• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Spice2013,

Just curious what's your Biometrics date ?

I am sorry to hear about your case. It is so strange how they process these packages; we all did the same thing! I think sending after October 1st might be a good idea (perhaps that is why the other applicant who sent theirs in in August was also rejected?). Besides, that is next week anyway.

I have received the email and the text yesterday. Did you receive you I797?

Yes, I received it last week (I update the timeline so that I don't bug everyone here with my news - especially when others are not in the same place in the process). Can you update the timeline with your information too? https://docs.google.com/a/vt.edu/sp...QL_-yUzJdDdvdFREMkNDeFNDVzFzblo2bkFYclE#gid=0

I also received the email a few days ago, even though the text and official letter in the mail came last week. the bio letter came yesterday but the date on it says it was issued on the 18th. it is another I-797 since it too is an official notice from USCIS.

This is a post about the forms and notices, with pictures: http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=31412

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my biometrics letter! Praise God for answering prayers!

The biometrics date is set for 10/09/2013. I know people have done walk-ins but I have never heard of an applicant at this ASC (Charleston, WV) who did a walk-in so I am not sure about whether I should try it. Should I call to ask? It will help a lot if I could choose another day to go because of my school schedule and because the office is 2.5hrs away. Can anyone advise?

Also, do they wait to schedule interviews after the biometrics is done? It doesnt seem that way from previous timelines. Or do they go ahead and schedule as long as the bio letter has been issued? if doing a walk-in biometric at an earlier date will result in an earlier interview then it is definitely worth trying. any insights?

This is awesome. Great news for all of us!

By the looks of it, this new memo is a real game changer. How come it was never noticed or used before? (Isn't the only new thing the fact that you can file even before the FY begins?)

This is awesome. Great news for all of us!

By the looks of it, this new memo is a real game changer. How come it was never noticed or used before? (Isn't the only new thing the fact that you can file even before the FY begins?)
how did you make the links in your signature so small?????

Financial Document for I-485/Interview

Hi Guys,
I am a graduate student and work as Teaching Assistant(F-1 visa). I make about 22K/year. My wife is selected(principle applicant) who is on F-2 Visa. Being on F-2 she has no bank account or any financial assets. So my questions are:
1. Can I put my w-2, pay stuffs, etc. into her application packet? Which is basically saying I am sponsoring her. And of course I will be putting the same documents in my packet.
2. But since she is the primary applicant and has no income, does she needs affidavit of support I-134 from a US citizen?
3. Is our income is sufficient to prove that we will not be a public charge? If we need affidavit of support, do we need for both of us or only her?

We have some relatives here from whom we could ask I-134 if really needed. So we need some advise from the person who has gone through the similar situation.

Thanks a lot in advance.
1. Your packet will be in the same envelope as your wife's, so there's no need to put a copy under hers. My wife didn't work either (H-4) and I didn't put my financial documents in hers. Come to think of it, I didn't even include my financial documents in the envelope, I simply brought them to the interview.
2. She doesn't need affidavit of support, because you are her support. Just make sure you enclose a copy of your marriage certificate in the packet, and bring the original to the interview.
3. According to CIS poverty guidelines your income for a family of 2 is sufficient. http://www.uscis.gov/i-864p Since your wife will be able to work after she receives the green card, your income can only increase, so the IO shouldn't be concerned. If she has any education beyond high school, include a copy of the diploma(s) as well to further strengthen the case that she can earn a living.

I got my biometrics letter! Praise God for answering prayers!

The biometrics date is set for 10/09/2013. I know people have done walk-ins but I have never heard of an applicant at this ASC (Charleston, WV) who did a walk-in so I am not sure about whether I should try it. Should I call to ask? It will help a lot if I could choose another day to go because of my school schedule and because the office is 2.5hrs away. Can anyone advise?

Also, do they wait to schedule interviews after the biometrics is done? It doesnt seem that way from previous timelines. Or do they go ahead and schedule as long as the bio letter has been issued? if doing a walk-in biometric at an earlier date will result in an earlier interview then it is definitely worth trying. any insights?

Congrats Spice2013. Looks like you're the trend setter on this thread :) The ASC on your biometric notice, is that the closest one to you?

FOs usually schedule interviews based on their own work load, so it's possible for them to go ahead and schedule an interview before biometric has taken place

1. Your packet will be in the same envelope as your wife's, so there's no need to put a copy under hers. My wife didn't work either (H-4) and I didn't put my financial documents in hers. Come to think of it, I didn't even include my financial documents in the envelope, I simply brought them to the interview.
2. She doesn't need affidavit of support, because you are her support. Just make sure you enclose a copy of your marriage certificate in the packet, and bring the original to the interview.
3. According to CIS poverty guidelines your income for a family of 2 is sufficient. http://www.uscis.gov/i-864p Since your wife will be able to work after she receives the green card, your income can only increase, so the IO shouldn't be concerned. If she has any education beyond high school, include a copy of the diploma(s) as well to further strengthen the case that she can earn a living.

Thanks a lot Hexa!

1. So what you are saying is both of our documents will be on the same envelope. I read somewhere in the forum that you submit two different envelopes for each but mail to Chicago putting them inside a single envelope.
2. If you send in single envelope for both then everything will be same except two different I-485 forms?
3. Did they asked you guys about I-134? I read somewhere in the forum that sometimes they asked that even if you have income above poverty line.
4. My wife has bachelors degree from a foreign country. She has not joined the college here yet. I will include the transcript of her bachelors degree as well.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot Hexa!

1. So what you are saying is both of our documents will be on the same envelope. I read somewhere in the forum that you submit two different envelopes for each but mail to Chicago putting them inside a single envelope.
2. If you send in single envelope for both then everything will be same except two different I-485 forms?
3. Did they asked you guys about I-134? I read somewhere in the forum that sometimes they asked that even if you have income above poverty line.
4. My wife has bachelors degree from a foreign country. She has not joined the college here yet. I will include the transcript of her bachelors degree as well.

Thanks.

Read the first link in my signature.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking forward to participating in this thread and learning all about this DV process!

I've done my best to read through every single post up until this page, but still not sure about the timing of DSP-122.

CN: EU00028xxx doing AOS as best option and my country selected last year less than 700 people and out of that only about 350 got the visas.

About me: I'm an F1 student, who's OPT card expired in February 2013. Then, I used about 30 days of grace period to switch my I-20 from my university to MCAT test prep program that began in April 2013. Now, my MCAT test prep program is coming to an end and I-20 expires on October 1st. There is no way I can extend it, so I have to switch to some place else.

My question: Since my most recent I-20 was issued to me in April 2013, should I send out the DSP-122 right now before my current I-20 expires on October 1st or should I get a new I-20 from another school, then wait 90 days and then send it out? - YOu should probably get a new I-20, wait for 90 days after that before you send in your DSP-122
The thing is I read several times about the bona fide intent and I do intend to continue my studies, but I need time because I won't be able to apply to Master's program until May-June of 2014. So, I can obviously enroll in an Writing Intensive English school (my writing skills suck) on like October 2nd and send out my DSP-122 on January 2nd. However, I would like to enroll into a certificate granting program like Paramedic or Medical Assistant, but those will only begin in January 10th. This is problematic because then it's recommended that I send my DSP-122 only on March/April 2014, yet my number should become current in April 2014.

Can't I technically send it out now before my I-20 expires on October 1st and then just sit on my grace period for a bit and then enroll into a certificate granting program at local college or community college? Another thing I could do is the writing intensive classes at English school and then transfer to a certificate/degree granting college.

Okay, let's get something straight here. Bona fide intent is not quite the issue at stake for you as a F1 visa holder hoping to file for AOS. F1 is NOT a DUAL-INTENT visa. Meaning people with F1 visas are granted the visa with the understanding that they have a strong tie to their home country and they have no intention of staying permanently in the US, and they will be returning to their home country at the end of the program(s). Once you send in your DSP form, you have declared an immigration intent, you can't then go back and request to be granted a non immigrant stay. If you send in your DSP before your current I-20 expires, then go back and file for a new I-20, followed by an AOS filing when your CN becomes current, you could be slammed with immigration fraud.

If you're doing AOS, there's no big rush for sending in the DSP-Form. Since you don't necessarily have a low CN, you should be ok sending it in maybe early 2014, after you've sorted your current immigration status and you've waited the necessary number of days before displaying your immigrant intent. Going by past VBs, your CN isn't likely to be current before April 2014 anyways. So I suggest you sort out your current status first.
You need to speak with an immigration lawyer highly knowledgeable in DV lottery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot Hexa!

Thanks.
1. Whether each application is separated by envelopes or simply clipped together makes no difference, as long as everything is sent together in a single mailing envelope. Here's a link to the official filing tips: http://1.usa.gov/19ClaXT
2. They don't have to be identical, but it's important that each application satisfies every requirement.
3. No, my IO didn't ask me about I-134, but he did ask me for pay stubs to prove that I'm still working for the sponsoring company, and therefore still in status.

Response below:

Thanks a lot Hexa!

1. So what you are saying is both of our documents will be on the same envelope. I read somewhere in the forum that you submit two different envelopes for each but mail to Chicago putting them inside a single envelope. - Yes, you can put each application, with their supporting document in individual envlope, or put them inside insertable sheet protectors, then mail out together in one envelope. Bottom line is each application should be distinct and separately packed.

2. If you send in single envelope for both then everything will be same except two different I-485 forms? - Each application must have it's own set of applicable supporting documents

3. Did they asked you guys about I-134? I read somewhere in the forum that sometimes they asked that even if you have income above poverty line. - If asked, you explain your income is above poverty line

Thanks.

Congrats Spice2013. Looks like you're the trend setter on this thread :) The ASC on your biometric notice, is that the closest one to you?

FOs usually schedule interviews based on their own work load, so it's possible for them to go ahead and schedule an interview before biometric has taken place

Thanks for the response, Sm1smom. It is the closest one to me. I think I will just wait on the scheduled appointment, it is in two weeks anyway.
I am hoping to get an interview before end of October. It would be so nice to get all this over and done with!

Has anybody been successful in getting their insurance to cover the Medical?

Any tips that you could share? Is there a certain way the Civil Surgeon should code it? Do they already know how to do it?

Any civil surgeon that is willing to bill the medical exam to an applicant's medical insurance already knows the correct code to use. Such a CS will not bill upfront, but the truth is most are not willing to do that. As a matter of fact, some will even insist of cash payment only for the service.

The civil surgeons who cover my area work for a non-profit clinic that focuses on low-income families, who are usually uninsured. A good percentage of their customers are uninsured low income immigrants, which is probably part of the reason they retain USCIS-certified civil surgeons on staff as part of their service. As such they don't want to handle the complication and expense of dealing with insurance companies.

Okay, let's get something straight here. Bona fide intent is not quite the issue at stake for you as a F1 visa holder hoping to file for AOS. F1 is NOT a DUAL-INTENT visa. Meaning people with F1 visas are granted the visa with the understanding that they have a strong tie to their home country and they have no intention of staying permanently in the US, and they will be returning to their home country at the end of the program(s). Once you send in your DSP form, you have declared an immigration intent, you can't then go back and request to be granted a non immigrant stay. If you send in your DSP before your current I-20 expires, then go back and file for a new I-20, followed by an AOS filing when your CN becomes current, you could be slammed with immigration fraud.

If you're doing AOS, there's no big rush for sending in the DSP-Form. Since you don't necessarily have a low CN, you should be ok sending it in maybe early 2014, after you've sorted your current immigration status and you've waited the necessary number of days before displaying your immigrant intent. Going by past VBs, your CN isn't likely to be current before April 2014 anyways. So I suggest you sort out your current status first.
You need to speak with an immigration lawyer highly knowledgeable in DV lottery.

So, what do you is a better option:

a) Enroll into English school that will give me an I-20 for 1 year with the possibility of extending it, if need be for indefinite amout of time. If I enroll in October 2013, then my I-20 will only be expiring in October 2014, which is enough to cover me until the end of fiscal 2014.

b) Enroll into a program that is 1 semester long and I-20 expiring in May 2014; then, I'd transfer to a Master's program. Do you think it could be problematic for me to transfer my I-20 after I file for DSP-122 and do the AOS in April?

Thanks for your previous reply and I really appreciate your time clarifying this. I also understand that it is just your opinion and not a legal advice!

So, what do you is a better option:

a) Enroll into English school that will give me an I-20 for 1 year with the possibility of extending it, if need be for indefinite amout of time. If I enroll in October 2013, then my I-20 will only be expiring in October 2014, which is enough to cover me until the end of fiscal 2014.

b) Enroll into a program that is 1 semester long and I-20 expiring in May 2014; then, I'd transfer to a Master's program. Do you think it could be problematic for me to transfer my I-20 after I file for DSP-122 and do the AOS in April?

Thanks for your previous reply and I really appreciate your time clarifying this. I also understand that it is just your opinion and not a legal advice!
I would just enroll in the English program until the DV process has been completed. If it's completed early, great, you can immediately terminate the English program to enroll in the master's. If it drags on, you remain in status until they give you a decision. In any case you HAVE to be in status at the time they render the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.