AOS Package” tab of the AOS process spreadsheet.

Hi,

We are putting together our AOS package, since our number will become current in April, finally!.

We have one question regarding the High School diploma. My husband, who won the lottery does not have it and we have been trying for months to get it from Spain. He finished High School in 1997 and even if the records exist, they don't find the diploma in the High School and refuse to issue a copy (yes, that is Spain). He has, however, 1 Bachelor Degree and 2 different Masters Degree. Do we still need the High School Diploma or will it be OK with the other higher education certificates?

Thanks!

I just came back from AOS interview. Thank you to all super moderators and everyone in this forum. I would like to share my AOS experience.

• CN: 2018AS00000XXX, Houston FO
  • Status in US: J1 with two-year home residency requirement.
  • Mid Jul 2017: Submitted J1 No Objection waiver application via home country embassy & US Dept. of State.
  • Jul 2017: Submitted DS260, received 2NL from KCC (in email) a week later.
  • Early Oct 2017: Favorable recommendation letter issued by DOS and sent to USCIS.
  • Oct 2017: Sent DOS the Adjustment of status fee aka diversity visa lottery processing fee. Received receipt 3 weeks later in the mail.
  • Oct 2017: USCIS Medical forms (Form I-693) completed by civil surgeon.
  • 3 Nov 2017: J1 Waiver Notice of Action from USCIS received in the mail.
  • 10 Nov 2017: Mailed (with USPS) AOS package to the Chicago Lockbox (no EAD application) (packed assemble as picture attached, I have a cover letter with two ID photos and I693).
  • 20 Nov 2017: Received email notification that package was received, check cashed.
  • 24 Nov 2017: NOA letters received in the mail.
  • 1 Dec 2017: Biometrics letters received with appointments set for 14 Dec 2017
  • 5 Dec 2017: Walk in for biometric. Biometrics completed.
  • 24 Jan 2018: Interview letters received. The letter was prepared on 12 Jan 2018, but I received the letter 12 days after the date.
  • 29 Jan 2018: Interview day. Waited IO for 1 hour, interview only took 15-20 min. IO checked visa status in USA and J1 waiver status. IO also checked IRS tax transcript and asked “Yes/No” questions of I-485. At the end of the interview, IO gave me a letter of “approval notification”.

IMG_20171108_113605_edit_lowres.jpg IMG_20171108_113619.jpg

The spreadsheet by Sm1smon is very informative, I read the spreadsheet a few times before filing for AOS. Last but not least, all the best and good luck to all AOSers.

I have an info pass appointment for today, I feel like it was not that helpful:

I mentioned about I-485 based on diversity visa, and officer looked through system and said that my case is queued for the interview and then it may take around 1 years. Then I mentioned about the time limitation and number limitation for diversity visa, and officer said that it might be known (no definite answer) about urgency of DV and told that you have come on visa and it might not be a problem (which I didn't understand and didn't ask further).

At the end I ask if my background is done, and officer said that since it is queued for interview it should have been done. Basically, answer was not helpful and I didn't get any definite answer.

My concern is if my interview will be scheduled within the end of fiscal year; or is there any other way so that I get my interview notice quick? Will service request be helpful?

Hi,

We are putting together our AOS package, since our number will become current in April, finally!.

We have one question regarding the High School diploma. My husband, who won the lottery does not have it and we have been trying for months to get it from Spain. He finished High School in 1997 and even if the records exist, they don't find the diploma in the High School and refuse to issue a copy (yes, that is Spain). He has, however, 1 Bachelor Degree and 2 different Masters Degree. Do we still need the High School Diploma or will it be OK with the other higher education certificates?

Thanks!

Having the HS Diploma on hand is usually recommended. But there’s nothing you can do if you don’t have it after several attempts to get it which means you’re unable to present it. Present what you have and keep your fingers crossed.

I have an info pass appointment for today, I feel like it was not that helpful:

I mentioned about I-485 based on diversity visa, and officer looked through system and said that my case is queued for the interview and then it may take around 1 years. Then I mentioned about the time limitation and number limitation for diversity visa, and officer said that it might be known (no definite answer) about urgency of DV and told that you have come on visa and it might not be a problem (which I didn't understand and didn't ask further).

At the end I ask if my background is done, and officer said that since it is queued for interview it should have been done. Basically, answer was not helpful and I didn't get any definite answer.

My concern is if my interview will be scheduled within the end of fiscal year; or is there any other way so that I get my interview notice quick? Will service request be helpful?

Your FO is certainly aware of the fact that DV cases are time sensitive (you previously discussed your FO’s timeline regarding DV based AOS cases) even if the IO you met appears clueless.

Initiating a service request isn’t likely to lead to the case being expedited. At this point, my suggestion is to schedule another INFOPASS and visit your FO in about 3 weeks time if the IL is still a no show. The outcome of that visit will determine if a congressional inquiry may be in order or not.

On January 15th I mailed 3 I 485 for myself and my 2 kids one is over age of 15 and the other is 13 and today I received 3 emails with basically states the same and the 3 checks are cashed/ processing, I signed up on the USCIS site and added the receipts number on the account
My questions are,
1- I can not tell which receipt for which person?
2- the updates says On January 25, 2018, we accepted the fingerprint fee for your Form I-485, on 2 receipts numbers
and the third is different it states
On January 16, 2018, we received your Form I-485, Application to Register If you do not receive your receipt notice by February 15, 2018, please call Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283, so why all three are not the same, is one response better than the other?

any feedback is appreciated, please

Your FO is certainly aware of the fact that DV cases are time sensitive (you previously discussed your FO’s timeline regarding DV based AOS cases) even if the IO you met appears clueless.

Initiating a service request isn’t likely to lead to the case being expedited. At this point, my suggestion is to schedule another INFOPASS and visit your FO in about 3 weeks time if the IL is still a no show. The outcome of that visit will determine if a congressional inquiry may be in order or not.
Hello Mom,

Thank you for the reply.

My previous mention about timeline was based on timelines from 2015 to 2017 on the google spreadsheet of this thread. Based on the timeline data, I concluded that I should have got interview letter within this time. But, with the new changes on I-485 rule (like interview for employment based I485 etc)., all the other cases seems to be affected, I am wondering if that is causing a delay.

Now, I will do same as you suggested, will wait for 3 weeks and then schedule another info pass if I don't get IL.

Thank you again for suggestion.

On January 15th I mailed 3 I 485 for myself and my 2 kids one is over age of 15 and the other is 13 and today I received 3 emails with basically states the same and the 3 checks are cashed/ processing, I signed up on the USCIS site and added the receipts number on the account
My questions are,
1- I can not tell which receipt for which person?
2- the updates says On January 25, 2018, we accepted the fingerprint fee for your Form I-485, on 2 receipts numbers
and the third is different it states
On January 16, 2018, we received your Form I-485, Application to Register If you do not receive your receipt notice by February 15, 2018, please call Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283, so why all three are not the same, is one response better than the other?

any feedback is appreciated, please

The two receipts with the same message are for you and the over 15 kid - your AOS fee included bio (finger prints)fees. The receipt with the different message is for the under 14 kid - no finger print fee included with their AOS fee.

The responses mean the same thing - all three AOS petitions are officially accepted. Nothing more to them.

Hello Mom,

Thank you for the reply.

My previous mention about timeline was based on timelines from 2015 to 2017 on the google spreadsheet of this thread. Based on the timeline data, I concluded that I should have got interview letter within this time. But, with the new changes on I-485 rule (like interview for employment based I485 etc)., all the other cases seems to be affected, I am wondering if that is causing a delay.

Now, I will do same as you suggested, will wait for 3 weeks and then schedule another info pass if I don't get IL.

Thank you again for suggestion.

Yes I know the Timelines reference in your previous post has to do with cases from previous years. I referenced it to confirm your FO is already aware all DV based AOS petitions are time sensitive regardless of the year in question. Based on the response from the IO you met, you don’t even know for certain if your background check already cleared. The delay you’re experiencing could also be due to that.

Hello,

I mistakenly crossed on yellow which turned red almost 4.5 yrs ago, and got speeding ticket (taken by camera) 1.5 yrs ago. Both resulted fine of about 120 each. Did I have to mention anything about that on my i 485 forms? I have already submitted my application with any violation marked as ‘no’ and biometric done, and now realize if I was supposed to enter those info? Does that make my case difficult?

Hello,

I mistakenly crossed on yellow which turned red almost 4.5 yrs ago, and got speeding ticket (taken by camera) 1.5 yrs ago. Both resulted fine of about 120 each. Did I have to mention anything about that on my i 485 forms? I have already submitted my application with any violation marked as ‘no’ and biometric done, and now realize if I was supposed to enter those info? Does that make my case difficult?

Traffic tickets with fines of less than $500 are not required to be listed on the I-485.