• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

It's difficult to find a job from Australia when the US is saturated with excellent local candidates who can start straight away. As far as I know, @guestgulkan is the only one who has been able to do that and it took the better half of a year to achieve.

I got here and it took five weeks to find a job.
Yeah its definitely hard! I've had a few skype and phone interviews - but no luck on a career-related job yet. I am glad to be getting a job to tie me over and have a bit of fun with close to Denver where I eventually want to live.

Been finding it hard to get a job in my industry from Australia, however I have managed to secure a job in Colorado for the winter season! Can't wait to move from transition from sunny Brisbane to the Rockies in November! Now to get ready for the big move!

Winter in Colorado is stunning. What a way to start your life in the US! Best of luck with the move :)

Reactions: Pog
Well fellow OC 2017 Selectees with the proccesing year coming to a close I hope that everyone managed to secure Green Cards & begin the process of life in the USA. Huge thanks for everyone’s help & support (especially Britsimon, Susie & Mom) through the past 15 months & Best Wishes with your futures
The lottery was an 8 time process for my wife & I so it goes to show that luck, persistence & thorough planning can pay off in the end. We make our final move in the new year & excited to start a new chapter in our lives
Best wishes & Good Fortune

Well fellow OC 2017 Selectees with the proccesing year coming to a close I hope that everyone managed to secure Green Cards & begin the process of life in the USA. Huge thanks for everyone’s help & support (especially Britsimon, Susie & Mom) through the past 15 months & Best Wishes with your futures
The lottery was an 8 time process for my wife & I so it goes to show that luck, persistence & thorough planning can pay off in the end. We make our final move in the new year & excited to start a new chapter in our lives
I agree AppleBound. What a great and supportive little community. I hope I can help the newbies once I get over and settled!

Coming up to week four and am I bring impatient expecting my SSN to be here by now? Probably! The greencard arrived a week or so ago, and I was hoping the SSN wouldn't be far behind.

A bit on my experience so far - moved to Philadelphia with my fiancé and dog. Activating in LA was a breeze, even though we were complicated by the fact I was a first timer and my fiancé was on a re-entry permit. The first officer was quite formal, especially dealing with the re-entry, but I have to respect the fact he works a job where people could regularly lie to him. For my processing he called another officer who came up to collect me, but in the end just stamped everything at the point of entry desk. Done and done. The following day we flew to Newark and collected the dog (so happy to see she was completely fine, I'm adding this for those that are considering bringing a pet - it can be done, they will be looked after - I was very worried about this point). The airport terminal was completely shutdown just after we arrived due to a security scare, which made for a very long day.

Philadelphia has been great to explore. It's been incredibly warm and humid the whole time we've been here, which we weren't expecting (so glad we threw in a few shorts and tees at the last minute). The job hunting has been very slow for me. I'm now getting responses on jobs I applied for a month ago. It's a trying process, as I've never been out of work, and the delay makes me worried they don't like my experience or qualifications or whatever, and I should be reworking my resume or cover letter, but maybe it just takes this long to respond. In the meantime, we've looked at jobs in Delaware, and like the opportunities down there and the pace. Philadelphia is very pretty in parts, and has a lot to do, but geez the roads are rough (not to mention the drivers). Its been fun tossing up the various options. Hope everyone else from 2017 is successfully moving forward :)

Coming up to week four and am I bring impatient expecting my SSN to be here by now? Probably! The greencard arrived a week or so ago, and I was hoping the SSN wouldn't be far behind.

SS cards usually arrive within the first 2 weeks so looks like something has gone wrong- suggest you pay a visit to your local SS office.

SS cards usually arrive within the first 2 weeks so looks like something has gone wrong- suggest you pay a visit to your local SS office.
Thanks for this. Went to the office yesterday and the card was sent 9/14, so something has gone wrong. They were able to give me the number and requested the card be resent. Took two hours of sitting and waiting, but good to finally have the details I need.

Thanks for this. Went to the office yesterday and the card was sent 9/14, so something has gone wrong. They were able to give me the number and requested the card be resent. Took two hours of sitting and waiting, but good to finally have the details I need.

Ok. Not to make you paranoid, but it’s obviously got lost in the mail ... I’d suggest you open a credit karma account and keep a close eye on any potential credit applications made by someone else using your SSN.

Ok. Not to make you paranoid, but it’s obviously got lost in the mail ... I’d suggest you open a credit karma account and keep a close eye on any potential credit applications made by someone else using your SSN.
Damn. I thought as much (lost in the mail). I'm currently living an a 'Street Name North' which I noticed yesterday comes up as 'N Street Name' on the social security letter, so I'm not surprised. Fingers crossed it gets here the second time. Just tried Credit Karma and it can't find me (even with trying the two address types). I hope that means I'm ok for now...? I will keep an eye on it, though.

Thanks everyone for your help. I am almost at the stage of going over to do an activation trip in early November for about 2 weeks and then moving permanently early next year around May.

I was wondering if anyone could help with these questions:
1. My printed visa is slightly misaligned (by the consulate). The letter "U" in "Upon endorsement serves as a temporary I-551....." has been cut off - I don't think this will cause any issues but wanted an opinion. (The Machine Readable Passport zone and all other parts is all intact)
2. Do they look at your X-ray's CD or collect it off you upon arrival at Port of Entry if its your first time activating the visa?
3. Does anyone have any info on the Obamacare/ACA requirements if you're only going for activation (to avoid penalties) ? I am only there for 2 weeks , so it would seem crazy to buy insurance while I'm in Australia before I move over. I recall there was something about immigration being a 'life event' and some kind of period of exemption but my search hasn't found anything.

Thank you!

Thanks everyone for your help. I am almost at the stage of going over to do an activation trip in early November for about 2 weeks and then moving permanently early next year around May.

I was wondering if anyone could help with these questions:
1. My printed visa is slightly misaligned (by the consulate). The letter "U" in "Upon endorsement serves as a temporary I-551....." has been cut off - I don't think this will cause any issues but wanted an opinion. (The Machine Readable Passport zone and all other parts is all intact)
2. Do they look at your X-ray's CD or collect it off you upon arrival at Port of Entry if its your first time activating the visa?
3. Does anyone have any info on the Obamacare/ACA requirements if you're only going for activation (to avoid penalties) ? I am only there for 2 weeks , so it would seem crazy to buy insurance while I'm in Australia before I move over. I recall there was something about immigration being a 'life event' and some kind of period of exemption but my search hasn't found anything.

Thank you!

1. Don’t know. Logically shouldn’t be an issue but you might want to check with the embassy.
2. No
3. You get an exemption from the IRS re: Obamacare penalties if not physically present in the US.

All the best for the big move in the new year and your new adventure @AppleBound . An 8 time process? I will keep my optimism going then! :D

Q

Hi Guys
Looking for further advice on health insurance if possible - as I understand the cut off to enroll is 15th Dec? We are relocating to NYC in early 18 & struggling to find any short term cover (clicked thru Britsimon’s website link) on offer for NYC. We are likely to be unemployed initially & are not prepared to risk it so essential we have appropriate cover from day 1. Question: can we sign up to cover without an income from employment (have savings) & if we sign up can we cancel & move to employers plan once employed?
Appreciate any feedback from those who’ve been through the process

Hi Guys
Looking for further advice on health insurance if possible - as I understand the cut off to enroll is 15th Dec? We are relocating to NYC in early 18 & struggling to find any short term cover (clicked thru Britsimon’s website link) on offer for NYC. We are likely to be unemployed initially & are not prepared to risk it so essential we have appropriate cover from day 1. Question: can we sign up to cover without an income from employment (have savings) & if we sign up can we cancel & move to employers plan once employed?

The cutoffs don’t apply to “life events”, of which immigration is one. You can enroll within a certain time (I think it’s 60 days) after immigrating.

And yes you can sign up private and change when you get a job. Be aware that private tends to be a lot more expensive than through a job as employers give big subsidies.
(I’m not sure if you can get something cheaper through the marketplace while unemployed ...i think that’s the point of it but not done that myself, and who knows where the system will be next year with the republicans trying to gut it...so you’ll probably have to refresh your research when you arrive too)

Hi Guys

My articles explain this. If you are making the move you can get an ACA plan almost immediately. Depending on your plans that may be the best approach. You can switch to an employers plan later if preferred. The temporary cover policies are best for activation trips and useful as bridging policies before you start work, but if you think the cover wil be more than a few weeks, an ACA plan is the best way.

My articles explain this. If you are making the move you can get an ACA plan almost immediately. Depending on your plans that may be the best approach. You can switch to an employers plan later if preferred. The temporary cover policies are best for activation trips and useful as bridging policies before you start work, but if you think the cover wil be more than a few weeks, an ACA plan is the best way.

Thanks Britsimon, we extensively checked out your website & looked up the link you have on provided the issue, we & several people from your site face the same issue that a number of states are not covered under these plans with NY, Washington & Maryland (off the top of my head) all excluded.
Hoping an expat Aussie or a fellow DV17 selectee has navigated this issue & can offer advice
Appreciate your efforts & support!!

Hello,
I saw some people posting about health insurance here and I am wondering if someone can give me an advice. I am currently outside the states and I don't have a health insurance. I am planning to come back around Christmas time and I still don't have a job so what are my options for health insurance, is the ACA the best option? I have never had to worry about health insurance because I used to get it through my school, that's why I am a little bit lost.
Thank you

Thanks Britsimon, we extensively checked out your website & looked up the link you have on provided the issue, we & several people from your site face the same issue that a number of states are not covered under these plans with NY, Washington & Maryland (off the top of my head) all excluded.
Hoping an expat Aussie or a fellow DV17 selectee has navigated this issue & can offer advice
Appreciate your efforts & support!!

So you don't seem to be answering my point. Are you going for a short trip or is this the big move?