• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what do you is a better option:

a) Enroll into English school that will give me an I-20 for 1 year with the possibility of extending it, if need be for indefinite amout of time. If I enroll in October 2013, then my I-20 will only be expiring in October 2014, which is enough to cover me until the end of fiscal 2014.

b) Enroll into a program that is 1 semester long and I-20 expiring in May 2014; then, I'd transfer to a Master's program. Do you think it could be problematic for me to transfer my I-20 after I file for DSP-122 and do the AOS in April?

Thanks for your previous reply and I really appreciate your time clarifying this. I also understand that it is just your opinion and not a legal advice!

You've been given an opportunity of a lifetime. Don't mess with it!

Take the prudently cautious route. Be patient and in no time you'll be free of all these chains of intricacy forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any civil surgeon that is willing to bill the medical exam to an applicant's medical insurance already knows the correct code to use. Such a CS will not bill upfront, but the truth is most are not willing to do that. As a matter of fact, some will even insist of cash payment only for the service.

Well it's not just billing to Insurance. For people with a high deductible plan, like myself, the service should be coded as "preventive care" to have any advantage.

Have you heard of any success stories, particularly in the NYC are?

I read that the cost could be around $450. Is that per person, or for a couple?

Thanks for replies!

a) Enroll into English school that will give me an I-20 for 1 year with the possibility of extending it, if need be for indefinite amout of time. If I enroll in October 2013, then my I-20 will only be expiring in October 2014, which is enough to cover me until the end of fiscal 2014.

b) Enroll into a program that is 1 semester long and I-20 expiring in May 2014; then, I'd transfer to a Master's program. Do you think it could be problematic for me to transfer my I-20 after I file for DSP-122 and do the AOS in April?

Thanks for your previous reply and I really appreciate your time clarifying this. I also understand that it is just your opinion and not a legal advice!

I would go with option 1 if I was in your shoes.

Thanks for realizing that the information I'm providing are personal opinions! :)

Well it's not just billing to Insurance. For people with a high deductible plan, like myself, the service should be coded as "preventive care" to have any advantage.

Have you heard of any success stories, particularly in the NYC are?

I read that the cost could be around $450. Is that per person, or for a couple?

Thanks for replies!

Yes, any CS that's willing to bill your medical insurance will code it as preventative care. But like I wrote earlier, most of them are not. It's to their advantage to bill the patient directly as they get to receive more money for the service unlink the negotiated payment insurance will make.

I think 'Kazore' on the DV 2013 AOS thread was able to find a NY CS that directly billed their medical insurance, if I'm not mixing this user up with some one else. You can PM him/her to find out or spend some time on that thread to get the info for the CS that was used as it was also posted on that thread.

And yes, the price is usually per person!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, any CS that's willing to bill your medical insurance will code it as preventative care. But like I wrote earlier, most of them are not. It's to their advantage to bill the patient directly as they get to receive more money for the service unlink the negotiated payment insurance will make.

I think 'Kazore' on the DV 2013 AOS thread was able to find a NY CS that directly billed their medical insurance, if I'm not mixing this user up with some one else. You can PM him/her to find out or spend some time on that thread to get the info for the CS that was used as it was also posted on that thread.

Thank you for the lead :) much appreciated.

To be quite honest, the idea to study in an IEP after having completed a BA and an OPT may cause the question "Why".

I would just enroll in the English program until the DV process has been completed. If it's completed early, great, you can immediately terminate the English program to enroll in the master's. If it drags on, you remain in status until they give you a decision. In any case you HAVE to be in status at the time they render the decision.

This is probably why I will take a safer route, because wouldn't that be something not to able to transfer my I-20 and be pretty much screwed. Thanks, Hexa.

You've been given an opportunity of a lifetime. Don't mess with it!

Take the prudently cautious route. Be patient and in no time you'll be free of all these chains of intricacy forever.

Thanks c1984, yes, this is why this forum is a start and everyone's input definitely eases the process and stress levels!

To be quite honest, the idea to study in an IEP after having completed a BA and an OPT may cause the question "Why".

This is what worries me a lot, too. However, what I was thinking of doing is enroll into couple of college courses. I would just have to make sure I could juggle both at the same time and not be late to anywhere.

I would go with option 1 if I was in your shoes.

Thanks for realizing that the information I'm providing are personal opinions! :)

This is what I'm leaning towards also :D and yeah, just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that I will not hold anyone accountable.

Also, side question, are any of you going to participate in DV 2015 lottery? Seems like it in no way will affect the 2014.

This is probably why I will take a safer route, because wouldn't that be something not to able to transfer my I-20 and be pretty much screwed. Thanks, Hexa.
No problem. The other route is consular processing, but I think you don't want to do it due to the enormous hassle and expense involved (moving, packing, etc.) While there won't be any question about your motivation in transferring your I-20, you would be completely at the mercy of the consular officer. If the CO doesn't like you for any reason, you have no avenue to appeal.

KCC package: DSP122 + Bar sheet and no photos

Hi guys,

I will be doing AOS.
My CN is relatively high. For that reason I was not in hurry to send DSP-122 yet.

Does anybody know if photos are required in DSP-122 package for those doing AOS?
I-485 package will include photos anyway. Why KCC would need photos for AOS selectees?

Thanks!

Current in October, no 2nd NL yet

Hello guys, my wife won the DV 2014 and she's on a H4 Visa until Sept 2014. I am on a H1B. Her case is 2014SA000004XX, which means it's going to be current in October.

Our lawyers sent the documents in mid August 2013 and we have not received the 2nd NL yet. According to what I read in the forum, the process is taking a while (anything between 4-10 weeks). I sent an email to KCC today to check the status which I know may also take a while to get a response.

Considering my case is going to be current next month:

Do you think I'm closer to get the 2nd NL?
What do you thing about our case?
Can we send the AOS package without that document?

I regret to say that we relied on our lawyers, but to be honest this forums is way more helpful and clear. Congratulations to all and thanks for the spreadsheet as well!

PS: I posted some questions yesterday but somehow that post never appeared in the discussion.

Hello guys, my wife won the DV 2014 and she's on a H4 Visa until Sept 2014. I am on a H1B. Her case is 2014SA000004XX, which means it's going to be current in October.

Our lawyers sent the documents in mid August 2013 and we have not received the 2nd NL yet. According to what I read in the forum, the process is taking a while (anything between 4-10 weeks). I sent an email to KCC today to check the status which I know may also take a while to get a response.

I regret to say that we relied on our lawyers, but to be honest this forums is way more helpful and clear. Congratulations to all and thanks for the spreadsheet as well!

PS: I posted some questions yesterday but somehow that post never appeared in the discussion.

You don't need the AOS confirmation e-mail (2NL) from the KCC.

Go ahead a pay the DV fee ($330 per person). You will receive the receipt of payment in about 10 days. You need to include that receipt in your AOS package. Do your medical and file your AOS package ASAP.

Check post #898 on page 30.

We made a few phone calls today. None offered that they would bill our Insurance plan, because "it's not medically necessary" they said. Methinks it's more for the reason you pointed out.

No problem. The other route is consular processing, but I think you don't want to do it due to the enormous hassle and expense involved (moving, packing, etc.) While there won't be any question about your motivation in transferring your I-20, you would be completely at the mercy of the consular officer. If the CO doesn't like you for any reason, you have no avenue to appeal.

Yeah, no, the AOS is only way for me, because I haven't left the country in like 5 years, because of various internships during summers or school complications; besides, my family visited me here and there, so I saved money on air travel and things like that.

I just don't know if they would issue me another I-20 for Master's, once I send out my AOS package. Since the USCIS will receive two things on my behalf: issue me a new I-20 for Graduate school, because I'm trying to switch from a program that is about to conclude, and an AOS. They would think I'm trying to BS them, which I'm not, because I do truly want to go to Gradschool.

I got confused about financial support, as an F1 student my family is my sponsor, and I got 2 bank statements from overseas, one for me and one for my father! Is it enough or do I need smth else besides?

Email from KCC

Hello there, I am new to the forum. I am also a DV-2014 winner, my number is AS4XXX-5XXX. I have been reading and learning a lot from this forum since I found out I was selected. btw, I am doing AOS, and I sent the form to KCC in mid-June (confirmed they received it through email)

Today, I got an email from KCC, its a notification letter saying I should do AOS with the local USCIS office when my number is current. I am kind of confused coz I see many of you and DV-2013 winners sent their forms to chicago office instead of local USCIS office. Is it a new thing? Have any of you received this same email???

I got confused about financial support, as an F1 student my family is my sponsor, and I got 2 bank statements from overseas, one for me and one for my father! Is it enough or do I need smth else besides?

As long as the bank statements are recent enough and the amount is sufficient to cover a year of living cost (which is required for F-1 anyway), you should be ok. If you submit the AOS in, say, March, it's a good idea to have bank statements for February.

Hello there, I am new to the forum. I am also a DV-2014 winner, my number is AS4XXX-5XXX. I have been reading and learning a lot from this forum since I found out I was selected. btw, I am doing AOS, and I sent the form to KCC in mid-June (confirmed they received it through email)

Today, I got an email from KCC, its a notification letter saying I should do AOS with the local USCIS office when my number is current. I am kind of confused coz I see many of you and DV-2013 winners sent their forms to chicago office instead of local USCIS office. Is it a new thing? Have any of you received this same email???

As of today form I-485 (adjustment of status) for DV applicants must be sent to USCIS Chicago Lockbox, this is written specifically in the I-485 instructions. The file will then be routed to your local USCIS office; the interview letter will come from this local office.

Have you made the DV payment and do you have the payment receipt back? Have you completed the medical exam and you have the sealed forms back from your CS? If yes to both of these questions, you can go ahead and send in your I-485 package without the 2NL since you CN is current in October. I wouldn't out-rightly say you don't need the 2NL, some IOs have made a point of asking for it at the time of the interview if it wasn't included in the original I-485 package. Just be sure to take it along to your interview, regardless of whether it was included in the application package or not.

On a side note, I was wondering if there was any particular reason you decided to use a lawyer for this process because your case seems quite straight forward enough to me. Since you've engaged the services of a lawyer already, be sure to stay on top of things though yourself, a lot of immigration lawyers do not have a good grasp of the DV process.

Status
Not open for further replies.