• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 KENYAN SELECTEES FORUM

I have this question ?
You have been selected for further processing of diversity immagrant visa programme....
And perhaps you are working for the government back in your own country..
And now you are like a government asset...
Whats yours ideas on what one should do

You decide on whether you want to stay back in your country and remain "a government asset" or you want to explore the possibility of a more enhanced life in the U.S. Your selection, your call, your choice.

I have this question ?
You have been selected for further processing of diversity immagrant visa programme....
And perhaps you are working for the government back in your own country..
And now you are like a government asset...
Whats yours ideas on what one should do

If you're happy with where you are in life, stay there. If you feel a move will be good for you and the family, by all means go. I had the same dilemma in the beginning. Succesful business and comfortable life here vs a new challenge in the USA. I think the security situation in Kenya was my biggest deciding factor.

Ooh you dont say.....
I bilieve.....its just but a matter of deciding what one's wants best.....
And if you don't mind sharing......
@usamommy2015
What did security situation had to do with it being a big problem for you please ??

Ooh you dont say.....
I bilieve.....its just but a matter of deciding what one's wants best.....
And if you don't mind sharing......
@usamommy2015
What did security situation had to do with it being a big problem for you please ??

One of trucks was stolen with goods. Sounds of gunshots in Parklands every other day and harassment by traffic police. I didn't even do anything. That day I said, i'd rather live middle class in a First world country vs. Upper class in a third world country.

One of trucks was stolen with goods. Sounds of gunshots in Parklands every other day and harassment by traffic police. I didn't even do anything. That day I said, i'd rather live middle class in a First world country vs. Upper class in a third world country.
You are right...and after all, i know you are happy with that decision you made...
I know it was a tough and great challenge for you.....thank God u made it after all...

Itz better i be open...because i feel my case is different bt not as such ,"I'm a dv2016 selectee, currently serving as a Police Officer in the Kenyan Police. I have a little concern about my case because I guess it's a different one considering I work for the Kenyan government as a law enforcer. So my question is will I be needed to provide extra documentations? Apart from the one's listed on their website. Thank you
Please advise me on past experience if anyone had ever encountered a person of such scenario because as for me its a golden opportunity .....

Today would have been the earliest ever. Some time next week.
hi @Britsimon I'm following your instructions on ds260 form and am getting confused with education part
1. they ask for number of institutions attended and of which here we study high school in two sects first one is ORDINARY LEVEL and final one being ADVANCED LEVEL of which I have all there certificates. so should I write 2 as the institutions attended?
2. Am having high school certificate which is equivalent to what is needed. so should I put HIGH SCHOOL NO DEGREE OR HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA but remember they just give us certificates for high school.
3.And now my last question, do I need just to provide them with only the final level of education or I can write from the first ordinary level and the Advanced level.
4. finally with the course study on the help hint they told us that if you are of high school, you can put either "academic" or vocation" bcoz with high school we don't specialize on any major like as on university were you will do let's say software engineering. so in high school we just did those subjects so what should I fill. I think you also saw it on the right hand corner that HELP THING written. THANX

hi @Britsimon I'm following your instructions on ds260 form and am getting confused with education part
1. they ask for number of institutions attended and of which here we study high school in two sects first one is ORDINARY LEVEL and final one being ADVANCED LEVEL of which I have all there certificates. so should I write 2 as the institutions attended?
2. Am having high school certificate which is equivalent to what is needed. so should I put HIGH SCHOOL NO DEGREE OR HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA but remember they just give us certificates for high school.
3.And now my last question, do I need just to provide them with only the final level of education or I can write from the first ordinary level and the Advanced level.
4. finally with the course study on the help hint they told us that if you are of high school, you can put either "academic" or vocation" bcoz with high school we don't specialize on any major like as on university were you will do let's say software engineering. so in high school we just did those subjects so what should I fill. I think you also saw it on the right hand corner that HELP THING written. THANX

You need to list all your schools so O levels and A levels as well.
2. You should put High School Diploma
3. Academic means classroom studies. Vocational means specialized studies like carpentry or automechanics (what you do at Polytechnic) For high school you should put academic.

Itz better i be open...because i feel my case is different bt not as such ,"I'm a dv2016 selectee, currently serving as a Police Officer in the Kenyan Police. I have a little concern about my case because I guess it's a different one considering I work for the Kenyan government as a law enforcer. So my question is will I be needed to provide extra documentations? Apart from the one's listed on their website. Thank you
Please advise me on past experience if anyone had ever encountered a person of such scenario because as for me its a golden opportunity .....
@Britsimon......@Usamommy2015......@Sm1smom....and others help pliz ''!!!

@Britsimon......@Usamommy2015......@Sm1smom....and others help pliz ''!!!

Yes. I think there is SOME extra paperwork for you. There was a case of someone who worked in Kenya Army in the 2015 forum so you would need to look that up. I think they needed an NOC from the department in addition to regular documents.

To the best of my knowledge, there's no extra document required. Working as a cop is not the same as serving as a military personnel.

To the best of my knowledge, there's no extra document required. Working as a cop is not the same as serving as a military personnel.

He should still confirm. You cannot just leave a Government job as far as I know especially if you work in a sensitive sector like CID. You'd need at the very least permission from your immediate seniors.

He should still confirm. You cannot just leave a Government job as far as I know especially if you work in a sensitive sector like CID. You'd need at the very least permission from your immediate seniors.

That's not the same as the consulate needing to see any documents for the interview, especially when they tell you not to resign ahead of time.

And what are you saying, that they can stop him resigning a job as a police officer? We are talking Kenya, not North Korea, right?

Of course the OP is free to "confirm" from whom ever he needs to confirm from, there's no part of my response that says he has to take my response as the final say.

Now, having said that I reiterate, AFAIK, someone working as a cop isn't required to present additional papers like the military documents someone working in the military is required to present at the time of their interview. The reason they insist on military papers being presented is to ensure that the GC isn't being issued to someone who is still obligated to serve in their home country, not necessarily because their country wouldn't let them go.

Part of the reason has to do with the fact that the U.S. would like to believe they'll have the loyalty of their LPRs, if God forbids, another world war breaks out. They certainly don't want a situation of a GC holder who is still obligated to serve in his home country's military and is using a re-entry permit or some other means to maintain his GC while going back home to actively serve. I don't think they really care about an already issued visa going to waste because the petitioner isn't able to secure the needed "permission" from their supervisor to leave their job.

That's not the same as the consulate needing to see any documents for the interview, especially when they tell you not to resign ahead of time.

And what are you saying, that they can stop him resigning a job as a police officer? We are talking Kenya, not North Korea, right?

Yes. Especially after the Al-Shabaab attacks. I think some dockets are very sensitive. Also, the police in Kenya do not operate as elsewhere eg. You can be posted anywhere. I am assuming he said he is an 'asset' to the government because he must hold a senior post. I must add I have never seen a neglected and misused post as much as the Kenya Police. Pray you never have to go to the statiom, because it smells of urine and the walls and stuff are so grimy. And mind you, you will not leave the station without parting with a bribe irregardless of whether you were the accuser or accused. Corruption has become such a culture. These rules are in place supposedly to protect 'us'. I am no expert, so lets not argue over something I don't know much about.

Yes. Especially after the Al-Shabaab attacks. I think some dockets are very sensitive. Also, the police in Kenya do not operate as elsewhere eg. You can be posted anywhere. I am assuming he said he is an 'asset' to the government because he must hold a senior post. I must add I have never seen a neglected and misused post as much as the Kenya Police. Pray you never have to go to the statiom, because it smells of urine and the walls and stuff are so grimy. And mind you, you will not leave the station without parting with a bribe irregardless of whether you were the accuser or accused. Corruption has become such a culture. These rules are in place supposedly to protect 'us'. I am no expert, so lets not argue over something I don't know much about.

Well, if he is an "asset" from what you say then he is not just a normal policeman. Still does not mean he needs to bring anything special to the interview. It might mean that he gets subjected to a stricter background check than othe Kenyans.

Am thankfull to all your facts and opinion.......itz of great help since am working 4 the government........
Police is not the same as military .....
But i needed to hear your version pertaining my case if there will b extra paper work needed if by any chance there has ever been a person of my case if the forumn.....or maybe encountered one.....
For anyone who has got little knowledge pliz share and i will really appreciate......

Otherwise your comments are really of great help coz i can see itz not that hard as i thought but i wil continue on consulting..........
Thanks all !!!!!!

Just started early preparation, I applied for police certificates from u.k. I lived there with my husband for 7 yrs. Honestly I could have missed out on this cause I thought it's only country where you currently are required.
Police Validity expires after 6 months. Quite very early for u to do this. otherwise good luck next year

Police Validity expires after 6 months. Quite very early for u to do this. otherwise good luck next year
Police certificates from u. K. I left there 2008. So validity period on country you lived previously really doesn't matter.

Police certificates from u. K. I left there 2008. So validity period on country you lived previously really doesn't matter.

Actually, this is a broad statement that's been known to put people under AP in the past - the claim that the validity period of PCC from a country you've previously lived really doesn't matter. If you have a higher CN likely to become current next year and you get a PCC from a country you no longer reside at this year, the CO has every right to insist on a more recently issued PCC from that country at the time of your interview, as they have no way of knowing if you've since gone back to that country since the last time you claimed you were there. Don't assume they will simply take your word that you've not gone back at face value.