• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

Hello again,first i would just like to thank everyone here for all the support and all the valuable infos u give,u guys just don't know how helpful u r to us,so thank u.
Now i have a question,i had my IGSCE certificate from Saudi Arabia with 7 subjects,then entered dentistry college in Sudan,and now i have a Bachelor degree in dentistry,the question is,is my high school certificate qualifying?!its not an A level as u can see

Hello again,first i would just like to thank everyone here for all the support and all the valuable infos u give,u guys just don't know how helpful u r to us,so thank u.
Now i have a question,i had my IGSCE certificate from Saudi Arabia with 7 subjects,then entered dentistry college in Sudan,and now i have a Bachelor degree in dentistry,the question is,is my high school certificate qualifying?!its not an A level as u can see

Are you now a dentist - if so, for how long?

That is a good summary. From Step 5 onward the process is very different for aos. So - it would be best to stop aos people reading right there as a relatively small percentage of people doing aos.

For your own case, yes, travelling out of the US can affect you at certain points during your aos process. Depending on what sort of visa you have you might be best to delay your DS260 submission. I suggest you start logging in to the DV2015 AOS thread here, and ask Sm1smom for clarity about that (with some more detail about what visa you are on currently).

As you have rightly understood, there is no rush to submit the DS260. Your number does indeed mean you have to wait until May-ish - so your latest submission of the DS260 will probably be around Jan of next year - plenty of time to wait and get more info on how the process works.
Dear Britsimon,
With a CN of 2015EU00039XXX, could you tell me if my number is approximately high or low?
Thanking You,
Annanz

Dear Britsimon,
With a CN of 2015EU00039XXX, could you tell me if my number is approximately high or low?
Thanking You,
Annanz

THat is at the high end but in DV2014 that would have gone current in August - so that should encourage you.

I graduated in August 2012,and now am in the last 3 months of my internship,by October i'll be permanently registered as a Dentist in my country
This being the case, you may want to have a close look into the necessary steps and overall process to have your medical degree as dentist in your country recognized here in the US in general and, specifically, in the US State where you are planning to settle. You may find this to be rather tedious and, possibly, frustrating - I don't hope so. Good luck and all success!

I graduated in August 2012,and now am in the last 3 months of my internship,by October i'll be permanently registered as a Dentist in my country

I was hoping you would have had at least 2 years of experience which would have made the education level moot. I don't think you can count the internship as work experience as it is the period of training.

Truthfully, I am wavering on your case. The acceptable standard for education is probably defined as A level in Saudi Arabia (which I assume one would normally get after 18 years old). I'm guessing the IGCSE certificates are obtainable at 16 - is that right?

Then the rules specifically exclude vocational schools - and I think that would effectively exclude the dentistry college you attended in Sudan. I guess that was 2 years full time?

You then undertook your Bachelors and some COs have been known to discount higher degrees because the rules call for US High school equivalent (12 years of primary and secondary education).

So, strictly speaking, I don't think you qualify on education and you don't qualify on work experience (which is an either/or alternative). However, given your degree, internship and choice of career I think there is a chance that you would be approved by some COs. So - if you attend the interview you may get approved or denied. If denied you will have lost your medical fees, and application fees - but if you are willing to risk that and your time/emotional investment it would be worth applying.

Other people may see this differently of course...

By the way, I am sure you realize that you would most likely have to jump through some hoops to re-qualify as a dentist in the States. Well worth it though.

I heard some rumors that DV 2015 has been cancelled. Is that true? Please has anyone gotten any facts to backup these claims? Thanks.

I heard some rumors that DV 2015 has been cancelled. Is that true? Please has anyone gotten any facts to backup these claims? Thanks.

An immigration bill without DV passed the Senate, another bill without DV passed the House. This is probably where the rumour came from, but both houses need to pass the same bill and then Obama needs to sign it, so there is currently no change to the law. The Senate is Democrat, the House is Republican and the President Democrat. The houses keep sending each other bills the other house doesn't like. (Obama doesn't veto much so I wouldn't expect much help there.)

You'd be mistaken if you think the fighting relates to DV. The immigration debate has nothing to do with DV, since both sides pretty much agree it should be cancelled. DV is a sideshow that only we think is important. The debate revolves around amnesty visas for illegal immigrants and border security with Mexico. Mexican Americans are a large voting block and many have relatives or friends without legal status. Border state Republicans (McCain / Rubio etc) and Democrats want an amnesty to curry the Mexican vote while Republicans and Blue Dog Democrats don't.

As long as the political football continues we should be safe, but who knows. The mid-terms are coming in November and the Republicans are predicted to make big inroads in the senate but maybe not enough to take control.

An immigration bill without DV passed the Senate, another bill without DV passed the House. This is probably where the rumour came from, but both houses need to pass the same bill and then Obama needs to sign it, so there is currently no change to the law. The Senate is Democrat, the House is Republican and the President Democrat. The houses keep sending each other bills the other house doesn't like. (Obama doesn't veto much so I wouldn't expect much help there.)

You'd be mistaken if you think the fighting relates to DV. The immigration debate has nothing to do with DV, since both sides pretty much agree it should be cancelled. DV is a sideshow that only we think is important. The debate revolves around amnesty visas for illegal immigrants and border security with Mexico. Mexican Americans are a large voting block and many have relatives or friends without legal status. Border state Republicans (McCain / Rubio etc) and Democrats want an amnesty to curry the Mexican vote while Republicans and Blue Dog Democrats don't.

As long as the political football continues we should be safe, but who knows. The mid-terms are coming in November and the Republicans are predicted to make big inroads in the senate but maybe not enough to take control.

Agree with all of that - but the rumors were about DV2015 being cancelled. It has been started and DV2016 has been announced as coming soon (on the June VB and elsewhere). So - even if the law changed tomorrow, DV2016 would most likely still go ahead - and DV2015 most certainly would. And that is if the law changed tomorrow (which it won't).

So yeah - I'm back to "the claim is stooopid" (which is why I couldn't be bothered to write all that you very helpfully did...

I was hoping you would have had at least 2 years of experience which would have made the education level moot. I don't think you can count the internship as work experience as it is the period of training.

Truthfully, I am wavering on your case. The acceptable standard for education is probably defined as A level in Saudi Arabia (which I assume one would normally get after 18 years old). I'm guessing the IGCSE certificates are obtainable at 16 - is that right?

Then the rules specifically exclude vocational schools - and I think that would effectively exclude the dentistry college you attended in Sudan. I guess that was 2 years full time?

You then undertook your Bachelors and some COs have been known to discount higher degrees because the rules call for US High school equivalent (12 years of primary and secondary education).

So, strictly speaking, I don't think you qualify on education and you don't qualify on work experience (which is an either/or alternative). However, given your degree, internship and choice of career I think there is a chance that you would be approved by some COs. So - if you attend the interview you may get approved or denied. If denied you will have lost your medical fees, and application fees - but if you are willing to risk that and your time/emotional investment it would be worth applying.

Other people may see this differently of course...

By the way, I am sure you realize that you would most likely have to jump through some hoops to re-qualify as a dentist in the States. Well worth it though.
Thanx for ur reply,well yes IGCSE is usually obtained before the age of 16,but so as the sudanese high school certificate which is obtained in 11 years,but still i know lots of people from Sudan getting their green card on the high school qualification,that exactly what makes me confused,in Sudan and in other countries they do accept ur O level or the sudanese certificate for entering college onward (such as Egypt,Malaysia,and many others),its really confusing,maybe as u said it depends on the CO who will interview me,worrrying enough

Thanx for ur reply,well yes IGCSE is usually obtained before the age of 16,but so as the sudanese high school certificate which is obtained in 11 years,but still i know lots of people from Sudan getting their green card on the high school qualification,that exactly what makes me confused,in Sudan and in other countries they do accept ur O level or the sudanese certificate for entering college onward (such as Egypt,Malaysia,and many others),its really confusing,maybe as u said it depends on the CO who will interview me,worrrying enough

So the IGCSE would not be acceptable for entering a US university - and that is the point. Vocational education is not acceptable.

So in theory you should be found not qualified, but I just can't see that happening. I tend to think you will get the visa, so well worth the risk. Good luck. Please let us know what happens.

So the IGCSE would not be acceptable for entering a US university - and that is the point. Vocational education is not acceptable.

So in theory you should be found not qualified, but I just can't see that happening. I tend to think you will get the visa, so well worth the risk. Good luck. Please let us know what happens.
Yes, undoubtedly correct, no question. An important point Mutazmusharaf has to keep in mind, and you had briefly mentioned this to him in an earlier response already, is that getting admitted under the DV-Visa Program, based on his training and education as a dentist in his country, and being subsequently able to practice his profession here in the US are two very different things. Specifically professionals in the medical field are continuously struggling with this matter and there has been and continuous to be a lot of heartbreak related to it, if this not effectively understood beforehand. Clearly, this is outside of the DV focus of this forum and Mutazmusharaf has been effectively encouraged to research this matter in some detail, in case he intends to practice at any time here in the US.

Yes, undoubtedly correct, no question. An important point Mutazmusharaf has to keep in mind, and you had briefly mentioned this to him in an earlier response already, is that getting admitted under the DV-Visa Program, based on his training and education as a dentist in his country, and being subsequently able to practice his profession here in the US are two very different things. Specifically professionals in the medical field are continuously struggling with this matter and there has been and continuous to be a lot of heartbreak related to it, if this not effectively understood beforehand. Clearly, this is outside of the DV focus of this forum and Mutazmusharaf has been effectively encouraged to research this matter in some detail, in case he intends to practice at any time here in the US.

Yep agreed. However Mutazmusharaf is starting out in his career - so to move now and have to do some period of retraining is less impactful to him that it would be to someone further down their career path - and it will be worthwhile. Dentists can earn a very nice living here - http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291021.htm

Yep agreed. However Mutazmusharaf is starting out in his career - so to move now and have to do some period of retraining is less impactful to him that it would be to someone further down their career path - and it will be worthwhile. Dentists can earn a very nice living here - http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291021.htm

Yep, possibly he may find the enclosed PDF document and information of help in the process (Recognition of Foreign Qualifications: Professional Recognition, International Affairs Office, U.S. Department of Education, http://www.ed.gov/international/usnei/us/profrecog.doc ).

Attachments

• Recognition of Foreign Qualifications.pdf
    157.4 KB · Views: 27
Yep, possibly he may find the enclosed PDF document and information of help in the process (Recognition of Foreign Qualifications: Professional Recognition, International Affairs Office, U.S. Department of Education, http://www.ed.gov/international/usnei/us/profrecog.doc ).
Well thank u alot EURO2014 and Britsimon,i know i have a long exhausting way to go to be able to practice my job in the US and am willing to go through it,as Britsimon said,am jst starting so yea i think i can handle it,the infos u provided r very helpful as well..anyway the only worrying part for me now is getting the greencard,so i can persue my career in the US..