• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there, I am new to the forum. I am also a DV-2014 winner, my number is AS4XXX-5XXX. I have been reading and learning a lot from this forum since I found out I was selected. btw, I am doing AOS, and I sent the form to KCC in mid-June (confirmed they received it through email)

Today, I got an email from KCC, its a notification letter saying I should do AOS with the local USCIS office when my number is current. I am kind of confused coz I see many of you and DV-2013 winners sent their forms to chicago office instead of local USCIS office. Is it a new thing? Have any of you received this same email???

That's the standard email response from KCC, (nothing new about it), it however doesn't mean you send your I-485 package to your local office directly, it has to be sent to the Chicago Lockbox.

Go over the attached spreadsheet for more information regarding the necessary steps for filing:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AozhLxh12qzYdDU3WkxHaFFtdVI4Y01oTFc3ZnZlb1E#gid=0

Yeah, no, the AOS is only way for me, because I haven't left the country in like 5 years, because of various internships during summers or school complications; besides, my family visited me here and there, so I saved money on air travel and things like that.

I just don't know if they would issue me another I-20 for Master's, once I send out my AOS package. Since the USCIS will receive two things on my behalf: issue me a new I-20 for Graduate school, because I'm trying to switch from a program that is about to conclude, and an AOS. They would think I'm trying to BS them, which I'm not, because I do truly want to go to Gradschool.

Why would you need to apply for another I-20 after sending in your AOS package? If you do that, you stand a HIGH risk of having BOTH applications denied as they are 2 contradictory applications! You can attend grad school, or any other program you're interested in doing once your AOS process successfully concludes.

As long as the bank statements are recent enough and the amount is sufficient to cover a year of living cost (which is required for F-1 anyway), you should be ok. If you submit the AOS in, say, March, it's a good idea to have bank statements for February.

Thanks a lot Hexa!

I got confused about financial support, as an F1 student my family is my sponsor, and I got 2 bank statements from overseas, one for me and one for my father! Is it enough or do I need smth else besides?

The IO might be willing to consider them. However, if you can get someone in the US to fill out an I-134 for you, you should seriously consider that option.

The IO might be willing to consider them. However, if you can get someone in the US to fill out an I-134 for you, you should seriously consider that option.

Thanks for reply Sm1smom. I don't really have nobody here to fill for me that form, I have been in US for 2 years and my father was supporting me financially. And I only have bank statements that are not even from here, but back home. Do you have any other suggestions, and why do you think they will not accept my bank statements?

No, I did not indicate the IO WILL not accept your foreign bank statements. What I indicated was that he MAY or MAY NOT for the simple fact that they are not statements from a US bank (which they can easily relate to). They could be of the opinion that you do not have direct/easy access to those accounts unlike if they were US based accounts. But then, if that's all you have, then you just have to attend your interview with them and hope the IO wouldn't make an issue of it.

Thanks for reply Sm1smom. I don't really have nobody here to fill for me that form, I have been in US for 2 years and my father was supporting me financially. And I only have bank statements that are not even from here, but back home. Do you have any other suggestions, and why do you think they will not accept my bank statements?

I think if you can show at least $19,387 (preferrably under your name) on the bank statements, you should be good. That is the amount required for two people in a household according to I-864P, since you're alone then it can only be less. F-1 requirements are actually more stringent than DV when it comes to financial ability. An F-1 must show that he has enough money to live for a year, plus tuition and health insurance. For college that's usually north of $30,000 these days.

Having somebody fills out an I-134 can only help, but don't be discouraged if you can't find one. Just submit the application with the bank statements that got you the I-20. Unless you get a very inexperienced IO it shouldn't be an issue.

We made a few phone calls today. None offered that they would bill our Insurance plan, because "it's not medically necessary" they said. Methinks it's more for the reason you pointed out.

Check out this post, couldn't quite locate the one where the NY CS's contact information was actually mentioned on the thread.

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?548095-DV-2013-AOS-Only/page14&p=2590245#post2590245

It's worth contacting the OP like I suggested before if you haven't done so yet.

I think if you can show at least $19,387 (preferrably under your name) on the bank statements, you should be good. That is the amount required for two people in a household according to I-864P, since you're alone then it can only be less. F-1 requirements are actually more stringent than DV when it comes to financial ability. An F-1 must show that he has enough money to live for a year, plus tuition and health insurance. For college that's usually north of $30,000 these days.

Having somebody fills out an I-134 can only help, but don't be discouraged if you can't find one. Just submit the application with the bank statements that got you the I-20. Unless you get a very inexperienced IO it shouldn't be an issue.

Will it be a decision if I'll transfer all the money from back home to here, and send the statement from American bank??

Will it be a decision if I'll transfer all the money from back home to here, and send the statement from American bank??

Having the statement generated by a local American bank would give the officer more confidence, but it's not strictly required. If you can do it then go ahead. People are routinely approved for I-20s using foreign bank statements, like you did.

Thanks everybody

Have you made the DV payment and do you have the payment receipt back? Have you completed the medical exam and you have the sealed forms back from your CS? If yes to both of these questions, you can go ahead and send in your I-485 package without the 2NL since you CN is current in October. I wouldn't out-rightly say you don't need the 2NL, some IOs have made a point of asking for it at the time of the interview if it wasn't included in the original I-485 package. Just be sure to take it along to your interview, regardless of whether it was included in the application package or not.

On a side note, I was wondering if there was any particular reason you decided to use a lawyer for this process because your case seems quite straight forward enough to me. Since you've engaged the services of a lawyer already, be sure to stay on top of things though yourself, a lot of immigration lawyers do not have a good grasp of the DV process.

Thanks Sm1smom and all of you guys for your thoughts. The problem was that I got a bit overwhelmed by the whole situation and thought that it would be a good idea to get some professional help, following the recommendation of an Immigration Book I bought a couple of years ago when I started the H1B process.

To be honest, after reading this forum I realized it was the wrong decision. My lawyers are not that bad, but I hate the fact that they didn't provide a clear explanation such as the spreadsheet I found in this forum. So I was blind until a couple of days ago. As I mentioned, they sent the initial documents in mid August. Now I know better and I'll start to push the next steps (paying DV fees and medical examinations).

Having a low low case number was a blessing so now I understand the steps and can't waste time. Thanks again for creating this discussion!

Hi All,

Could someone please point me to a USCIS link/instructions/form where DV lottery selectees are requested to provide financial information in their AOS package?

Thanks!

Hi All,

Could someone please point me to a USCIS link/instructions/form where DV lottery selectees are requested to provide financial information in their AOS package?

Thanks!
Page 13 of the DV 2014 instructions:
http://travel.state.gov/pdf/DV_2014_Instructions.pdf

"... If you are selected to apply for a DV, you will be required to provide evidence that you will not become a public charge in the United States before being issued a visa. This evidence may be in the form of a combination of your personal assets, an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) from a relative or friend residing in the United States, and/or an offer of employment from an employer in the United States."

Page 13 of the DV 2014 instructions:
http://travel.state.gov/pdf/DV_2014_Instructions.pdf

"... If you are selected to apply for a DV, you will be required to provide evidence that you will not become a public charge in the United States before being issued a visa. This evidence may be in the form of a combination of your personal assets, an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) from a relative or friend residing in the United States, and/or an offer of employment from an employer in the United States."

Thanks Hexa. Appreciate it!

Is there a problem if DV 2014 winner apply for DV 2015?

Does any one know if applying for DV 2015 is going to effect the DV 2014 winner in case if he win again and the interview was after May 2014 where the results of DV 2015 will be announced on that month or even if he didn't win, is going to effect?
:confused:

Does any one know if applying for DV 2015 is going to effect the DV 2014 winner in case if he win again and the interview was after May 2014 where the results of DV 2015 will be announced on that month or even if he didn't win, is going to effect?
:confused:

There is no problem winning in DV2015 even if you are already a DV2014 winner. It won't affect your DV2014 win at all - and if you have a high number it is a good idea to enter....

There is no problem winning in DV2015 even if you are already a DV2014 winner. It won't affect your DV2014 win at all - and if you have a high number it is a good idea to enter....

That's absolutely correct. The gov't purposely avoided using the term "winner", because even if you get a number it is no guarantee that you will get a visa/green card. The letter says you are "selected for further processing", and that the number of applicants selected is greater than the number of visas available. Technically you're not a winner until you have that visa in your passport and/or the green card. As such, you are free to apply for the next year DV.

There's somebody on this forum who has a high DV2013 number and he couldn't get the interview in time, so he's not getting a green card this year. Fortunately he entered and is also selected for DV2014 with a lower number, so he gets another chance at getting GC. I bet he'd enter DV2015 too just to be safe.

Even if you already have a green card there's nothing in the law that punishes you for entering the lottery. It's pointless, of course, but not illegal.

Why would you need to apply for another I-20 after sending in your AOS package? If you do that, you stand a HIGH risk of having BOTH applications denied as they are 2 contradictory applications! You can attend grad school, or any other program you're interested in doing once your AOS process successfully concludes.

The reason for that is to stay in status. Right now, I just started my grace period because I am done with my current test prep school. So, I will enroll in a program that will give me an I-20 and commence in January 2014. This program will conclude in May 2014 and I would not be able to extend it. In April, I will send my AOS package and might get an interview in July/August. So, if I don't get a new I-20 after May, then I will be out of status at the time of the interview. This is why I would need a new I-20 from a gradschool in September.

If this all is too risky, then I will just be in a writing intensive english school for a year and take classes in local community college to just be safe and not stand a chance of I-20 denial and all that.

That's absolutely correct. The gov't purposely avoided using the term "winner", because even if you get a number it is no guarantee that you will get a visa/green card. The letter says you are "selected for further processing", and that the number of applicants selected is greater than the number of visas available. Technically you're not a winner until you have that visa in your passport and/or the green card. As such, you are free to apply for the next year DV.

There's somebody on this forum who has a high DV2013 number and he couldn't get the interview in time, so he's not getting a green card this year. Fortunately he entered and is also selected for DV2014 with a lower number, so he gets another chance at getting GC. I bet he'd enter DV2015 too just to be safe.

Even if you already have a green card there's nothing in the law that punishes you for entering the lottery. It's pointless, of course, but not illegal.

Can't it technically benefit conditional green card holders? Those who married a US citizen, did an investment or other kinds of binding conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.