• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 Winners Meet Here

Hello,

my DV Visa expiry date is in one month from now, so I ll fly to the US within the next three weeks.

However, I 'll have to come back quite soon (I run a small business) and will need several more months to plan moving my company to US.

According to several information on the web, it takes about 4-5 weeks for the plastic green card to be delivered to the specified US address.

Does this 4-5 weeks time start from the payment of the 165$ fee or is it meant from the landing date on the US territory (having already paid the fee, of course)?
In other words, does it make a difference if I pay the immigrant fee today or one week before getting to the US?

Also, would I be able to apply for a re-entry permit as soon as I get my I-551, without having to wait for the green card?

Any help will be highly appreciated, thank you!

Hello,

my DV Visa expiry date is in one month from now, so I ll fly to the US within the next three weeks.

However, I 'll have to come back quite soon (I run a small business) and will need several more months to plan moving my company to US.

According to several information on the web, it takes about 4-5 weeks for the plastic green card to be delivered to the specified US address.

Does this 4-5 weeks time start from the payment of the 165$ fee or is it meant from the landing date on the US territory (having already paid the fee, of course)?
In other words, does it make a difference if I pay the immigrant fee today or one week before getting to the US?

Also, would I be able to apply for a re-entry permit as soon as I get my I-551, without having to wait for the green card?

Any help will be highly appreciated, thank you!

The GC production will only start after entering the US regardless of if the GC fee was made weeks or months prior to landing. And it may sometimes take more than the 4-5 weeks estimate you've been told to receive the GC.

Yes, you can apply for the re-entry permit prior to receiving the plastic GC. But be aware, you will need to make sure you've given yourself enough time to at least do the biometrics required for the re-entry permit before you leave the US back to your home country.

The GC production will only start after entering the US regardless of if the GC fee was made weeks or months prior to landing. And it may sometimes take more than the 4-5 weeks estimate you've been told to receive the GC.

Yes, you can apply for the re-entry permit prior to receiving the plastic GC. But be aware, you will need to make sure you've given yourself enough time to at least do the biometrics required for the re-entry permit before you leave the US back to your home country.

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. Just a couple of more questions if possibile...so how long would you suggest to remain to obtain the permit?
will i be able to start the application procedure on the spot, once landed?
Thank you in advance

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. Just a couple of more questions if possibile...so how long would you suggest to remain to obtain the permit?
will i be able to start the application procedure on the spot, once landed?
Thank you in advance

To obtain the permit itself, may take more 3 months plus, however you don't have to remain in the US to obtain the permit, you just have to stay till the biometric is done following which you can leave. There's allowance for one to pick up the re-entry permit from an applicable US embassy in a foreign country, if you indicate on the application form for it to be sent there. Alternatively, you can have it delivered to a US address if you have a trustworthy person who can receive and forward it to you.

The application cannot be done on the spot at the POE. However there's no law that says you can send out the application on your very first day of being a LPR.

Many many thanks Sm1mom for the invaluable help. I ll try to arrange things in order to stay till the biometrics are done.
Regards

Hi everybody,
Could somebody explain to me the meaning of blue, pink and yellow sheet received after the interview in Nairobie?

Hi everybody,
Could somebody explain to me the meaning of blue, pink and yellow sheet received after the interview in Nairobie?
Not sure this is in any way specific to the US Consulate in Nairobi or DV cases per se, yet here is some information on colored 221(g) slips:

Blue Slip: A 221g Blue slip is being provided when additional documentation is required. After submitting the required documents, a decision will be taken by the Consulate.

Pink Slip: A 221g Pink slip is handed out when your application needs further administrative processing. The consulate will notify you once the processing will be completed.

Yellow Slip: A 221 g Yellow slip denotes general types of administrative processing. The Consulate looks at all the documentation provided by the candidate.

White Slip: A 221g White slip suggests a requirement for further processing by USCIS. The Consulate may push back these cases to USCIS and a decision will subsequently taken if and when respective information has been obtained from them.

Refusal under Section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act indicates that your visa case process can be on hold for various reasons, such as administrative processing, requirement of additional documents, medical tests, insufficient validity of passport, etc. Issue of 221g does not necessarily mean that the visa is/will be rejected, but it means that the CO couldn’t take a decision based on existing documentation and requires additional information for further review and decision taking.

Last edited:
Greetings every body. I've read most of the form and how informative everyone here is. so I have problems which needs your Help. My case # is 2016af######98
And my appointment date was match 7. But unfortunately I didn't make it to my appointment due to my passport delayed by the immigration up to march 18th
So can any one tell me how can I regain appointment please.

Greetings every body. I've read most of the form and how informative everyone here is. so I have problems which needs your Help. My case # is 2016af######98
And my appointment date was match 7. But unfortunately I didn't make it to my appointment due to my passport delayed by the immigration up to march 18th
So can any one tell me how can I regain appointment please.

Did you inform the embassy you were not going to be able to make the appointment or you simply didn't show up? You could have still attended the interview without your passport, and they would have put you on AP at the end of the interview pending the passport presentation. It looks more like you've lost this opportunity! Anyway, contact the embassy to see if they will be willing to reschedule you.

Did you inform the embassy you were not going to be able to make the appointment or you simply didn't show up? You could have still attended the interview without your passport, and they would have put you on AP at the end of the interview pending the passport presentation. It looks more like you've lost this opportunity! Anyway, contact the embassy to see if they will be willing to reschedule you.
I have not attended. My agent told me to first get passport and now he has sent request email to the embassy. But I feel no solution from my agent end. Am in desperate need of help like yours. All my reading from this forum tough me all your answers are accurate, helpful, truth forward and free. So I guess I should contact the embassy. But how can I do that??

You find the email address of the embassy in the city you are in and email them explaining your situation and asking for a reschedule. If I were you, I'd stop taking advice from your agent who may have just lost you a green card.

You find the email address of the embassy in the city you are in and email them explaining your situation and asking for a reschedule. If I were you, I'd stop taking advice from your agent who may have just lost you a green card.

Exactly this, such a pity you didn't find the forum before you listened to your agent.

May I ask what country you are from, Fekadu? It is easier to re-schedule in some countries than others, though in all cases I believe the interview letter tells you to contact the embassy if you can't make the appointment. Did you get the letter yourself or did your agent get it?

I have not attended. My agent told me to first get passport and now he has sent request email to the embassy. But I feel no solution from my agent end. Am in desperate need of help like yours. All my reading from this forum tough me all your answers are accurate, helpful, truth forward and free. So I guess I should contact the embassy. But how can I do that??

Your agent obviously has no clue regarding the DV process hence his dumb suggestion which may have possibly cost you this opportunity. And I hope you haven't already paid this agent!

You should be able to find your embassy's email address from their website. Use that to contact them yourself, stop depending on the unreliable agent.

Good grief.

Exactly this, such a pity you didn't find the forum before you listened to your agent.

May I ask what country you are from, Fekadu? It is easier to re-schedule in some countries than others, though in all cases I believe the interview letter tells you to contact the embassy if you can't make the appointment. Did you get the letter yourself or did your agent get it?
I am from Ethiopia. And I sure did "fired" my agent and I have sent email to ( passaddis@state.gov ) if am correct and waiting for a reply. You all seem very informed so I just wish ethio is one of the embassy that could grant me my second chance.

Your agent obviously has no clue regarding the DV process hence his dumb suggestion which may have possibly cost you this opportunity. And I hope you haven't already paid this agent!

You should be able to find your embassy's email address from their website. Use that to contact them yourself, stop depending on the unreliable agent.
Thanks sm1mom am no longer with my so called agent and wish me luck since I've sent the embassy an email.