• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hello all,

I am selectee of 2018 lottery Asia and my number is 5*** and I think it is a high number. Based on the information that I saw in the Bulletins for this year and previous years, my number will not become current until May 0f 2018 (Best case scenario). I am from Iran and I think the background check for Iranian may take at least 3 or 4 months (even more). In this case, If I can not receive interview appointment before September 30th of 2018 and have filled the AOS, do they deny my case and do I need to leave the country? (I am currently on F1)
I appreciate your time!

Case will be denied, you'll remain on your current student status after that.

Reactions: nhn
Hi ,

Thanks for this amazing forum:

Scenario:

My wife is selected for DV lottery. I am in F1- Status and my wife is in F-2 status. I have a pending asylum case but until now I have maintained my status. It seems that our CN will be current on either June or July of 2018.

I am going to graduate in next May 2018. I am planning to apply for OPT.

It seems that I will be on OPT before our interview for AOS.

Questions:

1) Is there any problem to get OPT for me after I fill DS-260 or in my scenario by any other reason?

2) If I get OPT am I able to adjust my visa status?

3) Can we really apply for OPT and AOS at a same time?

4) What are some other parts that I have to aware in my case until the AOS processing?

5) For the AOS package, do I have to send two separate AOS package for me and my wife?

Hi ,

Thanks for this amazing forum:

Scenario:

My wife is selected for DV lottery. I am in F1- Status and my wife is in F-2 status. I have a pending asylum case but until now I have maintained my status. It seems that our CN will be current on either June or July of 2018.

I am going to graduate in next May 2018. I am planning to apply for OPT.

It seems that I will be on OPT before our interview for AOS.

Questions:

1) Is there any problem to get OPT for me after I fill DS-260 or in my scenario by any other reason?

2) If I get OPT am I able to adjust my visa status?

3) Can we really apply for OPT and AOS at a same time?

4) What are some other parts that I have to aware in my case until the AOS processing?

5) For the AOS package, do I have to send two separate AOS package for me and my wife?

1. There shouldn't be, but if you haven't already submitted your DS260, I recommend you wait until after applying for OPT.

2. Yes.

3. See 1 above.

4. This question is too broad, you need to ask a specific question.

5. Each person needs a set of AOS package - you can mail both together. It's actually recommended you mail both packages together.

I suggest you go over the AOS process spreadsheet. Link to it can be found on the first post on page one of this Thread.

1. There shouldn't be, but if you haven't already submitted your DS260, I recommend you wait until after applying for OPT.

2. Yes.

3. See 1 above.

4. This question is too broad, you need to ask a specific question.

5. Each person needs a set of AOS package - you can mail both together. It's actually recommended you mail both packages together.

I suggest you go over the AOS process spreadsheet. Link to it can be found on the first post on page one of this Thread.

I am sorry look around a while and tried to find out the answer of my Question number 3 but i cannot.

So my question is that:

Can i apply OPT before and later on can i file AOS ?
Or, is there any relation between OPT and AOS ?

I am sorry look around a while and tried to find out the answer of my Question number 3 but i cannot.

So my question is that:

Can i apply OPT before and later on can i file AOS ?
Or, is there any relation between OPT and AOS ?

The response to your question 3 was already provided in my first response hence the "see 1 above" comment in my previous post.

Yes, you can apply for OPT. As a matter of fact it is highly recommended you apply for OPT before applying for AOS. If you haven't already submitted your DS260, I recommend you wait until after applying for OPT before submitting the DS form.

The response to your question 3 was already provided in my first response hence the "see 1 above" comment in my previous post.

Yes, you can apply for OPT. As a matter of fact it is highly recommended you apply for OPT before applying for AOS. If you haven't already submitted your DS260, I recommend you wait until after applying for OPT before submitting the DS form.
Appreciate for your response.
What is the reason behind submitting DS Form after OPT ?

1. AOS interview could be anywhere from the month the CN is current to several months after - hard to tell. It all depends on your wife's FO.

2. You can't submit the Ds260 form for yourself without your wife first submitting, and since you're planning on doing follow to join, I suggest the sooner the better. Your interview is already going to be delayed since your wife must be approved first, you don't want to further things with additional delays.

3. Okay, so wife and kids have legal status in the US. Only issue is potential long delay before your interview.

5. Like I said, no PCC required for AOS. PCC validity varies, I can't tell you how long yours will be valid for. Read the instructions from the link on your wife's selectee notification letter for guidance on your own PCC requirements.

6. No, you cannot extend the visa expiration date.

7. That may already be possible without you having to do anything. Your wife's interview date is currently unknown talk less of yours.
1. AOS interview could be anywhere from the month the CN is current to several months after - hard to tell. It all depends on your wife's FO.

2. You can't submit the Ds260 form for yourself without your wife first submitting, and since you're planning on doing follow to join, I suggest the sooner the better. Your interview is already going to be delayed since your wife must be approved first, you don't want to further things with additional delays.

3. Okay, so wife and kids have legal status in the US. Only issue is potential long delay before your interview.

5. Like I said, no PCC required for AOS. PCC validity varies, I can't tell you how long yours will be valid for. Read the instructions from the link on your wife's selectee notification letter for guidance on your own PCC requirements.

6. No, you cannot extend the visa expiration date.

7. That may already be possible without you having to do anything. Your wife's interview date is currently unknown talk less of yours.

1. Ok, thx.

2. My wife already submitted her DS260 for AOS, can I submit mine now for CN?

3. Potential delay means I maybe denied the opportunity?

4-7, ok, thx.

8. Is there interview for kids 15 years old?

9. For AOS, my wife submitted her DS260 already, can she call for interview now? or she has to wait for them to invite for interview?

The pictures we submitted I'm not hundred percent sure whether they were less than 6 month old, maybe 7 or 8 month old at the most? I actually took a picture of already printed pictures of us and submitted it, my questions are:
Any problems the pictures maybe 7 or 8 month old?
Any problem that I took a picture of already printed "passport like" picture?

1. Ok, thx.

1. My wife already submitted her DS260 for AOS, can I submit mine now for CN?

2. Potential delay means I maybe denied the opportunity?

4-7, ok, thx.

3. Is there interview for kids 15 years old?

4. For AOS, my wife submitted her DS260 already, can she call for interview now? or she has to wait for them to invite for interview?

1. Your DS is linked to your wife's, it's not like you can just go into CEAC and start filing out a form for yourself. A separate form should have been filled out for you when your wife submitted hers. Did your wife list you as FTJ on her own form? Did she fill out DS forms for the kids? Why wasn't one submitted for you when hers was submitted?

2. Yes.

3. Of course, yes.

4. Both you and your wife clearly don't understand the AOS process, talk less of the FTJ option you're trying to pursue. I already gave you a link to the AOS process spreadsheet. You or your wife need to go through that as a starting point.

P.s. There's no need to carryover the numbering from a previous post. Since you're putting up a new post, you can simply number them from one again like I did.

The pictures we submitted I'm not hundred percent sure whether they were less than 6 month old, maybe 7 or 8 month old at the most? I actually took a picture of already printed pictures of us and submitted it, my questions are:
Any problems the pictures maybe 7 or 8 month old?
Any problem that I took a picture of already printed "passport like" picture?

You should have followed the instructions regarding taking and using new photos not older than six months - this would have been one less thing to stress over. I don't know if this may be an issue or not, especially for the CP part of your process. It's probably not an issue for AOS.

3. Potential delay means I maybe denied the opportunity?

It could mean you miss a DV visa but if your wife is successful with the green card she can then sponsor you as spouse of a permanent resident. The process is longer though.

Got a question, since I already have EAD card currently. I was wondering while sending AOS package can I just submit i131 for AP but not to send i765 for EAD? As far as I know, the i765 submit along with i485 and i131 will return as a combo card(EAD/AP). But the EAD will expire within 1 year. However, my EAD card can use Stem extension which is longer than one year. I was thinking this because I was afraid if in the end I fail after DV interview or wait too long that pass the FY. I still have F1 and still can work.
Any advice? Thanks.

Got a question, since I already have EAD card currently. I was wondering while sending AOS package can I just submit i131 for AP but not to send i765 for EAD? As far as I know, the i765 submit along with i485 and i131 will return as a combo card(EAD/AP). But the EAD will expire within 1 year. However, my EAD card can use Stem extension which is longer than one year. I was thinking this because I was afraid if in the end I fail after DV interview or wait too long that pass the FY. I still have F1 and still can work.
Any advice? Thanks.

Yes you can apply for an AP card without applying for an EAD card. Be aware, using the AP card while your AOS petition is pending to seek re-admission into the US also invalidates your current F1 status, just like using an AOS based EAD card for authorized employment.

I won, I won, I won!!!!! I have EU***34*** number. Is this a good number or I should be worried?
I have received number 2018EU00034xxx. is it good or am I out of luck? thanks for anybody who would respond to me.
My girlfriend is one of the selectees of the DV2018. Her CN is 2018EU00036xxx.

I was selected! Around same CN.
Mine is 2018EU000340xx

Hope our numbers are not to high and we get to be interviewed

Hello to Britsimon, Sm1smom and to those who read this. First of all I am very happy.

I recently won a DV Lottery for 2018. However, I am an F-1 Student and my i-20 Visa Form - is currently from 2015-2019. I need one more year to get my Bachelor's degree.
I never played DV Lottery until the last year, and this was my first time when I played.
I have been studying in the U.S since 2012. I entered the U.S with F-1 Visa and have always been living and studying in the U.S legally.

So, now I won the lottery and do not know what to do. Yes, I am very happy, because I will have benefits to continue study and save little bit, but I need your advise. Please

1. Do I file Ds-260 and click to "Adjustment of Status" or should I go back to my country ? ( I don't want to fly back though, since I am 4-5 months away from the graduation ) ?

2. I have heard something about i485 form, and I am not sure what steps should I take and what kind of forms shall I submit first ?

3. How do I know when and where will be my interview if I select Adjustment of Status ?

3. Will this Lottery have a negative impact on my F-1 or am I fine, and just couple steps away from the Green Card ?

4. What are my chances? Are there any other any other laws that could prevent me of getting Green Card while I am on f-1 until 2019 ?

Finally , my CN is 20181TY*******BT. What does it mean? You were mentioning something about highest numbers or so. Please let me know

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yup. I have now seen an OCer ar around 24XX. THat is higher than the highest number in DV2015 - so that means more than 3500 OCers - that's crazy.

Hello,

My CN is 20181TY*******BT. What does it mean? You were mentioning something about highest numbers or so. Please let me know