• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Tracking GC delivery via USCIS ELIS

They called me back and it looks like one of my former roommate was there when the postman arrived, took it and I don't know what he did with it...so now i have to file an I-90. yay!
I am afraid your example emphasizes the significant underlying weakness in respect to the Green Card issuing/distribution process, identified by USCIS already. The question now is: what can and needs to be done to cut back on the obvious fraud, inherent in the current process.
As your I-551 card also serves as official identification document inside the US and can be used for all types of sensitive transactions, you may want to watch out for any indications of suspected identity fraud!

I am afraid your example emphasizes the significant underlying weakness in respect to the Green Card issuing/distribution process, identified by USCIS already. The question now is: what can and needs to be done to cut back on the obvious fraud, inherent in the current process.
As your I-551 card also serves as official identification document inside the US and can be used for all types of sensitive transactions, you may want to watch out for any indications of suspected identity fraud!
Will do! I already contacted USCIS so they know I don't have it. Thanks:)

!

What a strange response, it was delivered to a valid resident at the address she had put. Where is the fraud? Just like mine was delivered, in my case to my father. You do realize that very many DV winners get their plastic green cards delivered this way, while they are not in the country? Of course most people seem to be able to track people resident at the address they gave.

What a strange response, it was delivered to a valid resident at the address she had put. Where is the fraud? Just like mine was delivered, in my case to my father. You do realize that very many DV winners get their plastic green cards delivered this way, while they are not in the country? Of course most people seem to be able to track people resident at the address they gave.
Well I forgot to mention that I gave my apartment number during the interview and I tripled checked when I was at POE that they had it. It says on the USPS website that there apartment number was not included in the address... So either they brought it back to the post office (where I need to go back again) or someone random took it. I don't find that 'strange' to be angry at both USCIS for not doing their job and writing the full address and for the postman to give letters to strangers without their I.D.s

Well I forgot to mention that I gave my apartment number during the interview and I tripled checked when I was at POE that they had it. It says on the USPS website that there apartment number was not included in the address... So either they brought it back to the post office (where I need to go back again) or someone random took it. I don't find that 'strange' to be angry at both USCIS for not doing their job and writing the full address and for the postman to give letters to strangers without their I.D.s

I thought you said your roommate received it?

Requiring ID means they can only deliver when the named person is actually around to receive it, which is incredibly inconvenient if not impossible for many or most recipients. Even less convenient, requiring everyone to visit a FO in person which is probably the only solution to this 'problem' which quite honestly affects a tiny minority. I'm sorry you are one of those but in general everyone prefers solutions that work well for the majority rather than inconveniencing every single person for the 1% or 0.5% or whatever who don't work smoothly.

I thought you said your roommate received it?

Requiring ID means they can only deliver when the named person is actually around to receive it, which is incredibly inconvenient if not impossible for many or most recipients. Even less convenient, requiring everyone to visit a FO in person which is probably the only solution to this 'problem' which quite honestly affects a tiny minority. I'm sorry you are one of those but in general everyone prefers solutions that work well for the majority rather than inconveniencing every single person for the 1% or 0.5% or whatever who don't work smoothly.
My roommates, my neighbors one or the other. In any case it was stolen.:eek:

Well I forgot to mention that I gave my apartment number during the interview and I tripled checked when I was at POE that they had it. It says on the USPS website that there apartment number was not included in the address... So either they brought it back to the post office (where I need to go back again) or someone random took it.

You don't know for certain that the card is stolen. In one post you stated it was delivered to one of your numerous roommates, in another you stated your apartment number wasn't listed on the GC.

If there's no apartment number listed, then USPS couldn't have delivered it, I mean how could they have figured out which mail box to drop it into without an apartment number? How do you typically receive mail at your apartment? Do you have a mail box or USPS knocks on your door to deliver your mail? I would be surprised if USPS simply handed the mail over to someone who opened the door without requesting to see an ID (assuming they managed to figure out your apartment and they deliver right at the door).

My guess is USPS took it back and it got misplaced between them and USCIS.

You don't know for certain that the card is stolen. In one post you stated it was delivered to one of your numerous roommates, in another you stated your apartment number wasn't listed on the GC.

If there's no apartment number listed, then USPS couldn't have delivered it, I mean how could they have figured out which mail box to drop it into without an apartment number? How do you typically receive mail at your apartment? Do you have a mail box or USPS knocks on your door to deliver your mail? I would be surprised if USPS simply handed the mail over to someone who opened the door without requesting to see an ID (assuming they managed to figure out your apartment and they deliver right at the door).

My guess is USPS took it back and it got misplaced between them and USCIS.
Nope...I went to the post office and the lady told me that for Green Cards there's no need to sign anything or show an I.D. when someone picks it up. She told me that it's not the first time that it happens...
From all the info I could gather, it was handed to someone according to the USPS website when I tracked the letter. Now, my roommates knew I was waiting for it and may have been there coincidentally just at the same time that the postman came in and said 'oh I know it's my roommates' and the gullible postman handed it to them.
Anyways, all i need is some moral support while I file the freakin' I-90....:)

Nope...I went to the post office and the lady told me that for Green Cards there's no need to sign anything or show an I.D. when someone picks it up. She told me that it's not the first time that it happens...
From all the info I could gather, it was handed to someone according to the USPS website when I tracked the letter. Now, my roommates knew I was waiting for it and may have been there coincidentally just at the same time that the postman came in and said 'oh I know it's my roommates' and the gullible postman handed it to them.

And if you asked your roommates you might find one says "oh yeah, I forgot I took some mail for you, here it is"... I do find it odd you're not even trying to ask them but rather go through all this hassle. Your attitude about your roommates is really strange, you told them you were waiting for a GC but the mailman is "gullible" for giving it to them? If it was a trust problem why did you tell them about this important document coming? If it wasn't a trust problem then what did the mailman do wrong?

If USPS did not deliver then from what i understand it would have been returned to USCIS.

And again yes they do not ask people to sign. One million or so people get green cards every year. It's unrealistic to expect to them to all be at home when the mailman comes knocking. Of course it's usually not a problem either. It's usually entirely understandable to give it to someone at the address on the envelope, too. Most people trust the people at the address they give...

And if you asked your roommates you might find one says "oh yeah, I forgot I took some mail for you, here it is"... I do find it odd you're not even trying to ask them but rather go through all this hassle. Your attitude about your roommates is really strange, you told them you were waiting for a GC but the mailman is "gullible" for giving it to them? If it was a trust problem why did you tell them about this important document coming? If it wasn't a trust problem then what did the mailman do wrong?

If USPS did not deliver then from what i understand it would have been returned to USCIS.

And again yes they do not ask people to sign. One million or so people get green cards every year. It's unrealistic to expect to them to all be at home when the mailman comes knocking. Of course it's usually not a problem either. It's usually entirely understandable to give it to someone at the address on the envelope, too. Most people trust the people at the address they give...
It WAS delivered! It says 'delivered left with individual'
Seriously SusieQQQ? I have no energy to argue. Just need some moral support. Someone stole my green car for God's sake and all I get is arguing and more arguing. Of course I did ask every single roommate if they picked it up. I do trust people too. but in that case I shouldn't have!

You're right, I don't have the energy to try respond to someone whose answers keep contradicting themselves. Good luck with getting it replaced, and getting the "moral support" you need for filing the form to do so.

Nobody is trying to knock you down and I believe we've always been supportive of you in the past, there's no reason for us to not be now. We're basically trying to get to the bottom of what could have happened to the original GC, but something just isn't adding up.

Yes, no ID or signature is required when the GC is delivered. And I'm saying I don't understand how the mailman could have gone knocking on your door and gullibly handed it over unless the practice has always been for them to knock on the door to deliver all your mail. They typically leave the GC in the mailbox, it also doesn't make sense they'll have a record that says 'delivered left with individual', it just didn't make sense especially when they also say no apartment number was listed on the envelope.

Nobody is trying to knock you down and I believe we've always been supportive of you in the past, there's no reason for us to not be now. We're basically trying to get to the bottom of what could have happened to the original GC, but something just isn't adding up.

Yes, no ID or signature is required when the GC is delivered. And I'm saying I don't understand how the mailman could have gone knocking on your door and gullibly handed it over unless the practice has always been for them to knock on the door to deliver all your mail. They typically leave the GC in the mailbox, it also doesn't make sense they'll have a record that says 'delivered left with individual', it just didn't make sense especially when they also say no apartment number was listed on the envelope.
I understand mom and I really appreciate all the help very much...as always!:) What I am thinking after gathering the fact that:
1-I gave the apartment number during the interview AND at the POE BUT the lady I called from USCIS told me 'we don't have an apartment number'
2-when I track the USPS number it says the postman came twice. the first time he didn't find me because again the lady told me there is no address on the letter (this is a big building but we have a very small room downstair where all the mailboxes are located) the second time (I don't know why he came back if there was no apartment number?! who knows!) maybe it was another postman who took the letter and at that time--I am just assuming here--a roommate of mine may have recognized the enveloppe with my name on it while the postman was trying to find in which box to put it. My roommate took it saying they knew it was for because on the USPS tracking it says 'Delivered left with individual.'
I don't trust my roommates very much (I used to at first of course which is why I told them). They're a bit shady so it doesn't help either. I asked them obviously if they by any chance saw the letter but they told me they haven't.
3-To reinforce that theory I went to the post office yesterday and they said the situation already happened several times. She agrees with my theory .
I don't see any contradiction here.
I am just trying to understand what happened. Who would steal a green card? Frankly I don't know but it sucks.

She gave me a tracking number and an IOE number. None of those work. (I can't log in and I tried the tracking number for USPS, UPS and Fed EX) none of them recognize the number.

They called me back and it looks like one of my former roommate was there when the postman arrived, took it and I don't know what he did with it...so now i have to file an I-90. yay!

Not as simple as that unfortunately. I've had a lot of roommates before finding a job and being able to afford a $1,000/ month apartment...so out of the maybe 6+ roommates I am not sure who it was...

2-when I track the USPS number it says the postman came twice. the first time he didn't find me because again the lady told me there is no address on the letter (this is a big building but we have a very small room downstair where all the mailboxes are located) the second time (I don't know why he came back if there was no apartment number?! who knows!) maybe it was another postman who took the letter and at that time--I am just assuming here--a roommate of mine may have recognized the enveloppe with my name on it while the postman was trying to find in which box to put it. My roommate took it saying they knew it was for because on the USPS tracking it says 'Delivered left with individual.'
I don't trust my roommates very much (I used to at first of course which is why I told them). They're a bit shady so it doesn't help either. I asked them obviously if they by any chance saw the letter but they told me they haven't.
3-To reinforce that theory I went to the post office yesterday and they said the situation already happened several times. She agrees with my theory .
I don't see any contradiction here.
I am just trying to understand what happened. Who would steal a green card? Frankly I don't know but it sucks.

Apart from the story changes, honestly read above and you vary between a roommate, a neighbor or being returned to the post office, I'd be interested in seeing a screenshot of the USPS tracking , that seemingly now works.
I've read many, many, many reports on USPS delivering USCIS Mail - because it took me over 4 months and congressperson intervention to get my GC- and I've never before heard of USPS "trying again" if the card is undeliverable the first time. If no specific number etc it gets sent back to USCIS. And I've never heard of any details such as "left with individual" on USPS mail that does not require signing. Ditto the bit about no apartment number being on the tracking info. Not saying it never happens, but I've never heard of it, so would be interested in seeing a screenshot (identifying details removed of course). This may help others.

When was all this supposed to have happened? The lady at the post office knew all the details yet didn't know if it was the same postman or not?

(I must admit to being curious at the accommodation arrangements, seeing as you gave the address before entering the US yet had all these roommates there, though that's not central to the story.)

Actually never mind, it doesn't matter showing all the contradictions, there's nothing to be done now other than filing for a new one.

Actually never mind, it doesn't matter showing all the contradictions, there's nothing to be done now other than filing for a new one.
On occasions you do have a rather strange way of talking down to people @SusieQQQ, no wonder really that some folks respond to your input the way they do on this forum. Anyway, always seeking to have the last word in postings does not suggest in any way that your pov is correct... :rolleyes:

On occasions you do have a rather strange way of talking down to people @SusieQQQ, no wonder really that some folks respond to your input the way they do on this forum. Anyway, always seeking to have the last word in postings does not suggest in any way that your pov is correct... :rolleyes:

You may be correct, albeit the same may very easily be said of some of yours, as indeed I have pointed out in the past. And I will point out that it is difficult to know how to help people when you can't get the real story.

Nevertheless I think it has been by now well established by Linda, or at least according to her now, that the problem is not in fact USCIS or USPS but dishonest roommates, there is not much to expect USCIS to do to ensure people at the same address are honest enough to receive mail addressed there...

Last edited:
What happened when you didnt have created your account but insted just log in and do the payment
You don't really need to open an acc like it use to be.
I help about 8 people for the payment without the acc opening...
They all got their GCs except one !
Some of them didn't receive it within the 60 days, so they had to inquire it at the local immigration office.
Just wait 60 days after your payment, if not recieved just let them know, you will eventually get it. Some cases take up to 5 months....