• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 EU Selectees

@Sm1smom 1.can i renew my passport even tho i submitted the Ds-260.
2. How old should the passport be prior to the interview. Thank you very much for your time and effort to reply to those questions
Hi Ireeln

1. Yes. Just bring both of them for CP / send both copies in the AOS package. (Similar question http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2017-aos-only.331328/page-28#post-2440934 , Mom's answer is right below)

2. What do you mean by "how old"? Passport is valid immediately starting from the issuance date. It might be as well the same day you have the interview.

Cheers

@Xarthisius thank you so much for those replies about how old for the passport for example the expiry date mine is in 2019 so for example how much prior to the expiry date should the passport be valid to get the visa. I hope you get my question haah thank you so much :)

@Xarthisius thank you so much for those replies about how old for the passport for example the expiry date mine is in 2019 so for example how much prior to the expiry date should the passport be valid to get the visa. I hope you get my question haah thank you so much :)

Oh, I get it. How long can you travel to US with a GC and a passport before it expires? I don't know the answer to that. I don't think the usual "at least for the duration of stay" (for most EU countries) or "at least for the duration of stay + 6 months" (for all the others) applies in that scenario because it no longer makes sense. I'd guess just valid on the day of entry should be enough, but let's wait for someone more knowledgeable to answer.

Update: Just to back up my statement. I have two current visas in my old passport (one valid till August 2017 and one valid till Dec 2021). Both were stamped into passport that was valid till Feb 2017.

Last edited:
Hello forumites!

Long time no... write and read.

As already posted on a different thread also, this year we got lucky too! Of the 2 applications we made (mine and of my wife) one was selected!

We have the EU8XXX and we had the DS completed a couple of days ago.

From what I am able to predict reading around, we might get an interview mid-December or earlier January 2018 though maybe Britsimon can give a more accurate approximation to it?!?!

Also, we are interviewing in Madrid, Spain if any of you have info about the proceedings here and what they might or might not ask.

Best of luck to all of you outthere! I hope to have the chance to see some of you on the American soil one day.

Cheers!

Hello forumites!

Long time no... write and read.

As already posted on a different thread also, this year we got lucky too! Of the 2 applications we made (mine and of my wife) one was selected!

We have the EU8XXX and we had the DS completed a couple of days ago.

From what I am able to predict reading around, we might get an interview mid-December or earlier January 2018 though maybe Britsimon can give a more accurate approximation to it?!?!

Also, we are interviewing in Madrid, Spain if any of you have info about the proceedings here and what they might or might not ask.

Best of luck to all of you outthere! I hope to have the chance to see some of you on the American soil one day.

Cheers!

Regarding timing, the number doesn't determine when in a month you interview, just which month. As for prediction, Dec/Jan could be about right - but wait and see. Processing is a little different this year.

Hi everyone!!!
I Asm seleccted for the green card 2018, my case Number is 36XXX I think is the Most high I ever seen for this year in some forum, can I have a little hope to have the enterview?
If I take a count that the first Numbers called in october are only 2,600 and another years beggins with 8.000 I am dissapointed, what do you Think @Britsimon and @mom?

Someone can help me with my question? Thank you

FYI, your first post was at 3am in the time zone that Simon, mom and I live in. We're keen to help, but not that keen that we stay up all night reading posts.
We also have lives and don't sit watching the forum every second.... so I'm sure Simon, who is the expert on numbers, will respond when he sees it. In the meanwhile you can read his blog at britsimonsays.com where I believe he has some general thoughts on the 2018 numbers.

Someone can help me with my question? Thank you

Can you exercise some patience and stop duplicating the same post all over the forum please? The people answering questions here are doing so on a voluntary basis, it is not a full time job. They have other things to do too.

Plus you've not even indicated your region in your post to start with!

Sorry, I didnt knew it, thank you very much, I didnt think in the diferent time between countrys, my case Number is EU201836XXX

Sorry, I didnt knew it, thank you very much, I didnt think in the diferent time between countrys, my case Number is EU201836XXX

My thoughts on numbers are well described here.

http://britsimonsays.com/dv2018-selectee-numbers-published/

Your case number falls under what I consider to be a safe range. You'll just have to exercise some patience - as you will have a long wait.

Interestingly, it seems there may have been some additional selectees drawn, specifically in EU region. I am waiting for corroboration of that - but if true it is surprising, and shows that KCC feel the existing EU selectees are not sufficient to fill the quota. But I have to say, THAT would be a surprise to me.

Hello everyone
I'm been selected for dv 2018, my case number is EU18xxx.
I hope in a interview in February.
Is it possible?
What u think about it?

Hi everyone. We were selected this year (after applying the last five years) - YAY! However, I had one questions which lead me to this forum and now I feel like I have a million! I realize we knew nothing about the inner workings of the process!

Our case number is 2018EU00014XXX so I think, from what I've read that means it's high but still good....? I'm now also confused about what this number means in relation to specific countries within the EU. Our country of eligibility is Ireland, so I'm worried we may not be a "safe" number if the ratio is too great...or if that even matters at all.

How are people estimating their interview month?

Also, do we go ahead and apply for 2019 next month if we haven't been called in for an interview yet?

The question that lead me to you in the first place was - Is there a date by which we have to enter the USA if/when we are approved? As in, the 2018 timeline is October 2017 - September 2018 so would we have to move by the end of September 2018? Is that how it works?

Thank you for any and all your help. Sorry for our inexperience and lack of knowledge with this!!

Hi everyone. We were selected this year (after applying the last five years) - YAY! However, I had one questions which lead me to this forum and now I feel like I have a million! I realize we knew nothing about the inner workings of the process!

Our case number is 2018EU00014XXX so I think, from what I've read that means it's high but still good....? I'm now also confused about what this number means in relation to specific countries within the EU. Our country of eligibility is Ireland, so I'm worried we may not be a "safe" number if the ratio is too great...or if that even matters at all.

How are people estimating their interview month?

Also, do we go ahead and apply for 2019 next month if we haven't been called in for an interview yet?

The question that lead me to you in the first place was - Is there a date by which we have to enter the USA if/when we are approved? As in, the 2018 timeline is October 2017 - September 2018 so would we have to move by the end of September 2018? Is that how it works?

Thank you for any and all your help. Sorry for our inexperience and lack of knowledge with this!!

Your number is not high, and is "safe".

Your interview will be early 2018.

Your issued visa will have an expiry date of 6 months after the medical.

Interestingly, it seems there may have been some additional selectees drawn, specifically in EU region. I am waiting for corroboration of that - but if true it is surprising, and shows that KCC feel the existing EU selectees are not sufficient to fill the quota. But I have to say, THAT would be a surprise to me.

If they may have been additional selectees drawn, what can we understand with this? If they feel the EU selectees are not sufficient, even the highest CN have a chance then. Am i right?

If they may have been additional selectees drawn, what can we understand with this? If they feel the EU selectees are not sufficient, even the highest CN have a chance then. Am i right?

That is not exactly true - but I should point out that I have NOT had any other cases like this. There was ONE case that said he received an email that mentioned additional selectees were added. But HE never came back and said he was a winner, and no one else has come forward to corroborate that story. Given the reach of my site and this forum, I think we would have heard about it by now if it had been real.

I was selected with the number EU34xxx

After reading the forum for a couple of months still have a few doubts maybe someone can help with.

1. My girlfriend's status is F1 (we are both students).
I have been thinking about getting married for a while, but was not easy in our situation.
Is it a good idea to get married before the interview and add her to my DS260? Will it make it more dificult?
If we get married after obtaining a greencard how long will it take for her?
We would like to go back to our countries to see our relatives.

2. If there are about 50k Visas available how come there are about 40-50k selectees from Europe + 80k from AF + OC ... ?

I was selected with the number EU34xxx

After reading the forum for a couple of months still have a few doubts maybe someone can help with.

1. My girlfriend's status is F1 (we are both students).
I have been thinking about getting married for a while, but was not easy in our situation.
Is it a good idea to get married before the interview and add her to my DS260? Will it make it more dificult?
If we get married after obtaining a greencard how long will it take for her?
We would like to go back to our countries to see our relatives.

2. If there are about 50k Visas available how come there are about 40-50k selectees from Europe + 80k from AF + OC ... ?

1. If you have proof of an existIng relationship then it shouldn't make the process more difficult. It will be much, much, MUCH easier, cheaper and faster to get married before your DV interview rather than try sponsor a spouse later.

2. They always select more than the visas available, because not everyone pursues it, not everyone is qualified, etc. This does mean that in some years not all selectees get visas.

If you are in the US suggest you also read the DV2018 AOS thread.